• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
RIO DE JANEIRO — Brazil on Sunday became the latest country to drift toward the far right, electing a strident populist as president in the nation's most radical political change since democracy was restored more than 30 years ago.

The new president, Jair Bolsonaro, has exalted the country's military dictatorship, advocated torture and threatened to destroy, jail or drive into exile his political opponents.

He won by tapping into a deep well of resentment at the status quo in Brazil — a country whiplashed by rising crime and two years of political and economic turmoil — and by presenting himself as the alternative.

Mr. Bolsonaro, who will take the helm of Latin America's biggest nation, is farther to the right than any president in the region, where voters have recently embraced more conservative leaders in Argentina, Chile, Peru, Paraguay and Colombia. He joins a number of far-right politicians who have risen to power around world, including Italy's deputy prime minister, Matteo Salvini, and Prime Minister Viktor Orbán of Hungary.

Scott Mainwaring
, a professor at Harvard University's Kennedy School of Government who specializes in Brazil. "I can't think of a more extremist leader in the history of democratic elections in Latin America who has been elected."

With 92 percent of votes counted, Mr. Bolsonaro was ahead with 55 percent, carving out a significant advantage over Fernando Haddad of the leftist Workers' Party, who had 44 percent.

More on the article:
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/28/world/americas/jair-bolsonaro-brazil-election.html

Yeah, we brazilians are fucked now. It was already expected but it's horrible to see this turning true. I can only hope for the minorities to be safe and for this country not getting much worse in those 4 years because that's a nightmare.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
I wonder why the NYTimes didn't mention one other Far-right Populist in the Americas...

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This is what people feared would happen in the early 1900s, and look at where we are heading. The spread of Facism is alive and well.

Be safe BrazilERA

Metal B

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not only is that bad for the country, but if they destroy the rain forest, it will be a disaster for the world. I hope, my country makes the right decision and applies sanctions against this regime, which will rise up ...

Google, Facebook and Twitter and all the corrupt 1% really do there best to destroy the world .. while normal people just buy into it ... it is really the darkest timeline.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Trump, this cunt, the rise of far right groups in Europe. It's like its not "shameful" to show youre a piece of shit anymore, so they are all coming out of the woodworks and taking over.

Legit scary.

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
That was expected, sadly. Let's keep united and resisting, fellow Brazilians.

I'm vastly ashamed of the state I live in. São Paulo elected
Eduardo Bolsonaro, Joice Hasselmann, Marco Feliciano, Celso Russomanno, Janaína Paschoal, Alexandre Frota, Arthur Mamãe Falei, Kim Kataguiri, Tiririca, João Doria and Jair Bolsonaro.

On the other hand, I'm absolutely proud of our northeastern brothers and sisters. Bolsonaro lost in every northeastern state, proving that our people up there aren't willing to give hate and intolerance a chance.

Stay safe, BrazilERA.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Terrible news. I can't believe people vote for dictators like that.

My condolences to y'all in Brazil. Be safe.

cvbas

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I feel terrible. I'm scared for my future, the future of my country and the lives of my LGBTQ+ friends.

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It seems like the future is just preparing to make more conflict, not less...

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
The world is sliding into a gutter.

Countless people died to defend the world from this shit in WW2 and people just vote it back in.

Andrew Lucas

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
And how is he going to quell the violence over there? Damn

I don't think he even knows. But, it's something like, 16 years old should be able to get in jail, guns for citizens, more power to the police, military schools... and that's basically it. I don't think he wants to cut the roots that can cause the violence we have to deal with everyday, just reactionary measures.

TerminusFox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"I have no doubts – I would begin the coup on the very first day! And I am sure that at least 90% of the people would commemorate or give me an ovation. The Congress today is good for nothing, they only vote in favor of the president's projects. If he is the person who makes the decisions, who calls the shots, who laughs at the Congress, then start the coup at once, and let's make this a dictatorship"

This is a real quote from him

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
You know what?

Fuck everyone who ever said we had to engage with hate rather than fight it.
Fuck everyone who ever said that punching a Nazi makes you as bad as them.
Fuck everyone who pulled the "both sides" narrative.
Fuck everyone who identifies as a centrist.

You caused this.

Fascism isn't rising, it's here and now you're faced with the question of what you would do if the Nazis were here now.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
Mankind is spiraling towards something really sad and bad.

It's sad and I fear for what's to come. People should be ashamed of voting for this person.

OP
OP

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That was expected, sadly. Let's keep united and resisting, fellow Brazilians.

I'm vastly ashamed of the state I live in. São Paulo elected
Eduardo Bolsonaro, Joice Hasselmann, Marco Feliciano, Celso Russomanno, Janaína Paschoal, Alexandre Frota, Arthur Mamãe Falei, Kim Kataguiri, Tiririca, João Doria and Jair Bolsonaro.

On the other hand, I'm absolutely proud of our northeastern brothers and sisters. Bolsonaro lost in every northeastern state, proving that our people up there aren't willing to give hate and intolerance a chance.

Stay safe, BrazilERA.

Jesus, man. SP elections were such a shithole. I'm still impressed that fucking Frota and Mamãe falei are elected.

Ozgiliath

Alt-Account
Aug 13, 2018
Fucking hell brazil.

You've just killed democracy you had build up after a dictatorship and now it sunk even harder.

This fascist will destroy the beautiful amazon forests to open it up for oil and gas, LGBTQ rights are at stake and a whole lot more.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
He won by tapping into a deep well of resentment at the status quo in Brazil — a country whiplashed by rising crime and two years of political and economic turmoil — and by presenting himself as the alternative.

the fact that some version of this can be copy/pasted as the reason for so many of these elections the past couple years is both terrifying and also kind of insane. It's really beyond me how, as a species, we continue to diagnose the problems around us as being needed to be solved by the worst possible person presented to us as a leader.

Last edited: