• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That is a big chunk of the Americas under very right wing control.

In a very short period of time where everyone was focused on Europe's far right.

Jan 10, 2018
People, I just want to say I love everyone from this community. I'm sad, exhausted but most of all dissappointed. I just hope that we and our loved ones stay safe. As someone that recently came out as a non-binary person to my family and saw resistence from some of them but also love I just hope we can find above all safety and happiness. I'm sorry for the rambling, just wanted to get some things out of my chest.

We are with you. Stay safe, say when you need something.

Jan 7, 2018
How much power does state level government hold in Brazil? Will more liberal areas be able to resist Bolsonaro? Is it the same rural conservatives VS urban liberals situation that we have in the US?
Less than the US states do. No, there's no conservative rural/liberal urban area divide. There's a leftist northeast, right wing center/southeast/south division. This does not mean the northeast is less socially conservative, though.
Bolsonaro won by huge margins in São Paulo (60 to 40%) and Rio de Janeiro (65% to 35%).

Sblargh

Oct 25, 2017
Not just here. Dude basically will allow the Amazon Forest to become a parking lot.

Good luck to everyone IN THE WORLD

Exactly, do not pity us, do your part because you're in the same boat.
Win those goddamn midterms and let's start dismantling this international rise of fascism before it is too late.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
I hope the majority of those who voted for this cunt outside of Brazil buy their tickets back home.

A shame. The world is truly moving full gear into the gutter.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I told people before, Bolsonaro won the election the moment he took that knife wound in his stomach.

pakbeka

Oct 29, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Inflammatory false equivalence concerning fascism. Account still in junior phase.
We were forced to choose between a shit shower or a diarrhea bathtub. I think a good part of foreign media is unaware that in the other side there were no champions of democracy.

Brazil would be fucked either way, we can at least pray that in the next 4 years a new progressive and liberal political leader will ascend.

year3255

Oct 25, 2018
from: https://www.hrw.org/news/2018/10/28/brazil-urgent-call-protect-rights
During the presidential campaign, Bolsonaro announced that he would not accept the election results unless he won. He said that "we will shoot" Workers Party supporters and told "leftist outlaws" to either leave the country or find themselves in jail. He said he would like to double the size of the Supreme Courtso that he can pack it with people who share his views. Bolsonaro´s running mate, the retired army general Antônio Hamilton Mourão, raised the possibility of a "self-coup" by the president with support from the armed forces in case of "anarchy."

Dude is fascist and doesn't even hide it. He was voted in with people knowing this.

This also has major consequences for the world in terms of accelerating climate change, especially coming off of the IPCC report. He's backed by the ruling class/agriculture lobby/etc who has been eyeing and licking their lips at the deforestation of the Amazon rainforest and reducing its protections. This was an extremely important election for humanity (as was the one with Trump) in general, at a time when the world really needs to get its shit together to address climate change.

We're fucked.

Deleted member 12352

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bolsonaro sounds like an absolutely monstrous piece of shit. How does this keep happening to the world?

Stay safe Brazil-era.

GrantDaNasty

Oct 27, 2017
My roommate (and work colleague) is from Brazil, is gay and this is very discomforting for him. Likewise, another colleague from Brazil who is of African descent said he spent nights crying as a result of this.

World is going to hell in a handbasket, and it's hard to see the light at times, but damned if it isn't worth fighting for.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
We were forced to choose between a shit shower or a diarrhea bathtub. I think a good part of foreign media is unaware that in the other side there were no champions of democracy
I don't have a good idea what the other candidate was like, but that miserably dumb comparison was used during the Trump/Clinton election. One was clearly worse. You can just vote for the one that's not a hate mongering fascist.

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
I will ignore anybody that ever helped putting Bolsonaro in power, I'll do everything I can do to boycott any business or organization that supports him.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like that's it for the Amazon Rainforest, then.

Fuck.
In regards to the amazon forest, I work at Inpa (National Institute of Amazon Research). Currently we don't have a director, even though there is already someone who is suppose to be given the position but thanks to the fact that he is from PT there is some heavy resistence from some big names in the institute. Sadly I have heard a bunch of these people talking and you can believe me when I say that they have some really dangerous opinions of what should happen to the forest, and these are scientists that should know better but sadly money seems to talk louder.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My one hope is that he will immediately tank the economy, already one of the most fragile big economies in the world, and his rich supporters and poor supporters will absnodon him - but a) hoping for another country to suffer even for a moment, is obviously stupid and not what I mean b) He can do an awful lot of damage - the US has a much stronger system of checks and balances and Trump trampled all over them simply by testing their limits.

And yes OF COURSE Putin was all over it. This one was already primed and ready to go. This international vandal is a serious threat to economies and democracies and it's time that he was isolated and neutered. The Russian people no longer have control over their systems, even if they did object to his behavior. He's found that it's easier to bring people down to your own level than raise yourself up to another's. His idea - reductively - is to make Russia the best of a bad lot.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com...t-tells-us-lawmakers/articleshow/65249727.cms

Plum

May 31, 2018
We were forced to choose between a shit shower or a diarrhea bathtub. I think a good part of foreign media is unaware that in the other side there were no champions of democracy.

Brazil would be fucked either way, we can at least pray that in the next 4 years a new progressive and liberal political leader will ascend.

What is your definition of "fucked"? Were the other side advocating for the complete eradication of the Amazon rainforest, extreme torture, the rape of women, the beating/murder of LGBT+ folk and the subjugation of minorities? If not then, regardless of the corruption scandal that I do know about, I don't see how Brazil and the world would have been equally as "fucked" had the alternative been elected.

In regards to the amazon forest, I work at Inpa (National Institute of Amazon Research). Currently we don't have a director, even though there is already someone who is suppose to be given the position but thanks to the fact that he is from PT there is some heavy resistence from some big names in the institute. Sadly I have heard a bunch of these people talking and you can believe me when I say that they have some really dangerous opinions of what should happen to the forest, and these are scientists that should know better but sadly money seems to talk louder.

Damn, that sounds awful. You'd think scientists would be the ones who'd want to keep things from getting fucked but, as you say, money has more power than anything else in this world. I hope they feel happy on their death beds knowing what future they've left for their children.

It's so hard not to feel pessimistic about the future; it just seems like the forces looking to fuck it over are so incredibly powerful that there is nothing I, or any of us, can do to stop it.

DarthSontin

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
The horrible feedback loop of fascism and climate change is terrifying. Fascists make climate change worse which creates crises that lead to more fascism. The world needs to stop it ASAP.

Piecake

Oct 27, 2017

A major difference is that one of those was a whole lot more likely to result in an election 4 years from now

Ezra

Nov 14, 2017
People, I just want to say I love everyone from this community. I'm sad, exhausted but most of all dissappointed. I just hope that we and our loved ones stay safe. As someone that recently came out as a non-binary person to my family and saw resistence from some of them but also love I just hope we can find above all safety and happiness. I'm sorry for the rambling, just wanted to get some things out of my chest.
Congratulations for coming out to your family, you're very brave!

Just remember that we are not alone, if this fucker tries to harm our community we will fight back.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The horrible feedback loop of fascism and climate change is terrifying. Fascists make climate change worse which creates crises that lead to more fascism. The world needs to stop it ASAP.
That's the point. Sure they'll doom the human race, but they'll be dead long before shit hits the fan so they don't care.

Hoot

Nov 12, 2017
It was nice knowing you, amazonian rainforest.

The world is fucked, and fascism will continue to grow unless people actually now stop thinking that it'll magically get better and actually get out there and fight.

Jan 7, 2018
Honestly, I dislike PT as much as the next guy, but there's no metric in which Haddad is nearly as bad as Bolsonaro. Haddad was a democratic person who was open to dialogue and didn't really defend the economic policies of Dilma which drove the country to the crisis. Nothing bad happened to São Paulo while he was mayor, and the city's budged remained balanced.
The better choice this second round was a no-brainer, and sadly the much worse option won.

cvbas

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
My one hope is that he will immediately tank the economy, already one of the most fragile big economies in the world, and his rich supporters and poor supporters will absnodon him - but a) hoping for another country to suffer even for a moment, is obviously stupid and not what I mean b) He can do an awful lot of damage - the US has a much stronger system of checks and balances and Trump trampled all over them simply by testing their limits.

And yes OF COURSE Putin was all over it. This one was already primed and ready to go. This international vandal is a serious threat to economies and democracies and it's time that he was isolated and neutered. The Russian people no longer have control over their systems, even if they did object to his behavior. He's found that it's easier to bring people down to your own level than raise yourself up to another's. His idea - reductively - is to make Russia the best of a bad lot.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com...t-tells-us-lawmakers/articleshow/65249727.cms

If having a shit economy for 4 years mean our democracy is secure I am all in for this. It sucks, but we do kinda see this as one of the best case scenarios. Bolsonaro would quickly lose support from most of the population and would not be able to do that much damage.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Congratulations for coming out to your family, you're very brave!

Just remember that we are not alone, if this fucker tries to harm our community we will fight back.
Thank you, it was not a easy decision to make but I felt I couldn't live with myself if I didn't go through with it. But now I'm truly happy for having taken this step.

Deleted member 21858

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't have a good idea what the other candidate was like, but that miserably dumb comparison was used during the Trump/Clinton election. One was clearly worse. You can just vote for the one that's not a hate mongering fascist.

I mean, the other party was responsible for the biggest corruption scheme in the history of mankind so... it wasn´t an easy election for brazilians, at all. Brazilians were fucked this time, since you either voted for someone that said terrible things against gays, women and black people (Bolsonaro) or Haddad, who is from the worker´s party and praises Lula every single time. For some people the corruption had more weight and they voted for Bolso. For some people, the things Bolso said had more weight and they voted for Haddad. Much like every TV news network here is saying, the is the election of hate, where people are voting to fuck up PT, so this mostly explains why Bolso won.

Shepherd

Oct 25, 2017
Where have you been? The economy already tanked a few years ago.

Rat King

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal

Most people choose to ignore that, Brazil would never win no matter the outcome. Fuck PT, fuck Bolsonaro.