• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dead Guy

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan, Canada
USA Midterms are on the way and chances are looking better and better for Democrats.

Vote, tell your friends to vote, and keep voting to make things better.

I'm Canadian so I can only really look at the rest of the world right now and watch it burning. The midterms in the US are the last real hope I see on the horizon; if they go poorly I don't think I'll have any hope left.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
It sucks that the whole world seems to be trending in this direction.

We learned nothing from history.

nintendoman58

Oct 25, 2017
Why do people keep saying World War 3 is on the way because of this? I really don't feel like people are actually thinking when they say stuff like that and are more just scared and don't know what to think. Which they're right to feel, but come on, use your brains.

No big-name nation wants to go to war now thanks to nukes and even putting that aside there's literally no benefit for any corporation, country, or whoever to want a war.

Jan 7, 2018
Brazil has already been destroying the amazon tho, go to Google change to satellite imahes and see the Bolivia- Brazil border
Other presidents at least tried to pretend that they wanted to preserve it. Bolsonaro downright said he wants to devastate it as much as possible, and merge the ministries of agriculture and enviroment. You can expect devastation to get way worse.

IIRC he's also a global warming denier.

stat84

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I am saddened that a lot of my favourite Brazilian footballers(like Ronaldinho Cafu and other)of my childhood support this guy.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
Why do people keep saying World War 3 is on the way because of this? I really don't feel like people are actually thinking when they say stuff like that and are more just scared and don't know what to think. Which they're right to feel, but come on, use your brains.

No big-name nation wants to go to war now thanks to nukes and even putting that aside there's literally no benefit for any corporation, country, or whoever to want a war.
Because Pax Americana is dead.

Zed

Oct 28, 2017

Global warming and the depletion of resources in the future are going to hurt many countries around the world making conflict more likely. Also, it should be noted that in WWI chemical weapons were used like candy and in WWII chemical weapons were used much less often on the field of battle when countries fought each other. Its possible saner heads may prevail and nukes may not be used at all.

nintendoman58

Oct 25, 2017
In all seriousness, I'm very worried and feel very sorry for all the people in Brazil that didn't vote for this.

I hope that the damage he does will be minimized by local resistance efforts, and whatever damage he does do will reflect poorly on him by the electorate.

I wager it'll be tougher road than Trump, given just how overwhelming this guy's victory was. But good will can fade over time, and if he makes life worse for a lot of people, he probably won't have an easy time in 2022.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
So when WW III kicks off will Brazil and us Americans be on the same or opposite side?

Don't mind my ultra cynicism right now.

Ceerious

Oct 27, 2017
Asian
I don't think so. Too much of a downside for everyone involved. Besides all that stuff has moved to online "wars". Look at Russia and China's elaborate cyber wars.

Warfare caught up to the Information Age.

I hope you're right.
As a Chinese, I'm just kind of pessimistic, sorry about that. It's a widely discussed topic among Chinese people that, Xi want to take Taiwan by military force in his term. If Taiwan war happen then WW3 is not that far away.

signal

Oct 28, 2017

Right in general but "no benefit for any corporation to want a war" :think:

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I hope you're right.
As a Chinese, I'm just kind of pessimistic, sorry about that. It's a widely discussed topic among Chinese people that, Xi want to take Taiwan by military force in his term. If Taiwan war happen then WW3 is not that far away.
If Xi does that, who is stopping him? Not the US. So I can't see any escalation. Also Taiwan cannot fight China. It will be a surrender.

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
All these "World War 3" fear mongers are forgetting we have already been fighting it since 2001.

972ac1f88797381ab277e7d81514d9a4.png

jman2050

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

The effect of nukes on world diplomacy is a whole other subject altogether (I don't think they've been a net negative necessarily, but I find the idea that nukes have led to a more peaceful world to be myopic nonsense) but ignoring that, the problem is that you only need one group willing to go to war to get all the dominoes falling, and this has never been more true than in a globalized world.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah don't remind me. Without wanting to sound cavalier to the people who are gonna be affected first and foremost by his policies, this is what scares me the most about this result. Hopefully there's some pushback to whatever he'll try to do there.
The crazy thing is that all of these countries that are afraid of immigrants don't realize that it'll only get worse as the climate gets worse. Those near the equators and other affect places will seek to go elsewhere, so actually focusing on preventing climate would actually help with supposed immigration problems.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So, was this aa case of people not going to vote or brazilians were so pissed off with politics that they picked the fascist because reasons?

Oct 25, 2017
In all seriousness, I'm very worried and feel very sorry for all the people in Brazil that didn't vote for this.

I hope that the damage he does will be minimized by local resistance efforts, and whatever damage he does do will reflect poorly on him by the electorate.

I wager it'll be tougher road than Trump, given just how overwhelming this guy's victory was. But good will can fade over time, and if he makes life worse for a lot of people, he probably won't have an easy time in 2022.

You're assuming there will even be elections still in 2022. I see things quickly going like Turkey now in Brazil.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I made the mistake of checking the old sites reaction to this news. It's literally an entire page of fucking morons celebrating his win because the left lost.

Literally "celebrating fascism to own the libs".

How does your life go so wrong that you arrive at that point?

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Couldn't help it, I chuckled.

This guy.

Continuing being easily the worst Obama.

I'm ok now, wiped my tears after a aunt that I use to respect scream at calling me a leech and a child that doesn't know the real world. Thank god there's still some good people on my side, but I won't lie it's hard to hear stuff like that from a family member with that amount of hatred.

LuuKyK

Oct 29, 2017
Brazil
Continuing being easily the worst Obama.

I'm ok now, wiped my tears after a aunt that I use to respect scream at calling me a leech and a child that doesn't know the real world. Thank god there's still some good people on my side, but I won't lie it's hard to hear stuff like that from a family member with that amount of hatred.

Ive just been through something similar. I feel you my friend. In fact my family completely blocked me from their WhatsApp group lmao, like good fucking riddance tbh. At least I've got my parents, and that's all that matters really.

Don't feel bad! You are just getting rid of toxic people from your life! You didn't need them to begin with! Be strong ❤️

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Ive just been through something similar. I feel you my friend. In fact my family completely blocked me from their WhatsApp group lmao, like good fucking riddance tbh. At least I've got my parents, and that's all that matters really.

Don't feel bad! You are just getting rid of toxic people from your life! You didn't need them to begin with! Be strong ❤️
Thank you you are right, the only thing we can do at the moment is protect our loved ones, be strong and keep our convictions.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The writing is on the wall for politicians around the world, so even people in the center or left will start to repeat similar talking points to the right in many countries, many preemptively.

halcali

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Hong Kong SAR
Brazil, USA, Russia, China <-- four out of five of the largest countries in the world are ruled by 'strong men' (fascists, dictators, alt. right nationalists...)

SoundCheck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

A 8 years old child was killed in a Bolsonaro victory celebration. It was a accidental gunshot in the head.