• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
68u1sbc.jpg

Release Date: December 6th, 2017
Publisher: Sony Interactive Entertainment America
Developer: Naughty Dog LLC
Genre: Action
Price: $39.99

PSN Link: (NA)
https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP9000-CUSA02522_00-JADBUNDLE0000001

* Jak 2, Jak 3 and Jak X Combat Racing will also be sold individually for $14.99

Update Overview:
As with all PS2-on-PS4 titles, the Jax games are being up-rezzed to 1080p resolution, and will add current PS4 features such as PlayStation Network trophies, Share Play and Remote Play.

0bVRzkR.png
1tsZ4Sz.png

Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy:
Enter a new world of magic, adventure, exploration, and discovery where enormous vistas and exotic characters lead you to places beyond your imagination. Test your wits and your skills as you embark on a journey to reverse your best friend's transformation into a furry Ottsel, even as he entangles you in his amusing antics. Discover twisted corruption and battle the sinister minds behind this chilling plot. Light Eco. Precursor Technology. Power Cells. Dark Eco. What does it all mean? Only one person holds the secret behind the power of the mysterious Eco. Together you must now take on these endeavors

Jak II
Jak is back in another action-packed adventure, but he's not the same. Experiments with Dark Eco have gone wrong, leaving Jak with an uncontrollable dark side. Accompanied by your trusty friend Daxter, unleash the dark powers on multiple enemies and witness amazing transformations. Armed with powerful weapons, a high-tech jetboard, an impenetrable mech suit, and a number of vehicles at your disposal, you have no excuse for failure.

TY35CmY.png
dddcj2k.png

Jak 3
Jak and his faithful companion Daxter are thrust in the middle of an unforgiving Wasteland where survival of the fittest takes on new meaning. With potent weapons, armor, and vehicles, Jak also discovers that there is an emerging power inside him - the ability to balance Dark Jak and Light Jak. Questions about the mysterious Precursors, the mythical Mar, the fate of the world and the enigmatic Jak himself will be answered, as this most exciting adventure unfolds.

Jak X: Combat Racing
After a mysterious invite brings Jak and Daxter to Kras City, they discover that they have been poisoned by the sinister Krew. Krew proceeds to give the duo an ultimatum - race for him in the next Kras City Grand Championship and receive the poison antidote. Jak and his friends must now race for their lives in the biggest combat racing on the planet - against the best drivers in the world!

* Jak X: Combat Racing won't feature any of the multiplayer that made it so beloved back in the day, as you'll have to settle for split-screen local play instead*

Screens:
6LnnIPW.jpg

2W1thRB.jpg

J3yy17X.jpg

lF1pwpQ.jpg

21Wmq42.jpg

lwTPf43.jpg

Console Comparison:
jmVMPUE.jpg

Videos:
Classics Launch Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pj-ueiUYEbgPS2

Bundle Launch Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DK4jDHCY6Ns

PS3 vs, PS4 Comparison
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Bi7JKq4Yvs

o7W0lAm.jpg

Let me know if anything needs to be updated, removed or added into the OP.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Great OP!

My first time playing 3 and X - looking forward to getting into them later.

Verdanth

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Portugal
So they ported the PS2 version and not the HD one that got released on the PS3?

Thus the difference in image quality (for worse on PS4) between PS3 and PS4?

PS: Lovely title OP.

impact

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa

They're just ps2 rom dumps. They didn't port anything.

Least they could do is render them at 4k on Pro but they don't seem to give many fucks about classics or the Pro.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
I really want to play some Jak X. I hope the individual games go on sale sometime because I've already got the HD collection on PS3 for the other three.

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
Good bundle. I got the 1st game with Uncharted Lost Legacy and it's still cheaper to buy the bundle than just the 3 games i'm missing.

KZXcellent

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Glad the US versions run fine. Was worried since I really wanted to get em. The horrid slowdown for the PAL version had me concerned.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Jak 2 Renegade is the best one. If you're in doubt and only want to play one of them, pick this one. It's the longest, has the best story and characters. 3 and & Daxter have certain parts of better gameplay and a more linear focus but 2 ends up being the biggest bang for your buck IMO. I played 3 for the first time a couple of years ago on PS3. Very disappointing. Clearly a rushed sequel despite packing in a lot of good ideas that end up feeling too tacked on.

PS3 vs, PS4 Comparison
Ummmmm.... Guys? Why does the PS4 version seem to run at 30fps only? Is this just the recording?

artemis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Jak 2 Renegade is the best one. If you're in doubt and only want to play one of them, pick this one. It's the longest, has the best story and characters. 3 and & Daxter have certain parts of better gameplay and a more linear focus but 2 ends up being the biggest bang for your buck IMO. I played 3 for the first time a couple of years ago on PS3. Very disappointing. Clearly a rushed sequel despite packing in a lot of good ideas that end up feeling too tacked on.
I agree. Jak 2 is easily the best one, too bad people are hating it the most.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a shame there's only one good game in this series. It had a lot of potential.

That game isn't Jak 2 by the way.

Anywho, Jak 1 is one of the best 3D platformers of all time and was a clear evolution of Mario 64. Every platformer fan should give it a whirl.

SpecX

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Played the original and damn near 100%'d the game on my PS2. Never touched the sequels, but willing to buy this collection and see what I missed out on over the holidays.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

Ummmmm.... Guys? Why does the PS4 version seem to run at 30fps only? Is this just the recording?

I agree. Jak 2 is easily the best one, too bad people are hating it the most.

I'd say its the best as well but it also has the highest difficulty spikes in the series.

Jak 2 is one of the best 3D platformers ever. Up there with Mario 64

Agreed with these guys above. Jak II is literally almost masterpiece level. Fun story, interesting characters, excellent gameplay. Only thing holding it back are those few difficulty spikes and some frustrating vehicle segments. But even then, it's easily the best game in the trilogy.

Samuel Eames

Nov 22, 2017
St Louis
I was like, 10 when Jak 3 came out, and I remember being dazzled by it. It felt so big.

Going back, though, the precursor legacy is the easiest to jump back into. Not having to deal with the subpar combat or sometimes insanely bad side challenges (the weird bird race in Jak 3 comes to mind) makes it a tighter experience.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
I intend to play Jak 1 for the first time because I got it for free with Uncharted: LL. Jak 2 I beat on PS2 and thought it was fine. The worst parts are driving from mission to mission. It doesn't really add anything and the city is pretty ugly. Jak 3 I liked better than 2 because of the kind of Mad Max vibe mixed with platforming. Jak's character was also less angry.

dylie

Oct 25, 2017
Kind of an annoying bundle deal when you're one of the people who bought Jak and Daxter on PS4 just a couple of months ago lol

Papertoonz

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
oh boy the debate over the best one has started already, it's best to just stay out of it

anyway i have the first one thanks to UC:TLL and i might pick up the rest of them later, i kinda wanna play combat racing again for some reason

Chibs

Nov 5, 2017
Belgium
So... let's be honest here, how big are the chances that Sony will address all these issues in a patch?
Because seriously, Jak 2 is almost unplayable in its current state (PAL version that is).
I'm not sure if I should try and get a refund or wait it out and hope for the best.

LittleTokyo

Oct 30, 2017
I guess they took the 3D features that were in the PS3 version.. I heard good things about those. It makes me want to hunt that version down since my PS3 is currently hooked to my 3D enabled TV.

Myrrh

Oct 29, 2017
What's the word on how these games run on the Pro? The NTSC versions of Jak II, 3 and X all seem to have pretty severe framerate issues on the base PS4.

Aprikurt

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 29, 2017
Are these really better than the PS3 ports then?

I heard bad things about the Vita port but I comfortably Platinum'd Jak I and II, input lag aside.

I guess they took the 3D features that were in the PS3 version.. I heard good things about those. It makes me want to hunt that version down since my PS3 is currently hooked to my 3D enabled TV.
Pretty sure those versions are regularly dirt cheap on PSN.

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
$53.49 for the PS2-on-PS4 collection in Canada. I would of been happy at $40 but $54 just seems crazy when you can get the PS3 collection for $12.99 and then just buy Jak X for $19.99.

tarantullama

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty shitty that people who bought the first game just a few months ago don't get a discount towards the bundle.

ethomaz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Santa Albertina
Glad they choose the superior PS2 version to put on PS4 instead the average port they did on PS3 missing effects, moves and cropping the screen affecting the gameplay.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Can someone with a better understanding explain to me why the (European) version of Jak II runs like this:

Huey

Oct 27, 2017

Seems PS3 is still the best version out there tough...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NC6lmoGdBwQ

It is indeed, they really improved texture streaming in the HD collection for PS3, and given these are just the PS2 isos, they're stuck with the PS2 texture streaming. It took away enough for me to not play through it again, and I looooove Precursor legacy (the other games, not so much). The option to have corrected widescreen is nice though.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looking back the gameplay REALLY didn't age that well, however, you have to give it to them for the number of animations they put in. As oppose to Ratchet and Clank who's gameplay is still fairly solid by today's standards. I wonder if Naughty will ever get over themselves and make another game or at the very least, a non-cartoonish Mad Max-like take on the world.

CrocoDuck

Oct 28, 2017
All three games are incredible, but I won't dip into them again as there are too many games and to play and getting the platinums on JAk 2 and 3 (more so 2) are hard as fuck.

Tsunamo

Oct 28, 2017
Can someone with a better understanding explain to me why the (European) version of Jak II runs like this:

I'd assume it's a frameblending issue. The game defaults to 50hz (even though it had a 60hz option) and tries to up it to 60hz which creates a weird scenerio where it's not truely 60hz and just 50hz trying to mimock that.
It happened with other PS2 Classics on PS4 and i'd assume that it might be the case here. Hopefully there's a fix, because I hear it's almost unplayable without it (imputs not registering quite a lot of the time and the Daxter spider segment is apparently almost unbeatable because the Spider runs at normal speed while you run slower)

If they get it to just default to the 60hz option the game has if that really is the problem it should be fine because the game can already run at that in the PAL version.

Butz

Nov 21, 2017
Already have the collection on PS3 and think it's fantastic. Interested in getting Jak X, though, even if it's just an uprezzed PS2 port.