• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Schlomo

Oct 25, 2017
It's a shame there's only one good game in this series. It had a lot of potential.

That game isn't Jak 2 by the way.

Anywho, Jak 1 is one of the best 3D platformers of all time and was a clear evolution of Mario 64. Every platformer fan should give it a whirl.

The truth condensed to its purest form.

But I'd recommend the PS3 version over this one because of the blurry ground textures and worse framerate (at launch, not sure if the various patches have improved it).

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nah there's only 1 bad game by the series standards and that's Jak 3. Not the problem of the real fans of the series if people couldn't enjoy the superior playforming and gameplay in Jak II because of thd shift in tone shift the introduction of weapons.

_Rob_

Oct 26, 2017
I like all the Jak games for different reasons, I do have a preference for Jak 1 and the Daxter PSP game though. Looking forward to a Jak 2 EU patch though!

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
All three main games are great. Never played X - excited to finally remedy that.

Jak II Jak has the best hair.

Jak and Daxter Jak has the coolest powerups (Eco > Guns) and world.

Jak 3 Jak has the best, uh... personality, I guess.

Feeroper

Oct 25, 2017
I'm very confused about which versions are best and for what reason. I'm very interested in picking these up but I see a lot of comments about the PS3 version being best and others say the ps2 uprezzed version's are better due to proper widescreen.

Jak 2 has issues with movement everywhere? Or is that only the EU version?

Frame rate - is it confirmed to be 30? Was the original PS2 version higher? I know the PS3 version was higher.

Basically want to know if this is worth getting, haven't played then since ps2 days and I loved them back then. PS4 would be ideal as I can play it in my living room or bedroom, and my PS3 isn't as easily accessible. However are the issues with the PS4 version severe enough that they are unplayable as I've seen some people say?

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Hopefully they'll get a fix for all 3 as soon as possible.
I can live with a few graphical glitches, but the gameplay needs fixing across all of them. X is probably the best, but I've played through a bit of the story, and the framerate just tanks randomly in places. The arena parts are the worst offenders.

Jak 3 is making me feel nauseous though.

Deleted member 33

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I'm excited to play Jak I and II again.

Also, it feels good to have most of Naughty Dog's library available on the PS4. (Crash Bandicoot trilogy, Uncharted series, Jak & Daxter trilogy, The Last of Us)

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Jak II's PAL slowdown has been fixed now.
The framerate is still a bit iffy, but it's playable at least now. It's running better than Jak 3 at least.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017

Yep, it's at 1.02 now.
There are apparently still audio glitches, but I had my sound turned down.

If they can actually get an option to put the camera controls back to normal, because inverted horizontal axis on first person sucks, and stabilize some of the drops, it'll be great.

Edit: Patch note is 1.02- Fixed gameplay speed.

SolVanderlyn

Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Man, talk about games that were products of their time. Jak and Daxter is so deliciously early 2000's and its sequel is so mid 2000's in the WEIRDEST way.

I hopped into Jak II first. What a nostalgic game. The art design of Haven City really stands out to me now more than it did back in the day - I think it might be because I'm appreciating it for what it is rather than constantly asking myself how the tone and atmosphere shifted so far sideways.

Hayeya

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
Anyone know why didnt they port the PS3 games?? Why did they go the harder route?

The ps3 ones already had trophies and better graphics and widescreen, why did they go with porting the ps2 games ?

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone know why didnt they port the PS3 games?? Why did they go the harder route?

The ps3 ones already had trophies and better graphics and widescreen, why did they go with porting the ps2 games ?

They're not ports, they're literally the original PS2 .ISO files that run in the PS4's PS2 emulator.

The PS3 versions have missing graphical effects, therefore the PS2 versions on PS4 are more accurate.

Porting the PS3 games would have been a far more difficult and costly process.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
I encountered a rather annoying glitch in Jak and Daxter on PS4:
DO NOT SAVE AT THE ENTRANCE OF THE CITADEL AFTER ENTERING IT

I did this and the game warped me to the final boss door and as such my attempt at the Platinum was shattered :V

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I did this and the game warped me to the final boss door and as such my attempt at the Platinum was shattered :V
I happened to see a reddit post where this had happened (or maybe gamefaqs) and there is a fix. I don't remember the details but if you pause and save the very second after you get the power cell (before the crash) and then reload then you'll have that power cell.

APOEERA

Oct 26, 2017
Does anyone know if the glitches used in Jak II and Jak 3 to get more orbs still work in PS4 versions?

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017

Yeah, that's been a glitch since the PS2 version.
You have a 2 frame window in which to pause, and then you can save when you get the power cell.

Does anyone know if the glitches used in Jak II and Jak 3 to get more orbs still work in PS4 versions?

They're straight up the PS2 versions of the game, so they'll work.
Every glitch should work, aside from framerate issues possibly throwing off the timing.

Deleted member 5519

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do these games fit the entire screen? I keep seeing YouTube videos where there's little black bars around all four sides on PS4. That would drive me crazy.

For people who own this collection what are your current thoughts on it? Worth the money?

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Do these games fit the entire screen? I keep seeing YouTube videos where there's little black bars around all four sides on PS4. That would drive me crazy.

For people who own this collection what are your current thoughts on it? Worth the money?

They fit the entire screen for me, but Jak 1-3's 16:9 option is achieved by zooming the screen in, rather than actually being widescreen, so you lose a bit of the top and bottom of the picture, and I'd honestly recommend playing in 4:3. Jak X had proper widescreen support though.

Have you ever played the games before? The performance on them isn't great at the moment, but they seem to be addressing issues quickly. They're entirely playable, but certainly not the ideal versions.

If you haven't played it, I'd wait for a sale in all honesty, or at least until the main issues are fixed (which is mainly framerate drops).

SolVanderlyn

Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Forgot how much I love the Mountain Temple in Jak II.

75bucmg.jpg

When it isn't trying to be edge city, Jak II even outdoes its predecessor in awesome, mystical areas.

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I heard that there was a PS4 screen sizing option where you could make games with borders fill the screen. I'm not sure if its as simple as screen resizing (which would affect every game), it wasn't clear from what people said, but the option would be in the same display settings. Does anyone know? Can anyone check?

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017
So are these games 60fps or not? Questions last page weren't answered, I don't want to buy more busted ps2 classics

MadMod

Dec 4, 2017
Got a plat on all 3 of the mainline games on the ps3. Ill pick up Jak X for sure. Great set of games.

ryodi

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
As someone who only had an N64 before I got a PS2 I found Jak 1 to a boring Rare collectathon clone but loved Jak II and Jak 3. I'm going to wait for the series to drop in price before I buy it and I'm looking forward to playing Jak X, my PAL PS2 copy never worked properly so I didn't play it much when it came out.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
I recently platinumed Jak & Daxter.

I've only play Jak 2 up to just 11% completion and I already given up... /: (

I'm sick of every time trials, score records, bumping to every vehicles/walls/police guys on the streets, etc.

It's amazing that the 2nd game could be worse than the 1st, and I actually kinda lukewarm about the 1st game...

Kresnik

Oct 26, 2017
Forgot how much I love the Mountain Temple in Jak II.

75bucmg.jpg

When it isn't trying to be edge city, Jak II even outdoes its predecessor in awesome, mystical areas.

When I replayed on Vita a while ago, this was what stood out to me as well - easily the best area in the game and better than anything in Jak 1 IMO. I didn't mind the second game's tone but the gritty parts made the more natural feeling areas seem even better.

There was a lot more platforming than I remembered in Jak II as well, which was a very good thing.

DarkJak101

Oct 27, 2017
So I caved and bought Jak X. Really an awesome game. A few frame drops here and there on Pro when things get super busy on screen (not sure if Pro makes a difference with regards to Boost Mode), but all good so far

berryman69

Banned
Dec 3, 2017
Huh?

The emulator works as intended, boosting the original game's res 4x. Only thing lacking is Pro support which can absolutely take these games to higher resolutions.

What? Games I played looked awful. Every single PS2 game I have tried has jaggies out the wazoo lol. The image quality is definitely purely trash tier and though I own multiple PS2 games I don't even touch them. Unless the ones I booted up just didn't get any love or something.

You make 4x res sound like it's a big deal when in reality it does almost nothing for some of these games for image quality. Yeah, it makes them better than playing a straight port on PS4 but that isn't what I care about in the first place. I've played all these games. Between PCSX2 and this I will choose that any day of the week.

I was wondering in particular if any actual AA has been added, but I see that it has not I guess so the Pro did not get any better at this point. What a waste.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
Yeah, sony support for the own "paid" classic games and their own pro console is a freaking joke compare to microsoft and their bc program.

Jangowuzhere

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Wow, I'm amazed by how bad the PS4 port is of Jak 2./

-Performance is just terrible. It's not unplayable or anything like that, but the drops and constant chugging is very distracting.
-The audio constantly crackles and pops during cutscenes and is a huge distraction.
-Seeing various graphical glitches within the first hour.

What are the chances of a refund from Sony? I didn't wanna bother hooking up another playstation, but I should have just bought the HD collection for PS3. I'm not going to have any fun playing through this PS4 port.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017

-Performance is just terrible. It's not unplayable or anything like that, but the drops and constant chugging is very distracting.
-The audio constantly crackles and pops during cutscenes and is a huge distraction.

What are the chances of a refund from Sony? I didn't wanna bother hooking up another playstation, but I should have just bought the HD collection for PS3. I'm not going to have any fun playing through this PS4 port.

Huh really? I thought the game plays exactly like the PS2 version. The first game was fine on PS4.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Huh really? I thought the game plays exactly like the PS2 version. The first game was fine on PS4.

Nope, and nope lol. Precursor Legacy ran a lot worse than it did on PS2 (although to be fair, the only major frame rate drops happened during the last boss). The other games are terrible though. X and 2 are probably the best out of them (X just suffers from a misaligned boost graphic and some dropa at the start of races, and the main problems of 2 have been fixed), but 3 is awful. It's just stuttering constantly, and moving the camera gives me a headache. I know that's 100% to do with the port, as I've played the PS2 version for at least 100 hours and have never had that happen.

So, uh, if I buy this I should get the US version, right?

PAL for 1-3, NTSC for Jak X. They're all reaching their intended frame rate, but the problem is that none of them are coming close to being locked at it.

They're apparently still working on a patch for them, but that could be months off.

If you do get it, remember that the widescreen for the first three is the zoom the picture in method, so you'll be better off going with the 4:3 option. Jak X supports true widescreen however.

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017

It's not a port.

Deleted member 31423

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Ive been playing jak 3. The one ive never finished. The game has some momentary hitches here and there but its perfectly playable. People say its easier then jak 2 but it still has its ridiculous spikes just like the previous game.

Nov 8, 2017
I'm playing The Precursor Legacy right now and made it all the way to the volcano level before figuring out that the left stick could control the camera after pressing the triangle button without left and right being reversed! I tried to keep the swamp rats away from the guy's cupcakes but the reversed control with the right stick drove me insane. Using the left stick I cleared it on the first try. I'm loving it so far.