• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
deadline.com

Jake Gyllenhaal On Antoine Fuqua Netflix Film ‘The Guilty’: 69 Million Households, No. 1 In 91 Countries

Jake Gyllenhaal On Antoine Fuqua Netflix Film 'The Guilty': 69 Million Households, #1 In 91 Countries

The_Guilty_00_06_53_12_R-e1632783550810.jpg

Netflix selectively reveals viewing information when the results are good. More and more stars are pressing the issue, like Kevin Hart did on Fatherhood and Ryan Murphy on Ratched. Such is the case this morning with Jake Gyllenhaal, divulging the stats on The Guilty, the movie he made in lockdown with his Southpaw director Antoine Fuqua.

According to Gyllenhaal, the film — shot over 11 days, with Fuqua working from a trailer after someone in his circle tested positive for Covid — will be seen in 69 million households in its first four weeks, and has been the streamer's top movie in 91 countries. Gyllenhaal plays a 911 dispatcher with a sketchy past who tries to help a woman kidnapped by her husband, leaving her children in danger.

Is anyone else starting to really have a hard time with these numbers that Netflix puts out?

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
Netflix counts starting a movie or an episode and watching couple of minutes (3? 4? dont remember) as "watched".

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
This is in no way a criticism of the OP or the thread, but this just makes it all the more baffling that the trans employee was fired for "leaking" the Chapelle numbers.

Forsaken82

Oct 27, 2017
deadline.com

Jake Gyllenhaal On Antoine Fuqua Netflix Film ‘The Guilty’: 69 Million Households, No. 1 In 91 Countries

Jake Gyllenhaal On Antoine Fuqua Netflix Film 'The Guilty': 69 Million Households, #1 In 91 Countries

Is anyone else starting to really have a hard time with these numbers that Netflix puts out?

Why are you having a hard time with these numbers? It's the same numbers that streamers on Twitch utilize to build their brand. You think Ninja actually has 17 million active followers? Of course he doesn't but based on the follower count, he does. It's how streaming services view success, and it's how they build their revenue through sponsorships. The larger the audience, the larger the success, regardless if the actual audience even invests actual time.

With streaming, it's Brand awareness that matters, not consumption.

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
Was it as good as original Danish film?

Good numbers, otherwise I don't think we would've ever heard them.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
I've only seen the original. Is this a beat-for-beat remake or does it try to put its own spin on it?

The original was fantastic by the way.
It`s very similiar, no own spin on it except it feels "americanized", if you know what I mean.

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Why are you having a hard time with these numbers? It's the same numbers that streamers on Twitch utilize to build their brand. You think Ninja actually has 17 million active followers? Of course he doesn't but based on the follower count, he does. It's how streaming services view success, and it's how they build their revenue through sponsorships. The larger the audience, the larger the success, regardless if the actual audience even invests actual time.

With streaming, it's Brand awareness that matters, not consumption.
If brand awareness is the metric then tout that instead of a press release that tries to tout viewer numbers instead.

Yeeeeeeeeeer

Oct 25, 2017
west coast
netflix fudges their numbers all the time. im sure they include free trial users as part of their subscription total which is all that matters to investors

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Gyllenhaal acted his ass off in this movie, especially the last 10 mins or so. It's worth a watch for sure.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
I thought the movie was trash tbh. Gotta watch the original but thought there was some serious overacting and awkward framing.

antispin

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't seen the original but this one was fine -- some weird acting and framing but Jake did a pretty good job with the setup.

Oct 26, 2017
I thought Gyllenhaal did a good job but didn't care for the content of the movie at all. The message just fell flat on its face for me and i got no time to be sympathizing with characters like that (the cop)

BumbaT BrowN

Oct 27, 2017
I thought Gyllenhaal did a good job but didn't care for the content of the movie at all. The message just fell flat on its face for me and i got no time to be sympathizing with characters like that (the cop)

That was the idea of the film, to question the protagonists decisions and the irony of it all there's no sympathy being sought. The protagonist is not trying to get you on his side of the story

KAMI-SAMA

Banned
Aug 25, 2020
I watched it and thought it wasn't bad. Thought it was commentary on what's happening with the police in modern day. Only found out it was a remake after I watched it.

Goda

Oct 26, 2017
Toronto
I love Jake. He's my favourite actor but this movie was just ok. I'm not the biggest fan of movies that take place in one location though. So maybe it's just me.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
deadline.com

Honestly not really. A lot of people just want white noise on in the background, it doesn't mean 69 million households were actively watching it.

And yes of course their metrics for "watched" are definitely pretty generous. I'd say over 50% of the runtime is reasonable but they go for like 5 minutes or something?

May 14, 2021
I thought it was ok. Didn't realize it was shot in 11 days. That's amazing. Netflix making It hard for me to drop them even for a couple months.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Gyllenhaal carried this movie hard, made it a decent watch with a nice little twist.
Glad they didn't try to make the mc sympathetic.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
I'll be honest, I didn't think this was all that good.

I watched till the end, but I ended up thinking it was kind of stupid.

Oct 26, 2017
That was the idea of the film, to question the protagonists decisions and the irony of it all there's no sympathy being sought. The protagonist is not trying to get you on his side of the story
🙄
Characters usually aren't actively trying to garner sympathy from the audience, that's not typically how these things work. Directors, writers, and actors on the other hand... that is definitely what they were doing. Why do you think that was the final reveal? On accident?

Anyway, miss me with the fairy tale of a "complicated" killer cop who grows a conscience . Way too soon.

Oct 29, 2017
This was okay. That lady coming in at the end to say sometimes broken people fix broken people or something along those lines was so fucking cringey. Than I saw that pizzolotto wrote it and it made sense