• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

KonradLaw

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Both Affleck and Jake are good for me. I just hope that if the recast happens it will just happen. Without giving any bizzare in-universe explanation. Just replace the actor and pretend he was always there.

sappyday

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Warner Bros ain't trying to ruin jake's career y'all

Mad respect

Also: Jon Hamm won't work anymore people. We had our chance with an older batman

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
Make me the Batman. I'm completely unfit for the role and would be terrible.

You know you're interested already just from that little taste, WB.

Goda

Oct 26, 2017
Toronto
Yeah, I love Jake as an actor but I can't see this. He would be better suited as Nightwing rather than Batman.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Both Affleck and Jake are good for me. I just hope that if the recast happens it will just happen. Without giving any bizzare in-universe explanation. Just replace the actor and pretend he was always there.
I think this is the worst way they can do it. We need not just a new actor, but a clean break and fresh start. It's not like Ben Affleck was the real problem with any of the movies he's been in, but that take on the character isn't working.

Having a Batman in the latter stage of his career, worn down by his life fighting crime, makes a lot less sense when they are casting a younger actor.

I don't know what the most sensible way to do it (Have Jake be Dick Grayson, some sort of time travel/crisis stuff, make it a prequel etc), but it would be dumb as hell to just recast and pretend it's the same dude. Marvel have got away with it for Howard Stark and War Machine, but they couldn't have got away with it for Iron Man.

KonradLaw

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think this is the worst way they can do it. We need not just a new actor, but a clean break and fresh start. It's not like Ben Affleck was the real problem with any of the movies he's been in, but that take on the character isn't working.

Having a Batman in the latter stage of his career, worn down by his life fighting crime, makes a lot less sense when they are casting a younger actor.

I don't know what the most sensible way to do it (Have Jake be Dick Grayson, some sort of time travel/crisis stuff, make it a prequel etc), but it would be dumb as hell to just recast and pretend it's the same dude. Marvel have got away with it for Howard Stark and War Machine, but they couldn't have got away with it for Iron Man.
They got away with it for Hulk. And Iron Man was first done properly by RDJR. People think Iron Man = RDJR. That's not true for Dark Knight. Batman has been played by legion of famous actors. His recasting doesn't need any more explanation than casting new Bond does.

BrassDragon

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
'Warner Bros. isn't so sure' is the tagline of the whole DCEU.

Casting proven and capable actors is the least of their problems - vision, writing and respect for the source material make all the difference.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
They got away with it for Hulk. And Iron Man was first done properly by RDJR. People think Iron Man = RDJR. That's not true for Dark Knight. Batman has been played by legion of famous actors. His recasting doesn't need any more explanation than casting new Bond does.
"Hulk" as in the big green cgi man? I think he is still played by a big green cgi man.

The stakes are different when you've had a certain incarnation of Batman interacting with an entire Justice League. It'd be very strange to see a new actor take over, but Cavill/Gadot et al don't notice.

It's not 1995 any more.

And again, we don't just want Jake or another new actor to do an impression of Affleck's Batman, we want him to go in a new direction. Even with recasting Banner, they didn't particularly have to alter the character, and Ruffalo pretty much just carries on where Norton left off.

A shared cinematic universe's entire purpose is to use a continuity which goes beyond a single movie to tell a bigger story. When that continuity can be thrown aside without a second thought, that undermines the credibility of the universe.

I do like the idea of bringing in different actors who have played Batman for some kind of multiverse shenanigans. Bale (and/or Gordon-Levitt), Keaton, Kilmer, Clooney, Arnett, Mazouz, Conroy, CGI Adam West etc. I think it would be very hard to pull off something like that in a mainstream focused movie though. Maybe all of them, or maybe just one of the senior versions to mentor a new Terry McGinnis.

Archer

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Hey Jake, where is Brokeback Mountain Part 2?

tumblr_luz6cmwveq1qae7o8o1_500.gif

Deleted member 3345

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't say how I know this, but apparently jake was never interested in this role in the first place.

It's going to mcconaughey.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
He'd be fine. I don't think anyone really "looks the part". All they have to do is be able to act. One of the best actors for the role was an average build dude with a receding hairline. Later a blonde guy. Then a buff Welshman followed by Ben Affleck. I don't think the physical bar is all that high, even if it escalated to a weird degree under Snyder. Hell even Cillian Murphy was considered and physically he doesn't strike me as intimidating in any way and has a weird US accent.

Just be a good actor. And Jake is a very good actor.

KonradLaw

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
A shared cinematic universe's entire purpose is to use a continuity which goes beyond a single movie to tell a bigger story. When that continuity can be thrown aside without a second thought, that undermines the credibility of the universe.
THey don't have a choice. Sooner or later every shared universe will have to change their actors and audiences won't accept anyone but Bruce Wayne as Batman or Tony Stark as Iron Man and if you attempt to wipe the slate clean and do reboot the raction to that will be far harsher than to just changing the actor.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
THey don't have a choice. Sooner or later every shared universe will have to change their actors and audiences won't accept anyone but Bruce Wayne as Batman or Tony Stark as Iron Man and if you attempt to wipe the slate clean and do reboot the raction to that will be far harsher than to just changing the actor.
I agree it's inevitable, but you can avoid the worst possible outcomes by taking your time, thinking things through, and making some kind of plan.

I'm sure eventually RDJ will retire/take a back seat from the MCU, but I don't think Marvel would dare to just replace him with a lookalike. They'll have someone else take on the mantel of Iron Man, likely with some build up to it. Much like how they're probably going to have Bucky take over as Captain America at some point. Actors age, and eventually want to move on from stuff, and contract negotiations are probably always a bit of a challenge.

The stakes are very different between the MCU with the momentum it has, gradually building to replacing an actor/character, and DC not really having a plan for how to replace a Batman that hasn't even had a solo movie yet.

less

Oct 25, 2017
Batman Begins still had the Batman and Robin stink surrounding it, so that isn't it.
And Nolan only really had Memento before that so he wasn't a huge deal yet either.

Although I'm not sure of the exact situation around that time I would imagine that Batman Begins was separated enough from Batman and Robin, in years, to at least feel a bit like a fresh take. Jake could be willing to take a risk at the time. Now? With so many DC films close together that received less than positive reception Jake probably is not keen at all about this role or rather how DC will handle it.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
DC haven't proven to handle their films well at all. It'd be a different story if they were making quality products, but all we've seen thus far has been Wonder Woman that's been good. I dunno, I'd personally rather he not waste his time and utilize his talents elsewhere.

I'm loving all the gifs in this thread and glad there's so much appreciation for Jake.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
He already plays a batman villain in Okja, I'm not quite sure which one it is but it's one of them.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I don't know. I think he'd be a better Dick Grayson/Nightwing. I guess if he's Dick Grayson taking on the Batman mantel after Bruce steps down...I just can't see him as Bruce Wayne Bats.