• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

THE GUY

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's pretty disgusting. Article states he was 33 when he started dating that 16 year old. If she had been 20+ or something, I'd think it would be a non-factor, but 16 is definitely way too young. And then his prior relationship was another 16 year old while he was 28. So that's not a good pattern developing there because he seems to targeting girls that age.

16 years old is a kid. A 16 year old with a full grown adult who's in his late 20s or early 30s is straight fucked up territory. There is a gulf of difference in that dynamic. Age of consent doesn't mean anything in my eyes here from a moral perspective.

Big-E

Oct 25, 2017
Debate on legality aside, he was a creep given that he actively sought out these relationships when he could have been with people closer to his age, and by closer I mean within 22 years of his age.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Aww what the fuck, I never heard about this before. Fucking hell, I liked the guy and was sad when he died, but fuck, should have been more aware of this. What kind of excuse did he have in mind, he could have literally chosen to be with any one of amazing women both in and out of the industry but he chose a 16 year old?! Fuck that.

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Inflammatory Content in a sensitive topic
Some of you are so quick to instantly hate someone else because of random article, while article being basically:

PAUL WALKER IS PEDOPHILE*

*well not literally, but he had relations with underage girl**

**there is no proof

Thurston Last

Banned
Jul 26, 2018
It's about timing, this is a story about a famous actor using his position to get into a relationship with a 16 year old girl. It's abuse and your first thought shouldn't be: "I gotta educate people on this now!"

Fair enough, but don't you think it is a bit dishonest to label someone something when it is not accurate? Saying he is not a pedophile is not defending what he did.

This happens all the time in controversial topics on here, and anyone attempting to add a little clarity gets accused of having bad intentions.

Like should we just go around calling people who groped someone a rapist? Or people who punched someone a murderer? Someone comes in and says "now wait a minute he didn't actually kill the guy, just punched him" "OMG are you saying it is ok to punch people then??!"

Oct 26, 2017
Doesn't really change how messed up this is.

Exactly.

Just because someone explains what the definition of a pedophile actually is and suggests maybe Paul Walker doesn't fall under that category until we know more information, that doesn't make what Paul Walker did any less messed up. Some people think it's giving Paul Walker a pass by not lazily calling him a pedophile. It's not, but words matter. Because using the wrong words means you may tackle the problem incorrectly.

Going off this article it sounds to me that Paul Walker may be guilty of preying upon or exhibiting predatory behavior toward underaged girls. That's heinous enough in my book. There are a lot of men who are predators toward underaged women and they often get away with it because they can show proof they're not actually pedophiles and depending on what state they're in, they actually could have been abiding by age of consent laws. So if this behavior disturbs you, use the right words and the right terminology so you can properly fight the problem and push for laws that can truly address 15-17 year-old girls being preyed upon by older men with fame or power.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Most people (and many states/countries) will give you a pass for dating someone that is 16.......particularly if you have a long-term relationship or it ends in marriage.

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It'd been known for a while before his death. Maybe 16 isn't quite young enough to have warranted a big scandal at the time, I guess? He would've had to answer for it nowadays though.

Oct 25, 2017
Would you prefer serial statutory rapist, instead ?
Based on the article linked, that would also be incorrect.

For a forum that gets so hung up on semantics when criticism applies to them, I'm surprised by some of the posts.

This totally came up when he died. People didn't care then. And I doubt too many people care now outside of making knee jerk wtf posts.

I'd be interested in hearing some of the women speak on what the relationship was like.

It'd been known for a while before his death. Maybe 16 isn't quite young enough to have warranted a big scandal at the time, I guess? He would've had to answer for it nowadays though.
Best summary.

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't even know this was a thing until now, holy shit

Goddamnit it really is only Tom Hanks who's clean out here

Mechanized

Oct 27, 2017
So if 16 is legal age in most places whats the problem here? Its sleazy and immature, and in this specific state a crime, that seems to be about it to me. Why would this be touched on in a fluff piece biography?

THE GUY

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Some of you are so quick to instantly hate someone else because of random article, while article being basically:

PAUL WALKER IS PEDOPHILE*

*well not literally, but he had relations with underage girl**

**there is no proof
The whole "there's no proof" thing is irrelevant.

He was apparently in a relationship with 2 girls at the age of 16. One when he was 28, and the other when he was 33. That's gross regardless. Even if the relationship for the first 3 years involved no physical intimacy, it'd still be disgusting because you're basically grooming someone.

He was a grown ass man involved with kids. And make no mistake, 16 years old is a kid regardless of the dumb ass logic of consent laws in Europe and elsewhere that people try to bring up. This dude wasn't 18 or something. He was a man with a decade of adult life behind him.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Part of the reason I'm sure it didn't generate a bigger outcry is because 16 is really the number at which the line starts to blur from a strictly legal standpoint, and then you can get into the whole Europe/Canada/most of the US discussion.

If she had been 14, it's an open and shut case. Honestly should have been open and shut in CA if their age is 18.

PtM

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
I conspire to inspire and light a fire.

But legit, who the hell would date a 16yr old male or female that is older than 18? I didn't even like them when I was that age.
I would think it's legal exactly for these cases, where adolescents have different levels of maturity in that age range. It's also why people of up to 21 years, around here at least, might still get judged in court like teenagers.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When Are We Going to Address How Paul Walker Had Relationships With Underage Girls?

What is there to address?

He is known to have had relationships with girls who were underage, 16 years old to be specific. He should've been charged for it since it was against the law in those states, but short of the 'victims' pressing charges combined with his status as a celebrity in a pre-#metoo world I seriously doubt anything would've come of it back then.

But what is there to address now? This is not secret knowledge, it's been brought up here before, what do you want us to do with this info? Picket his grave? Add a footnote to his wiki that already lists the girl who was underage when he started dating her and was still his girlfriend when he died?

I read the whole article and it still doesn't give a clear indication of what the author wants to be done, other than for people to talk about it and know about it, which we already do.

Here i'll address it: It was wrong. He shouldn't have done it. He would've probably rightly been taken to task for it were he still alive today.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
I'd never heard about this - I just thought it was really shitty to drive recklessly (as he died, but he might have taken more innocents with him), but it seems he had a habit of not giving a shit about others, then.

I think what you can do about it is noting it in the movie, rather than acting like it didn't happen. I didn't know about it.

It'd be like making a movie about how great Cosby was after his death without acknowledging the horrible stuff he did. That's wrong.

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I didn't know this. WTF.

The other actors keep telling us what a great guy he was.

Legal consent or not I would still say its pretty damn weird for the guy to be hitting on school girls.

16 here in the uk but as a 36 year old I would say there would be no reasoning for myself to be getting with a 16 year old

Thurston Last

Banned
Jul 26, 2018
Based on the article linked, that would also be incorrect.

For a forum that gets so hung up on semantics when criticism applies to them, I'm surprised by some of the posts.

This totally came up when he died. People didn't care then. And I doubt too many people care now outside of making knee jerk wtf posts.

I'd be interested in hearing some of the women speak on what the relationship was like.

Are you kidding me, at 16 you can't even tie your own shoes, let alone think for yourself.*

*unless you commit murder, in that case you know full well what you are doing and will be charged as an adult.

Soneji

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Not everyone jumps to write hit pieces when someone dies, yet when speaking of his legacy this is definitely a stain.

Just so we're clear: The distinction between pedophilia and ephebophilia is not one which we are interested in exploring here. We're not going to host that discussion.
Why even change the thread title if you're not going to care about the distinction between a legal age of consent in a large portion of the world and sexually abusing children?

Edit : Didn't see BronsonLee's post at the time of this post. Fair enough.

Last edited:

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Isn't sixteen of legal age in most states?
Yeah, despite people's expectations, most states have it as 16
h1imcmk7unxz.png

Last edited:

BlackFyre

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am shocked!!! I read about all the charitable stuff he did, including buy that couple their engagement ring in secret.

Wow!

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Already gross by itself. Even more gross since he would have had a teenage daughter around the same age if he was still doing it around the time of death.

DeeDogg

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Florida
I don't know if I'll get banned for saying this...and I'm in no way excusing his actions. But...the guy died half a decade ago. This seems very spontaneous to bring up now. I feel like I'm treading on some thin ice saying this

Oct 25, 2017
I'd never heard about this - I just thought it was really shitty to drive recklessly (as he died, but he might have taken more innocents with him), but it seems he had a habit of not giving a shit about others, then.

I think what you can do about it is noting it in the movie, rather than acting like it didn't happen. I didn't know about it.

It'd be like making a movie about how great Cosby was after his death without acknowledging the horrible stuff he did. That's wrong.
He wasn't the driver in the accident.

People commenting on this thread, READ before posting.

Deleted member 37107

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 31, 2017
Chicago
But he's dead. Watch 'An Open Secret' if you want some real outrage. Hell, Brian Peck was a convicted pedo and still got work on Nickelodeon.

D i Z

Oct 25, 2017
Where X marks the spot.
Yeah this has been public knowledge for decades (I have no concept of time. I'm eternal) and talked about. Apparently, he went to her folks and asked if he could see her because of the age difference. They apparently were cool with him dating her, and eventually it progressed to marriage. Some dudes don't develop as they age and still see high school sweetheart and positioning as the peek of existence. As far as I know they were good together, as batshit as this one shook out.

Status
Not open for further replies.