• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
16 is weird, and definitely sleazy if you're in a position of power and influence, but legal in most places and doesn't really bother me any more than the "dating significantly younger women" that's the norm for the rich and famous.

Thurston Last

Banned
Jul 26, 2018
A famous actor had a relationship with an underage girl and your first thought is: "I gotta educate people that it isn't pedophilia if the victim is older than 13."?

Fuck you.

16 is legal in many states including all of Canada, so are we just going to ignore this fact. Or do you think straight up pedophilia is legal in Canada?

edit: and most of Europe.

Oct 25, 2017
What he did was fucked up and illegal, but not really pedophilia unless I missed some additional information about him.

Pedophilia, or paedophilia, is a psychiatric disorder in which an adult or older adolescent experiences a primary or exclusive sexual attraction to prepubescent children.[1][2]Although girls typically begin the process of puberty at age 10 or 11, and boys at age 11 or 12,[3] criteria for pedophilia extend the cut-off point for prepubescence to age 13.

Don't split hairs.

Indelible

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I think I heard about this years ago but didn't know it was confirmed, he was a dirty bastard that would've been exposed if he was still alive.

zoukka

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Already hit the "not really a pedo!" phase of the thread, huh.

The definition of pedo is the sexual attaction to a child no? Having sex with an underaged person is immoral, illegal, fucked up and can be traumatizing for the victim but not necessarily pedophilia. I am not defending anyone here and the suggestion that I do is honestly insulting.

the_wart

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Downplaying sexualization of people under the legal age. The distinction between pedophilia and ephebophilia is not one which we are interested in exploring here.
Already hit the "not really a pedo!" phase of the thread, huh.

Because it's true? There is a big difference between being sexually attracted to children and being sexually attracted to people who are sexually mature (in a physical, rather than emotional sense) but legally underage.

That doesn't mean the latter is okay, but there's little to gain from conflating the two things.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
This was 100% mentioned when he died; but people were in exagerated celebrity grief mode and didn't want to talk about it.

MassiveNights

Oct 25, 2017
16 is the age of consent here in the UK, so I reckon calling him a paedophile is a bit harsh. Still creepy though.

Oynox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User banned (1 month): Downplaying the sexualization of minors and previous warning for doing the same. The distinction between pedophilia and ephebophilia is not one which we are interested in exploring here.
What he did was fucked up and illegal, but not really pedophilia unless I missed some additional information about him.

Pedophilia, or paedophilia, is a psychiatric disorder in which an adult or older adolescent experiences a primary or exclusive sexual attraction to prepubescent children.[1][2]Although girls typically begin the process of puberty at age 10 or 11, and boys at age 11 or 12,[3] criteria for pedophilia extend the cut-off point for prepubescence to age 13.
That's why the actual journalist of Jalopnik didn't use the term.

However, it is often used incorrectly in colloquial language and since ERA is only a video game board and no psychical health board... people talk colloquially about things off topic.

Also, thanks for the updated thread title.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hear about it a few years ago.

image.gif

Last edited:

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For everyone hand wringing over the definition of pedophilia, the entirety of Canada has an age of consent of 16. I think zoukka has a point that attraction to sexually mature 16 year olds does not fit the description of a pedo.

It can still be viewed as gross, and actually illegal in many US states, of course, and that's fair.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
The definition of pedo is the sexual attaction to a child no? Having sex with an underaged person is immoral, illegal, fucked up and can be traumatizing for the victim but not necessarily pedophilia. I am not defending anyone here and the suggestion that I do is honestly insulting.
Are you really doubling down

zoukka

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Because it's true? There is a big difference between being sexually attracted to children and being sexually attracted to people who are sexually mature (in a physical, rather than emotional sense) but legally underage.

That doesn't mean the latter is okay, but there's little to gain from conflating the two things.

Exactly. His behaviour is still wrong and fucked up as I said multiple times.

Oct 28, 2017
Gross, illegal (in many states), exploitative, not paedo. Debate about definition irrelevant as topic title has been updated.

Terra Firma

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Ephebophilia is considered pedophilia by the general public and in a legal context. There are different legal penalties in some states based on the age (for example, intercourse with a child 12 and under is classed worse than a child 16 and under) but they're all considered child rape.

Skelepuzzle

Apr 17, 2018

I'll save you both some time. Most of the people that point this out say

"Uh actshually he's an ephebephile!"

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Exactly. His behaviour is still wrong and fucked up as I said multiple times.
Would you prefer serial statutory rapist, instead ?

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
I want to say that this was being mentioned on GAF right after he died. For some reason, this sounds familiar to me.

Raguel

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah. This is well known about Walker. I was disgusted but then he died and everybody was worshiping him. He's gone now but his affinity for under age girls was and still is gross.

TheRealDennis

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Germany
16 is legal in many states including all of Canada, so are we just going to ignore this fact. Or do you think straight up pedophilia is legal in Canada?

edit: and most of Europe.
It's about timing, this is a story about a famous actor using his position to get into a relationship with a 16 year old girl. It's abuse and your first thought shouldn't be: "I gotta educate people on this now!"

Rowlf

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 24, 2017

Just so we're clear: The distinction between pedophilia and ephebophilia is not one which we are interested in exploring here. We're not going to host that discussion.

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I saw this last Friday.

I liked the fast and furious movies but no celebrity is someone I look up to, so it didn't affect me.

Can't imagine being 33 and dating a 16 year old. What the hell goes through your mind. Christ.

TuggSpeedman

Banned
Jul 23, 2018
Why would they complain? Normalising pedophilia is the next battleground for these people (Hollywood).

Lets not forget that a room full of the most influential actors and actresses on Earth stood up and applauded for Roman fucking Polanski.

OP
OP
brawndolicious
Oct 27, 2017
Added an edit to the OP. If mods wanna change the title to stop hair splitting over pedophilia I'm totally fine with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.