Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017

About 9m40s into his interview with Arnold.

"Well, COVID hit us like it hit everybody... We lost about four and a half months of production. As a result of that, we've rolled around one more full year for a release in December of 2022. That's been announced already. Now that doesn't mean I have an extra year to finish the film, because the day we deliver Avatar 2 we'll just start working on finishing Avatar 3. So where we are right now, I'm down in New Zealand shooting. We're shooting the remainder of the live action. We've got about ten percent left to go. We're a hundred percent complete on Avatar 2 and we're sort of ninety five percent complete on Avatar 3. So we're very lucky in that we chose this as our production site years ago."

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
giphy.gif

Freddy=Legend

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 29, 2017
i'm torn between "when this releases no one will care about this" and "when this releases it'll be the biggest thing ever"

It's going to be what Nolan wanted 'Tenet' to be & bring people back to theaters. Even if big movies release before it; it's going to be the first event film that needs to be seen on the biggest screen's possible.

Bucca

Oct 25, 2017
Wonder how long all that vfx and cg work is gonna take, can't imagine it

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
awesome movie news

and i guess the stuff about saving the planet is aight too

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Good to see that they're making progress.
i'm torn between "when this releases no one will care about this" and "when this releases it'll be the biggest thing ever"
Nolan gonna cry tears of both joy and anger when Avatar Deux is the actual movie that revives movie theaters.

basefree

Jan 24, 2018
It'll be interesting to see how little people care about 3D and if that's even gonna still be a thing for these movies, despite the original movie launching that tech in the first place.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
great. finish it up your giant shit and then get back to the real work of getting some new lenses for your glasses and start the process of approving 4K remasters of your good movies that people actually want to see.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
First one was Dances with Wolves in space.
Wonder which material sequel will gobble up as "inspiration".

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
Cameron had to put on his glasses cause he recognized Arnold's voice and had to make sure.

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
This would be good news if it wasn't Avatar, they probably shot 2 minutes of footage and the rest is CGI.

Zoso

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still excited for this. The theme park land they built at Disney's Animal Kingdom theme park is spectacular. And I enjoyed the original movie. Honestly the hate Avatar receives will never make sense to me.

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Say what you want about Cameron, even about the simplistic plot of Avatar and that horrible gimmick it helped to create (3D).

But Cameron is a genius and one (if not THE) best directors currently working today, so i'm waiting for these movies with a lot of excitement.

OP
OP
Scullibundo

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
So would it have made its December 2020 release if it didn't get pushed?
If it didn't get pushed AND Covid didn't happen, yeah.

Gotta remember it was originally pushed before this to service a new alternating Xmas release schedule with the Star Wars movies. Then D&D's trilogy suddenly went tits-up.

Originally the sequels' release schedule saw Avatar 2&3 releasing back to back, followed 3 years later by back to back releases of 4&5.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Same posts in every Avatar thread.

Anyway, great to see Arnold and Jim talking about environmental causes and "Vote these asshole out of office!"

Can't wait for 2022! Cameron as always will deliver and it'll be what gets butts back in the theater!

Bonefish

Oct 28, 2017
Its exciting that it's finally being finished, but the idea that seeing them means id be giving Disney money now means Id be more likely to just not bother at this point.

Skunk

Oct 28, 2017

On one hand it's been a long time for the IP to sit dormant.

On the other hand never doubt James Cameron... the dude crushes records almost every single film he makes. Adjusted for inflation, he has as many all time top 10 grossing films as Star Wars and one more than the MCU, in fact both his films grossed more than either, and he's one man. Also, probably his "worst" film is the highest grossing. The man shits blockbuster excellence in a way nobody else can dream of, and none of it save Aliens was even an existing IP; which also highlights that he's been a writer/director on every one of his hit films.

That's... a hell of a resume. Like when this dude passes the film industry will probably be *worth less*. GodDAMN.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I mean, Avatar was a well made, fun if unmemorable movie. i'll welcome a sequel even if it just maintains that status.