• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA

"It gives me a lot of hope," Cameron told Deadline. "Avengers: Endgame is demonstrable proof that people will still go to movie theaters. The thing that scared me most about making Avatar 2 and Avatar 3 was that the market might have shifted so much that it simply was no longer possible to get people that excited about going and sitting in a dark room with a bunch of strangers to watch something."

"Will Avatar 2 and 3 be able to create that kind of success in the zeitgeist? Who knows. We're trying. Maybe we do, maybe we don't, but the point is, it's still possible," Cameron said. "I'm happy to see it, as opposed to an alternate scenario where, with the rapid availability, custom-designed experience that everybody can create for themselves with streaming services and all the different platforms, that [theatrical potential] might not have existed anymore."

tumblr_inline_oqs1lmuk021raol16_500.gif

Deleted member 6949

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It took the MCU 20 tries with a proven brand to beat Cameron's tossed off blue ferngully bullshit. Avatar 20 will be the first movie to crack 100 billion.

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I don't think the Avatar sequels will have near the success as the original. 3d isn't a draw anymore and everything is cool CGI now.

And him being worried that people don't go to the movies anymore is laughable considering how many cross 1 billion now.

This thread is Sculli bait tho

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
That was a great answer. It is kind of amazing that with all the ways to watch movies the theater experience still thrives.

Plotinus

Oct 30, 2017
Hey did you all notice that AVATAR is just POCAHONTAS in SPACE? Heh. Pretty dumb right? God I'm so smart please love me

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
Infinity War and Force Awakens were proof that people will still go to theaters and sit in a dark room with a bunch of strangers.

Endgame was just proof that the MCU created something we've never seen before and the finale of the saga was something we won't see for a long time. If I could go back in time 5 times one of them might legit to see IW or Endgame again for the first time, they were both just amazing experiences I won't forget for a long long time.

MadraptorMan

Oct 27, 2017
Niigata, Japan
I really don't understand why he gave congratulations to Marvel for beating Titanic before it beat Avatar. Who gives a public congrats (complete with the traditional picture) for beating the second highest grossing film ever?

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
remember when avatar was the highest grossing film of all time

what a weird fucking time that was

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Big Jimbo will claim the record again.

Except he won't. As much as the fanboys want you to believe.

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still confused why anyone went to see the first Avatar.

I can see why you would be surprised people liked it, but why people went to see it?

James Cameron, made T1, T2, The Abyss, and uhh Titanic.

All the promos showed the most realistic CG world ever. It looks a little dated now, but back then it was unbelievable.

3D was the hottest shit and one of the most acclaimed directors ever, was going all in on it with his latest movie. This was THE showcase for 3D movies, so of course people wanted to see it.

Word of mouth. I saw Avatar twice in the theater. The first time with a friend the second time with my wife, because of the 3D. Pandora was an awesome setting and the fact that it was 100% fake, but looked so inviting in 3D was mind blowing at the time. So, I took my wife and told others to see it. Most people including myself, didn't give a fuck about the story. It was serviceable and gave a loose foundation to build up the world.

I haven't re-watched it in years, but when I get a 4K TV I will probably watch it again.

Nintenleo

Nov 9, 2017
Italy
I'm not a big fan of Cameron, but the fact that he reached those records with a completely new IP is something that still blows my mind (though, yes, he was THE 3D movie by THE box office king). Anyway, I don't really think a new Avatar could get close to Endgame, a film that was built up in a span of ten freaking years of really good movies.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
im purely into films about unobtanium, the most unobtainable of iums

You jest but it's a real scientific term. Still doesn't make it less stupid though. The writers couldn't come up with a better sounding name for a fictional precious resource?
Tiberium, vespian gas, etc....games did it all the time

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I can see why you would be surprised people liked it, but why people went to see it?

James Cameron, made T1, T2, The Abyss, and uhh Titanic.

All the promos showed the most realistic CG world ever. It looks a little dated now, but back then it was unbelievable.

3D was the hottest shit and one of the most acclaimed directors was going all in on it with his latest movie. This was the best showcase for 3D movie, so of course people wanted to see it.

Word of mouth. I saw Avatar twice in the theater. The first time with a friend the second time with my wife, because of the 3D. Pandora was an awesome setting and the fact that it was 100% fake, but looked so inviting in 3D was mind blowing at the time. So, I took my wife and told others to see it. Most people including myself, didn't give a fuck about the story. It was serviceable and gave a loose foundation to build up the world.

I haven't re-watched it in years, but when I get a 4K TV I will probably watch it again.

I don't even think it looks all that dated compared to what they are putting out now. I think it still surpasses most of the blockbusters today.