• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
That's some solid positive thinking but "will people still go to the movies in large numbers" is not really something that's been in question, like, ever. Let alone in the last ten years or so. He shouldn't be worried about whether people will flock to the theaters anymore, he should be worried (and probably is) that people will flock to see Avatar anymore.

Wasnt part of the reason that Avatar had such a large BO was the 3D ticket prices?

It helped but not as much as the constant repeat viewings over weeks and weeks. Even at normal prices Avatar had enough legs that it probably still would have been #1 by a comfortable margin.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
That's some solid positive thinking but "will people still go to the movies in large numbers" is not really something that's been in question, like, ever. Let alone in the last ten years or so. He shouldn't be worried about whether people will flock to the theaters anymore, he should be worried (and probably is) that people will flock to see Avatar anymore.

i mean even the bland ass lion king remake made like 1.6 billion, i think avatar 2-6 will do just fine

Deleted member 31923

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Of course he's not relieved or happy, but he's going to play it cool knowing that it only beat it by a small amount, and if he rereleases Avatar when Avatar 2 comes out, he can take back the crown.

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Well, he's right to have hope that way. It's hard to tell how the theater going experience will morph and change going forward.

Contramann

Oct 27, 2017
You joke, but Flight of Passage at Animal Kingdom (Avatar ride) shoot mist and fancy smells at you during the ride.
Maybe that ride was the prototype, James used that as a testing ground and work out the tech. This is the real reason the sequels have been taking so long! He just had to work out the bugs.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
the praising of Avatar's action has always been a little odd to me... won't knock the craft of it, because you can't; it's all composed and executed really well. But it's also, imo, not particularly memorable, especially compared to other setpieces Cameron has done. Like, Jake throwing the bag of grenades into Quarritch's chopper motor looked cool (for some reason this is the bit of the last act that my memory always goes to lol). But come on, nothing in Avatar comes close to something like the sinking of the Titanic!
The destruction of Home Tree is pretty spectacular, and there's a lot of crazy shit going on in the last 30~40 minutes of the movie. I'd say Neytiri riding an alien panther facing against a giant knife-wielding mech is memorable enough. :P And more serene set pieces like Jake flying for the first time are pretty beautiful in their own right honestly.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
I don't even think it looks all that dated compared to what they are putting out now. I think it still surpasses most of the blockbusters today.
It's been a bit since I last watched it, but every single time I have, at the start I'm like "this shit is so fake that's obviously CG" and by the end I'm like "Avatar was shot on location on Pandora and everything in the movie was real" hahahahaha

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
It's been a bit since I last watched it, but every single time I have, at the start I'm like "this shit is so fake that's obviously CG" and by the end I'm like "Avatar was shot on location on Pandora and everything in the movie was real" hahahahaha

LOL

I did a rewatch a year ago and couldn't believe how good it looked.

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Why people always marvel at Avatar taking the title for biggest box office despite being a new IP is so confusing.
No sequel has ever held that title, until now.

Kyonashi

Oct 24, 2017
UK
"It gives me a lot of hope," Cameron told Deadline. "Avengers: Endgame is demonstrable proof that people will still go to movie theaters. The thing that scared me most about making Avatar 2 and Avatar 3 was that the market might have shifted so much that it simply was no longer possible to get people that excited about going and sitting in a dark room with a bunch of strangers to watch something."

You know what, I'm not the biggest Cameron fan and certainly not the biggest Avatar fan but that's a really good and respectable response.