• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Chaparral

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Pretty gross terminology to use in a story about sexual assaults.

Exactly. I'm about this close to going nuclear on someone, and to call me a white knight for having the fucking gall to call out the double sided nature of how sex assault claims are treated on this site, and indeed in the actual real world, is gross and disgusting.

Carl2291

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I shouldn't have to ignore people that keep on saying quite underhandedly that women are lying whores, or spouting barely veiled transphobia. They should be banned. No tolerance for pushing the envelope on a person's humanity.
You'e too emotionally invested in being "right". Attacking the community and the moderators because they don' t automatically share your viewpoints isn't going to make people respect you or your opinions on the matter.

GotMineGood

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
What gets me is that if you sign up for a sex scene acting class what do you expect to happen

Often, scenes involving sexual acts or nudity have closed sets. These sets are designed to make sure only essential crew is around to shoot the material needed. That means no extraneous crew that can watch a scene in normal circumstances so as not to breed behavior that may lead to ogling or making the actor/actress feel more uncomfortable than they may already feel. I would expect that anyone signing up for a "sex scene acting class" would actually learn this valuable information and be given the due respect they deserve as artists and craftspeople. People generally expect to be treated well regardless of what they are engaging in.

Interestingly enough Disaster Artist Spoiler
there is a scene that kind of addresses this very thing and is kind of played up as a joke and now in retrospect seems cruel based on these allegations

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I hope the people in the previous thread reflect on how they were a part of the problem in not believing women and going on and on about false allegations and focusing on the men.

Verano

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
And watch as all the people in the last Franco thread that argued otherwise are long gone.

How many times does it need to be said before arrogant, ignorant men, especially on this board, get it? WHEN IT COMES TO SEXUAL ASSAULT, BELIEVE WOMEN, ALWAYS.
Thats quite an ignorant statement. There's been several cases where some women recant their rape/sexual assault allegations.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
When the mods clearly don't give a shit about the misogyny other then the clear cut cases, and not the underlying, insidious misogyny found within the forum that goes back to GAF, then it is sort of pointless to bring this up with mods, isn't it?
Is this the thing to do on this site? I see it happen all the time here, Put down and attempt to shame the mods into banning who you want? The people who need to get banned....get banned.

Cap G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope the people in the previous thread reflect on how they were a part of the problem in not believing women and going on and on about false allegations and focusing on the men.
Honest question, have we reached a point where this conversation is unable to make meaningful progress without specifically naming and shaming those users?

Everyone is just bemoaning how cyclical it is and it seems that it will remain that way unless the issue is actually contextualize differently.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thats quite an ignorant statement. There's been several cases where some women recant their rape/sexual assault allegations.

And there is a massive amount of cases where women didn't come forward till now because of the reception and backlash they would face. Yeah there are false accusations made but there is a far far more severe problem with under reporting than there is false accusations.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Too bad, I will be avoiding out of principle. I also don't think I could sit through it without being disgusted, knowing what we know now.

Tommy Wiseau was already, at best, a pretty rampant misogynist and The Room is a wildly misogynistic movie.

That should be for any sex related crime. Regardless of gender.
You're right, but James Franco isn't accusing these women of actually exploiting or abusing him, so what's your point?

Geist

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Whenever the accusation is true there seems to always be multiple other independent accusations not far behind as well as a paper/digital trail to back it up. I wish defenders would understand that these things don't just appear in a vacuum.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I hope not, but I have a feeling because he's relatively young and attractive this will just blow over.
If it blows over it'll be because some at this point:

1. It seems revelations this often and of all kinds is starting to rub some the wrong way in that they don't want to stop enjoying actors due to accusations so mental gymnastics mode.

2. He's part of the Seth Rogen group of actors and those guys tend to support each other anyways since they're friends. Older teens and college students are probably their primary audience and I can't think it'll be a huge deal with that age group.

Personally Ive enjoyed james Franco, but it's not like he's someone who is so often in movies and TV I watch I can't avoid him. So I'll attempt to avoid supporting him for now.

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Today, she tells the LA Times that she filmed a nude orgy scene with Franco three years ago, and that during the course of filming he removed the plastic guards covering several other actresses' vaginas.

Jesus Christ. This is so gross. It made my skin crawl.

Edit: Some of the responses in this thread are ridiculous. These Hollywood scumbags don't need or deserve forum warriors defending them.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
My issue is that aside from the consentual relationship issue (which boils down to he said/she said), what sucks is how for someone who supposedly takes the art of motion pictures seriously he abused it and ruined what should have been a great opportunity for people to live their dream for what, so he could see live breasts?

Usually film sets go out of their way to make sure the actors feel comfortable when shooting a sex scene; only people supposed to be there are allowed on set, etc. I remember hearing about a production that found a way to have all women only on the set outside of the actors to make em feel even more comfortable.

But your mans here was running around 'Take them titties out' like he's judging a spring break wet t shirt contest, and he's supposed to be a serious filmmaker?

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Is that a meme? If not, then I understand what you're trying to say, accusations should always be taken seriously. But this is poorly worded, men and women lie.
Men have it so hard in life when it comes to power and sexual inequality. Better equate them as being the same I guess.

Yes it's a strong statement, but I don't see anything wrong with strong statements that are aimed to improving how victims of sexual harassment/assault are treated.

Supercrap

Oct 28, 2017
Oakland Bay Area
Is that a meme? If not, then I understand what you're trying to say, accusations should always be taken seriously. But this is poorly worded, men and women lie.

I think that's exactly why he's getting pushback. The statement is a bit extreme.

In terms of this story, it's unfolding before our eyes - there's really no point in putting a stake in the ground before information was out

hansel

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Oh, we have the capability of lieing! So, let's wait for absolute concrete evidence before making a personal judgement about a celebrity.

Remember folks, we can't possibly do so otherwise!

WE NEED THAT EVIDENCE!

Oct 28, 2017
Can you give me an entire list of people like this?

I await the full report.
There isn't a full report out there because just like how accusations are difficult to prove, accusations are difficult to disprove and whatever statistics that are coming out are based on cases that got to the point of being handled by police.

I put this in the same category as innocent people on death row (something I consider one of the most abhorrent things in the world). A single person being subjected to it is absolutely unacceptable but at least with the death penalty, there's due process.All an accusation needs to ruin someone's life and career beyond repair is simply that, an accusation.

I find the idea that women should be treated like they lack negative human traits just because women were subjected to some pretty awful treatment throughout history absolutely terrifying. I don't find it at all controversial to say that there are malicious, horrible people who happen to be women. Let's not act like they don't exist because one innocent person suffering the consequences of these kinds of accusations is not okay.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_accusation_of_rape

AtmaPhoenix

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
And watch as all the people in the last Franco thread that argued otherwise are long gone.

How many times does it need to be said before arrogant, ignorant men, especially on this board, get it? WHEN IT COMES TO SEXUAL ASSAULT, BELIEVE WOMEN, ALWAYS.

I'm a guy that's been sexually assaulted by a woman. If you ask her, she'd likely deny it. Do you believe women always in my case? I'm not trying to be confrontational, but the world is shades of grey, unfortunately. Listening to victims and believing them is all well and good. But don't get so caught up in the hatred for misogyny that you miss the bigger picture.

On topic, it looks like James Franco is a piece of shit. Surprise. Shock. I wonder if Seth Rogen has known or if he's complicit in any way since they're so close.

Deleted member 835

User requested account deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Several vs 100's of thousands if not millions of women who are raped (world wide) staying quiet due to backlash. Believe the accuser and support them instead of calling them a liar and keeping them silent until proven otherwise

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I'm a guy that's been sexually assaulted by a woman. If you ask her, she'd likely deny it. Do you believe women always in my case? I'm not trying to be confrontational, but the world is shades of grey, unfortunately. Listening to victims and believing them is all well and good. But don't get so caught up in the hatred for misogyny that you miss the bigger picture.

On topic, it looks like James Franco is a piece of shit. Surprise. Shock. I wonder if Seth Rogen has known or if he's complicit in any way since they're so close.
I believe you.

That statement clearly meant was when women are speaking out about abuse they've suffered.

clearacell

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds about right, there have been too many rumors and straight up social media stuff you always wonder what wasn't being told.

Dec 12, 2017
Philadelphia Area
I had trepdiation about seeing Disaster Artist considering that I don't like Seth Rogen and that I heard Franco had a history of being a creep, but this is the final nail in that coffin. Fuck him, I hope the women he abused get the justice they deserve.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There isn't a full report out there because just like how accusations are difficult to prove, accusations are difficult to disprove and whatever statistics that are coming out are based on cases that got to the point of being handled by police.

I put this in the same category as innocent people on death row (something I consider one of the most abhorrent things in the world). A single person being subjected to it is absolutely unacceptable but at least with the death penalty, there's due process.All an accusation needs to ruin someone's life and career beyond repair is simply that, an accusation.

I find the idea that women should be treated like they lack negative human traits just because women were subjected to some pretty awful treatment throughout history absolutely terrifying.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_accusation_of_rape

No one is saying they lack negative traits. What people are saying is false accusations are an issue but a molehill compared to the mountain of actual sexual violence that women have faced and been unable to even come out and talk about, let alone get justice of any kind for.

FrakEarth

Oct 25, 2017
Liverpool, UK
I don't think it's unreasonable for people to want to know more before they decide whether to join in maligning someones character. I leave the veracity of claims and the matter of guilt or innocence to the authorities, personally. Its reasonable to expect that someone facing such allegations should have them investigated and have to answer for them though.

The assumption should be that the matter needs investigating, not that everything said is true. Although innocent until proven guilty, I don't think its unreasonable for media institutions and companies to review or suspend their partnerships pending the result of an investigation - or severing ties altogether if an investigation can't be brought about.

Deleted member 835

User requested account deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I am sorry this happened, It's sad this happened to you, like it is sad I was abused as a kid

This is a thread about woman being abused/ harassed, not about guys that have been assualted

DJwest

Oct 26, 2017
Men have it so hard in life when it comes to power and sexual inequality. Better equate them as being the same I guess.

Yes it's a strong statement, but I don't see anything wrong with strong statements that are aimed to improving how victims of sexual harassment are treated.

Oh, we have the capability of lieing! So, let's wait for absolute concrete evidence before making a personal judgement about a celebrity.

Remember folks, we can't possibly do so otherwise!

WE NEED THAT EVIDENCE!
Tone down the sarcasm, will you? Always believe women is a radical view that will surely lead to innocent lives getting ruined. Again, I said that all accusations should be taken seriously, so take a chill pill.

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's unreasonable for people to want to know more before they decide whether to join in maligning someones character. I leave the veracity of claims and the matter of guilt or innocence to the authorities, personally. Its reasonable to expect that someone facing such allegations should have them investigated and have to answer for them though.

The authorities are notoriously bad at handling these cases though, just throwing it in their hands and saying "That's the only thing that matters" is kind of missing the point of why they're coming out like this

moonknight93

Banned
Nov 29, 2017

That is stupid. There are many examples of women falsely accusing men of sexual assault. Believing someone is guilty of a crime just because he/she has been accused, without a trial or a consistent proof, is barbarian and irresponsible.

Oct 27, 2017
I think people just fail to see the big picture here and get hung up on a "what if someone made a false accusation against me?" hypothetical and therefore can't think clearly about it.

This isn't about you.

GotMineGood

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
The authorities are notoriously bad at handling these cases though, just throwing it in their hands and saying "That's the only thing that matters" is kind of missing the point of why they're coming out like this
missing the point seems to be the main theme of the pushback against this. not sure how to fix that level of ignorance when they won't even really listen or concede there is a systemic problem.

Goodstyle

Banned
Nov 1, 2017

This isn't a good precedent to set. Kneejerk disbelieving all allegations is stupid and dangerous, but thinking this way is a disservice to victims everywhere. Believe women means taking claims seriously, always. It doesn't mean having zero scrutiny and zero need to investigate.

When I say believe women, I really hope people don't take it the way you mean it.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
This is a thread about woman being abused/ harassed, not about guys that have been assualted
Holy cow! This is a thread about showing compassion for survivors of sexual assault when they speak up, and you just told a survivor of sexual assault who spoke up to fuck off to another thread.