• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
That is a valid question for anyone who makes a claim about anything. And pitchforks shouldn't be brought out against the victim who made the claim just like the other side. But everyone instantly wants to get riled up when someone says "hey I want to hear more before condemning either side"
For me it's whether I want to consider the guy a creepy perv who needs to fucking learn that they are doing is fucking gross. Or if I should grab a pitchfork to his public execution to a guy for being a sexually dangerous person.

Creepy pervs need to get some fucking help and a slap upside their head and apologize for their shot. The other guys (like Spacey) deserve to have some awful shit happen to them.

GotMineGood

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Just because something is how our justice system works, doesnt mean its justice.

There will be no charges against him. He will be free. Women will be more wary of him for sure. He will assault and harass again.
More stupid fucks will defend him and say "let the courts do it" as more and more women become victims. You really dont give a shit about them.

"Believe Women" is actual change.

Its a system to fight back and change the way harassment works. The amount of innocent men who are damaged by it is a cost worth to paying to change the current system where only 23% of all rapes and assaults are reported to the police(1). Of those that are reported about 16% chance of them spending any time in jail (2)

So keep coming into threads and saying "this is bullshit" "innocent until proven guilty" and continue to watch women be assaulted by the status quo you keyboard warrior so hard to defend.
well said

Oct 27, 2017
Listening, believing, and proving are three very distinct things, though there seems to be many here who are conflating all three into one as if that's a fair move to make. It isn't. Listening is always good. Believing is reasonable if there are corroborating accounts. Proving is what a court is for.

Thank you. This needs to be said. Nuance needs to be brought back to the discussion. It is important to be fair to everyone involved with an accusation, adapting your opinion to the information available, changing it if need be if new information comes to light.

We are going to contribute to cutting short a good thing if we don't keep level heads, albeit with emotions running high.

Don't give people with malicious intent ammo to undermine it.

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The efficacy of the police and prosecution is a matter for those who control those bodies - or maybe even the plebiscite / the public itself. In my opinion, anyway. If laws are not being applied properly or fairly, then the circumstances should be brought about so that they can be. There are certainly almost always processes and provisions that can be altered or improved to make the system more approachable and more consequential for victims. But to suspend the presumption of innocence per the crime or per the allegation does not seem sensible to me. Nobody should be being convicted, even in the court of public opinion, based on hearsay.

That is not to say that other celebrities, or the public, or companies can't make a rational risk-weighted decisions about probable guilt and act in their own interest to distance themselves from people. That of course does, and will, happen. To demand that people accept unproven testimony as 'truth' seems needlessly tyrannical to me. I would say testimony need only be treated as 'possible truth'. And in cases such as this where the allegations are grotesque, and repeated, it is entirely reasonable that people might form a 'no smoke without fire' kind of opinion - but to automatically promote all allegations to truth? I think that's quite wrongheaded, personally.

Yes, the system is broken. That's why they're coming out publicly with it because the system doesn't work. You can say "Things should be changed" but this has been an issue for decades at minimum, and it hasn't changed. Telling these women to stop coming out like this because its "wrongheaded" and "tyrannical" is still missing the point. He will literally never be proven guilty for this with the way the system works. Do you think that makes him innocent?

Deleted member 835

User requested account deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I know. It's just the language that bothered me. If they'd said believe victims I probably wouldn't have said anything. I fully support the current climate of women coming out and exposing all these men that have abused their power. And the focus should totally be on them for sure.

Okay. And? This is literally the first time I've ever said anything publicly about me being sexual assaulted because this particular poster's wording and following arguments triggered something in me. Am I not allowed to respond for discussion purposes?

I definitely don't want to derail or make this a thread about me, but I'd at least like to be able to reply to another fellow poster in the hopes that they can think about what they said and maybe consider how to broach this subject in the future.
What I was saying is this is a thread about women coming forward, that is what the whole believe women always is about. It isn't about women that go around harassing men. If you think believe women always as believe sexual assualt/rape etc accusers always that is basically what it is. That doesn't mean to burn down the accused, it means believe and support the woman (and men) until proved otherwise. While there are many men that have been assualted/abused raped etc there are sadly far far more women.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
Not this shit again.

No, don't always believe women outright.

Take their accusations seriously. Do the necessary investigations to confirm whether or not accusations or true. Take the potential victims seriously and do not belittle them. Don't accuse them of making false accusations.

But you keep saying BELIEVE THEM as if you think no such investigation should be done. They said it, so it's a fact and that's that.

Courts were invented for a reason you know.

In the Court of Public Opinion, you only get the benefit of the doubt when it's 1 v 1 and his word vs. her word with no other witnesses or evidence.

When it's 5+ v 1, chances are more favorable that the 1 is guilty and that's the assumption everyone should make because it may never get to an actual courtroom and justice may never be served even if it did make it that far.

In this case, Franco appears to be the asshole and he's wealthy enough to survive if his career tanks because of his sexual misconduct. His victims are not as well off, so this is their only chance for justice.

#BelieveWomen

WoahW

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What I was saying is this is a thread about women coming forward, that is what the whole believe women always is about. It isn't about women that go around harassing men. If you think believe women always as believe sexual assualt/rape etc accusers always that is basically what it is. That doesn't mean to burn down the accused, it means believe and support the woman until proved otherwise. While there are many men that have been assualted/abused raped etc there are sadly far far more women.

Then you need to say that instead of what you said. Because it was two very different perspectives

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And watch as all the people in the last Franco thread that argued otherwise are long gone.

How many times does it need to be said before arrogant, ignorant men, especially on this board, get it? WHEN IT COMES TO SEXUAL ASSAULT, BELIEVE WOMEN, ALWAYS.

Please don't do this again. This is a statement that has to be qualified or it becomes zealotry. What you should really say is- don't dismiss or downplay allegations of sexual assault or harassment. Take them seriously, and investigate them. What you are saying, it's problematic.

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Please don't do this again. This is a statement that has to be qualified or it becomes zealotry. What you should really say is- don't dismiss or downplay allegations of sexual assault or harassment. Take them seriously, and investigate them. What you are saying, it's problematic.

That's literally all that means. Instead of the hordes of guys descending on these threads to remind us that false accusations happen and she could be a horrible liar.

DJwest

Oct 26, 2017
Not a subject I'm a able to be chill about.
Stop replying to me then.

The believe women always is believing a woman who comes forward instead of dismissing her claims like many men do, until proved otherwise. It doesn't mean the accused should have their lives ruined
We agree, I never said accusations should be dismissed until there is evidence. Quite the opposite actually.

Waiting for this unicorn of evidence you want will lead to these accusations going NO WHERE and women feeling like they can't speak up anymore.

Again, what do these women, or any woman for that matter, have to gain by making it up?

I don't know if I'm not expressing myself well (English is my second language) but let me try again. By all means, if an accusation of assault is made against somebody, the alleged victim should come forward and report it. And that accusation should be investigated with all the seriousness it deserves. I don't think anyone should be labelled a rapist without evidence, a conviction though or several corroborating facts about the abuse though. Please PM if you disagree with me and want to continue this discussion.

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
The amount of innocent men who are damaged by it is a cost worth to paying to change the current system.

See you lose me here. You are asking for a change to guilty unless proven innocent. This doesn't fly for any other crime, it's not going to fly for this. Opening admitting you are just going to throw the innocent under the bus for your cause ultimately defeats it, as you're literally creating the very people that fight against this change, as they have been "wronged" by the system.

I'm not going to accept any system that will knowing convict any innocent person, regardless of gender, all for the greater good. The justice system is broken. No one is going to argue that. Switch to guilty first isn't going to fix it.

Women need to be taken seriously each and every time an accusation is placed. But there should always be, even if it's just a formality given the weight and evidence behind the accusation, a chance for the accused to make some sort of statement or defend themselves.

James Franco is not doing a good job defending himself. His career, and life, will likely suffer the consequences because of it. But at least he'll have a chance, no matter how foolhardy or dishonest it is, to defend himself. That's all I ask.

Deleted member 17402

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
These discussions almost always immediately devolve into extremes, and quite frankly it undermines discussion and staves off people from even wanting to participate. Not only are some people clearly incapable of exercising caution while simultaneously giving the victim the benefit of the doubt (both of which are possible without jumping to conclusions), but people are also slammed for not being quick to rush to judgment. For most of us it's a case by case basis. In one case we may feel strongly that the allegations are true, in another we may not. That one poster who says he or she automatically believes women 100% of the time has the right to feel that way, just as others have a right not to hold that view, but don't try to shame people for exercising caution as if that's some alien or disturbing concept.

In this particular case Franco seems to be stumbling out of the gate, which adds veracity to the claims for me. I hope the claims aren't true, but I'm prepared for them to be. That's about all I can say.

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if I'm not expressing myself well (English is my second language) but let me try again. By all means, if an accusation of assault is made against somebody, the alleged victim should come forward and report it. And that accusation should be investigated with all the seriousness it deserves. I don't think anyone should be labelled a rapist without evidence, a conviction though or several corroborating facts about the abuse though. Please PM if you disagree with me and want to continue this discussion.

And when the system is broken, what is the solution?

RalchAC

Oct 27, 2017
This is usually how I feel. If it's just an isolated case with nothing else to back it up I'm kind of willing to give the benefit of the doubt or at least wait for more evidence. Once you start having multiple sources (especially unrelated sources) making similar claims plus potentially other evidence you can be pretty much certain the accusations are real.

Pretty much every time we hear about an accusation it's almost always followed by people corroborating the story.

That's my view in general too. One isolated case may be a false accusation and worth giving the accuser the benefit of the doubt, but there are a lot of cases where the accusations add up. So it's either a conspiracy against said person or an abuse of power on his part. And one sounds much more realistic than the other.

Most cases that have gathered attention have included multiple allegations. This one has 5. He has the right to go to trial and try to prove his innocence, but there is too much smoke for this to be a BBQ IMO.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Clearly he hasn't spammed enough yet and doesn't want an actual discussion just wants everyone to instantly believe everything they see and hope it works out that way. Smfh the world these days from scumbags who commit sexual assault to shit like this.

Please tell me what is to be discussed then about women lying sometimes in every thread about women coming out about sexual harassment.

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Exactly. That person needs to word it less stupidly in the future. All it does is lead to a mountain of "Nuh uhhhhh" responses.

GonzoFro

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Waiting for this unicorn of evidence you want will lead to these accusations going NO WHERE and women feeling like they can't speak up anymore.

Again, what do these women, or any woman for that matter, have to gain by making it up?
Just out of curiosity, do you know?
Because the parents of Emmitt Till would love that answer, as well.
It has been documented for decades that people, both male and female, lie for extreme and unknown reasons.
Thats one of the biggest curiosities to our psyche.
Carolyn Bryant Donham both lied under oath and provided a recant 50 years later that caused the beating and lynching death of a 14 year old boy. I'd love to know why.
https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/01/27/us/emmett-till-lynching-carolyn-bryant-donham.html

The answer lies in the middle,you believe accusations while respecting the rights of the accused. Until some proof can come forwared, it's heresy.
Blackstone formula should always be followed.

WoahW

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Please tell me what is to be discussed then about women lying sometimes in every thread about women coming out about sexual harassment.

Oh I don't know maybe waiting for the facts and discussing any known history between the victim and the accused, maybe if the acucused has done anything like that before etc. but hey yeah keep pretending like you aren't part of the problem by crossing into the extreme.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Now because I am curious, is anything he did technically illegal? Can he serve jail time at all? It's pretty scummy 100%, I am just curious if the law could actually do anything?

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure he was just saying there should be actual investigations and police reports filed. Damning someone without doing any investigation is pretty ill minded.

As I've talked about multiple times here, as have the women coming forward in multiple cases, the system doesn't work. Investigations and police reports are REALLY bad at handling any cases relating to this. They're coming forward like this because its the only way for them to be taken seriously. If he went to trial over this, do you think he'd be found guilty? If he wasn't, do you think that means he honestly didn't do it?

Rangerx

Oct 25, 2017
Dangleberry
I hope the people in the previous thread reflect on how they were a part of the problem in not believing women and going on and on about false allegations and focusing on the men.

Nobody is focusing on the men. All those posters are saying is that you should take all accusations seriously and investigate them accordingly. Believing anyone 100% without evidence is ridiculous and also bad practice in a court of law.

Deleted member 835

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure he was just saying there should be actual investigations and police reports filed. Damning someone without doing any investigation is pretty ill minded.
But there is likely no evidence due to the passing of time. This is why believing victims is so important, it will mean more will come forward sooner. Instead of feeling like they should stay silent as they will not be believed and will be shamed

Burly

Oct 25, 2017
I am sorry this happened, It's sad this happened to you, like it is sad I was abused as a kid

This is a thread about woman being abused/ harassed, not about guys that have been assualted

Technically his thread is about the accusations made against James Franco specifically. You and other posters have decided to expanded the scope to include all cases of women being harassed. If someone want to expand the discussion further, let them. It's not up to you to decide what people want to talk about in this thread. If you think it's off topic, report it, and let the mods decide what is appropriate for this thread.

*edit grammar & missing words

Last edited:

AtmaPhoenix

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
What I was saying is this is a thread about women coming forward, that is what the whole believe women always is about. It isn't about women that go around harassing men. If you think believe women always as believe sexual assualt/rape etc accusers always that is basically what it is. That doesn't mean to burn down the accused, it means believe and support the woman (and men) until proved otherwise. While there are many men that have been assualted/abused raped etc there are sadly far far more women.

100% agree. I was just incensed by that particular poster's attitude and the way they were talking and forgot the overall picture.

Also don't know if you saw my edit to my original post, but I'll put it here again: Saw your edit and other posts and I'm sorry for what you had to go through. I apologize and know this is a difficult subject to discuss in a lot of ways. I really didn't want to take away from women being sexually assaulted or believing them, I just wanted to try and get that particular poster to see another viewpoint.

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nobody is focusing on the men. All those posters are saying is that you should take all accusations seriously and investigate them accordingly. Believing anyone 100% without evidence is ridiculous and also bad practice in a court of law.

I'm not sure what sexual assault threads you've been in on this site lately, but that's pretty much the main focus. "What if Franco is the real victim?"

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Oh I don't know maybe waiting for the facts and discussing any known history between the victim and the accused, maybe if the acucused has done anything like that before etc. but hey yeah keep pretending like you aren't part of the problem by crossing into the extreme.

Those of us listening to the voices of harassment, assault, and rape victims are not part of the problem. Go do your high and mighty finger wagging elsewhere.

Deleted member 4346

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I will say, I'll be mad if Franco continues his career unaffected by this, and I suspect that he might. He's talented enough, or he makes enough interesting stuff, to weather this storm, I think. But we'll see.

Rmagnus

Oct 28, 2017
Exactly. It is absolutely infuriating to see it happen, and I will show no quarter in pointing out the hypocrisy in some of the users of this board when it comes to believing sex assault victims.

Guys in general can't relate to the amount of courage it takes for victims to come out... The amount of social stigma and pressure it has on the victims

legacyzero

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Holy shit. Welp. There you go. Career ended for this dude. Feel bad for Seth Rogen

And watch as all the people in the last Franco thread that argued otherwise are long gone.

How many times does it need to be said before arrogant, ignorant men, especially on this board, get it? WHEN IT COMES TO SEXUAL ASSAULT, BELIEVE WOMEN, ALWAYS.

Nah. Due process always. No exceptions.

"But this is why people don't come forward."
I mean, 6 months ago that might have been right. More than ever now, women especially feel more empowered to do so, and the proof is evident. Good I say. But if even one person, male or female loses their livelihood and legacy because of false accusations, is one too many.

Change it to "Take Women stepping forward seriously always" and you have my support.

Jadusable

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

That sounds insane and totally unattached from the real world. As I said in the previous thread, an ex of mine literally tried to ruin my life when I wouldn't give her the satisfaction of a dramatic breakup after she broke up with me and I went no contact. She accused me of harassing her, stalking her, and being physically abusive towards her in the weeks after in very public ways. I've never done any of those things. She wanted to break me - to fundamentally destroy my livelihood in the most non violent way possible. I am lucky that I saved those text conversations and recorded arguments where she told me she could manipulate the police and ruin me. I went to the judge with this information, (as well as her admitting via text that she hit me before and could do it again if she wanted to), and with the documented text message exchanges and was granted a restraining order. If I didn't have that kind of proof, and if it was her word against mine, things probably would not have turned out the way in my favor. I heard through a friend that she was telling people I even sexually assaulted her before she was served the restraining order at work. My problems disappeared over night once that happened.

I've never seen someone so vindictive in my entire life - and it was scary. She was this normal, beautiful young girl that got all the attention in the world from guys. She never went to the police with it because she knew she had no case but that didn't stop her from publicly making this stuff up on Facebook, messaging my friends, and even harassing my family. It took me seeking legal action against her to finally get her to stop.

Women and men are both equally capable of extreme acts of cruelty. They are two equal genders. To say to always believe one gender over the other and that women can do no wrong is some next level sexist white knight bullshit. My past few months are living proof that women can lie about vile things. And no doubt men can as well, but having not dated a man I can't speak to that experience (but just look at some of our male politicians).

Now having finished my rant, I am not defending James Franco. I think when multiple women come forward about the same allegations my opinion and support start to side towards siding with the accusers instead of the innocent until proven guilty.

Even though I'm leaning towards him being guilty, I would like to see him formally address these allegations though when he's had time to think about what he wants to say - not when he's being blindsided on a talk show.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017

Even when the facts do come out people continue to parrot this shit.

Deleted member 835

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
100% agree. I was just incensed by that particular poster's attitude and the way they were talking and forgot the overall picture.

Also don't know if you saw my edit to my original post, but I'll put it here again: Saw your edit and other posts and I'm sorry for what you had to go through. I apologize and know this is a difficult subject to discuss in a lot of ways. I really didn't want to take away from women being sexually assaulted or believing them, I just wanted to try and get that particular poster to see another viewpoint.
I get what you were saying and I did snap at you a lil sorry man. But that isn't because of what you said it is mainly due to the posts that come in threads like this not wanting to believe the accuser or saying they want more evidence. Sadly we get this a hell of a lot on Era. The believe women always could be worded better and it's why I don't use it.

Also thank you

hansel

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just out of curiosity, do you know?
Because the parents of Emmitt Till would love that answer, as well.
It has been documented for decades that people, both male and female, lie for extreme and unknown reasons.
Thats one of the biggest curiosities to our psyche.
Carolyn Bryant Donham both lied under oath and provided a recant 50 years later that caused the beating and lynching death of a 14 year old boy. I'd love to know why.
https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/01/27/us/emmett-till-lynching-carolyn-bryant-donham.html

The answer lies in the middle,you believe accusations while respecting the rights of the accused. Until some proof can come forwared, it's heresy.
Blackstone formula should always be followed.

Two examples where the woman lied vs the copious amounts of women who went to the police and either got dismissed or have rape kits expiring in an evidence locker.

"
This may be hard to believe, especially considering that rape is a felony, punishable with years of prison. However—to start with this worst-case scenario—it's exceedingly rare for a false rape allegation to end in prison time. According to the National Registry of Exonerations, since records began in 1989, in the US there are only 52 cases where men convicted of sexual assault were exonerated because it turned out they were falsely accused. By way of comparison, in the same period, there are 790 cases in which people were exonerated for murder.

Furthermore, in the most detailed study ever conducted of sexual assault reports to police, undertaken for the British Home Office in the early 2000s, out of 216 complaints that were classified as false, only 126 had even gotten to the stage where the accuser lodged a formal complaint. Only 39 complainants named a suspect. Only six cases led to an arrest, and only two led to charges being brought before they were ultimately deemed false. (Here, as elsewhere, it has to be assumed that some unknown percentage of the cases classified as false actually involved real rapes; what they don't involve is countless innocent men's lives being ruined.)

"

https://qz.com/980766/the-truth-about-false-rape-accusations/

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
I don't see why the debate always rages on about who to believe. To me it's simple:

- Never call the accuser a liar.
- Don't assume the person accused is guilty based on one accusation.
- Wait to see what follows an accusation, such as people corroborating a story, a legal case, etc.

In a case such as this, where his response is poor and more people have accused him, I think it's then fair to start assuming there's quite a lot of truth to it.

Rangerx

Oct 25, 2017
Dangleberry
I'm not sure what sexual assault threads you've been in on this site lately, but that's pretty much the main focus. "What if Franco is the real victim?"

Well those posters are just as guilty of arguing in bad faith. The real point is all accusations should be taken seriously and investigated to the fullest extent. It is entirely appropriate to reserve final judgement until some evidence is gathered. Thats true of any single crime you can think of.