• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
And watch as all the people in the last Franco thread that argued otherwise are long gone.

How many times does it need to be said before arrogant, ignorant men, especially on this board, get it? WHEN IT COMES TO SEXUAL ASSAULT, BELIEVE WOMEN, ALWAYS.

Can we stop with the catch phrases? Just say believe women. We get what you mean. We don't have to keep repeating catchy snippets to get the point across.

Chaparral

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I too, supporting making a list of prospective future bans and then coming back to it for retroactive bannings once they have shown themselves to be wrong in the past.

That's what you're advocating for, right? Action against people who supported guilty sexual harassers?

I am advocating for the mods to show some accountability when it comes to underlying misogyny and misbelief in sexual assault allegations, and how some of the men on this board act when it comes to female-centric topics.

But I know I am going to be told to can it, that it's offtopic. So I am going to quit while I am ahead.

Deleted member 835

User requested account deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love James Franco, he's been an awesome actor since Freaks & Geeks. Can't honestly wait for the Disaster Artist.

About this drama surrounding him. Innocent until proven guilty, without a shadow of doubt. Like everyone should be.
5 women coming forward makes it basically 0% chance they are lying

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love James Franco, he's been an awesome actor since Freaks & Geeks. Can't honestly wait for the Disaster Artist.

About this drama surrounding him. Innocent until proven guilty, without a shadow of doubt. Like everyone should be.

How many women have to come forward before you consider he might be guilty?

PaJeppy

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
And watch as all the people in the last Franco thread that argued otherwise are long gone.

How many times does it need to be said before arrogant, ignorant men, especially on this board, get it? WHEN IT COMES TO SEXUAL ASSAULT, BELIEVE WOMEN, ALWAYS.

Why?

The statistics for false accusations are low but this sounds crazy to me.

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah but what if I come up with a fake hypothetical situation in my head where someone made up a story about me? What then? Am I just supposed to go to jail for life with no trial?

Rvaan

Oct 25, 2017
as bad as sexual assault is I feel even worse for these women if they learnt to act from james franco
giphy.gif

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
When the mods clearly don't give a shit about the misogyny other then the clear cut cases, and not the underlying, insidious misogyny found within the forum that goes back to GAF, then it is sort of pointless to bring this up with mods, isn't it?

I have brought this up with mods, in a more general sense. I was soundly ignored.

I'm tired of it.
So according to you the mods don't care about misogyny or transphobia. Maybe this isn't the site for you.

I am advocating for the mods to show some accountability when it comes to underlying misogyny and misbelief in sexual assault allegations, and how some of the men on this board act when it comes to female-centric topics.

But I know I am going to be told to can it, that it's offtopic. So I am going to quit while I am ahead.

Spoiler alert: You were never ahead.

Spaceships

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When I moved to this new city I had three different people (completely disconnected) tell me the same James Franco creep story between him and a local college student. It was an urban legend. I couldn't tell if it was legitimate or an easy celebrity story, because he has such a obvious creeper vibe that the accusations write themselves. I know a few times in the past, women I've known have gotten the shudders just talking about him

Goodstyle

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
This seems to be the accusation that a lot of people, especially on places like Reddit, are the most defensive about. Is it really that much of a stretch that James Franco opened an acting school for reasons other than the cultivation and love of the craft?

WoahW

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

This is a part of the problem.

Well time for his career to go up in flames as it should and anything recent should be investigated by police

TraBuch

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure he did some sketchy shit and he's a piece of shit for it, but is that last accusation a big deal? Isn't it obvious that there are more roles available for women that are willing to be nude? Like, if you have a no nudity clause in your contract, you're not gonna be cast in Black Sails or Spartacus, right?

Cap G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This seems to be the accusation that a lot of people, especially on places like Reddit, are the most defensive about. Is it really that much of a stretch that James Franco opened an acting school for reasons other than the cultivation and love of the craft?

I mean, he starred in a bunch of trash you've never heard of out of love of the craft.

Arkage

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Listening, believing, and proving are three very distinct things, though there seems to be many here who are conflating all three into one as if that's a fair move to make. It isn't. Listening is always good. Believing is reasonable if there are corroborating accounts. Proving is what a court is for.

FireSafetyBear

Banned for use of an alt-account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure he did some sketchy shit and he's a piece of shit for it, but is that last accusation a big deal? Isn't it obvious that there are more roles available for women that are willing to be nude? Like, if you have a no nudity clause in your contract, you're not gonna be cast in Black Sails or Spartacus, right?

They're saying they only got the roles if they agreed to do that. Women can do more than just be naked.

WoahW

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Listening, believing, and proving are three very distinct things, though there seems to be many here who are conflating all three into one as if that's a fair move to make. It isn't. Listening is always good. Believing is reasonable if there are corroborating accounts. Proving is what a court is for.

Exactly! Except just like the last thread, people listened and said well let's wait for more info only for people to come in and start spewing nonsense

Oct 28, 2017

This is insane. The idea that I should believe all women no matter what is just as insane as not believing all women no matter what. Each case is different and there are different degrees of severity. I don't think Louie CK should be treated like Harvey Weinstein either.

I'm willing to listen but to believe no matter what? No way.

Oct 25, 2017
When the mods clearly don't give a shit about the misogyny other then the clear cut cases, and not the underlying, insidious misogyny found within the forum that goes back to GAF, then it is sort of pointless to bring this up with mods, isn't it?

I have brought this up with mods, in a more general sense. I was soundly ignored.

I'm tired of it.

I see your point, but there is also an ignore function on this board as well.

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Haven't read all the allegations but since it concerns Franco, I just thought the timing of this was impeccable. When sitting in my lobby the other day a man came in to wait for his girlfriend who lives in the building. I started a conversation with him and found out he works in the entertainment industry as a stuntman and that he's specifically worked with Franco. Franco came up because I had mentioned Disaster Artist or something along those lines and he told me that he was a foul person and creeper around women. And here we are today.

Sure, one anecdote which shouldn't be given too much veracity but I thought it was interesting.

FireSafetyBear

Banned for use of an alt-account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is insane. The idea that I should believe women no matter what is just as insane as not believing women no matter what. Each case is different.

I'm willing to listen but to believe no matter what? No way.

The same women that weren't allowed to vote in the United States til 1920. Amazing, right?

Women have been totally treated equal since beginning of time.

MetalLord

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

So, if i was a girl and hated you, and said right now in this thread that you raped me, everybody should believe me and ban you ?

Klean

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
"Inappropriate" and "exploitive" aren't exactly on the same level as assault and rape.

In some cases, they said they believed Franco could offer them career advancement, and acquiesced to his wishes even when they were uncomfortable.

Oh boy...

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
This is insane. The idea that I should believe all women no matter what is just as insane as not believing all women no matter what. Each case is different and there are different degrees of severity. I don't think Louie CK should be treated like Harvey Weinstein either.

Weinstein should go to jail, Louis CK shouldn't.

There I treated them differently.

Mercurial

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

There is literally no human conflict of this magnitude in which one party should be believed with no scrutiny of the details. Even without malicious intent, the biological failings of human memory alone preclude any sensible person from adopting the mindset that you're advocating here.

You can and should be supportive of alleged victims but simply presupposing the guilt of someone else based on an unsubstantiated claim alone is a ridiculous expectation to have.

Deleted member 835

User requested account deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That should be for any sex related crime. Regardless of gender.
Women are far more likely to be abused/raped etc than a guy. Many many women don't feel able to come forward due to not being believed and be shut down by mobs calling them out. Men believing women when they come forward and not calling them a liar or you are just out for money etc needs to happen to change how bad society is for women.

Of course every victim should be believed, but this is very much about woman