• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/h...and-major-studio-movies-disney-firing-1133161

fired July 20 after past offensive tweets came to light, has been approached by several top producers and executives at major studios dangling big film projects, sources tell The Hollywood Reporter.

"I'd work with him in a heartbeat," says one senior executive at a rival studio. Like the dozen or so execs and producers THR spoke with, this exec asked to remain anonymous because Gunn is not permitted to entertain other offers while his negotiation to exit Disney is ongoing.

"I've been advised that we can't bring anything to him until the Disney matter is 100 percent resolved," says another studio executive. Major players said to be interested in Gunn's services run the gamut between studios, including Warner Bros., which has its rival superhero movies via DC Entertainment, and high-profile and Oscar-winning producers.

The interest makes sense given the outpouring of industry support for Gunn in the wake of his firing, including from the Guardians cast, which issued a joint letter calling for his reinstatement citing "little due process in the court of public opinion." Actor Dave Bautista went so far as to say he would quitthe Marvel franchise if Gunn's script weren't used.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/h...and-major-studio-movies-disney-firing-1133161

First:
sources say Disney plans on using Gunn's script for the third movie.

Now, for everyone fretting about how this firing will impact Gunn's job prospects going forward:
Gunn, who was fired July 20 after past offensive tweets came to light, has been approached by several top producers and executives at major studios dangling big film projects, sources tell The Hollywood Reporter.

"I'd work with him in a heartbeat," says one senior executive at a rival studio. Like the dozen or so execs and producers THR spoke with, this exec asked to remain anonymous because Gunn is not permitted to entertain other offers while his negotiation to exit Disney is ongoing.

"I've been advised that we can't bring anything to him until the Disney matter is 100 percent resolved," says another studio executive. Major players said to be interested in Gunn's services run the gamut between studios, including Warner Bros., which has its rival superhero movies via DC Entertainment, and high-profile and Oscar-winning producers.

Some experienced talent reps estimate that due to the unique situation, Gunn could receive a payout of $7 million to $10 million, if not potentially higher. And, more importantly, he would be free to take on another project immediately.

And finally, for the twist ending:
Two sources say there is a hope through the talks that Gunn could return in some fashion, even if it's to develop and direct another Marvel movie. "An end-all verdict hasn't been issued and conversations with Marvel are still ongoing," says one source familiar with the proceedings.

Deleted member 11093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Love how this backfired at Disney.
I'm starting to think that they'd bring him back for GotG3 but I'm not so sure about a potential fourth movie.

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
These things can definitely result in poisoning someone's career.... but for this one in particular, everyone seems to be like "nah, I'd work with him".

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
He'll be fine. As I said in the 50 other threads, any studio that doesn't cater specifically to families with kids is going to want him.

SixtyFourBlades

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
Disney right now:

200.gif

VectorPrime

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
Whoever pulled the trigger on firing Gunn (no pun) without taking even a moment to think about what they were doing is so goddamned stupid.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Please please pleasenot DC, trust him with a franchise that isn't a dumpster fire already !

Jam

Oct 25, 2017
Love how this backfired at Disney.
I'm starting to think that they'd bring him back for GotG3 but I'm not so sure about a potential fourth movie.

He wouldn't do GotG4 anyway, he said after 2 that 3 would be his last directed Guardians film. He was meant to be overseeing Cosmic MCU in some aspects though.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get why Disney pretended they didn't know about the tweets, nor why they felt the need to speak up about a "campaign" by a few alt right idiots. They should have just let it go, not commenting on it.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Weird to me that they think he's a sick asshole but are happy to use his script. If they really want to maintain an apparent moral highground they should probably throw out his script.

That said as a GOTG fan this is the right call for the movie creatively I guess.

Deleted member 21

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
So has there still been no official comment by Disney yet?

This story is immortal at this point

Oct 27, 2017
Two sources say there is a hope through the talks that Gunn could return in some fashion, even if it's to develop and direct another Marvel movie. "An end-all verdict hasn't been issued and conversations with Marvel are still ongoing," says one source familiar with the proceedings.
This seems absurd.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Would be such a waste at DC with WB at the moment unless he gets to do a fresh take without any baggage. I refuse to pay to see Leto in another DC film.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

The thing is, Disney and Gunn are still in talks to formerly resolve the issue and discuss a settlement since he was under contract. This is why studios haven't approached him yet. So if Disney sees this and thinks "shit, we messed up" they could probably ask him to come back, which is in the article but left out of the OP.

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017
If they didn't already have a Lantern film in the works he'd be an amazing get for it. Suicide Squad with him would be great as well.

Absent

Oct 26, 2017
Wait, they're considering giving him another Marvel movie? What a strange turn of events.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Is this shocking news? he probably got calls taht weekened

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
I guarantee Walter Hamada already has the Superman or Green Lantern offer letter written