• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

OnPorpoise

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If those pics are the best dirt they could find after all these weeks to dig and prepare, they're struggling.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
Ehhh, Dave needs to chill. I love the man and his loyalty, but you don't need to respond to every troll especially with profanities.

No, he doesn't. His friend was fired because of loser trolls like that and some asshole throws up some dumb picture from a BREITBART article as evidence of Gunn's pedophilia. And Disney is, first and foremost, a money making conglomerate, let's drop this "family friendly" nonsense.

OnPorpoise

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What's really silly is one of the girls in those pics is almost definitely Chantal Claret, who was in the band Morningwood and is married to Jimmy Urine from Mindless Self Indulgence, who was actually in GotG2 as a Ravager.

It's just old party pics that have been available online via social media for years.

Tonedeff

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Post-crisis victimhood can be opportunity-time for sure in a society that notices victims. Still think the best move is for him to move along, whilst getting even more brownie points by, in a sense, "bequeathing", with no ego, the job to someone less opportuned. That way, everyone but the German fascists win

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
"He needs to chill and just ignore the guy who somehow has a blue checkmark helping to spread a false rumor that his friend is a pedophile."

No, he doesn't need to chill.

I don't get why you're so hung up on it, unless you have stock in Disney or something.

^
Factually wrong post.

I know it's hard to believe, especially in the age of Trump, but real people with jobs dealing with the public don't converse and conduct themselves the same way as internet trolls. It's fine to rebut trolls and call them out as you wish, it's another to go on a profanity laden tirade.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I know it's hard to believe, especially in the age of Trump, but real people with jobs dealing with the public don't converse and conduct themselves the same way as internet trolls. It's fine to rebut trolls and call them out as you wish, it's another to go on a profanity laden tirade.

No, you're just trying to find things to pick at.

He said a bad word. The horror!

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017

You're talking about Dave Fucking Batista here. Get real.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
So, not much movement/news during the weekend?

It's a pity that this isn't resolved any faster. Either way, I want to hear something new now :P
The petition is still crawling on, it's almost at 380k now btw. Not that 400k is gonna change anything, but even getting close, it's reaching a number I would have never expected.

How many weeks will this situation continue?

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam
If there are some rumors about new directors, I guess James Gunn is out for good. But if 2 parties continue like until GOTG3 begins filming, Disney would have to beg Gunn back or they will miss ~$800m blockbuster released date, actors contracts . . .

Feb 3, 2018
If there are some rumors about new directors, I guess James Gunn is out for good. But if 2 parties continue like until GOTG3 begins filming, Disney would have to beg Gunn back or they will miss ~$800m blockbuster released date, actors contracts . . .

There isnt any that I know of. Some people want Taika Waititi to direct this like he even wants to be near this mess.

Yeah good luck finding anyone wanting to step in I mean when the cast and crew are pissed this has happened to Gunn I would not wanna be the new guy sitting in the director chair.

Malverde

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Not sure how many people feel the same as me but this whole thing has been a wet blanket on top of what was huge reinvigorated excitement for the MCU post Infinity War. At this point, bringing him back on board completely along with an admission of "we fucked up" is the only real ending I'll be satisfied with.

That said, Slither is one of the most incredible movies ever and the writing in those Scooby Doo films were fire. Him actually going off and doing other projects sooner rather than later wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. Bautista has pretty much cemented his spot next to Nathan Fillion and Michael Rooker to appear in all future James Gunn movies and I am eager to see his next wholly original project.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Not sure how many people feel the same as me but this whole thing has been a wet blanket on top of what was huge reinvigorated excitement for the MCU post Infinity War. At this point, bringing him back on board completely along with an admission of "we fucked up" is the only real ending I'll be satisfied with.

That said, Slither is one of the most incredible movies ever and the writing in those Scooby Doo films were fire. Him actually going off and doing other projects sooner rather than later wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. Bautista has pretty much cemented his spot next to Nathan Fillion and Michael Rooker to appear in all future James Gunn movies and I am eager to see his next wholly original project.

I want you to know you aren't alone on this. This has been a sour chapter of the MCU. My brother is ready to completely give up on the MCU over this mess.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany

I want you to know you aren't alone on this. This has been a sour chapter of the MCU. My brother is ready to completely give up on the MCU over this mess.

Yep, you guys are not alone in this. I have mentioned this before, but I'm pretty sure I won't support Disney with my money again if this all goes to hell.

And I still believe they will notice this. Not me specifically, but there was genuine excitement for new Marvel movies and they were mostly surrounded by positivity. A part of the base won't be there anymore for the important positive word of mouth.
Not that the situation will be as dire as with Solo, but I can believe that they will notice a dent because the fans that used to transport the hype and positivity of the MCU to the masses will be either silent, gone or just not that excited anymore.
I know I won't go and that will not only influence me, but also some friends that wouldn't visit comic book movies by themselves. They accompanied me in the past after I drew their interest in the movies though.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah good luck finding anyone wanting to step in I mean when the cast and crew are pissed this has happened to Gunn I would not wanna be the new guy sitting in the director chair.
Yeah, definitely. The go to response for this is usually "pick a Director the star gets on well with, everyone else will fall in line" like Antman after Edgar Wright left. But it's near impossible to do that with an ensemble piece like GOTG because there isn't really a single lead.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, definitely. The go to response for this is usually "pick a Director the star gets on well with, everyone else will fall in line" like Antman after Edgar Wright left. But it's near impossible to do that with an ensemble piece like GOTG because there isn't really a single lead.
It's a tight spot.
Who does Bautista want to direct? Gunn.
Who does Pratt want to direct? Gunn.
Who does Karen Gillan want to direct? Gunn.
Who does Bradley Cooper want to direct? Gunn.
Who does Saldana want to direct? Gunn.
Who does Vin Diesel want to direct? Gunn.
Who does Michael Rooker want to direct? Gunn.

The WHOLE CAST wants their director back.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
It's a tight spot.

They are still professionals - in the end, they will find someone who wants a shot at an 600-800m dollar box office hit with a good script should they keep Gunns.

Especially if they keep Gunn's script. They'll want to at least honour Gunn's version of their characters by acting out his written vision of the trilogy.
After that, who knows who's even coming out of the movie alive and is also willing to work another contract for Disney.

Finding a director should not be that big of a problem once they really want one.

It's not gonna be Taika - I would take a bet on that.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
Okay, let's not get crazy. It's Chris Pratt. He's the Star. He's the Lead.

The only competition in terms of star power is Vin Diesel, and he plays a CGI tree with a three word vocabulary.

If they find someone Pratt is happy with, everyone else is extremely replaceable. The more makeup/CGI the more replaceable you are.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017

The only competition in terms of star power is Vin Diesel, and he plays a CGI tree with a three word vocabulary.

If they find someone Pratt is happy with, everyone else is extremely replaceable. The more makeup/CGI the more replaceable you are.
I think you mean Rocket. The true main character.

doinkies

Jun 20, 2018
It's a tight spot.

And probably even more important than that (at least to Disney anyway), Feige wants him back, too. They are probably waiting for things to die down in the press/fandom before announcing if he is rehired or not; if another week passes with no announcement of a replacement or any shortlist of replacement directors that might be a good sign...

Last edited:

Imran

Oct 24, 2017

Replacing the entire cast except Chris Pratt over James Gunn is extremely bad optics and even Feige, Gunn, and Pratt himself know this.

element252

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Seems like people are fine with pedo jokes now.

I think its more about the fact, that people realize that individuals can change over the course of time. Should we all be condemned for things we said 7 or 9 or 12 or 15 years ago? Because I made some truly bad decisions as a teenager and as a 20 year old adult, that I regret deeply. But I grew up and matured, and changed as my life experiences grew.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
I don't know why Disney is dragging their damn feet on this.
Their biggest fear is having the words "Disney" and "rehires" and "pedophile" in the same headline. Probably even just "Disney" and "pedophile/ia" in any context whatsoever.

It's not right and it's not accurate, but it's absolutely going to be a headline that would propagate through a not-insignificant amount of internet. Even the actual, respectable news sites would have to mash those words together at the top of their page in some combination to summarize this story, and that's the last thing Disney wants. It's still easier and safer to cut ties and wait the news cycle out than to provide an avenue for the attack to potentitally escalate.

"This movement against James Gunn was artificially engineered by the architects of Gamergate (subsection A) and Pizzagate (subsection B) in a deliberate attempt to destroy outspoken critics of president Trump (subsection C)" doesn't compete with "DISNEY REHIRES PEDOPHILE" in our news/media environment.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Their biggest fear is having the words "Disney" and "rehires" and "pedophile" in the same headline. Probably even just "Disney" and "pedophile/ia" in any context.

It's not right and it's not accurate, but it's absolutely going to be a headline that would propagate through a not-insignificant amount of internet. Even the actual, respectable news sites would have to mash those words together at the top of their page in some combination to summarize this story, and that's the last thing Disney wants. It's still easier and safer to cut ties and wait the news cycle out than to provide an avenue for the attack to potentitally escalate.

"This movement against James Gunn was artificially engineered by the architects of Gamergate (subsection A) and Pizzagate (subsection B) in a deliberate attempt to destroy outspoken critics of president Trump (subsection C)" doesn't compete with "DISNEY REHIRES PEDOPHILE" in our news/media environment.

Disney has absolutely no sympathy from me for how they've bungled every single aspect of this.

element252

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Their biggest fear is having the words "Disney" and "rehires" and "pedophile" in the same headline. Probably even just "Disney" and "pedophile/ia" in any context whatsoever.

Disney dug their own hole with this, by firing him. They could have came out and defended Gunn against these allegations, by acknowledging they already knew about them, but learned Gunn had changed and grown as an individual. And that fact came out in their working relationship with him.

Then it would have been easier to throw salt, on the alt-right internet trolls who started this, because Gunn said bad things about their emperor with no clothes.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
Disney has absolutely no sympathy from me for how they've bungled every single aspect of this.
Disney dug their own hole with this, by firing him. They could have came out and defended Gunn against these allegations, by acknowledging they already knew about them, but learned Gunn had changed and grown as an individual. And that fact came out in their working relationship with him.

Then it would have been easier to throw salt, on the alt-right internet trolls who started this, because Gunn said bad things about their emperor with no clothes.

Sure, but that's the bet they're making -- that people like you (and me, if that wasn't clear) are outnumbered by the people who find their continued relationship with James Gunn unacceptable. Or, at least, that the prospective rehiring headline would do more harm than good.

They don't want your sympathy, or if it comes down to it, even your money. They think the money's on the other side, and there's nothing to prove them wrong, until they get proven wrong.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like people are fine with pedo jokes now.
Just like with every other topic, it depends on the joke. No subject is taboo, but with sensitive/gross topics like paedophilia one just needs to be a lot more careful than with less loaded topics not to make jokes that mock/laugh at victims and such.

FireFistAce

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I think its more about the fact, that people realize that individuals can change over the course of time. Should we all be condemned for things we said 7 or 9 or 12 or 15 years ago? Because I made some truly bad decisions as a teenager and as a 20 year old adult, that I regret deeply. But I grew up and matured, and changed as my life experiences grew.

Yeah, people can change. Though he was an adult in his 40s back then, which is different from teenager.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
It's not necessarily a hold up. It's possible that they are waiting for this to die down a bit so they can reinstate him. I know that we have trades confirmation that Feige and Marvel Studios have his back, so let's hope that soon cooler - and not stupid - heads will prevail. Honestly though, fuck Alan Horn and Bob Iger. Kevin Feige's reign as Disney's CEO can't come soon enough.

Crackhead_Bob

Banned
Nov 1, 2017

True. So couldn't they simply point out the acting parties involved in this? It's almost like the terms gamergate and pizzagate have become memes in name only but without any of the discernible subtext in the minds of the media. Why hasn't there been a wide scale explanation that the purveyors of these movements don't care about the issues that they are pushing in the first place?

Crackhead_Bob

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
It's not necessarily a hold up. It's possible that they are waiting for this to die down a bit so they can reinstate him. I know that we have trades confirmation that Feige and Marvel Studios have his back, so let's hope that soon cooler - and not stupid - heads will prevail. Honestly though, fuck Alan Horn and Bob Iger. Kevin Feige's reign as Disney's CEO can't come soon enough.

If they do so, they better be ready to explain why, and that includes shedding a light on this movement in a way that's easy for the public to understand and digest.

I would use this small comparison: the uncle tom sellout. I'm sure many blacks will know what the implication of that term is, but not everyone. Why would a black person sell out their own community?

On a similar note, why would a movement claiming to advocate videogame fandom be a front for misogyny, white supremacy, and fascism? You kind of have to unpack that in order to get to the bottom of it. Same with pizzagate and all the controversy surrounding it.

No one has really addressed this... At least on the same impacting level that say... Joseph Welch did when he called Roy Cohn out during the McCarthy hearings.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

I must have missed that confirmation, d'you have a source on that?

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
I must have missed that confirmation, d'you have a source on that?

This should be on the OP and the title should be updated, but yet here we are. It'd be easier and less confusing to everyone if the mods updated the thread titles and the OP so it'd reflect the latest news, since there's an "embargo" on James Gunn threads. This is a topic that matters too much - way more than fucking superhero films - for us to not keep a close eye on.

Once again, I second Bob Chipman: