• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017
Wonder how long it'll be till we hear about a new director. Will be surprised if they actually pull the trigger on Gunn again at this point.

I still want to know if Zatt is boycotting all future Marvel films. He has remained silent on this since his original statement.

At this rate he'll be boycotting all Marvel threads.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
I also think Zatt's ban was mischaracterizing his words a bit. I get that the comparison alone is rubbing people the wrong way and that his overzealous Marvel fandom makes people not want to give his intentions any credibility, but regardless of his passion for his issue being filtered through Gunn being fired, I don't disagree with the general sentiment that Gunn was a high profile warning shot for the ensuing battle over Twitter at the moment that we've seen heat up a great deal in the weeks since, whether it's over Gunn, NYT writer Sarah Jeong, or various other people that have had old posts screencapped to try to get them fired. Even the though the timing of Alex Jones/Infowars getting pulled from other platforms is more coincidental in timing, Twitter's defense of him has only fed into the idea that while they may have done very little to curb enabling dangerous people like that on Twitter and instead look sympathetic to their cause.

Many other celebrities and more visible personalities on Twitter had similarly acknowledged how significant Disney caving for a manufactured outrage campaign was and how the political element of the firing couldn't be ignored because it is right at the heart of it all, regardless if they think this event was as significant or not. At the end of the day, Gunn being fired is just one director being removed from a movie and isn't as important in the grand scheme of things as many other things, but it has been a high visibility "win" for the alt-right in the culture war being waged through social media.

Zatt's MeToo comparison really has aged poorly though given that at the time and since then, no one else has been fired in the same zero tolerence way that Gunn had, so that instance wasn't a significant cultural moment that people will look to as a tipping point of the firing sparking our worst fears of Disney or other companies following that example, but I will argue that there is a good chance with how big this story was and how the aftermath has probably made it even bigger with many more details being brought to light that shines a light on how not to handle controversy with a knee-jerk firing, the attention it got (at least in the initial week or so) was a big deal.

It certainly made me re-examine what I thought about social media outrage, the responsibility of companies role in any controversial behavior, the ways in which people manipulate the narrative to attempt some really disgusting character assassination that can take almost anyone's words out of context and have someone believe them, even heads of multibillion dollar companies. But yeah, most have moved on from the Gunn situation, regardless of the impact it had or will still have, especially since news about the situation has cooled down while Disney and Marvel still refuse to acknowledge anything beyond the firing, but I get why people like Zatt, Bautista, and others won't let it go since beyond just being a bummer if Gunn doesn't return to finish Vol. 3, it is bitter win the right was able to get, and there is still a good chance that it won't be the last company to bite the right bait because it doesn't matter how many times they are unsuccessful at taking down people, all they need is a good combination of offensive tweets and a company who can get scared enough to act.

Zatt needs to chill out a bit on the Gunn posting when he gets back though because while I don't quite agree with all his bans recently on the subject, he's gotten banned 3 times over this same thread. That definitely says something.

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
At this rate he'll be boycotting all Marvel threads.

And you just threw the stormbreaker. LOL.

I missed everything, oh well. Anyway, in regards to Vis's comment I can't say I disagree on that completely. It's great to stand up for your friend and all but if he phones it in for 3 (I mean it's Drax but whatever lol) or walks it's just going to suck for fans of GOTG, him and the character. It doesn't really "stick it" to anyone except for the audience because like a lot of people have already said, people are still going to go see MCU films regardless of everything that's happened as this is a Disney issued fuck up and not Marvel's. Disney won't and probably don't a fuck because if the money is still there then if anything they will look at it as one less difficult person to deal with. A shame really but it's the reality of the situation.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If I got banned for going too over the top in a thread twice in a row I would stay the hell away from that subject matter. He could just dial it back a few notches.

Anyway how about them Guardians of the Galaxy.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
"Insiders say Marvel president Kevin Feige was out of town and unable to attend."
"Sources added that while it was rumored that Feige was pushing to bring Gunn back, Feige stands by the studio's decision to not bring back the "Guardians" director for the third installment."

If he was really pushing to bring Gunn back, he probably could have asked if the curtosey meeting was delayed until his return, since this has already taken weeks.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
Zatt catching bans left and right. It's a shame they won't rehire him but keeping his script still means he gets paid regardless and it'll still have a touch of Gunn throughout.

It's still absolute shit that past tweets can bring you down even if you've changed, what's the point of trying to get better if you'll always be punished for it.

OnPorpoise

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Welp, much like not watching the Harmon-less season of Community, unless there is some other development, I'm not up for a Gunn-less GotG3.

Enjoy the next few years of trade/blog articles and awkward press junkets Disney.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Disney emboldening and empowering a lot of dangerous and corrupt alt-right zealots. What an absolutely revolting decision that displays extreme ignorance, irresponsibility, hypocrisy, and cowardice.

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
I just saw the article and copied it to bring it here but I was too late haha. That's that, I guess. Fuck Horn. And Feige being out of town is kind of funny to me. Maybe he already knew what the response was going to be and just wanted to dodge that awkwardness and distance himself from the whole ordeal? I'm actually having trouble believing the "he's fighting hard for Gunn" story now to be quite honest. There's something smug and shitty about re-opening a dialogue with a director who you recently terminated in a reactionary and uninformed manner (to the entire cast's and audience's displeasure) only to say "Nopes. What's done is done, you're still totes fired. Grab a goodie bag on the way out!"

I still wonder what the "compromise" was that was rumored. I figured from Pratt's recent AP statement this result would be the case. :/

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I also think Zatt's ban was mischaracterizing his words a bit.

I'm sure Zatt's intentions weren't harmful, but fighting for the rights of transgender people isn't in the same ballcourt as fighting to get a millionaire director with terrible humor back to directing your comicbook movie about space elves. It's not even on the same planet.

Again, this is getting out of hand. Making sure that minorities that are victim of what is possibly the worst discrimination in modern society aren't silenced on social media is a priority, for everybody. Getting James Gunn re-hired is not, unless your priority isn't protecting the weak from the alt-right's actions but simply not letting them ever get a win because of your own pride.

The entire alt-right thing has made people lose all perspective on the matter. Heck, as a businessman I think at this point Disney would be more justified firing Bautista than they were firing Gunn.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Alright im gonna need a link to the last Zatt ban. I've been out of the loop. Not the same as his 1 day ban for the #MeToo thing???

Would Gunn even want to work on another space opera super hero property? Keep seeing people say Green Lantern but that sounds uninspired to me.

0VERBYTE

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Alright im gonna need a link to the last Zatt ban. I've been out of the loop. Not the same as his 1 day ban for the #MeToo thing???

Would Gunn even want to work on another space opera super hero property? Keep seeing people say Green Lantern but that sounds uninspired to me.
Not to mention boring. I was gonna mention Star Wars but I don't expect Gunn to ever work for a Disney property again tho.

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
I'm going to create my own MCU film named after its titular hero Hyperbole Man (starring Zatt Murdock.) In it, Zatt travels across the world to rendezvous with disenfranchised and persecuted people but not to free them from their oppressors but rather to get them to sign his "#RehireJamesGunn" petition.

sorry Zatt, lmao.