• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Damn when you're cherry picking to make a point you just forget the most meme Marvel Movie in this forum
gotg2 is worse than thor 2 for me, awful CGI borefest for the entire last 1/3 that unlike other MCU that passes the time, was boring and bad. Went for coffee w a friend after for 2 hours and neither of us even mentioned the movie.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
Again, my point: they weren't going to destroy shit when it came to Gunn, because of who he is and the legion of liberal-identified fanboys he has to counter with. James Gunn is not some random activist who can't afford to live in a gated community with security, who doesn't have millions of people with eyes on him, and who has power and connections. Pardon me because I didn't see the point in investing my feelings into something that I knew would resolve itself in his favor.
When you pursue dogmatic punishment in the name of justice while ignoring or disregarding context, you play into the hands of those who wish to rule by might makes right. That's what the alt right was doing here. It's a power play.

HyGogg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can someone explain to me why James Gunn gets fired for old tasteless jokes, but Mark Wahlberg was literally convicted of racially-motivated assaults, including one that left a man blind in one eye, but everyone is okay with it because it's in the past.

I'm not even saying Wahlberg shouldn't be forgiven at some point, I'm sure he's not that person anymore. I just want to know what the standard is or where the cut off is.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Can someone explain to me why James Gunn gets fired for old tasteless jokes, but Mark Wahlberg was literally convicted of racially-motivated assaults, including one that left a man blind in one eye, but everyone is okay with it because it's in the past.

I'm not even saying Wahlberg shouldn't be forgiven at some point, I'm sure he's not that person. I just want to know what the standard is or where the cut off is.
Because the jokes were about kids. That's where normal people draw the line so it was easy to smear him about them.

Kite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The same reason Disney was ok with and forgave Gunn for his old homophobic and sexist blog posts but drew the line at edgy pedo twitter jokes?

Last edited:

Deleted member 2109

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I'm not even saying Wahlberg shouldn't be forgiven at some point, I'm sure he's not that person anymore. I just want to know what the standard is or where the cut off is.

I dunno.

Thanos is a wife beater and nobody cares. It's weird.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
They're obviously ok with it as long as it's buckling to racist rapist propaganda trash like Cernovich when it also shuts up an anti trump voice. That's honestly the main difference.

daft_cat

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think it's pretty clear now that Gunn isn't coming back. The story is already going away.

You wrote this mere hours after one of the biggest trades in the industry went on the record with their belief that Gunn may still return in some capacity - especially in light of the contract issues complicating his exit, and the fact that other studios are chomping at the bit.

That being said, if he is rehired, Disney won't want the move to be read as a reaction to external pressure. Instead, I imagine they'll want to let the waters settle as a result before making their final decision.

Still, whether it's announced next week, or next month, I believe the job will ultimately be Gunn's to turn down.

Last edited:

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
The only way Disney comes out of this not looking like dumb assholes more than they already do is by reinstating Gunn.

Imagine being such a reactionary dunce that you scuttle a universally celebrated and exceptionally profitable series and do the bidding of trolls who are on the side of literal fascists and Nazis at the same time. Now that's a winning move.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
I think mainly because the people running the show at WB/DC are incompetent so no matter how good Gun is it would probably end up a mess.

Wonder Woman wasn't that bad.

I think Gunn would bring something to the table that their cinematic universe really needs. Shazam already looks like it might be doing that.

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam
Head of Disney Stuido,Alan Horn thought he would get the same praise like when Channing Dungey president of ABC Entertainment fired Roseanne, he is wrong. Kevin Feige wants Gunn back too.

It would not be surprising that Marvel Studios' Kevin Feige would make one last try at rapproachment. Disney's quick guillotine contrasted dramatically to CBS's handling of the Les Moonves controversy. Though his problems are self-inflicted, Gunn was banished for an incredibly poor choice of words; Moonves continues to run CBS, pending an investigation into allegations of serious sexual harassment bordering on sexual assault. Anyone at Disney would be hard pressed to say the quick hook has benefited the Guardiansfranchise. The entire cast unanimously wants Gunn back, even as they acknowledge he was an idiot, at a time he was graduating from the Troma schlock horror factory and attempting to be some kind of satirical provocateur. Gunn remains eminently hire-able and a studio chief told me recently he's eager to give him a picture once Gunn is free of Disney.

https://deadline.com/2018/08/james-...disney-eleventh-hour-save-attempt-1202443199/

OnPorpoise

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Deadline is legit, so it's actually some good news.

As the article pointed out, Pratt is booked up with projects, he misses this window for GotG3, it could delay things further even if they rush a new script and director.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
This story is dying down and will disappear any moment now, I keep tell myself for the hundredth time in the last several weeks in a futile attempt to will it all away.

daft_cat

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017

Wahlberg isn't a prominent Trump critic, so neo-Nazis weren't trying to collect his scalp.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Good job, Alan Horn. You effectively pissed off everyone EXCEPT the Nazis.

When the only people cheering your decision are Nazis, you know you fucked up.

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
Someone on Reddit (won't post a link, nope) is posting Iger and Horn's email addresses in Gunn threads.

Those poor assistants who have to filter their email...

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
I imagine Horn isn't going to be getting much respect from Marvel as a whole after this.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
Because containing ongoing news with rapidly changing reports in one thread is a bad idea. It makes it hard to follow especially when the threads become circular arguments after 3 pages.
Man we don't need a thread every time something different happens in James Gunn story.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
Head of Disney Stuido,Alan Horn thought he would get the same praise like when Channing Dungey president of ABC Entertainment fired Roseanne, he is wrong. Kevin Feige wants Gunn back too.
Those two situations aren't the same lol. Roseanne was still saying racist stuff and she actually meant it. Gunn's tweets were clearly bad jokes and years old.

daft_cat

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm all for new article/new news, but that Deadline article didn't have anything concrete to work with

It has multiple exclusive sources claiming that Marvel and Disney are in ongoing talks regarding Gunn's future with the Guardians franchise. That's news to me. Yesterday's THR article mentioned some rumblings, but nothing involving Marvel's court in particular. It seems like there's a real clash here between the two companies, with Marvel trying to talk Disney out of their decision before Gunn's contractual exit is finalized.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Disney fucked up and acted far too rashly, as people have been saying the moment they announced they had fired Gunn.

This is interoffice politics playing out for the whole world to see.

Oct 31, 2017
I think Disney will give in given Marvel, and presumably Feige, putting some pressure on Horn and the fan support and other studios trying to leech Gunn. The question is if Gunn will want to come back, but I think he will. Disney will probably make him publicly support victims of abuse and whatnot.

why can't y'all just have ONE thread :p

New news, new thread? If I hadn't seen that thread I would have come in here to comment.

daft_cat

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think Disney will give in given Marvel, and presumably Feige, putting some pressure on Horn and the fan support and other studios trying to leech Gunn. The question is if Gunn will want to come back, but I think he will. Disney will probably make him publicly support victims of abuse and whatnot.

New news, new thread? If I hadn't seen that thread I would have come in here to comment.

I'd be willing to bet my account that he comes back. Mods can hold me to it, if they'd like.