• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
We really need some Gunn control at ERA.
53bkBlN.gif

Ebullientprism

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe him being fired isnt bad for anyone involved. I dont want him to become a GotG factory. It would be interesting to see him play with some DC stuff. Especially Suicide Squad.

VectorPrime

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
The dumbass who made the original decision undoubtably thought that there would be a day or so of anger and that it would all go away. It's hysterical how incompetent Disney is looking through all of this.

SixtyFourBlades

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
The thing is, Disney and Gunn are still in talks to formerly resolve the issue and discuss a settlement since he was under contract. This is why studios haven't approached him yet. So if Disney sees this and thinks "shit, we messed up" they could probably ask him to come back, which is in the article but left out of the OP.
In that case I hope they come to their senses and offer him a job back.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Merging threads.

Loathe as I am to have yet another James Gunn thread, this is new thread for new news. If the other threads come back, those will be locked.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe him being fired isnt bad for anyone involved. I dont want him to become a GotG factory. It would be interesting to see him play with some DC stuff. Especially Suicide Squad.

It was said after GotG3 he was going to be the one to lead the push on the cosmic side of Marvel with films like the Eternals (and now probably FF), so he definitely had other stuff in the works.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Weird to me that they think he's a sick asshole but are happy to use his script. If they really want to maintain an apparent moral highground they should probably throw out his script.

That said as a GOTG fan this is the right call for the movie creatively I guess.

They care less about the moral aspect and are more worried about their PR image.

Deleted member 11093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Whoever pulled the trigger on firing Gunn (no pun) without taking even a moment to think about what they were doing is so goddamned stupid.

They did think this through, what they expected was a pat on the back from the left and for most people to forget about it in a couple of days, what they ended up getting is a pat on the back from alt-rights and few extreme far left loonies while pissing off the left and most importantly their fans.

Oct 25, 2017
As someone fully on-board the GotGv2 emotional arc, I'm glad they'll be using his script for 3. I'm glad the relationship with Marvel is at least semi-open so they can tap him as a consultant if needed.

I don't think anyone ever really believed Disney cared on a level beyond the external PR, and if things have died down enough they feel it's safe to keep his script around and maybe not cut him totally loose, it's for the best.

Shitty situation, not the best end, not the worst.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Weird to me that they think he's a sick asshole but are happy to use his script. If they really want to maintain an apparent moral highground they should probably throw out his script.

That said as a GOTG fan this is the right call for the movie creatively I guess.

Pure PR. I'm sure Disney knew about those tweets, and I'm sure he apologized before the altright made their move. Disney just moved quickly and thought it wouldn't be a big deal.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
I can't emphasize enough how much of a coup this would be for DC. They tend to go after damaged directors, and at least Gunn still has talent.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
So could this be added to the OP as well? There's still a chance he'll direct GotG3.

Two sources say there is a hope through the talks that Gunn could return in some fashion, even if it's to develop and direct another Marvel movie. "An end-all verdict hasn't been issued and conversations with Marvel are still ongoing," says one source familiar with the proceedings.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad to hear this. I still want him back for volume 3 but it's good to know he has other opportunities lined up.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
There's no doubt in my mind that WB are eyeing him for Johns' Green Lantern Corps movie.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Gunn going to DC would be hilarious because MAGA chodes LOVE Zack Snyder.

guek

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Doubt they really care, they can get pretty much any director in the business that they want.
No, they really can't, especially not in the MCU. Directors have to be willing to work within that framework and many understandably aren't. It's a sandbox but you still have to stay inside the box.

Anywho, glad to hear they're talking about using Gunn's script. Tossing that would be such a waste. I still want to see him come back to direct too but I've lost any hope for that at this point.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
James Gunn in the DCEU, and direct an occasional episode of Legends of Tomorrow. That show is more or less the TV version of Guardians.