• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dude was born in 1966 and posted this kind of shit as of 2010? Sounds like an extremely disturbed and immature individual.

falcondoc

Oct 29, 2017
And you're batting for Snyder because you like him. Pot meet Kettle. There's literally no reason to even bring Snyder up in this thread other than people like you preferring another franchise over the one Gunn directs for. Cut it out.

Nope, I think Snyder is one of the worst main stream directors to ever work in the industry. Just making a point.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Nope, I think Snyder is one of the worst main stream directors to ever work in the industry. Just making a point.

So basically you're trolling?

Dude was born in 1966 and posted this kind of shit as of 2010? Sounds like an extremely disturbed and immature individual.

I love this mindset of "Adults can't be immature unless they're mentally disturbed" - Some of you guys are in for a rude awakening when you get older. :/

Oct 29, 2017
These tweets are old as dirt, from another era back when people were allowed to use words like rape when they are making a joke.

There is absolutely nothing mean spiritied about them, he's not bullying anyone.

Theyre dumb jokes, the only thing that I find offensive about them is how lame they are.

They were grabbed by an automated bot that is searching all old tweets for any words that are now considered offensive.

Its outrage culture 101. Anyone that finds these offensive needs to go watch Bill Maher's newest HBO comedy special.

Last edited:

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love this mindset of "Adults can't be immature unless they're mentally disturbed" - Some of you guys are in for a rude awakening when you get older. :/

When I get older? I'm 33, but even 8 years ago back in 2010, I really wouldn't think of making dumb ass jokes like that on Twitter.

There are quite a few degrees to "mentally disturbed."

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You're assuming that's the equivalence I'm making, when I am not.

My original thought experiment was, if the original actor behind dredging up these tweets had not been Cernovich, would the outrage be more or less the same?

We've seen this kind of hit job multiple times, from actors across the political spectrum. Clearly sometimes dredging up old writings produces worthy outrages, but other times it does not.

Is this incident not worthy of outrage simply from the fact that Cernovich started this? Or because the tweets themselves are rather innocuous?

Marrec, cmon, you're just trying to get people worked up via a "thought experiment". I go into topics every now and then where I too think hyperbole and a departure from sanity have taken place and try my best to debate with people I think are doing themselves more harm than good getting worked up to the levels they do. You can encourage what you think might be self-reflection via debate at times when it's appropriate. Everyone has different personal thresholds, and yeah sure, sometimes people on the left might fly off the rails. Is that the answer to your thought experiment you're looking for?

There's often a big difference between people who appear to be well-meaning, or at least think they are genuinely well-meaning when they're getting angry about say, a South Park episode (because that seems to be the go-to comparison in this topic), and the kinds of people who spread pizzagate and obviously know they are pushing paedophile accusations falsely/etc.

Just today I was trying to debate with people seemingly unable to accept the GOG apology and reasoning for something. The other week on here it was challenging people convinced a White House press statement was coded Nazi language simply because of some numbers, no doubt, 100%. So yeah, it's possible for angry campaigns/comments that might not be 100% grounded to come from different outlets. However, as I just said above, most people were angry about GOG on the basis of feeling like they were seeking justice. Not peddling paedophilia conspiracies and knowingly inserting themselves into unfounded hounding of someone.

Multiple social media "hounding" campaigns can end up being mistakes or a questionable use of human energy and time, but not every situation is 100% equal. This one has fake paedophile accusations and other nonsense like involving the FBI, which clearly gives it it's own special place in shit mountain.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
When I get older? I'm 33, but even 8 years ago back in 2010, I really wouldn't think of making dumb ass jokes like that on Twitter.

There are quite a few degrees to "mentally disturbed."

Yeah, when you get older. And I don't believe you for one second that you didn't make dumb jokes ten years ago.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Who dug this up really shouldn't matter in ones response. What matters is that this is 10 years old and that he already apologized.

Froli

Oct 25, 2017
Philippines
Wtf... this tweets. It's just fucking stupid to post stuff like that in any media, it will come back and bite you in the ass.

Well, as long he has changed for the better through the years.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
Really interesting to see the overlap between people who are downplaying this but supported the recent firing of a video game writer for her twitter comments.

Mama Rice

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
I don't give a shit who dredged this up.

It's still shitty. I'm so tired of this toxic-ass perspective and mindset from all these dudes in Hollywood. I love GOTG, I love the MCU, but I hate these gross fucking jokes and I've lost a lot of respect for James Gunn as a result. People say we knew about this forever, well I didn't.

And I've been in enough threads on people making scummy toxic humor to know a lot of people in this threads are being hypocritical as fuck. Shame on you. Stick to your convictions or get new ones.

ScarJo just barely slid under by a breathe's hair for her apology, as like PR-scanned as it was, it still mattered to me as a trans persom.

Hopefully Gunn apologizes, if he's really over that part of himself, he'll do it, instead of the bull shot deflection so many in this thread are using to defend him.

It's threads like these that make me like when people call Era a liberal echo chamber and SJW paradise. Yeah I fucking wish.

It makes me sick to think other places on the Internet put me under the same banner and mindset as the hypocritical dudes in this thread.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Marrec, cmon, you're just trying to get people worked up via a "thought experiment". I go into topics every now and then where I too think hyperbole and a departure from sanity have taken place and try my best to debate with people I think are doing themselves more harm than good getting worked up to the levels they do. You can encourage what you think might be self-reflection via debate at times when it's appropriate. Everyone has different personal thresholds, and yeah sure, sometimes people on the left might fly off the rails. Is that the answer to your thought experiment you're looking for?

There's often a big difference between people who appear to be well-meaning, or at least think they are genuinely well-meaning when they're getting angry about say, a South Park episode (because that seems to be the go-to comparison in this topic), and the kinds of people who spread pizzagate and obviously know they are pushing paedophile accusations falsely/etc.

Just today I was trying to debate with people seemingly unable to accept the GOG apology and reasoning for something. The other week on here it was challenging people convinced a White House press statement was coded Nazi language simply because of some numbers, no doubt, 100%. So yeah, it's possible for angry campaigns/comments that might not be 100% grounded to come from different outlets. However, as I just said above, most people were angry about GOG on the basis of feeling like they were seeking justice. Not peddling paedophilia conspiracies and knowingly inserting themselves into unfounded hounding of someone.

Multiple social media "hounding" campaigns can end up being mistakes or a questionable use of human energy and time, but not every situation is 100% equal. This one has fake paedophile accusations and other nonsense like involving the FBI, which clearly gives it it's own special place in shit mountain.
Agreed 100%. When you're accusing someone of paedophilia and getting FBI involved without any proof than jokes and no actions, you know the source of those accusations is on a war path without logic. This is Weird Mike we're talking about here, dude lives for conspiracies, pedophilia accusations like Pizzagate, feeling oppressed by criticism, and defending Nazis/Trump.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Youve never said dumb stuff since graduating from college? Go live a little.

People say stupid shit. As long as its not mean spirtied, its absolutely okay to say stupid shit.

I'm not going to condemn the guy and call for his head over these old tweets and blog posts, but a lot of that goes a bit beyond dumb stuff in my book. Taking the time to write it out and post on Twitter is also quite a bit different to joking around with friends while at a bar or wherever, for example

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Really interesting to see the overlap between people who are downplaying this but supported the recent firing of a video game writer for her twitter comments.

Were those ten years old too and did she apologize? I completely missed what happened there.

I don't see why it matters in whether you find the jokes offensive or not. It would be rather wonky morals if they depend on the messenger.

Not really. The jokes can be offensive, but if Nazis dig them up to utilize our "outrage" for their cause? That matters a LOT, especially from a moral standpoint.

I'm not going to condemn the guy and call for his head over these old tweets and blog posts, but a lot of that goes a bit beyond dumb stuff in my book. Taking the time to write it out and post on Twitter is also quite a bit different to joking around with friends while at a bar or wherever, for example

Positing bullshit on twitter literally takes ten seconds. Especially pisstake jokes like the ones he posted.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI

You have the ability to quote the person in this thread that you're referring to so that you can ask them to explain the difference between the two situations.

Unless by "overlap" you mean "completely different people who happen to be on the same forum?"

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Agreed 100%. When you're accusing someone of paedophilia and getting FBI involved without any proof than jokes and no actions, you know the source of those accusations is on a war path without logic. This is Weird Mike we're talking about here, dude lives for conspiracies, pedophilia accusations like Pizzagate, feeling oppressed by criticism, and defending Nazis/Trump.

Yeah Mike Cernovich is undoubtedly a huge piece of shit, with no genuine good intentions, and should not be compared to anyone well-meaning who might get dragged out as an example of "the left doing this!".

That's as offkey as marrec asking for some thought-experiment in here. It's almost as if the two situations wildly differ.

Offensive comedians still get criticised today. Look at Dave Chappelle and Ricky Gervais. Most people aren't saying Chappelle and Gervais are paedophiles or the FBI should be called on them. That elevates this situation to a whole different level.

Last edited:

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
It's still shitty. I'm so tired of this toxic-ass perspective and mindset from all these dudes in Hollywood. I love GOTG, I love the MCU, but I hate these gross fucking jokes and I've lost a lot of respect for James Gunn as a result. People say we knew about this forever, well I didn't.
So you respect the person James Gunn is in 2018 but have lost respect for him because of the person he was in 2009, the same person that he grew from to become the one he is in 2018? You don't think people change? Or maybe it doesn't matter and they have to be perfect from birth until now or else fuck 'em?

chromefrog

Nov 26, 2017
He has nothing to apologise for, the jokes are lame and annoyingly edgy but that's the worst of it. If you get offended horribly by these go watch some Frankie Boyle and report back.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
So you respect the person James Gunn is in 2018 but have lost respect for him because of the person he was in 2009, the same person that he grew from to become the one he is in 2018? You don't think people change? Or maybe it doesn't matter and they have to be perfect from birth until now or else fuck 'em?

Seriously, it's such ass backwards thinking. None of the things "uncovered" were at all surprising for the brand of humour Gunn represented with Troma. It's also baffling how hardcore an extremely sincere apology (the second one for these same fucking tweets) is being ignored.

Deleted member 21380

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Germany

Really interesting how people always come in threads and try to paint people whose opinions they don't like in a dubious light. You can just quote the specific people you mean and accuse them of whatever you want to accuse them directly.

And I've been in enough threads on people making scummy toxic humor to know a lot of people in this threads are being hypocritical as fuck. Shame on you. Stick to your convictions or get new ones.

ScarJo just barely slid under by a breathe's hair for her apology, as like PR-scanned as it was, it still mattered to me as a trans persom.

Hopefully Gunn apologizes, if he's really over that part of himself, he'll do it, instead of the bull shot deflection so many in this thread are using to defend him.

It's threads like these that make me like when people call Era a liberal echo chamber and SJW paradise. Yeah I fucking wish.

It makes me sick to think other places on the Internet put me under the same banner and mindset as the hypocritical dudes in this thread.

He already apologized years ago.

Mama Rice

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
i'm absolutely sure that James Gunn will lose no sleep over me having lost a big chunk of respect for him. Can't say the same for some people in this thread.

Like I said, I'm interested in an apology. I want to hear in his own words How he feels about his past behavior and how he has moved on from it. And I can use my own personal judgment to determine if I forgive him or not.

He is under no obligation to make this apology and I am under no obligation to accept it.

But I actually really hope he does have a sincere apology because like I said I like his work. I still hate this

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam
i'm absolutely sure that James Gunn will lose no sleep over me having lost a big chunk of respect for him. Can't say the same for some people in this thread.

Like I said, I'm interested in an apology. I want to hear in his own words How he feels about his past behavior and how he has moved on from it. And I can use my own personal judgment to determine if I forgive him or not.

He is under no obligation to make this apology and I am under no obligation to accept it.

But I actually really hope he does have a sincere apology because like I said I like his work. I still hate this

For the last time, he apologized for this years ago.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

If you're interested in an apology, then read the thread. It was posted here.

Retroactively losing respect for someone you started liking for who they are now over jokes they made in the past is silly. Especially when they've apologized several times over for the past decade now.

Oct 29, 2017
This was what liberalism used to be about...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6ulTgP6fjfA

Now its some of the people calling themselves liberals that are getting offended by every little thing.

How the hell can actual liberals go about kicking out these new, few but loud, faux liberals that get outraged about every little thing out of our party?

Jul 17, 2018

yikes, nobody says it's not shitty. But he already apologized and of course it matters who dug it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.