• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The switch library for the first half of the year may not be blockbuster but they have a library which picks up the slack. The evergreen titles sell hardware.

Maxina

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I do wonder how the Switch momentum will hold up through the first half of the year. Nintendo, again, have dropped the ball with their lineup for the first half of the year, with the biggest release being Yoshi until Super Mario Maker 2 in June. They've really got to work on fixing their schedule.
Biggest difference from 2018 is that their lineup is packed starting Summer this year. Their Q2-Q3 sales will more than make up for Q1 of the 19/20 fiscal year.

m051293

Oct 29, 2017
Pertinent to Jan 2019 software figures coming shortly (focusing on Smash).

Smash crossed 5M in the US as of yesterday.

NPD leak/estimate for US during Dec 1 - Jan 4 period was 3,592,000. So Jan 5-31 combined with all digital sales adds ~1.4M on top of that.

Hard to know how much of that is digital sales and how much is January 2019 sales.

Digital must be massive though right? >5M sell-through (retail + digital) as of Jan 31, 2019 at the latest.

20% digital share against 3,592,000 digital yields 4,490,000 for Dec 2018. That would mean >510,000 retail+digital for Jan 5 - 31, so same 80/20 split would mean >402,000 JAN 19 retail in the US with possibly a few days of tracking to go.

Pulling some old numbers from other boards (may be inaccurate or may have been adjusted by now, so take with a grain of salt), here's top 10 Jan Software from 07 - 10).

Elios83

Oct 28, 2017
Switch has done really well and this is pretty much the year for it to shine before next gen consoles arrive.
PS4 did well as well considering the fact that it's still at 299$...same price since 2016? And almost flat compared to last year. I'd like to see PS4 and Pro at 199/299$ price points later this year just to see what kind of life this console still has in it, but the system is continuing to sell too well....
Xbox is in a bad spot. Continous promotions, the Xbox One X that is about to cost less than the Pro while being more powerful...and those sales. It will be hard for Microsoft to go on with this product until late 2020....unless there are surprises and new products are launched earlier than expected and no....not the Xbox One S without the disc drive, that is only going to devalue the product even further.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I said in the next gen rumor thread, I think MS is going to go first before Sony.

Especially if sales keep looking like this. Yeah this is just one month but still...

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
Also remember we still have 2020 before next gen arrives. Imagine what January will look like for PS4/XB1 if they hit 195K/101K in 2019.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also remember we still have 2020. Imagine what January will look like for PS4/XB1 if they hit 195K/101K in 2019.

2020 is going to be a disaster

You are also going to start seeing "consoles are doomed" articles as early as this year. I fully expect PS4 and Xbox One down 8 or 10 months of the year

ccieag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Vail, CO
Switch's March and April will be driven by third party this year - and it should do pretty damned well considering that FFIX is the #1 game on eShop. Sill have FFVII, FFX, and FFXII in the pipeline from SE. Dragon's Dogma, and other games will release in the Spring

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017

You are also going to start seeing "consoles are doomed" articles as early as this year. I fully expect PS4 and Xbox One down 8 or 10 months of the year

Maybe things won't get so bad if we get some next gen talk .
Unlike last gen i would hope consoles doomed talk won't be as bad still there is streaming so maybe they will used that lol

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly though

The PS4 numbers are VERY solid this late in the generation while not having a price drop for a long time. It's down YoY but not by much. The fact they are able to keep this level of interest this late in the cycle while not decreasing price / revenue is fantastic

Xbox on the other hand. That's a major Yikes

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy
Well, numbers come out faster than i thought. Good month! Very good January for Switch, better than i expected, and strong hold for PS4.

XB1 is horrible lol

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Has Xbox One started to lag behind Xbox 360 launch aligned yet?

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018

All things considered, 2019 is looking to already be a disaster for Xbox One. 2020 is going to have it resting in a coffin most the year at this rate.

Let me keep echoing this, we are starting to see just how much selling power difference there is between the two platforms. I mean, the reason why Xbox hit about 100k is because it lacked the magical monthly price drop which makes it seem like the Xbox One sells almost as well as the PS4.

Like I said early last year, I have no clue how MS is going to ride out the rest of this gen because Xbox console sales are already looking very unhealthy in the first month of 2019. I think the PS4 will be selling stronger in January 2020 than the numbers Xbox is pulling right now.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't surprise me if PS4 takes a couple months before June. Especially April, with Days Gone.

Once June rolls around though....woo boy

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017

Seeing recent articles, I'm convinced this will happen towards the end of every gen from now on, lol.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't surprise me if PS4 takes a couple months before June. Especially April, with Days Gone.

Once June rolls around though....woo boy

Yeah back half of 2019 we are going to see some truly crazy Switch months but there is definitely a chance PS4 could take a month or 2 prior to then

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Thing that sold 100 million times at ~$250 and made record profits confirmed to be failure!"

Yep

Unfortunately people love posting clickbait. They will see Xbox / PS4 down YoY a lot of months this year and start posting consoles are doomed

Even though we are VERY late in the cycle now and PS4 in particular is holding well

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
PS4 down less than 5%, Xbox down almost 50%.

It's gonna be a loooong year/year-and-a-half for Microsoft.

Xbox is plummeting

Edit: Taking Welfares weekly numbers

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy
Smash Ultimate over 5 million in 2 months is FUCKING INSANE. This absolutely destory every other exclusives.

Super Smash Bros Brawl in all 2008 (8 months) barely sold 4.17 million, and it was #4 in the 2008 software chart.
Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U + 3DS) sold 3.3 million in 2014.

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
Honestly we are getting to a point where even the $50-$100 off promos arent doing much to move the X1.
They were $100 cheaper during December and only sold like 100k more that month while PS4 can't keep up with demand at $199.

Honestly though

The PS4 numbers are VERY solid this late in the generation while not having a price drop for a long time. It's down YoY but not by much. The fact they are able to keep this level of interest this late in the cycle while not decreasing price / revenue is fantastic

Xbox on the other hand. That's a major Yikes
They have to drop the price this year, right? Right? They'd be mad not to even if it's only slightly down yoy.

m051293

Oct 29, 2017
Smash Ultimate over 5 million in 2 months is FUCKING INSANE. This absolutely destory every other exclusive.

Super Smash Bros Brawl in all 2008 (8 months) barely sold 4.17 million, and it was #4 in the 2008 software chart.
Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U + 3DS) sold 3.3 million in 2014.

Yeah we'll have an MC Japan retail update tomorrow, - its behind NSMB Wii at retail (through the same weeks in 2010) but based on the sell-through figures Nintendo gave a few weeks back, I think its LTD was already ahead of where NSMBWii through week 7 after week 4, and that's with NSMBWii launching in November.

It is similarly outpacing NSMBWii's performance in the US as well, and its going to have DLC/support up until at least Feb 2020. And it launched in the 22nd month of the console's life-cycle, instead of the 37th. And that went on to sell >30M worldwide.

Daedardus

Oct 25, 2017
Yep

Unfortunately people love posting clickbait. They will see Xbox / PS4 down YoY a lot of months this year and start posting consoles are doomed

Even though we are VERY late in the cycle now and PS4 in particular is holding well

See, there are two possibilities (with a theoretical but hard to reach third): you either go up or you go down. And the first one never lasts.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
June will depend of the Days of Play deals. We could have another $199 PS4 with a game
Like 2 years ago ? Because last year there was no price cuts on the slim and only a mere $50 price cut on the Pro during Days of Play.

I don't think people realize how well Sony is doing since early 2018. Since last December, Switch has more deals than PS4 in US.

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
With these numbers I'm willing to bet Switch outsells Xbox One LTD by summer. It's only 9M behind and like 2017 and the S losing steam it looks like the X effect is losing steam big time.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
Like I said early last year, I have no clue how MS is going to ride out the rest of this gen because Xbox console sales are already looking very unhealthy in the first month of 2019. I think the PS4 will be selling stronger in January 2020 than the numbers Xbox is pulling right now

Doesn't this mean they will look to launch next gen console ASAP...?