• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
They should put it on Game Pass.

c5f.gif

Kkosman

Jan 1, 2019
considering this January '19 4 weeks is (1/6 through 2/2) comparing to January '18 5 weeks (12/31 through 2/3)...does it make sense to just divide by the number of weeks to get a comparable figure? January '19 loses a meaningful post holiday week...I would think that week is pretty strong...not sure if anyone has an opinion on this calendar shift stuff...

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
Looking at Japan and US Nintendo's revised 17m hardware target looks like it was very, very conservative.
Depends how much of the holiday shipment remains in the channels to sell. If they overshipped then 17m figure could remain wise, though I suspect they end up closer to 17.5-18m for the FY.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't look like we have solid numbers for January 2018 after looking through that thread. It seems like the systems were all grouped pretty closely and Switch was ~280k in 5 weeks of sale, so it is up yoy even with the typical 4 weeks of sale this January.

Deleted member 46922

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 21, 2018
I'm so bad at this game. Since I'm not American I think I can defend myself, but the first time I overpredicted everything, and now I underpredicted everything except for Xbox. :)

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Switch numbers are great. Ps4 too. Sony can easily cut the price $50 if they lose more momentum to last year and that will help counter it. Xbox is just shocking. They need a late gen ps3 style redemption to regain momentum but it just ain't happening.
They should put it on Game Pass.
Because it's fun!

January 2012

360: 270K
PS3: 195K
WII: 152K
Holy shit MS have so much less momentum at the tail end of this gen compared to last. Sony hold the aces heading towards next gen and could potentially extend their lead with the ps5.

Toni

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Orlando, Florida
Holy shit at that stellar PS4 performance.

It had no Price cuts or promotions or game releases in january. Expected it to be much lower than that.

February should be much better for PS4 with tax refund season and Days Gone.

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
so 3% YoY in less time? Is this the effect of Mario Bros WiiU Deluxe?

It's the effect of Mario Party in October, Pokèmon in November, Smash in December and Mario in January. 12 months ago Switch had nothing in January and November, only Xenoblade 2 in December. The last big seller was Odyssey in October.

I think Smash played a big part, but the other titles helped too.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
Great for Switch and PS4. Going to be rough year for XBO.

Holt shit at that stellar PS4 performance.

It had no Price cuts or promotions or game releases in january. Expected it to be much lower than that.

February should be much better for them with tax refund season and Days Gone.

I mean January had KH III and RE2. Two big releases and KH III also had limited Pro edition bundle.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thought it was Benji the Nintendo fanboy this week??

Depends who I say something nice about

"Hey Switch did great!" - Nintendo fanboy
"Hey this Playstation game broke a record!" - PS4 fanboy
"Hey I really like Game Pass and think it's a good thing for the industry" - Xbox fanboy

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Holt shit at that stellar PS4 performance.

February should be much better for them with tax refund season and Days Gone.

It had KH III and RE 2 actually, but yeah, I don't think these games means much for hardware sales this late in their lifecycles. Unless they were responsible for PS4 not be down YoY.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
Man SalesEra was indeed very quiet this month, heh. Very strong performance for Switch but I am a little bit worried that it might lose a bit of steam in February considering there is not much going on software wise. Maybe Smash + NSMBUDX will keep the momentum alive till the end of March.

Xevross

Oct 28, 2017
Very good for Switch and PS4, higher than expected for both. I guess xb1 was expected to be low but not that low. Yeesh.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Crazy to think PS4 is $299 in it's 6th year .
I mean who saw that coming .
Going to be interesting going into to next gen since the price allow Sony some options .

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

"Hey I really like Game Pass and think it's a good thing for the industry" - Xbox fanboy
Sounds like something a sony/nintendo/microsoft fanboy would say tbh. I'm on to you.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
considering this January '19 4 weeks is (1/6 through 2/2) comparing to January '18 5 weeks (12/31 through 2/3)...does it make sense to just divide by the number of weeks to get a comparable figure? January '19 loses a meaningful post holiday week...I would think that week is pretty strong...not sure if anyone has an opinion on this calendar shift stuff...
2018 is like every January except it had its 5th week which was a February week. 2019 keeps that same setup so this is actually the most favorable January of the generation besides 2018.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo maintaining that strong momentum from the holidays. It feels like it could be a massive year for Nintendonin terms of both hardware and software with their release schedule. Especially if there are revisions or a price drop.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

You're a gaming fanboy.

"How dare you!" -gamers

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
Holy shit MS have so much less momentum at the tail end of this gen compared to last. Sony hold the aces heading towards next gen and could potentially extend their lead with the ps5.
Next gen is literally anyone's game. Sony can very easily lose whatever lead they hold.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
Compared to january 2018 by week average:

Switch is up 29%
PS4 is down 4%
XB1 is down 47%

Last edited:

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
It had KH III and RE 2 actually, but yeah, I don't think these games means much for hardware sales this late in their lifecycles. Unless they were responsible for PS4 not be down YoY.

I think with the Pro/X out there, these big releases have a larger impact on hardware than we might normally expect for late gen consoles. As we saw with a lot of the big releases last year, people are pretty inclined to upgrade from a base model and software like GoW & Spiderman were big drivers for that.

Kkosman

Jan 1, 2019
2018 is like every January except it had its 5th week which was a February week. 2019 keeps that same setup so this is actually the most favorable January of the generation besides 2018.

thanks...just seemed like, last year in January you had that juicy week of 12/31 to 1/6 (imagine strong with gift cards) while this January you get 1/6 to 1/12 which seems a bit worse...