• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 28, 2017
Politicians lie. Bernie is no exception. You don't know, so your belief that it has to have been her who lied is baseless.

Well she has a history of being truth flexible at best and Bernie has video evidence of him supporting women running for office since 1987 including it being well documented that he tried to get Warren to run instead of himself in 2016.

So I don't think she HAS to have been the one who lied...but I would literally wager any amount of money on it.

Septy

Prophet of Truth
Nov 29, 2017
United States
Because they didn't want to share the story at that point in time to the press for various obvious reasons. Not telling the press at that point doesn't negate the actual timeline of events or when she told people about what Sanders said.
What obvious reasons? This was before Bernie announced his campaign. Wouldn't it have been better to sink his campaign just as it started? What about after his heart attack when his campaign was at an all time low? But instead it got released 3 weeks before Iowa when her campaign is at the lowest from her high.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
I believe Sanders told Warren that he doesn't think a women can win against Trump.

No reason to really think Warren, after telling multiple people of the dinner in question the night of it happening, would just be lying about it and making the entire situation up.
But even Warren hasnt Claimed that Bernie said anything that specific.

I'd also like to ask whether you think Warren's history with lying about things like her heritage has any bearing on the possibility that she is lying in this case.

Velg

Jan 6, 2018
I really don't think Bernie is stupid enough to say that but even then, it is a non issue. There are bigger things on the table. no one will be taking about this in a week.

pigeon

Oct 25, 2017
But even Warren hasnt Claimed that Bernie said anything that specific.

I'd also like to ask whether you think Warren's history with lying about things like her heritage has any bearing on the possibility that she is lying in this case.

what makes you think Warren was lying about her heritage, lying requires knowledge of falsehood

loquaciousJenny

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Honest question, let's assume he did say it, is he wrong??

Because I remember a lot of people, myself included, discussing the ways in which America's still unresolved misogyny leaves female candidates like Hillary at a severe disadvantage. Trump yells and attacks and it shows strength, a woman like a Hillary yells and she is framed as shrill and emotional. if Hillary doesn't smile she is unapproachable and cold, Trump is simply showing seriousness. Kavanaugh throws a hissy fit and cries and it shows his honesty, whilehis victim would dare to do the same and she would be disqualified from legitimacy.

I don't know if Bernie said it or not, I think the context I understand Bernie to exist in in terms of backing Warren in 2015 and his appearances on Thin Hartmann suggest its more implausible than not, but from a strategic calculus in an electoral system going through the states we do, it's not exactly an incorrect posture to have.
Let's be clear, the issue isn't that Bernie said the country is sexist and electing a woman is difficult, the issue is Warren already knows that and she doesn't need anybody else telling her, and then this dude is calling her a liar to cover his ass.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What obvious reasons? This was before Bernie announced his campaign. Wouldn't it have been better to sink his campaign just as it started? What about after his heart attack when his campaign was at an all time low? But instead it got released 3 weeks before Iowa when her campaign is at the lowest from her high.

Because

1) It hurt Warren on a personal level
2) No reason to shit on a friend at that point in time
3) Save ammo for when you need it, if you want to unload it

You're naive to think this would "sink" a campaign. It's a distraction, but a timed one either by plan or by accident.

Warren is pissed he said it and is probably pissed he's still denying it. So be it.

Oct 27, 2017
I believe Sanders told Warren that he doesn't think a women can win against Trump.

No reason to really think Warren, after telling multiple people of the dinner in question the night of it happening, would just be lying about it and making the entire situation up.

Well, he basically outright denies it and doesn't give any type of insight on the misunderstanding. So I guess we'll have to just go with what we have!
How can he give insight into the misunderstanding if it's a misunderstanding? If they're both confused then neither of them should be capable of providing that insight. It's possible they're both stressed and talking past each other.

Nola

Oct 29, 2017
Let's be clear, the issue isn't that Bernie said the country is sexist and electing a woman is difficult, the issue is Warren already knows that and she doesn't need anybody else telling her, and then this dude is calling her a liar to cover his ass.
We don't know the truth, and we don't know the context either.

You are simply taking your presumptions and making them fact.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Best questions of the night;

CNN: Bernie, you claim you didn't say a woman can't be president.
Bernie: That is correct, I would never say that.
CNN: Warren, what did you think when Bernie said a woman can't be president?

:roll eyes: Show that bias CNN

medinaria

Oct 30, 2017
I don't see why this is "mask off." Warren does do worse in head to heads and lots of Americans routinely say in surveys that they don't think women would do a good job as president. Do you think these statements are true and meaningful?

also, it is worth considering that this has been one of the largest narratives advanced by the clinton campaign in the wake of 2016

like, their post-mortem was basically "the poor whites like racism and don't like women"

when even the most successful female presidential candidate of all time is saying "america might not be willing to elect a woman", I don't see how it's somehow SHOCKING EVIDENCE for someone to say "america might not be willing to elect a woman"

the mask has been removed, and underneath it, we've found... a very unfortunate viewpoint that might be extremely representative of america! what a shitty scooby doo episode, man

GiantBreadbug

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
damn but I guess we all have that one friend like Liz who tries to throw you under a bus by lying and then just comically falls in front of the bus themselves

Chuck

Oct 25, 2017

Well, he basically outright denies it and doesn't give any type of insight on the misunderstanding. So I guess we'll have to just go with what we have!
Are you completely unaware of the fact that Warren is known for overly embellishing stories about herself?

GiantBreadbug

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You know one clear way to demonstrate that you believe a left-wing populist can and should be president? Drop the fuck out and stop embarrassing yourself while you still have some dregs of respect from anybody at all.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I still think Bernie probably told her that sexism might keep a woman from winning, which some of the anonymous sources have claimed, but since Bernie is so assertive that he didn't say anything at all, I'm starting to wonder if he just legitimately remembers the conversation differently than she does.

Sad to see their friendship seems to have taken a blow.

Oct 26, 2017
So like, it could have just been the convo went:

Warren: Well, I'm thinking of running of president.
Bernie: That's going to be very hard, a lot of sexist voters out there.

And Warren felt this answer was like telling an obese person at a steak restaurant how BMI is correlated with heart disease.

You know, technically correct but kind of an asshole move in the context.

Or there could have been 1000 other versions of the convo since we weren't there.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You know one clear way to demonstrate that you believe a left-wing populist can and should be president? Drop the fuck out and stop embarrassing yourself while you still have some dregs of respect from anybody at all.

Yea! She needs to drop out, it's Sanders time to shine baby!

And also admit you're a filthy liar who tried to dismantle the image of Dear Leader on his path to glorious victory.

loquaciousJenny

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
We don't know the truth, and we don't know the context either.

You are simply taking your presumptions and making them fact.
I know Bernie has a tendency to lie until he absolutely cannot and then come clean, I know that Bernie also has a tendency to put his foot in his mouth and say shit like "you can't expect to be elected just because you're a woman" as he joins a diverse group of women running for president who announced long before him reducing them all to identity politics.

I know these things, and I also know Warren says he said it, so I trust her over the man.

pigeon

Oct 25, 2017
You think she genuinely believed

Were Cherokee recipes? Like, come on. She just didnt think she'd get caught.

Sorry, I'm not familiar with this cookbook and I'm not really following your logic. Can you explain this story, provide verifiable sourcing, and elaborate on how you feel it proves she knowingly lied about her heritage?

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
And really, Sanders is technically a centrist
giphy.gif

GiantBreadbug

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I still think Bernie probably told her that sexism might keep a woman from winning, which some of the anonymous sources have claimed, but since Bernie is so assertive that he didn't say anything at all, I'm starting to wonder if he just legitimately remembers the conversation differently than she does.

Sad to see their friendship seems to have taken a blow.

I'm guessing that he mentioned it so offhandedly that he thinks that conceding any ground to her on this cartoonishly shit smearjob is below him

Which is correct