• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
In my ideal world, they can add a second day of taping and do the hour for TNT and have the rest as a house show (so they can get some of the younger/less experienced wrestlers they have plans for like Jungle Boy, Britt Baker or Private Party more ring-time without having to book them out to indies or exposing them on TV) and kill AEW Dark (do 1 dark match pre-show to warm the Dynamite crowd up, and maybe do a WWE-style 6 man tag after the show with top starts). Its probably hard if TNT wants that extra show live, but doing a second day on Thursday to air on Saturday probably would be great for them

The funny thing is that Thursday is actually the best day to drop this show- it's the one day a week where there doesn't appear to be any scheduled wrestling- but going 2 days in a row every week is a bad idea

Lee Morris

Oct 28, 2017
Happy for AEW that they got the extension but I'm worried that they will be over extending themselves with a second show. Hopefully it's just Dark moved onto the HBO Max. I suppose the positive side is a second day of wrestling in the week is good for the guys and gals who need extra time.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017

" Our Dave Meltzer is reporting the deal is for four years and $175 million, just under $45 million per year, and includes TNT having an option for 2024 at a significantly increased price. "

Meltzer said that, "When the new show launches, the Wednesday tapings would expand and also include matches taped for the streaming show Dark which is not going away. This means there will be four hours a week of the product, allowing more time to showcase more talent, which has been limited by the current format."

Lazybob

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

" Our Dave Meltzer is reporting the deal is for four years and $175 million, just under $45 million per year, and includes TNT having an option for 2024 at a significantly increased price. "

Meltzer said that, "When the new show launches, the Wednesday tapings would expand and also include matches taped for the streaming show Dark which is not going away. This means there will be four hours a week of the product, allowing more time to showcase more talent, which has been limited by the current format."
Ok another 1 hour show in addition to Dark us fine. 4 hour tapings are long but WWE does that shit already.

Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
In my ideal world, they can add a second day of taping and do the hour for TNT and have the rest as a house show (so they can get some of the younger/less experienced wrestlers they have plans for like Jungle Boy, Britt Baker or Private Party more ring-time without having to book them out to indies or exposing them on TV) and kill AEW Dark (do 1 dark match pre-show to warm the Dynamite crowd up, and maybe do a WWE-style 6 man tag after the show with top starts). Its probably hard if TNT wants that extra show live, but doing a second day on Thursday to air on Saturday probably would be great for them

The funny thing is that Thursday is actually the best day to drop this show- it's the one day a week where there doesn't appear to be any scheduled wrestling- but going 2 days in a row every week is a bad idea

If they go Thursday that gets sticky when Uncharted Territory comes back. My guess is Uncharted Territory would move to Tuesday in that case.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
that is fucking gigantic money for a show that started 3 god damn months ago. holy christ.

This means there will be four hours a week of the product, allowing more time to showcase more talent, which has been limited by the current format."

noooooooooooooooopeeeeeeeeeee

less is more you mark. a 2 hour weekly show is perfect, they've just done a somewhat poor job elevating certain stars... and it comes from a good place: they're trying to get as much talent over as possible, but when there's no focus you have a bunch of people kinda over, and no one REALLY over.

also they keep wasting time on creepy pervert stables every god damn week and that's unforced.

Slightconfuse

Oct 25, 2017
that is fucking gigantic money for a show that started 3 god damn months ago. holy christ.

noooooooooooooooopeeeeeeeeeee

less is more you mark. a 2 hour weekly show is perfect, they've just done a somewhat poor job elevating certain stars... and it comes from a good place: they're trying to get as much talent over as possible, but when there's no focus you have a bunch of people kinda over, and no one REALLY over.

also they keep wasting time on creepy pervert stables every god damn week and that's unforced.
Yeah dynamite is a very uneven show that they need to focus on. Adding another hour seems crazy.

greenbird

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Good deal for AEW, but I hope adding another hour doesn't end up scaling back the ability for their workers to do indie shows in the future.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I don't know if QT needs to be on TV regularly, but the one time he was on TV, he fucking killed it, so I see zero reason to be against him showing up in another tag match.

iiicon

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
AEW wrestlers absolutely need another hour every week and I think if it's something low stakes like Dark it won't necessarily overwhelm the audience.

A women's only show would be cool.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
AEW wrestlers absolutely need another hour every week and I think if it's something low stakes like Dark it won't necessarily overwhelm the audience.

A women's only show would be cool.

I hope it's something low stakes as well but that's basically telling the audience "This show is skippable" which is probably not what TNT wants.

My fear is AEW starts plucking 1 or 2 of the big matches they've been able to pack into Dynamite every week and put them on this new show to build up interest. Then we get stuck with some boring, unimportant matches on Dynamite proper.

Phoenixazure

Oct 27, 2017
My worry about a female only show is if the time slot is not a good one, then the audience will be even lower. Now if they want to do more experimental stuff such as Intergender or 6 man tags then I'm game.

Deleted member 8583

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Maybe they can hire more good wrestler and do a wrestling school now that they are in for the long haul.

Also, do people really like QTip flips?

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I hope it's something low stakes as well but that's basically telling the audience "This show is skippable" which is probably not what TNT wants.

My fear is AEW starts plucking 1 or 2 of the big matches they've been able to pack into Dynamite every week and put them on this new show to build up interest. Then we get stuck with some boring, unimportant matches on Dynamite proper.
Counterpoint, some of these multi tag matches or only finding space for OC to be a third man for Best Friends, could easily be split into multiple matches. Less three way (or more) tags. More time for the women to get singles matches, etc.

I'd like that a lot.

Oct 8, 2019

AEW has gotten a lot of good will just not being WWE, and one of the main things that caused WWE to be WWE was over extending itself putting out just absolute garbage to fill 5+ hours of wrestling content a week.

But AEW does need to go on to hire more people, bring in people full time (see if Maki Itoh is willing to move to America), and go after talent whose contract is expiring soon like Kairi. So that's good news.

My idea
Dynamite (Main Show)
New Show (secondary show but still has some major storyline and fairly big stars)
Dark (mainly to get over young talent who need practice to get better)

You cant make a low stake show because then no one is going to watch while I think Warnermedia would expect something pretty close to Dynamite for the New Show because it sounds like its going to be on another cable channel.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Boy that's a lot of TV time to fill.

If only there was some promotion out there trying to break into the USA with a ton of god tier talent that just happened to lose their American TV slot.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Or heck, maybe we can actually get Sonny Kiss matches now. There's plenty of people that aren't being used much who I'd like to see given more time.

Deleted member 8583

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Boy that's a lot of TV time to fill.

If only there was some promotion out there trying to break into the USA with a ton of god tier talent that just happened to lose their American TV slot.

Anth0ny stop. It's not going to happen this year, probably not even next. Khan is not interested on giving exposure to foreign promotions until AEW is solid to his eyes.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Counterpoint, some of these multi tag matches or only finding space for OC to be a third man for Best Friends, could easily be split into multiple matches. Less three way (or more) tags. More time for the women to get singles matches, etc.

I'd like that a lot.

I guess it's possible, but my preferred booking would be to just tease that potentially exciting stuff for NEXT WEEK'S DYNAMITE and really make every week of Dynamite feel fresh and exciting. That gets harder to do (again, not impossible, just harder) when there's another show airing that week and the "big matches" have to be split between shows. Suddenly, a matchup that was once fresh for Dynamite, was already done on the other show.

Deleted member 14377

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Or heck, maybe we can actually get Sonny Kiss matches now. There's plenty of people that aren't being used much who I'd like to see given more time.

Yeeeep. It gives more time for characters and angles that seemingly vanish on a weekly basis. Need more character work on the actual show, not everyone watches BTE. Your casual fan likes angles and stories, why are they fighting? Why do i need to pay for your PPV to see this feud blow off?

Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
a 2 hour weekly show is perfect, they've just done a somewhat poor job elevating certain stars... and it comes from a good place: they're trying to get as much talent over as possible, but when there's no focus you have a bunch of people kinda over, and no one REALLY over.

For me, what this means is that some of the essential color that has been on Road To and BTE HAS to come to television. Almost every conversation with an AEW mark which involves complaints about the product eventually winds its way back to 'Well if somebody watched BTE and Road To..." which is a big ask for the casual TV viewer. Incorporating some of this stuff into the TV product (more Road To and less BTE) will get folks over quicker even if they are currently losing matches for story reasons.

so if NJPW runs the Garden again this year it will still have the ROH stank on it?

I think we can assume that if they run the Garden again ROH is involved if it happens. At this point I am willing to upgrade ROH to 'curious and willing to put on probation' based on the urgency displayed in some of their recent decisions. Somebody at ROH finally figured out that the promotion is in trouble and is obviously trying to pivot/stay afloat. Re-upping Scurll, Bandido and Cobb are all reflective of that as is working with the NWA which has a better looking TV product than they do and NWA isn't even on television.

I don't know if QT needs to be on TV regularly, but the one time he was on TV, he fucking killed it, so I see zero reason to be against him showing up in another tag match.

QT got over on TV without promo time through enthusiasm and some kinda OK moves. He has every man quality which I THINK they expected Cutler to have but doesn't.

Maybe they can hire more good wrestler

I don't know if I want AEW's expanded TV time to mean they work with more AAA talent or not. But leaning on lucha talent and booking lucha talent strongly could distinguish them from WWE quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.