• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
I can see why I wasn't nominated for community MVP as I was excommunicated for a quarter of the year. It really puts you in the backseat.

Avengers23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What a year. Avengers23 in the early running for 2020 community MVP with the amount of work he put into this year's Carnies. Thanks again!
As long as I'm running the Carnies, I decline the nominations.

This was a good way to blow off a slow day at work.

I can see why I wasn't nominated for community MVP as I was excommunicated for a quarter of the year. It really puts you in the backseat.

I mean, someone did nominate you for Geek of the Year...

Avengers23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was completely unintentional to pick gifs for Gargano vs. Cole and Ospreay vs. Takagi that showed similar moves, but I'm please by the unintended synchronicity.

I am really pleased that I found that picture of NJPW from the Fire Pro DLC.

I really enjoyed finding that perfect gif for Seth Rollins for Geek of the Year.

My pleasure.

deli

Oct 25, 2017
I know it's NXT UK and it killed the UK scene and it's widely dunked on by the few people who pay attention to it, but how the hell did Bate/WALTER not even get a nomination? The best WWE match of 2019 by quite a bit.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I won? Neat.

Big thanks to all who voted for me! Hope whatever I did to earn that is something I keep doing. lol

Also big props to Avengers23 putting all this together.

Avengers23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
thank you for reminding me for this and for running these awards
Good shit Avengers23 :)

God damn Seth is a fuckin GEEK
I won? Neat.

Big thanks to all who voted for me! Hope whatever I did to earn that is something I keep doing. lol

My pleasure, y'all.

It says a lot that Seth Rollins didn't win by a bigger margin, to be honest.

Stall_19

Oct 27, 2017
I like how Yoshi-Hashi's mere existence got him nominated for geek of the year. Nothing notable happened but him existing was enough for the nomination

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
I won? Neat.

Friend Serene, you were always helpful and not a smarky cynic in your responses to members in this community last year. Your kindness and positive energy are much needed at times in this phoney business. You are the hero we need, but not the one we deserve.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
I hate this excuse tbh. I've been able to pick up on characters and stories from just watching. Plus there's DDT English twitter and blog which help a lot.

It is 2020. People can always feel free to play the "the content is good, it's here, we will make little to zero attempts to come to you" move, because I'm a fan of people making something that appeals to who it appeals to and doesn't shape itself for other people. Even if I wanted to watch more ethical wrestling, I can get my fill with EVE and New Japan and call it a fucking day. IF I don't pass on wrestling altogether. You are not owed my attention.

There's a reason NJPW is far and away the biggest Japanese promotion in America, and there's a reason Stardom has more Western subscribers than Japanese. I've watched several DDT and TJPW shows. I thought Peter Pan was good; that Asuka single light-tube death match is one of my favorite matches of 2019. But ultimately more often than not it feels like a chore, sifting through a largely Japanese website and a Twitter account and a fan blog.

They don't HAVE to make their content more welcoming to English speaking foreign people. But when they don't, I don't really wanna hear any complaints about how "people should be watching this".

Oct 25, 2017
It is 2020. People can always feel free to play the "the content is good, it's here, we will make little to zero attempts to come to you" move, because I'm a fan of people making something that appeals to who it appeals to and doesn't shape itself for other people. Even if I wanted to watch more ethical wrestling, I can get my fill with EVE and New Japan and call it a fucking day. IF I don't pass on wrestling altogether. You are not owed my attention.

There's a reason NJPW is far and away the biggest Japanese promotion in America, and there's a reason Stardom has more Western subscribers than Japanese. I've watched several DDT and TJPW shows. I thought Peter Pan was good; that Asuka single light-tube death match is one of my favorite matches of 2019. But ultimately more often than not it feels like a chore, sifting through a largely Japanese website and a Twitter account and a fan blog.

They don't HAVE to make their content more welcoming to English speaking foreign people. But when they don't, I don't really wanna hear any complaints about how "people should be watching this".

I think AJ, Nak and BC had a huge hand in helping with njpw. Then the omega matches

Adree

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seems that Sadie Gibbs has rebranded herself "Amazing Grace"

I'm amused she considers Shinedown country rock

Deleted member 8583

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
PART 3 OF THE 2019 CARNY AWARDS RESULTS! Part 1 is here. Part 2 is here. Again, I split the results up to avoid posting too many gifs at once.

WrassleERA Community MVP Award
WINNER:
serene_thumb.jpg

Serene: 28.8%
BritishMonsoon: 25.2%
Brian_FETO: 19.4%
Sweeney Swift: 12.2%
Violet: 7.9%
Devenir Ácrata: 6.5%

Friend Serene's gimmick of optimism held true through a dark 2019. Thank you all for making this such an entertaining community, you bunch of marks and smart marks who don't know they're still marks.

Going by the 6.5% that voted for me I can extrapolate that that is how much people here watch lucha. Hope this year more people join as long as AAA keeps the quality.

A big shame Big Mami vs Lady Maravilla was not nominated for "angle of the year." It started as a fantastic silly story that ended in a brutal bet match and had an amazing post match celebration. One of the few times a lucha story actually ends right.

Thanks for all the hard work Avengers23 !

Oct 25, 2017
You know what else helps? English commentary. Promos translated in English on YouTube. It's SO fucking easy to follow, the only reason you wouldn't is you just don't like the promotion.

I'm not fighting you on this, it's your preference. But iirc njpw didn't move to full time English commentary until 2017 or 2018, it was just for certain events. They even started to retroactively add some to older bigger events.

It definitely took them time to come around to making it more regular

foggy

Oct 25, 2017
Serene winning the Boogie centrist poster of the year, you hate to see it happen

Congrats!

Status
Not open for further replies.