• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Bloomberg

A strict immigration policy has helped make Japan one of the world's oldest and most homogeneous societies. Now, Prime Minister Shinzo Abe's plan to invite as many as half a million foreign workers is testing the country's tolerance for change.

Abe is preparing to introduce legislation to allow migrants to start filling vacancies next year in sectors worst hit by the country's shrinking population. While the government hasn't released a target, local media including Kyodo News have reported numbers that would represent a 40 percent increase over the 1.3 million foreign workers now living in the country.
In a sign of urgency, Abe's government has announced an April start date for the policy before debate has begun in parliament. The proposal is among the first he's seeking to tackle after winning a historic third term as head of ruling Liberal Democratic Party last month, paving the way for him to become the country's longest-ever serving prime minister.

If passed, the legislation would amount to Japan's most dramatic immigration overhaul since the 1990s, when it let "trainees" from Asian nations in the country. Foreigners made up only about about 1.7 percent of the country's population as of April, compared with 3.4 percent in South Korea and about 12 percent in Germany.
Abe got a reminder of the risks Sunday as more than 100 noisy protesters marched through Tokyo's upmarket Ginza shopping district, waving imperial army flags and urging the plan's withdrawal. Although the group was outnumbered by police and pursued by counterprotesters chanting "racists go home," they appeared keen to tap into anti-immigrant sentiments that have bubbled up elsewhere in the developed world.

The organizer calls itself Japan First, in an allusion to U.S. President Donald Trump's "America First" policies.
"Far-right parties have very little support in Japan," said Eriko Suzuki, a professor who researches migration at Kokushikan University. "But there are a lot more people, a kind of reserve army, who are vaguely concerned about admitting foreigners. If the government doesn't put together appropriate policies, that unease will increase."

The risks of inaction could be just as great, as Japan's declining population takes its toll on the economy. In a survey published by the Japan Chamber of Commerce and Industry in June, two-thirds of companies said they were short of workers. The number of companies folding because of a lack of workers jumped by 40 percent in the first half of the financial year, compared with the same period in 2017, according to Teikoku Databank Ltd.
Abe's plan, set to be introduced in the parliamentary session beginning later this month, calls for creating two classes of foreign workers to serve in about 10 as-yet-unspecified industries. Lower-skilled migrants would be allowed to stay for as long as five years and barred from bringing their families. More highly skilled workers could bring family members and stay longer -- potentially gaining permanent residence.
Mikio Okamura, the head of the Tokyo chapter of Japan First, called for the government to spend money on improving pay and conditions for Japanese citizens, rather than relying on foreigners.

"Before you let in foreigners, you should deal with Japan's unemployed. We want them to use tax money to do that," Okamura told Bloomberg News. "Then, we would have Japanese people looking after the elderly. That would be the happiest result for the Japanese and for the foreigners, as well."

Other more mainstream groups have expressed concerns, with Japan's Trade Union Confederation questioning the lack of public debate in a letter submitted to the government in August. The group, known as Rengo, has said that foreign workers shouldn't be accepted without careful consideration.
Nevertheless, their presence will hold down wages, some economists say -- working against Abe's six-year push to raise incomes and fight against deflation. The influx of labor will also hold back necessary progress in improving productivity, said Yoichi Kaneko, a former OECD economist and lawmaker, who now works for an IT firm.

"The labor shortage is a reality, but if you bring in foreigners, working conditions will not improve and the minimum wage will not rise," Kaneko said. "That may be good for companies, but for the workers it's not good at all."

The protests in Ginza the article mentioned seemed like normal nationalist trash but there were a lot of counter protesters.
Dpc3UxaUcAAgOP5.jpg

Dpc3WKdUUAEWBCu.jpg

Dpc_w32UUAAaxEU.jpg

Dpc2kWEVAAAkAHD.jpg

"eat my ass you racist fucks" is the 2018 response to "white pig go home"

e: For counter protest photos / tweets, see https://twitter.com/hashtag/1014銀座ヘイトデモを許すな

Last edited:

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
The comment about unemployment is kind of funny, considering their unemployment rate is two and a half percent.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I am cracking up at eat my ass you racist fucks

Deepthought_

Banned
May 15, 2018
Well hopefully more Asian countries will be pro immigration I would love be a permanent resident in South Korea

Thebeast!

Banned
Mar 18, 2018
User Banned (2 Weeks): Inflammatory generalizations and accumulated infractions
Japan hating foreginers what a surprise

passepied joe

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not too related to the topic at hand but anybody know why the younger people over there are almost never politically active?

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So what kind of foreigners are they wanting?

Unskilled labor, skilled, STEM etc.?

As a bonus, I can voice white guys in animes!

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
So what kind of foreigners are they wanting?

Unskilled labor, skilled, STEM etc.?

As a bonus, I can voice white guys in animes!
Well every country always wants skilled and stem stuff but this appears to be aimed at slightly lower levels.

If you're skilled enough (and you want to work here instead of somewhere else, which lots of studies show not many people actually want to do) it isn't hard to move currently.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
Not too related to the topic at hand but anybody know why the younger people over there are almost never politically active?

to be kind of generalist about it, it's a practically one-party system where the LDP basically take it every year, the major parties are considered to be fairly similar, the radical student politics of the 60s and 70s were mollified by the bubble and when everything burst nobody was around to pick up the pieces, and there really hasn't been anything that dramatically immediate and drastic to inspire change besides natural disasters and North Korea/China.

I'd also hazard a guess that their education system is pretty stifling (very entrance exam focused at least pre-uni) and I don't know if there's much in the way of political agitation at the wider general public level

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
OP could you link the tweets you grabbed the images from?

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
nah it's all good, i just couldn't find it through reverse image search. Much thanks

PanickyFool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It is really embittering when supposed progressives, humanists, turn against immigration to try and protect their own wages.

Deepthought_

Banned
May 15, 2018
Well every country always wants skilled and stem stuff but this appears to be aimed at slightly lower levels.

If you're skilled enough (and you want to work here instead of somewhere else, which lots of studies show not many people actually want to do) it isn't hard to move currently.

I'm legit am going to apply thanks for the link

Edit I think I'm getting way ahead of myself I'm hoping English is like a second language over there but I'm probably wrong

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
It's good to see that they are open to bringing in more people on something other than the bullshit
exploitative trainee visas.

However, I do worry that it will continue to make wages stagnate, which is mentioned in the article.
Wages needed to start drastically rising here like 5-10 years ago imo and delaying that any longer is just going to bite everyone in the ass.

passepied joe

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
to be kind of generalist about it, it's a practically one-party system where the LDP basically take it every year, the major parties are considered to be fairly similar, the radical student politics of the 60s and 70s were mollified by the bubble and when everything burst nobody was around to pick up the pieces, and there really hasn't been anything that dramatically immediate and drastic to inspire change besides natural disasters and North Korea/China.

I'd also hazard a guess that their education system is pretty stifling (very entrance exam focused at least pre-uni) and I don't know if there's much in the way of political agitation at the wider general public level
Ah ok, thanks.

Becks'

Dec 7, 2017
Canada
Well good luck replacing the older population. Immigration is the only solution as they tried giving incentives to people for having kids.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
white pig go home?

But pigs are delicious. Pork ramen is the best.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
It's good to see that they are open to bringing in more people on something other than the bullshit
exploitative trainee visas.

However, I do worry that it will continue to make wages stagnate, which is mentioned in the article.
Wages needed to start drastically rising here like 5-10 years ago imo and delaying that any longer is just going to bite everyone in the ass.
Hours also need to improve so people have more time to fuck after work.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
So, where/how can an I apply? I'm ready to leave my shit-hole country.

So, you want to leave one country that has people protesting against immigration for another country that has people protesting over immigration?

Maybe I'm remembering incorrectly, but doesn't Japan have a bunch of business's that have "no whites allowed" signs up? Correct me if I'm wrong pls.

Nov 3, 2017
This is one of those public policy questions where the answer is clear, but the process to get there is murky and fraught with risks.

A non-exhaustive list of stuff the government will need to do to ensure policy success:

1) obtain buy-in from relevant industry stakeholders as well as the general public

2) education reform that allows for the language barrier to be crossed - both in terms of educating Japanese people in languages like Korean and English, as well as resources for migrant workers to learn and adopt Japanese

3) Immigration law reform to facilitate longer term migration and permenant settlement

4) Cultural change to broaden the national narrative of what it means to be Japanese

Each thing is already a massive challenge, and to do it all in the timeframes they need sound really terrifying. Not to mention factoring in other issues like wage stagnation. Working in public policy in Japan at the moment sounds like it'd be a wild ride

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
I'm legit am going to apply thanks for the link

Edit I think I'm getting way ahead of myself I'm hoping English is like a second language over there but I'm probably wrong

ahahhahaha learn japanese or you'll have a bad time, especially in a customer service facing role