• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
So I've been offered a contract position with the option to go full time at the end of it (that's up to the company though). I've been talking to a few people and this seems like it's a common thing these days.

Anyone got any experience with this?

Hasemo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
So I've been offered a contract position with the option to go full time at the end of it (that's up to the company though). I've been talking to a few people and this seems like it's a common thing these days.

Anyone got any experience with this?
Yeah, it's very common. Some companies will try to keep you as a contractor for as long as they can, and from those you should bail.
Usually this is treated as a kind of a trial period. You can ask or try searching yourself/asking someone who works there, how many people are actually made full time.

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, it's very common. Some companies will try to keep you as a contractor for as long as they can, and from those you should bail.
Usually this is treated as a kind of a trial period. You can ask or try searching yourself/asking someone who works there, how many people are actually made full time.

I heard from my recruiter that the majority of the full time employees there now started out on a contract. So I guess that's a good sign. But once I get there I'll start asking around too.

Contract runs out a month before the 2nd bonus too. I guess they think they're slick lol.

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
I'm sure it varies by company, but usually contract employees aren't included in the bonus system (and have higher monthly pay compared to salaried employees as a result). I'd seek clarification about that if you're not sure. But yeah, a contract period or a 準社員 period (or both) is not uncommon. I'd suggest inquiring whether there is a fixed schedule from hire to contract (and then possibly to junnshain) to seishain. In the one case where I received an offer from a company with this sort of system, it was discussed at the interviews in general terms and then had a series of dates clearly laid out on my naitei.

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
I'm sure it varies by company, but usually contract employees aren't included in the bonus system (and have higher monthly pay compared to salaried employees as a result). I'd seek clarification about that if you're not sure. But yeah, a contract period or a 準社員 period (or both) is not uncommon. I'd suggest inquiring whether there is a fixed schedule from hire to contract (and then possibly to junnshain) to seishain. In the one case where I received an offer from a company with this sort of system, it was discussed at the interviews in general terms and then had a series of dates clearly laid out on my naitei.

So I'm 100% 契約社員 but I've been given all the benefits it seems. They cited my lack of experience being the reason and said that at the end of the contract I could be come a 正社員. But words are words I doubt they'll put anything in writing just in case I flub the job.

I'll get one bonus but as my contract runs out just before the next one I miss that. It's kinda a gamble taking this position but I figure it's a good way to get experience on my resume.

Itsuki

Oct 26, 2017
Today I was on the Oedo line and saw a man with weird clothes who was yelling and it was obvious he had some mental health problem. There was a foreigner person sleeping with headphones, he sits near her and starts touching her. She didn't wake up. He was also standing up and shouting and when he sat down, people near him went to another seat or just tried to ignore him. After that, he decides to stand in front of me and shout, I ignored him while trying not to make eye contact with him. And he left on the next station after that.
It is not my first time seeing people like this on the subway. Last March, I accidentally made eye contact with one, he sits near me and started touching me and shouting. I decided to get off at the next station but he was following me, so I went to the station office.
I know it's very rare to see people like this but are these persons from a sect or something like that? Booth of them had very similar clothes, smelled bad and they had obvious mental issues.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Don't know how much of Japan ERA is vegan but wanted to plug this place as I know the options are few and far between around here. Great Lakes burger is the only place in this entire country I've been able to find an actual American style burger (taste wise) but with better ingredients haha. Helps that the guy that runs it is Cali ex-pat. The best part is they have completely vegan options for everything including their own in house made patties that are killer. It's also the first time I've ever liked vegan cheese. Off menu they even do the fries In-n-out animal style if you ask and man was it bombastically good. Great vegan shakes as well.

TL:DR if you're lookin for a bit of American style escape while in Tokyo, hit up Great Lakes burgers. It's a secret little Cali annex.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Does anyone here have some experiences with Japanese job interviews and attitude tests as a foreigner?

I've just taken one test and did an interview the other day (at 4AM, ugh...), and while i am most certain it did not go well, i'd like to hear from someone who has a bit more insight into it. I want to mentally prepare myself for when the bad e-mail will come next week and crush me.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
Does anyone here have some experiences with Japanese job interviews and attitude tests as a foreigner?

I've just taken one test and did an interview the other day (at 4AM, ugh...), and while i am most certain it did not go well, i'd like to hear from someone who has a bit more insight into it. I want to mentally prepare myself for when the bad e-mail will come next week and crush me.
I used a recruiter called... Recruit, lol. They give you some material to "study" before your interviews, nothing too complicated, but it does help a bit because you'll be prepared for questions they will definitely ask. I had a total of 3 interviews in Japanese:

First interview - I did badly honestly :x I didn't know some specialized marketing vocabulary and I shouldn't have to, since in the job description they never mentioned it was going to be basically sales (for a tourism company). I didn't pass this interview, they just said I was not a good fit. I was quite nervous (first interview in Japanese), and my interviewers were kind of mean to be honest.

Second interview - this is the job I got, as a translator for a big, ancient Japanese company you likely know. Despite this being a big company, though, my interviewers were super nice and friendly, and this being my second interview made me feel a little bit more confident. Plus they were looking for someone with my exact language skill set (JP/SP/EN and at least a bit of FR or IT), so I got lucky to be honest.

I did take an attitude test (it's those tests were they ask you to choose between stuff like "I'm good working with people" or "I'm good a working under pressure", right?) but I didn't really care too much while answering. Not sure what to tell you about these, I don't think they matter as much as your actual interview, or any kind of work-related test (I had to take a short translating test before my interview).

Third interview - I had an interview at ArcSys! It was surreal, I was the only person in the building wearing a suit, everyone was crazy chill, and during the interview I was asked who's my main in Street Fighter, or if I play mobile games. They mostly cared about me being actually into games, and being proficient in SP/EN/JP. I "passed" to the second interview, but I had already been offered a job, and Shin Yokohama is just way too far.

I was always the only interviewee and I'm really glad, and I made sure to never say anything even slightly negative about my previous (then-current) job. Not sure what else to add, I feel like they know exactly what to expect when they look for foreigners, so don't be too nervous and it should be fine :)

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I used a recruiter called... Recruit, lol. They give you some material to "study" before your interviews, nothing too complicated, but it does help a bit because you'll be prepared for questions they will definitely ask. I had a total of 3 interviews in Japanese:

First interview - I did badly honestly :x I didn't know some specialized marketing vocabulary and I shouldn't have to, since in the job description they never mentioned it was going to be basically sales (for a tourism company). I didn't pass this interview, they just said I was not a good fit. I was quite nervous (first interview in Japanese), and my interviewers were kind of mean to be honest.

Second interview - this is the job I got, as a translator for a big, ancient Japanese company you likely know. Despite this being a big company, though, my interviewers were super nice and friendly, and this being my second interview made me feel a little bit more confident. Plus they were looking for someone with my exact language skill set (JP/SP/EN and at least a bit of FR or IT), so I got lucky to be honest.

I did take an attitude test (it's those tests were they ask you to choose between stuff like "I'm good working with people" or "I'm good a working under pressure", right?) but I didn't really care too much while answering. Not sure what to tell you about these, I don't think they matter as much as your actual interview, or any kind of work-related test (I had to take a short translating test before my interview).

Third interview - I had an interview at ArcSys! It was surreal, I was the only person in the building wearing a suit, everyone was crazy chill, and during the interview I was asked who's my main in Street Fighter, or if I play mobile games. They mostly cared about me being actually into games, and being proficient in SP/EN/JP. I "passed" to the second interview, but I had already been offered a job, and Shin Yokohama is just way too far.

I was always the only interviewee and I'm really glad, and I made sure to never say anything even slightly negative about my previous (then-current) job. Not sure what else to add, I feel like they know exactly what to expect when they look for foreigners, so don't be too nervous and it should be fine :)

I actually ended up opening a thread in the main EtcetEra board.

So yeah, the aptitude test ended up being only personality questions, were i was scared that it would hold maths and logic questions as well. At least this one was good!

I sit between your first and second experience: i think i did badly, but i still answered everything and specilized vocabulary i did not know, i either went around them or asked for a second to search on a dictionary. my interviewers weren't mean and pretty chill actually (i too was the only one suited up!). In the end i was just very nervous, i just still hold a tiny bit of hope that they were able to see beyond that / thought it was worth it :(

And yes, mine was for a japanese game developer as well lol

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Man you're lucky you didn't get math questions. They kicked my ass when I took my aptitude test. Still managed to get the job though!

The more interviews you have the better you will get and you never know maybe the one you took didn't go as bad as you thought.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017

Sounds like you had a nice interview then! I think most of us are super nervous for interviews but after we get a few under our belts it gets easier. Also seems like the ArcSys people are nice. Been thinking about trying out for a gaming company some day but dunno if I wanna mix my hobby with work and all haha. Especially since I love fighting games.

DeusOcha

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Japan
I'll be touching down in Haneda this Friday.... at 5AM lawl. Hopefully I can get some good rest in for a few hours at the airport to kill time until checkin at hotel. Also, does exchanging currency (USD to Yen) at Haneda have a daily limit like the ATMs or no? Pondering on whether to do exchange money either at LAX in the the US or at Haneda since I'll be needing to convert a couple thousand USD to Yen for apartment setup and whatnot.

Oct 30, 2017
Your Imagination
I'll be touching down in Haneda this Friday.... at 5AM lawl. Hopefully I can get some good rest in for a few hours at the airport to kill time until checkin at hotel. Also, does exchanging currency (USD to Yen) at Haneda have a daily limit like the ATMs or no? Pondering on whether to do exchange money either at LAX in the the US or at Haneda since I'll be needing to convert a couple thousand USD to Yen for apartment setup and whatnot.
Haneda's first train out is around 5:30am if I remember correctly. If you manage to find that you have time to nap, head up to the top level where the viewing deck is, there are rows of seats and soft seating areas to wedge yourself onto. I used to fly Skymark midnight flights from Kyushu to Tokyo back in the day which always arrived 00:25 after the last train for the night - that seating area was a life saver. Failing being able to sleep there, you could just find a love hotel near to your real hotel and use the bed/jacuzzi there until you can check in in the late morning - again, used to do that plenty in the Asakusa area.

Not sure on the ATM question, sorry.

Hasemo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Haneda also has rooms that you can book for quite cheap for a few hours and just sleep there. They are supposedly pretty neat, my gf used them a few times to rest before getting on the train.

DeusOcha

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Japan
Just checked ANA's website, my flight so far is just missing the cutoff line for flight delays/suspension by 2 days; they start suspending flights on 20-March.

Edit: Also, is there anyone living in Japan with a Nintendo Switch? Wondering if I can pick up Animal Crossing via the eshop a day early than the US via switching regions in system settings

Last edited:

Hasemo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Just checked ANA's website, my flight so far is just missing the cutoff line for flight delays/suspension by 2 days; they start suspending flights on 20-March.

Edit: Also, is there anyone living in Japan with a Nintendo Switch? Wondering if I can pick up Animal Crossing via the eshop a day early than the US via switching regions in system settings
Iirc the only thing that matters is which eshop you bought the game from. If you did it on the Japanese eshop, you should be able to play earlier.
Re: Switch eshop games, if you're grabbing dl versions I recommend always going with Amazon if possible over direct eshop purchases. You're saving 10% and still getting gold coins for dl versions.

Fritz

Oct 26, 2017
Hey everyone, do I remember correctly that there is a service forwarding orders placed with Japan only online retailers to locations outside of Japan? I want some Olympics merch.

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
Hey everyone, do I remember correctly that there is a service forwarding orders placed with Japan only online retailers to locations outside of Japan? I want some Olympics merch.

Better order fast :P

www3.nhk.or.jp

国際郵便物 2日から引受停止拡大 153の国と地域対象 | NHKニュース

【NHK】新型コロナウイルスの世界的な感染拡大の影響で、日本郵便は2日から新たに153の国と地域を対象に、一部またはすべての国際郵…

Fritz

Oct 26, 2017

Itsuki

Oct 26, 2017
Got a new neighbor last month and since then I can't sleep because he either snores loudly, uses the washing machine at 6 am or is on the phone very early in the morning. I have problems getting asleep and using ear plugs isn't an option because my ears hurt after an hour or so.
It is possible to complain about this to my landlord?

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Got a new neighbor last month and since then I can't sleep because he either snores loudly, uses the washing machine at 6 am or is on the phone very early in the morning. I have problems getting asleep and using ear plugs isn't an option because my ears hurt after an hour or so.
It is possible to complain about this to my landlord?

Yes it is, 100%. You don't need to go into overt details usually but just complaining about a noisy neighbor.

Seems like your living the same apartment as me lol. I got a new neighbor a few months ago and they just keep getting louder and louder. Girl talk, girl home parties, new boyfriend, drunkenly arguing with said boyfriend at all times of the morning, talking loud, occasional sexy times, and AMAZINGLY loud snoring. Made worse by them getting home late in the night meaning it last hours.

Complained to the company that owns the apartment, company I work for, and finally threatened to talk to them myself before I got like 6 emails for 4 phone calls saying they'd handle it haha. They seemed to have quieted down for the most part but I can occasionally hear them still. I actually got genuinely worried that there was something wrong the first night I could not hear their nonsense.

That or call the cops. It's what they deal with most anyway.

Hasemo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
I get that you would complain about late night parties or very noisy talking, but what are they going to do about loud snoring and early morning wake up alarm?

I'm really glad that after living in a cheap, thin walled apartment for a while, the next 2 I moved too had really thick walls. Can't hear anything, unless kids are playing with the window open.

Fritz

Oct 26, 2017
My friend used tenso (I assume the link is correct) for that and never had problems.

Just wanted to follow up with this. Shipment from tenso to Germany was super fast, like 2 to 3 days. But then the parcel got hung up at German customs. I received it like 1 to 2 weeks later and had to pay additional custom tax.

All in all smooth and not too expensive imho. I'd recommend it as a legit and save option to get orders from japan exclusive retailers shipped abroad.

DeusOcha

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Japan
Hey all, anyone familiar with over-the-counter products to deal with eczema? Having an annoying case of it to which I do have topical cream/lotion for but that just provides relief rather than actually healing it.

I am debating to visit a clinic but I'm not confident in my Japanese to actually talk/parse through staff to grab a doctor haha. I do have Google Translate I suppose.

Xavillin

Oct 25, 2017
Any receive their stimulus form yet? I got mine, but I fucked up already. I didn't know my birth year in Heisei, so I just wrote the full year.... but if I had just spend a minute longer looking at the form, I would have seen that they wrote my Heisei year for me. JEEEEEZUS I'M A FUCKING IDIOT

Also, we need an "agent" or another person to fill it out? The example I got had the wife being the other person.

guru-guru

Oct 25, 2017
Hey all, anyone familiar with over-the-counter products to deal with eczema? Having an annoying case of it to which I do have topical cream/lotion for but that just provides relief rather than actually healing it.

I am debating to visit a clinic but I'm not confident in my Japanese to actually talk/parse through staff to grab a doctor haha. I do have Google Translate I suppose.
I've gone to a bunch of Japanese dermatologists for both acne and eczema and only had good experiences. I can speak Japanese well, but honestly dude, you can just show whatever area of your body is affected by eczema, cobble a sentence in Japanese about how you're itchy or whatnot, and they'll understand right away. Might as well go to the doctor's and get good prescription meds rather than otc crap!

DeusOcha

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Japan
I've gone to a bunch of Japanese dermatologists for both acne and eczema and only had good experiences. I can speak Japanese well, but honestly dude, you can just show whatever area of your body is affected by eczema, cobble a sentence in Japanese about how you're itchy or whatnot, and they'll understand right away. Might as well go to the doctor's and get good prescription meds rather than otc crap!

I eventually got OTC stuff and will see how it works for a week or two. But if it that doesn't work I'll go over and see a clinic; I appreciate the advice! Eventually I want to actually use the healthcare system here as a bucket list type thing haha.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Anybody know or recommend Karuta cards for English speakers? Chihayafuru piqued my interest.

Yamanote Line

alt account
Banned
May 10, 2020
Then what I mean is you are legally a seishain and there is little real support for a 'probationary period' under Japanese labor law.
www.futokaiko.jp

納得できない! 試用期間の終了時、本採用されずクビになった場合の対応方法とは?

試用期間中に突然「本採用しない」と通告された…試用期間中にクビ(解雇)されたら泣き寝入りするしかないの?今回は、試用期間中にクビ(解雇)にされてしまった場合の法的な考え方や対処方法、解雇通知を受けたときに確認すべきポイントについて、弁護士が解説します。
Lots of people, Japanese and foreigners, don't seem to know or understand this but to 'not take you on' at the end of a probationary period is legally the same thing as firing any other employee who has been there for any period of time. Most people don't challenge this which is why companies get away with it, but just do keep in mind that they cannot fire you without good reason (underperforming is a good reason, but they need to have given you formal advice on what to improve etc and clear chances). Unreasonably long 'probationary periods' and using that to deny privileges outlined in the employee rules (e.g getting vacations after the probation period is up) is also illegal. Just keep this kind of thing in mind in case they try to pull something over on you and never ever sign something saying you will leave.

Of course if it turns out to be the type of company that does that kind of thing then I don't think you'd want to continue working there anyway, but e.g. you signing something saying your contract is over vs them firing you means the difference between getting unemployment benefits straight away or having to wait months.

Thank you very much for this. The contract I signed said that probation period ends in ´X´ date and now I signed a contract that says that probation period ends in ´Y´ date (August in this case). I also have the company´s hokenshou so for all intends and purposes I am a normal employee, just on probation period I guess.

On the other hand, they don´t have any leg to say that I was underperforming and even less that they were clear on giving more chances. I have the bad feeling that my vacation time will count one year after I become a zeshain or something like that. In any case I should have something lineup before August hits because I really don´t like the uncertainty of being like this, wondering if after these three months I have to keep job hunting again or not.

Also I moved this to the normal living in Japan thread to avoid the derailing hahaha

INPAQ

Oct 27, 2017
FYI, for folks who want to support the Black Lives Matter movement in Japan, there will be a peaceful March in Osaka, on June 7th, 2020 beginning at 3PM. For more info, please watch the YouTube video embedded below

DarthSpider

The Fallen
Nov 15, 2017
Hiroshima, Japan
So Disney+ finally came out in Japan and it's a piss poor shell of what it is in other territories. It's still tied to Docomo, so you need to make the same dAccount they made you make when signing up for Disney Deluxe. There's no 4K support, and it's missing tons and tons of key titles. Only 4 seasons of The Simpsons, no OG Ducktales, no Darkwing Duck, no TaleSpin, no Gummy Bears, no 90s X-Men and Spider-Man cartoons, very few of those old 80s and 90s direct to video movies. The reviews on iTunes are mostly positive because people simply don't know what they're missing out on. Also, apparently Japanese D+ is on a completely different grid than every other country. With a VPN, you can switch D+ regions with a single username and PW, just like Netflix. With Japanese Disney+, you cannot. This is really just Disney Deluxe with a couple Fox movies, some D+ original shows, and a few National Geo docs. First world problems and all, but I'm still really disappointed.

Theodran

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Disney partnering with DoCoMo for a Disney content streaming service was absolutely the worst decision ever.

I'm not subscribing until they AT LEAST release a console app.

Hasemo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Disney partnering with DoCoMo for a Disney content streaming service was absolutely the worst decision ever.

I'm not subscribing until they AT LEAST release a console app.
While I'm not a huge fan of the docomo partnership, their offering in terms of anime has been pretty amazing (danime store).
That said, the iOS app for that is terrible and there is still no proper console app, so I expect nothing regarding D+.

DarthSpider

The Fallen
Nov 15, 2017
Hiroshima, Japan
Is this partnership likely permanent? I guess the fact that there's at least some FOX stuff lends hope that more will follow once more stuff is subbed or dubbed. At the moment it really is just Disney+ in name only, and nothing like any of the other D+ services around the world.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
I just learned that people call the bigger beer cans "Tall Boys" in some places what are they called in Japan?

I always just called both, beer haha.

Arebours

Oct 27, 2017
How is everyone doing with the rain? I'm living in southern Nara and we've had constant heavy rain for the last four days, and it looks like the downpour will continue for at least another two days. The bridge connecting us to civilization has been flushed away and the mountain road on the other side of the bridge is blocked by landslides. So even when the rain clears up it's gonna be a while before things are back to normal. With our luck a massive typhoon will probably be ready to hit us then. Happy times all around. I'm praying the power and internet stays on. I don't want to spend hot summer weeks living like an animal. 2020 truly is the year that keeps on giving.

Feels like we are getting these disasters every year now. I'm kinda sick of it tbh.

Last edited:

Urfe

Oct 25, 2017
Timing and all, but I bought a house in Saitama (Urawa-ish). Been a learning experience and a half.

Itsuki

Oct 26, 2017
Sorry for the long text but I'm moving to my own appartment with soundproof walls in two weeks mainly because I can't stand both of my neighbors anymore and I'm not ok with paying x3 the rent price of an apartment because it's from one of those 外国人向け companies who take advantage of how hard is to find an apartment here.
My neighbors make noise late in night and early in the morning to the point my sleep schedule is shit and I barely sleep. One of them likes to watch anime late in the night, sometimes brings his girlfriend and friends when it is strictly forbidden to bring other people to the apartments. He also likes to put the laundry machine at 6 am ( it is forbidden to use it until 9 am). Other likes to hear everything I talk on the phone and there was a time where he decided to knock at my door and talk to me because I was complaining about the noise. Sometimes I hear him laughing at what I'm talking on the phone and this is very uncomfortable.
The 外人向け company that owns the apartment doesn't do anything, they just send mails where they tell people to make less noise. At least all this made me wanting to move asap. Took me almost 2 months to find the apartment and I'll be living in an apartment bigger and with a much cheaper rent. I will never forgive how that company told me I would never find my own apartment and that soundproof apartments in Japan doesn't exist.

AllenShrz

Nov 6, 2017
Sorry for the long text but I'm moving to my own appartment with soundproof walls in two weeks mainly because I can't stand both of my neighbors anymore and I'm not ok with paying x3 the rent price of an apartment because it's from one of those 外国人向け companies who take advantage of how hard is to find an apartment here.
My neighbors make noise late in night and early in the morning to the point my sleep schedule is shit and I barely sleep. One of them likes to watch anime late in the night, sometimes brings his girlfriend and friends when it is strictly forbidden to bring other people to the apartments. He also likes to put the laundry machine at 6 am ( it is forbidden to use it until 9 am). Other likes to hear everything I talk on the phone and there was a time where he decided to knock at my door and talk to me because I was complaining about the noise. Sometimes I hear him laughing at what I'm talking on the phone and this is very uncomfortable.
The 外人向け company that owns the apartment doesn't do anything, they just send mails where they tell people to make less noise. At least all this made me wanting to move asap. Took me almost 2 months to find the apartment and I'll be living in an apartment bigger and with a much cheaper rent. I will never forgive how that company told me I would never find my own apartment and that soundproof apartments in Japan doesn't exist.

One friend had a similar issue and he solicited the services of your friendly local yakuza to mediate and they did .... and it worked.

Who would have though that a hint of violence could have done the trick for the low price of 250k

Urfe

Oct 25, 2017
Hey, thats great! Some good house prices in that area. I'm more of a Warabi/Kawaguchi guy myself, but I suppose you have the big mall in Urawa to enjoy.

Here is an absolute killer fried chicken place, Nakatsu-style, cannot recommend it enough.

I'm renting in Toda now, which I like, but looking forward to having lots of space.

Will check out the chicken place, thanks!