• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Hasemo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
I still think this would've been much less of a problem if people didn't panic. Granted, I'm from Poland, so this much snow is nothing, but it's not like Tokyo gets snow every 10-20 years so it's mind blowing here.
Trains can go through the snow (at least this amount) without any problem, right? I feel like everything would've been fine if people just did what they always do. Sure, trains would be packed a bit more, because some people who'd normally use bicycles would ride the trains, but still.
Also, if you know there's going to be a snowfall, don't wear your summer shoes - the chances of tripping will be much lower.

sprsk

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
It took me an hour and and 45 min to get to Ikebukuro from Iruma today. Will prolly end up being 2 hours to the office all said and done.

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Anyone here moved successfully from teaching to another line of work while in country?

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Haven't done it myself but I know someone that moved from teaching into IT.

I'm currently trying to get out of it. Had a few interviews still waiting to hear back from most of them, but started to apply for different teaching jobs now too as it isn't looking too great.

Maybe I've been teaching too long now

Hasemo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
I know a whole bunch of people who started here teaching (both JET and eikaiwa) and moved to gaming/translation.

Deleted member 7156

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm currently trying to get out of it. Had a few interviews still waiting to hear back from most of them, but started to apply for different teaching jobs now too as it isn't looking too great.

Maybe I've been teaching too long now
What kind of jobs have you been interviewing for?

I know a whole bunch of people who started here teaching (both JET and eikaiwa) and moved to gaming/translation.
Out of curiosity, did they all move into translation or other type of gaming positions?

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
What kind of jobs have you been interviewing for?

Out of curiosity, did they all move into translation or other type of gaming positions?

Had a couple mainly with game companies. Also looking at translation stuff too. I'm using a recruit agent which has been getting me most of them. Looking by myself on the side and then also started applying to the usual suspects for ALT/eikaiwa.

Hasemo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
This is what I want to do, but the market sure seems cramped. Did they have much trouble getting translation work?
The easiest one to get into (especially in gaming) is translation, mostly because even if you don't have experience before coming here, if your Japanese/English is good enough, you can do some freelance translation on the side and present it during interviews as experience/put it on your CV.
Depending on the company, "translation" might be a foot in the door in a gaming company as well, not only to more general localization, but also to other positions like a designer, if you have the chops or show enough interest and passion.

Deleted member 7156

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The easiest one to get into (especially in gaming) is translation, mostly because even if you don't have experience before coming here, if your Japanese/English is good enough, you can do some freelance translation on the side and present it during interviews as experience/put it on your CV.
Depending on the company, "translation" might be a foot in the door in a gaming company as well, not only to more general localization, but also to other positions like a designer, if you have the chops or show enough interest and passion.
I see thanks for the tips.
Surprised to see people going from localisation to design.

I've been stuck in IT for a couple years and I'd like to transistion to gaming at some point, thought my Japanese is conversational at best, need to keep working on that.

Kaworu

Oct 28, 2017
I know a couple of people that moved from teaching English to standard office jobs too. It's not that far-fetched nowadays.

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
I personally moved from teaching into marketing. I did that through forcing myself to give up teaching and networking like crazy.
Switching sectors isn't impossible, but you have to be willing to take a chance and look for jobs outside of GaijinPot/recruiting sites.

Where did you go to network? A few of my Japanese friends recommend me hitting up job fairs and stuff

Oct 30, 2017
Your Imagination
Where did you go to network? A few of my Japanese friends recommend me hitting up job fairs and stuff
MeetUp, TwiPla, GaijinPot Classifieds (to search for groups) and a few others like simply pressing a few of my salaryman friends who knew people who knew people. It took about 2-3 months of searching whilst filling in the spare hours around networking with GABA shifts but in the end, it paid off.

EDIT: Regarding Job Fairs, unless you're fluent and/or from an Asian country that isn't Japan and/or a new grad it simply isn't worth your time, in my experience. I went to a bunch in my mid-20s and the majority were looking for new grads and those that were willing to hire more experienced/older people were in either undesirable sectors or were simply not paying that much (think less than 30万円 per month)

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
Hi everyone! I've always lurked in this thread, but never posted because I'm still stuck in America. I'm currently in college studying Film and minoring in Japanese, and just got some exciting news- I've been accepted into the study abroad program, and will spend my spring semester next year in Japan! Can't wait! :-D

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
Hi everyone! I've always lurked in this thread, but never posted because I'm still stuck in America. I'm currently in college studying Film and minoring in Japanese, and just got some exciting news- I've been accepted into the study abroad program, and will spend my spring semester next year in Japan! Can't wait! :-D

Awesome!! ^^

Do you know which uni or which city already?

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
Awesome!! ^^

Do you know which uni or which city already?

I can choose between either Tokyo or Nagoya, and I'd have to check on which uni in each. The Nagoya program is much a more intense study of the language while Tokyo, while still fairly intense, is more focused on taking in some of the culture and visiting different places and such. In both programs I'm also placed in an internship at a local business.
Seems I have lots of deciding to do!

Samus37

Jan 15, 2018
Sapporo, Japan
Hey ERA, I'm moving into a new apartment soon (and out of my company sponsored one) and was wondering if anyone here has experience getting Fiber-Optic Internet set up. My complex says it has a deal with JCOM and that they can do 光ファイバー, but I've heard from friends of mine that it generally takes up to two weeks to get basic internet set up at a new place. If the functionality is already in place for an apartment building can it be done much quicker?

Also any advice for moving into a new place would be appreciated. It's going to be a long couple weeks of running to secondhand stores for this and that.

Hasemo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
The weird thing with Internet here is that even if the work is done, it might still take 2 weeks to get it set up. Asking the Internet company directly might be the best way to do it, since it really is a case by case scenario.

As for moving, I strongly recommend hiring a moving crew, if you're moving within the same city it should be relatively cheap. They deliver you boxes, you pack everything you have there and don't have to worry about things like a fridge, washing machine, they're even going to set them up for you. After moving, some people like to go around their neighbors and give them small presents, but I think this custom is not as popular nowadays.

Aside from obvious things like changing the address in your bank/credit and debit cards/power/water accounts, remember that you can register on Japan Post's site to have all the mail addressed to you to your old address forwarded to you for I think 2 years. It's free and useful.
One thing that you definitely have to do is to go to your current city office and fill a form saying that your moving. After the move, you have to go to the new city office and fill out a form saying that you have moved there. It's a fairly straightforward process.

One word of advice - after you leave the apartment, the landlord will want to check it out to decide how much deposit is going to be required to cover all kind of repairs. While they can do it without you there, I've heard it's smart to be there for that estimation, since it gives you a chance to get more deposit money back. I don't know how it works with apartments provided by the company though.

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Anyone here know any good places I can get some English Comics in Tokyo like IDW's stuff apart from Kinokuniya?

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Anyone here know any good places I can get some English Comics in Tokyo like IDW's stuff apart from Kinokuniya?
Yeah, this is my department. If you wanna buy floppies monthly/weekly, there are a couple (very expensive) options, but Blister Comics in Akihabara is your best bet. They have the widest selection in Tokyo by far. They get weekly stuff shipped, and they have a large selection of trade paperback stuff. They even have back issues, like your typical comic shop in the West. Also, they do Free Comic Book Day, like the West, so make sure to go early on that day (the line is insane otherwise).

As you said, there's Kinokuniya. I thought that the one in Shinjuku towards Kabukicho was the one with the greatest selection, but if I recall correctly, they gave all their American comic stock to an associated shop on the first floor in another building. It may not be so great anymore.

The Mandarake in Shibuya with that is several floors down and seems kinda creepy—do you know the one I'm talking about? They have a decent and cheap selection of trades.

Your most fun option to look at older stuff is going to 神保町, which is just one of the most fun places in town generally. There are several bookstores with comics here. I believe the best one is called @ワンダー (アットワンダー may also come up on google maps). Their stock changes pretty regularly, and their prices are probably the most reasonable.

The sad truth in Japan is that your best option for saving money and finding what you want is going digital. If you have a tablet and the app Comixology, you can read everything at the same price (and due to sales, often times cheaper) than if you were in an English speaking nation that commonly sold comics. I highly recommend this route, because you are not going to be happy with the money you spend on imported comics, especially if you buy floppies each week.

If you absolutely must get physical, then I recommend importing through instocktrades.com. They sell most of their comics at 30-40% off. You may have to pay for international shipping, but you will still save a ton overall. The books also arrive in perfect condition, I've heard from many.

Happy hunting.

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, this is my department. If you wanna buy floppies monthly/weekly, there are a couple (very expensive) options, but Blister Comics in Akihabara is your best bet. They have the widest selection in Tokyo by far. They get weekly stuff shipped, and they have a large selection of trade paperback stuff. They even have back issues, like your typical comic shop in the West. Also, they do Free Comic Book Day, like the West, so make sure to go early on that day (the line is insane otherwise).

As you said, there's Kinokuniya. I thought that the one in Shinjuku towards Kabukicho was the one with the greatest selection, but if I recall correctly, they gave all their American comic stock to an associated shop on the first floor in another building. It may not be so great anymore.

The Mandarake in Shibuya with that is several floors down and seems kinda creepy—do you know the one I'm talking about? They have a decent and cheap selection of trades.

Your most fun option to look at older stuff is going to 神保町, which is just one of the most fun places in town generally. There are several bookstores with comics here. I believe the best one is called @ワンダー (アットワンダー may also come up on google maps). Their stock changes pretty regularly, and their prices are probably the most reasonable.

The sad truth in Japan is that your best option for saving money and finding what you want is going digital. If you have a tablet and the app Comixology, you can read everything at the same price (and due to sales, often times cheaper) than if you were in an English speaking nation that commonly sold comics. I highly recommend this route, because you are not going to be happy with the money you spend on imported comics, especially if you buy floppies each week.

If you absolutely must get physical, then I recommend importing through instocktrades.com. They sell most of their comics at 30-40% off. You may have to pay for international shipping, but you will still save a ton overall. The books also arrive in perfect condition, I've heard from many.

Happy hunting.

Thanks for all this awesome info! I've hit a few of the places you've mentioned (although not in years) I'm making a permanent move to Tokyo in the coming months so once I've settled I'll plan to go around and check all these places out. Have been going digital for some stuff but nothing beats the real thing you know?

dadjumper

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
Anyone in Tokyo know the best place to buy Neo Geo Pocket games, outside of Yahoo Auctions?
I went to Mandarake Nakano and they have some good stuff but the selection is slim, and only boxed (I actually prefer cart only :P)

Hasemo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Anyone in Tokyo know the best place to buy Neo Geo Pocket games, outside of Yahoo Auctions?
I went to Mandarake Nakano and they have some good stuff but the selection is slim, and only boxed (I actually prefer cart only :P)
Did you try Super Potato in Akihabara/Ikebukuro and the other, smaller retro game stores in the former?

Kaworu

Oct 28, 2017
It's not easy to see NGP games anymore :/. I'm always checking just in case but it's almost impossible to find anything nowadays.

Sir Guts

Use of alt account
Oct 26, 2017
I really want to learn Japanese. I also understand a bit thanks to anime

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Hi :)

I've recently got back into anime and mangas, and with all the new and awesome japanese games that came out last year, my interest in Japan has peaked. Now I'd like to know more about the history and culture of Japan, the ninja and samourai, and such.

Could you folks point me towards some good (non-fiction) books to read on those subjects? That would be awesome :)

Thanks a lot!