• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fritz

Oct 26, 2017
Hello you enviable bunch. I will be visiting Japan for the third time in May and have a question I'd rather ask here than in Japan Travel Era. I planned to do the Nakaseno trail between Magome and Tsumago. But I wonder if it's worth doing a longer stretch and plan like 3 days for it. Anybody ever been?

shanshan310

Oct 27, 2017
Hello you enviable bunch. I will be visiting Japan for the third time in May and have a question I'd rather ask here than in Japan Travel Era. I planned to do the Nakaseno trail between Magome and Tsumago. But I wonder if it's worth doing a longer stretch and plan like 3 days for it. Anybody ever been?
I have not but man that looks great. Kiso is gorgeous.
If you're really into hiking I say go for it, but there's a lot of other really lovely stuff to do in Nagano too while you're there. Or some more mountainous hikes you could do too.

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Oh hey, that's near me!

The Nakasendo is a path. It goes through a bunch of little tiny mountaintop villages and stuff, and I'm sure there's a lot of stuff to see if you like woods and rural Japan, teeny little shrines buried in the forest, that sort of thing; but Tsumago and Magome are the only parts that have any real tourist attraction to them. I've walked a stretch of it further down, between Hosokute-juku and Mitake-cho, over the course of a few hours. It was very pretty, but not terribly exciting as someone who lives in the area. For someone who hasn't been living in rural Japan it may well be more of a memorable experience, just don't expect a lot of concessions for tourists.

AZ Greg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not sure if this is frowned upon, but I'm trying to score a pair of Japanese exclusive Vans. I'm willing to pay cost, shipping, and a little something extra if someone could help me out. They seem to be pretty common. PM me if you could help, thanks!

Fritz

Oct 26, 2017
Oh hey, that's near me!

The Nakasendo is a path. It goes through a bunch of little tiny mountaintop villages and stuff, and I'm sure there's a lot of stuff to see if you like woods and rural Japan, teeny little shrines buried in the forest, that sort of thing; but Tsumago and Magome are the only parts that have any real tourist attraction to them. I've walked a stretch of it further down, between Hosokute-juku and Mitake-cho, over the course of a few hours. It was very pretty, but not terribly exciting as someone who lives in the area. For someone who hasn't been living in rural Japan it may well be more of a memorable experience, just don't expect a lot of concessions for tourists.

Thanks a lot for your inside. We might just stick to our plan and go to Takaragawa Onsen although it is a bit of a detour. We are staying for two nights in Nojiri though (AirBnB in an old farmhouse).

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Thanks a lot for your inside. We might just stick to our plan and go to Takaragawa Onsen although it is a bit of a detour. We are staying for two nights in Nojiri though (AirBnB in an old farmhouse).
Gero Onsen in Gifu would be a heck of a lot closer. There's a day pass for like 1200 yen or something that will let you visit a number of the baths in town, even if you're not staying at an inn.

dadjumper

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
Y'all ever read books in Japanese?
I've read a couple here and there and am now finally reading the copy of Kitchen by Yoshimoto Banana I bought about a year ago.
Really enjoying it! The language is a bit hard at times, but I understand the majority.
Bought Kafka on the Shore to read next.

kIdMuScLe

Oct 27, 2017
Los angeles
Hey guys so I booked a family trip for xmas and New Years week... I have a big favor to ask for someone living there. We want to get tickets for Disneyland New Years countdown party and the only way to get it is through the lottery system and you must live in Japan :-/ can someone help us out? Thanks

Gibson

Oct 29, 2017
I've read a couple here and there and am now finally reading the copy of Kitchen by Yoshimoto Banana I bought about a year ago.
Really enjoying it! The language is a bit hard at times, but I understand the majority.

My friend bought me a 東野圭吾 novel and an 長太宰 novel for Christmas but I haven't had chance to start them yet. I've read some of their stuff in English so I'm expecting the latter to be quite the challenge! Lately I've been reading the manga モンスター and really enjoying it, I love the art and the plot.

As for general updates, my visa was approved last week so I've finally set my moving date next month! My new Tokyo home will be in Mitaka in a nice leafy area a stone's throw away from 井の頭公園 and the Ghibli museum. Anyone else living in west Tokyo? My partner currently lives in Kichijoji so it was a toss up between there, Nishi Ogikubo and Mitaka. Mitaka seemed like a more quiet and relaxed area and has great train services so that swung it in the end. I'll be working in Shiodome but I don't mind the small commute ;)

dadjumper

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
My friend bought me a 東野圭吾 novel and an 長太宰 novel for Christmas but I haven't had chance to start them yet. I've read some of their stuff in English so I'm expecting the latter to be quite the challenge! Lately I've been reading the manga モンスター and really enjoying it, I love the art and the plot.

As for general updates, my visa was approved last week so I've finally set my moving date next month! My new Tokyo home will be in Mitaka in a nice leafy area a stone's throw away from 井の頭公園 and the Ghibli museum. Anyone else living in west Tokyo? My partner currently lives in Kichijoji so it was a toss up between there, Nishi Ogikubo and Mitaka. Mitaka seemed like a more quiet and relaxed area and has great train services so that swung it in the end. I'll be working in Shiodome but I don't mind the small commute ;)
Books certainly are a step up from manga, but it's a fun challenge.

I live in Asagaya, and work out in Akishima, so I'm pretty close to that! Welcome to the Chuo line

Gibson

Oct 29, 2017
Books certainly are a step up from manga, but it's a fun challenge.

I live in Asagaya, and work out in Akishima, so I'm pretty close to that! Welcome to the Chuo line

Yeah I'm excited to get stuck into them!

Cheers :)

How's the weather treatin' you? My Insta is full of 桜 already so I'm guessing it's nearly time to get shitfaced in a park?

dadjumper

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
Probably a dumb question for here, but I figure it is worth a shot. I love the ito en oi ocha green tea (https://www.amazon.com/Ito-En-Unswe...ie=UTF8&qid=1520967837&sr=8-3&keywords=ito+en), but I hate that it comes in so many plastic bottles.

Does anyone know where I can get that tea in a bag? Amazon sells a matcha/sencha blend, which I don't think is the same.
Assuming you live in Japan, you can get it at most supermarkets. My local Seiyu has em

Darksol

Oct 28, 2017
Japan
I really dislike when I go to a shrine during regular hours and there's nobody around to do my goshuin. I still enjoy the nature and the ritual, but I'd be lying if I said the junkie inside me was fine with not getting my fix.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo

I make an effort to read no less than 20 pages a day, but I mostly read light novels so it's easy. Right now I am reading 氷点 by 三浦綾子.

I really dislike when I go to a shrine during regular hours and there's nobody around to do my goshuin. I still enjoy the nature and the ritual, but I'd be lying if I said the junkie inside me was fine with not getting my fix.

I always forget to bring my 御朱印 with me but I got most of the major shrines years ago. Next on my list is Izumo Taisho.

Darksol

Oct 28, 2017
Japan
I always forget to bring my 御朱印 with me but I got most of the major shrines years ago. Next on my list is Izumo Taisho.

I like smaller, out of the way shrines normally. Most of the big ones are so crowded and the goshuin are often rushed. So often I get goshuin back where they obviously didn't press enough on the seal, etc.

dadjumper

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
Update on this. I finished reading Kitchen. It was really really good. My coworker (a fellow JET) read through it in English after seeing me read it in Japanese and that translation sure seemed rough. Looks like a lot of the style was lost.
Tried out Kafka on the Shore but after 30 pages I decided it's a little too difficult for me right now, so I moved on to 夜は短し歩けよ乙女 which I bought the other day.
Also seems challenging but I'll push through a bit longer. At least this one's not like 1000 pages.

Anyone got any other recommendations? I'd like something a bit more lighthearted than Kitchen, possibly with some romance in it

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
And on 春分の日 no less. Just last week I was leaving my jacket at home, this weather is schizo.

I like smaller, out of the way shrines normally. Most of the big ones are so crowded and the goshuin are often rushed. So often I get goshuin back where they obviously didn't press enough on the seal, etc.

Yeah, the lazy ones are a bit depressing. But I already ruined my 御朱印 when I was a novice (don't ask, its too embarrassing). =/

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
Well as a rather decent robot anime fan I 100% understand why Pacific Rim would be popular in Asia and/or Japan.
I was skeptical at first because it's still an american made movie and things like Transformers don't do anything for me which is why I didn't watch the first Pacific Rim until recently (in a flight to Tokyo even to add to the irony).

But fact is Del Toro nailed what makes robot anime appealing, it has everything from the glorious age of the 90's mecha anime the G Gundam driving system, the two pilots and linked up with the robot from Evangelion/Gunbuster (Evangelion 3 did that not too long ago as well), the sense of scale attention to details and real robot physics (with some exceptions here and there mind) similar to many Gundam series (especially 08th MS Team), you even have random cliche japanese sentences being thrown here and there by one of the main characters... and it works, secret weapons out of nowhere, massive destruction and ennemies (which are blatantly called Kaijuu even) similar to Godzilla movies, a bit of Sci-Fi, very cliche nationalistic mecha (american is the hero, russian is the outdated sturdy one, China is acrobat, Australian is fast etc.)... and everything blend together rather well.

All of that was done with production values (190M$) Japan can only dream of (latest Godzilla by Anno was 15M$) stellar 3D CG assets and overall visuals while maintaining a coherent artistic direction.

It's honestly one of the best attempt I've ever seen of an american high budget media product being heavily influenced by japanese culture, Del Toro as always been known as a good writer/director (even more so recently) and Pacific Rim was his love letter to the japanese mecha anime much like Zone of the Enders was Kojima trying to replicate his love for Gundam in the videogame medium, it's not surprising that it was a middling success in America where most of the references fell flat, and made most of its reputation in Asia where the audience was more receptive in the first place.

Uprising on the other hand ehhh... let's say that Del Toro being absent, his original script being scrapped didn't bode well to begin with, all the trailers I've seen really show it, it's a sequel that try to mimick the first episode but also show that its creators fail to understand what were Del Toro's inspirations for the IP in the first place, it seems much more americanized try to be "cooler" for the sake of it, drop most of the real robot part that made Pacific Rim different from others american mech shows and even all the tracks I've heard are dissapointing when the first one had such a dope theme

It's not too bad apparently though, so I'll get to watch it eventually but I'm in no hurry to do so and rather keep my expectations in check.

Last edited:

Yohane

Oct 25, 2017
Can somebody explain me why at every hanabi there is always one fake drunk dude who pull out his penis for a few sec? It must be a cultural thing.

dee_activate

Oct 25, 2017
world
I asked in the rugby thread but just in case it is better to ask here, does anyone know where I can buy the 2019 world cup rugby ball in Tokyo? Being that rugby is not that big in Japan I'm unsure where to look. I'm currently in the Shibuya area.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Very roughly as I know it will vary by location etc - how much for a basic smartphone plan and how much for a basic home internet connection? Wondering if we can get my father in law to get a proper smartphone so we can call for free using line, and call while we are visiting Japan (data sims are easily available for us but then he can't call us normally). Thinking home internet so we could FaceTime maybe but that's a secondary thing
He currently has a flip 'galapagos phone' or something ancient

Hasemo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Internet is about ~5k iirc, but there is a high chance of having to pay a set up fee of 20k, which is going to be included in your monthly payments for a while.
As for phones, using one of the cheap carriers which are now all the rage is about 3-4k per month, regular ones around 9-11k, depending on your plan.

Numbers might be a bit off, haven't changed my contracts in a while.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
You also have the option of getting a data-only mobile plan for as low as ~1K a month.

He's about 80 so would want basic calls etc - just that having a few apps and data (which we could set up for him) would mean international calls both ways would be free and make it easier for us to stay in touch when we are here too.

Kaworu

Oct 28, 2017
You can get a basic phone plus data plan for about 1400+taxes nowadays. Iijmio, uq mobile and the likes are probably the best options available right now.

Dingens

Circumventing ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Dear Lady and Gentlemen of our illustrious Line group!
Seems like today's smartphone firmware re-installing fried my Line backup, and getting access to my account apparently now requires either a facebook account or a phone number, and since I don't have the former and wont give them the latter... I'm sad to say that I probably won't be able to get back into our fine group :( (unless they remove their authentication bullshit or I can find some other solution ofc).

I wonder if there's some sort of web/pc client based solution...?
edit: mhm... nope. doesn't work without the smartphone app... great
anyway, fuck them and their greed for personal data!

Last edited:

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Dear Lady and Gentlemen of our illustrious Line group!
Seems like today's smartphone firmware re-installing fried my Line backup, and getting access to my account apparently now requires either a facebook account or a phone number, and since I don't have the former and wont give them the latter... I'm sad to say that I probably won't be able to get back into our fine group :( (unless they remove their authentication bullshit or I can find some other solution ofc).

I wonder if there's some sort of web/pc client based solution...?
edit: mhm... nope. doesn't work without the smartphone app... great
anyway, fuck them and their greed for personal data!
Damn, man. Make a fake Facebook.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Does anyone else use gyms here? And do you have the same experience of people playing electronic mahjong on the bikes as they go super slow?

Like, why even go if you're barely gonna work out and just watch TV or play mahjong. It infuriates me

hashtagrekt

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Are you going to the local community center gym? Never seen anyone playing games at Gold's or my firm's personal gym.