• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dingens

Circumventing ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
[...]Also Dingens, Todai has Economics faculty so I bet they have what you are looking for, and it's never a bad idea to study here. Admission is not crazy expensive and you are done in three years max.

I went through their site a few days ago. Their departments and faculties sadly weren't a good match. A few programs come close... but there are probably more fitting universities out there. Fees are mostly meaningless to me since I'd only apply if I manage to get the Monbunkagakusho (as mentioned). Therefore it will be free anyway.
Also "speed" isn't exactly what I'm looking for either. 3 years may be too little for the kind of project I have in mind... And from what I've seen, the programs at Todai aren't flexible time-wise, and you'd have to let them know the day you apply if it is going to take you longer than 3 years. In certain fields there is no way to know how long research is going to take before you even start. Working with such an inflexible time limit sounds like a pretty awful way for doing any quality work. Not sure if I'd really want to commit to that

Last edited:

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
Well JapanERA looks like my tenure here is ending soon. I'm finishing JET and am trying to find work quick by applying to many places and asking others for help.

I really don't want to go back to Vancouver since I'm already here.

Sigh.

Deleted member 7156

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well JapanERA looks like my tenure here is ending soon. I'm finishing JET and am trying to find work quick by applying to many places and asking others for help.

I really don't want to go back to Vancouver since I'm already here.

Sigh.

If you're looking for an English teaching job you'll probably be ok.

How long do you have to find a new job?

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
If you're looking for an English teaching job you'll probably be ok.

How long do you have to find a new job?

End of July/early August.

Hopefully before then, if I can get another BOE ALT job my visa is good until 2021 for that.

ALT work is not ideal but to get myself somewhere I would need something like that to support myself while I continue to look for different work.

A fellow JapanERA member directed me to apply to his work and has been helping me as much as he can, and I'm waiting for that to see if I can at least get an interview for it.

TheBryanJZX90

Nov 29, 2017
So Hideki Saijo died? :(

That sucks, even though he brought the YMCA song to Japan he also had a lot of good fun songs to sing at karaoke

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Hey Japan Era :)

I thought I'd share this music video (recorded in Tokyo) by a popular Portuguese artist. Well, popular in Portugal at least lol

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
SolVanderlyn's Reddit post is expert's kryptonite.
That got a lot of traction, didn't it? Sure did backfire, too. It's not like I tried to make it seem like I didn't make any mistakes - in fact, I went out of my way to admit it.

Whoever one of my fellow JETs is swooped in and made it seem like I was twisting the story, and everyone was like OHHHHHHHHHH and it all snowballed from there. What a fucking twist, hyuck hyuck. All of a sudden everything was downvoted, no matter what I said. I bet I know who that was, too. Most people I know who've actually seen the texts say "Oh my God."

I don't know, I still think a supervisor constantly using interrobanes, saying "I'm not your mom," "I can't believe you're so bad at communicating," and "You're shallow" is inappropriate even in light of making mistakes, and is downright unprofessional, but, what do I know.

Remind me to think twice before ever posting on Reddit again outside of video games. Also, don't flair yourself if people you know who AREN'T your friends might recognize you.

I got a lot of good advice anyway. Although I'm feeling about the worst I have in a long fucking time right now. Sometimes I really, really hate this place.

Making muffins with my students and remembering how much fun we had today is about the only thing keeping me sane right now.

Last edited:

Urfe

Oct 25, 2017
I just read it all. Sounds like a major growing experience.

As you said, you got some good advice. All the best in following it.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Hey JapanEra, anybody planning a get together for E3 viewing or general jeering/cheering?

Arebours

Oct 27, 2017
I've been a occasional/moderate smoker for years and now I'm thinking about moving on to e-cigs. I would actually rather do snus, but the options I've found here are limited and expensive. Anyway I started doing some research and it turns out that e-liquid with nicotine is illegal here in Japan. So the only option is to import/buy from abroad online retailers. Since I'm completely new to all this, I have no idea of what to buy and where to buy it from - so I was hoping someone in here could point me in the right direction :)

Deleted member 26837

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I've been a occasional/moderate smoker for years and now I'm thinking about moving on to e-cigs. I would actually rather do snus, but the options I've found here are limited and expensive. Anyway I started doing some research and it turns out that e-liquid with nicotine is illegal here in Japan. So the only option is to import/buy from abroad online retailers. Since I'm completely new to all this, I have no idea of what to buy and where to buy it from - so I was hoping someone in here could point me in the right direction :)

Rakuten sells some brands. Google Rakuten Snus. I buy Thunder from them. 510 for a single one. I'd recommend the frosted one with the light blue logo. The green one tastes and smells like toothpaste so definitely skip that. Rakuten is for when you can't wait a week or two for abroad orders.

My friends order from buysnus.com and you have to most likely pay the customs fee every time. Still cheaper than buying from Rakuten.

Local japanese ones are horrid. Never buy those, even in desperation.

e-cigs/vaping things are ok but do not have any nicotin in them.
I'd reccommend getting used to iQos as it's fairly nice for getting your nicotin kicks. The taste takes some getting used to but a pack later is pretty decent. Initial price of 10 000 yen is a bitch though.

Last edited:

Arebours

Oct 27, 2017
Rakuten sells some brands. Google Rakuten Snus. I buy Thunder from them. 510 for a single one. I'd recommend the frosted one with the light blue logo. The green one tastes and smells like toothpaste so definitely skip that. Rakuten is for when you can't wait a week or two for abroad orders.

My friends order from buysnus.com and you have to most likely pay the customs fee every time. Still cheaper than buying from Rakuten.

Local japanese ones are horrid. Never buy those, even in desperation.

e-cigs/vaping things are ok but do not have any nicotin in them.
I'd reccommend getting used to iQos as it's fairly nice for getting your nicotin kicks. The taste takes some getting used to but a pack later is pretty decent. Initial price of 10 000 yen is a bitch though.
thanks, but I already ended up ordering vaping gear yesterday.
I'm importing a 120 ml bottle of 100 mg/ml nicotine which should be enough for 2000 ml fluid at 6 mg/ml nicotine. I'll just add the nicotine to the zero-liquids available here, and maybe I'll start doing my own flavors down the road.

Urfe

Oct 25, 2017
thanks, but I already ended up ordering vaping gear yesterday.
I'm importing a 120 ml bottle of 100 mg/ml nicotine which should be enough for 2000 ml fluid at 6 mg/ml nicotine. I'll just add the nicotine to the zero-liquids available here, and maybe I'll start doing my own flavors down the road.

Umm.. is that legal here?

Urfe

Oct 25, 2017
Not a nerimazafaka but also on the seibu ikebukuro line! (way down towards the end...iruma)

Nice! I have a Japanese friend in Tokorozawa, which is on the way. I'm right between the Seibu Ikebukuro and Seibu Shinjuku lines, beside Shakujii Park. Feels way more inaka than where I was in Chiba, and in a good way!

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
Hey JapanERA, looks like I'll be leaving next month. None of my job applications are coming through and it's looking bleaker for me everyday. I don't know what to do at this point, sigh.

dadjumper

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
Yooo I just finished reading Penguin Highway and that book was the perfect level for me and also really good! I think that might be my favourite Japanese novel so far. Highly recommended. Thanks again, SporkWithin! Gonna try read the first Megami Tensei novel next.

Deleted member 7156

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey JapanERA, looks like I'll be leaving next month. None of my job applications are coming through and it's looking bleaker for me everyday. I don't know what to do at this point, sigh.

If you have enough money and want a little extension for your search, you could look into changing your current visa to a Tourist visa later this month. That'd give you an extra 90 days to find something.

hashtagrekt

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
is it that necessary to try and find a way to stay in a country where your only skill is speaking your native language..

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo

If you get back on a tourist visa, if you have enough money, when you start running out of time you can jump out of the country to Taiwan or Korea and come back to get it renewed. Put out even more applications though, finding a job teaching English is almost easier than finding a job at a combini, just spam everywhere. Don't limit yourself to 英会話 either, tutoring services, private schools, etc are usually looking as well.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017

Lot of the options suck but yeah, there are a ton of private and companies hiring technically. I just went through a weekend of interviews and hope to get some offers soon. Keep trying for the little time we got left. Also its not out of the question to go back for a while then return.

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Heading out to Osaka tomorrow to look at apartments. First time apartment hunting here, as my current residence was pre-arranged. It's kind of exciting, but I'm a little worried that we might have some trouble with all of the necessary 相談 - I'm foreign, have a cat, and don't have a guarantor (I have someone who I could probably get to co-sign for me, but it's a hell of an ask and so I'd rather not if possible).

Anyone out in the Kansai area? I'd love to get to know some locals.

Hasemo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Heading out to Osaka tomorrow to look at apartments. First time apartment hunting here, as my current residence was pre-arranged. It's kind of exciting, but I'm a little worried that we might have some trouble with all of the necessary 相談 - I'm foreign, have a cat, and don't have a guarantor (I have someone who I could probably get to co-sign for me, but it's a hell of an ask and so I'd rather not if possible).
Some advice regarding guarantors. From what I understand, you shouldn't really ask your friends to do it anyway, it's more of a family thing, because the burden is huge if they're actually needed.
Don't worry too much though, there probably won't be a problem with using a 保証会社 instead of a 保証人. You pay them once per year and they're arranged by the real estate agency. Also, if Osaka is anything like Tokyo, just save yourself the time and do it through a real estate agency. Yes, you have to pay them one/half of a month's rent, but you'll dodge some serious stress. Apartments online on sumo etc. are often already taken but the offers are still there, real estate agents have access to a whole other separate network of places and it's definitely better for them to contact the landlords and ask if they don't have a problem with foreigners than for you to do it yourself, no matter your language level.

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Yeah, I'm using a realtor. I found some listings I liked on Suumo and Yahoo and made some appointments for tomorrow. I probably shouldn't have tried to schedule with multiple agencies though, it sounds like? I expect I'll learn a lot about how this is all supposed to work, and how I've fucked it up in comparison, tomorrow.

At the moment I've got appointments with three agencies with a small handful of properties I asked to view at each. I've spoken on the phone and discussed the ugly details outlined above, and they seemed mostly positive, with the no-guarantor thing seeming to be a bigger "oh I see..." than any of the other stuff.

Ah well. We'll see how this goes.

Hasemo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Honestly I don't think that using multiple agencies is a problem. I did that as well, but in a more "one after the other" kind of way. For me, the biggest merit of using agencies, aside from not wasting time on out of date offers was telling them exactly what I wanted and getting updates via email once new places became available. And like I said, no-guarantor objectively shouldn't be a deal breaker - if something happens, I would honestly trust a company to take care of it more than a private person, even a family member (although to tell the truth, I have no idea how landlords think about it).
If I can give you one more piece of advice. I assume Osaka is similar to Tokyo in a way that if a really great apartment appears in a location where it's hard to find something, it might be gone in a few hours.

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Biggest problem is that I'm doing this from Gifu, so I can only really get down there on weekends and I can't afford to do so many times with the impending move. I'm hoping that one of the places we get to tomorrow works out, so I don't end up having to pull the trigger on something without having actually seen it.

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
I had an interview for another teaching job with a private school on Thursday so hopefully I can get to the second interview and get hired soon. Wish me luck guys.

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
I was just talking to a realtor about earthquakes in Kansai yesterday. Woke up and felt a shake here in Gifu shortly after and thought "well that's a twist" before checking my phone. Saw that it occurred in Osaka and I could feel the camera zoom in on my face. Surreal.

I hope everyone is doing OK!

Kizuna

Oct 27, 2017
Woke up with with my bed and everything in the room violently shaking. Kyoto, Kamigyo-ku. My first thought was "I really hope my Switch doesn't fall of the table". Luckily, nothing actually fell in the end - although it didn't bode that well from my friends in Osaka who have some cleaning up to do in their apartments now.

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
Hope you guys are doing okay in Kansai, living here in Miyagi, I know all too well about earthquakes.

Deleted member 26837

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
My friend invited me to a bar so hopefully I am ok for work tomorrow morning.

( I need to by the antenna cable for my home. Always forget)

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
I'm going to try this last week to find work and if I can't, then I'm going 100% into getting my things in order to go home.

I'm so miserable right now, ugh.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I thought all eigo senseis just lived here forever by finding a new eigo sensei job in like 1 day.

Daitokuji

Oct 27, 2017
Jobs are so easy to come by in Japan right now. They have a historically high ratio of open jobs to job seekers The problem is the salary for most will be shit. I was at the Philippine festival in Ueno last week and there were 3 booths for job agencies that were hiring anyone with a pulse.

Osaka is a great place to live as well. Go to the south part of the city, near Dobutsuen-mae station and the cost of living is super low, yet the area is 2 stations away from Namba, Dotonbori, Nippon-bashi and right on the midosuji line.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I should look for a job. Too bad living anywhere outside Tsukuba seems like a fukkn ripoff because rent here is nothing lol.

After my phd is done I'm going to open a poutine shop somewhere. Screenshot this for a discount in a year or two.

Deleted member 7156

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
World Cup games have been quite annoying to follow due to the time difference.

About to get even worse this week too, we'll be having 2 games at 11pm and 2 at 3 am.

I'm going to try this last week to find work and if I can't, then I'm going 100% into getting my things in order to go home.

I'm so miserable right now, ugh.
Have you been trying to look national wide or just within your area?

hashtagrekt

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Love when there's a japan thread in ot and all the English teachers come out with the "I live and work here so let me tell you.."

Lul.