• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 26837

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Do you guys live in Tokyo? Because usually I don't receive such direct questions. They may assume those things, but I usually get asked a more general " what do you do" and "where do you come from".

That said, I do get complemented on doing really basic things like writing my address or using chopsticks by strangers and colleagues alike.

Yup yup, that too :)
I've lived in Nara, Osaka, Yokohama and Tokyo, so everywhere it has been the same. The girlfriend questions too. But, over the years it has gone down because I get older and probably look like I do something else. Not too often though, only with new people on the streets/bars.

Oh boy are the videos from Osaka crazy. Will go there next week so will check out how the cleaning is going.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Watching the videos on the news this morning, truly terrifying.

Maybe I just don't dress the part? My office lets us dress pretty casually so I haven't worn a suit in years.

I also pretty much only go to bars with friends/coworkers so that probably greatly limits my interactions with people who would ask those kinds of questions.

I get the girlfriend question, and from friends I get the citizenship question.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
New apartment survived the typhoon. But man some of that wind was scary for a while. Was an interesting way to move into a new area though.

Wish I had more time to get settled into the area before my new job started but happy to officially not be out of work, summer was a nice time of games and drinking lol. Have no clue about the greater Nagoya area so if anyone has some suggestions lemme know.

guru-guru

Oct 25, 2017
Anybody going to TGS this year? I'll be working on the business days -- it's my first time at the event. I honestly think I'm most looking forward to their only being 30k people or so in attendance on the business days, rather than 100k plus on each of the public days. Not sure if I'll actually bother with the public days -- I hate crowds, and waiting in lines.

Hasemo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Anybody going to TGS this year? I'll be working on the business days -- it's my first time at the event. I honestly think I'm most looking forward to their only being 30k people or so in attendance on the business days, rather than 100k plus on each of the public days. Not sure if I'll actually bother with the public days -- I hate crowds, and waiting in lines.
I never went to public days, but business days are definitely neat. That said! There's still a huge line at the very, very beginning, lines for popular stuff (this year, Sekiro if I had to guess) are still an hour long.
Last year the tickets to play MHW for example ended in minutes, so while I bet it's better than Saturday/Sunday, it's no walk in the park. Except the actual walking part, there's not THAT many people.

guru-guru

Oct 25, 2017
I never went to public days, but business days are definitely neat. That said! There's still a huge line at the very, very beginning, lines for popular stuff (this year, Sekiro if I had to guess) are still an hour long.
Last year the tickets to play MHW for example ended in minutes, so while I bet it's better than Saturday/Sunday, it's no walk in the park. Except the actual walking part, there's not THAT many people.
Thanks for the heads up! Are you going this year? It looks like I'll probably have to miss out on stuff like Sekiro; I'll have a bunch of 1 hour breaks on both days, which likely won't be enough time to both get my ass in line, then actually play the game. Guess I'll stick with whatever looks a little less popular!

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
I don't think I will go this year, so far the stuff on Nirolak's list don't seem worth the trip. Have fun if you go!

Everyone in Sapporo okay?

Shun

876PRO
Oct 25, 2017
Okay and safe.

Not fun waking up at 03:00 this morning... Blackouts, no water, spotty service right now. Infrastructure here in Toyohira is fine for the most part just some cracks and cars flipping over.

Everyone's been heading to local parks for water, gas stations, and conbini to stock up throughout the morning when aftershocks finished.

Glad wife got us prepared.

DmXtQzXU0AAriQq.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Osaka
Hope y'all are all well and safe!

I don't live in Japan, so that's why I'm never in this thread, but I have family there who texted me about the quake, and I thought I'd wish you well.
It's been a crazy few weeks.

Arebours

Oct 27, 2017
I went to the town office to get an income statement(a document detailing my income in one year) for last year and when I got home I realized that the paper says 平成30年度, I know some places count the year from april to the end of march but this still seems to be a year off. I told the clerk twice that I wanted the 2017/last year income so either she was incompetent or this is somehow correct? I know I should have double checked when I was there but I didn't.

Theodran

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
I went to the town office to get an income statement(a document detailing my income in one year) for last year and when I got home I realized that the paper says 平成30年度, I know some places count the year from april to the end of march but this still seems to be a year off. I told the clerk twice that I wanted the 2017/last year income so either she was incompetent or this is somehow correct? I know I should have double checked when I was there but I didn't.

Is there any reason why you are not asking for 給与所得の源泉徴収票 from your employer/employers? If it is 納税通知書 you are asking for, it may say "30年度" but that's because it was issued for Heisei 30 but it covers your income for Heisei 29.

Arebours

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't have any employment here last year(so no income in japan).

Is there any reason why you are not asking for 給与所得の源泉徴収票 from your employer/employers? If it is 納税通知書 you are asking for, it may say "30年度" but that's because it was issued for Heisei 30 but it covers your income for Heisei 29.
This is a bit confusing to me. I want the income for 2017 but it doesn't say heisei 29 or 2017 anywhere on the document.

Last edited:

Theodran

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
So with stuff like 課税証明書 and 納税証明書, they issue them in June for the last year. So for example, the 課税証明書 based on your salaries between January 1st to December 31st of Heisei 29 would be the one issued for Heisei 30.

It's confusing but you're getting the right documents.

Arebours

Oct 27, 2017
I see. This is going to be a pain to explain to the swedish authorities that are asking for the documents. Thanks for your help! You saved me going on an useless 80 minute trip back to the yakuba :)

Last edited:

Theodran

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
I see. This is going to be a pain to explain to the swedish authorities that are asking for the documents. Thanks for your help! You saved me going on an useless 80 minute trip back to the yakuba :)

It's because they use your previous year's (H29) salaries to decide this year's (H30) taxes. Just explain that to the authorities.

kIdMuScLe

Oct 27, 2017
Los angeles
Hey guys i have a bit of an issue... I want to enter the Disney New years ticket lottery but the problem is they only deliver to a home address. would any of you people be able to help me? ill be in osaka and tokyo in christmas time. PM me if you would like to help me! thanks

Arebours

Oct 27, 2017
I wanted to watch some community but it's 4800 yen for season 1 on Amazon prime. I don't even know what to say about that crazy pricing.

Weeb

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Hey Japan Era, weeb here.

I am moving to Japan by the end of the month and I pretty much know what do I need to do but wanted to confirm it here to know if is ok.

This is the first time I will be living outside the country and is pretty daring but I think is gonna be a tough and good experience.

First some facts about me:

-27 year old Latin American

-My native language is Spanish but my English is fine I guess.

-Going with a student visa to a Japanese school in Tokyo

-CoE said is valid for a year and 3 months even if I only payed for the 6 months course.

-I have a Bachellor degree in something akin to media design.

-Have worked in video game companies here, mostly in marketing and PR.

-Got my degree apostilled for international validation but is not going to be worth much I think.

-During the first six months I plan to get a baito to sustain myself, got money and roof covered for the first 3 months.

-If I really like living there I plan to keep paying for school and extend my visa or get a full time job.

Now I have these doubts:

-I plan to just stay in Tokio for their time being, getting a suica card will cover all the local train lines?

-Which mobile operator should I use? Sakura mobile seems good, any feedback on their service? The 30$ monthly plan only gives me 2GB of data and I don't know if that will be enough for google translate and maps everyday.

-How hard is getting a baito? I don't working on whatever it need while is legal and inside the weekly 28 hours.

-Is there a good way to transfer money to outside the country?

-What's a good way to meet people other there? Tinder?

-Is hard to follow G MAPS instructions to take continuous trains?

Can't wait to meet EraJapan and thanks for reading.

Last edited:

dadjumper

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
Now I have these doubts:

-I plan to just stay in Tokio for their time being, getting a suica card will cover all the local train lines?

-Which mobile operator should I use? Sakura mobile seems good, any feedback on their service? The 30$ monthly plan only gives me 2GB of data and I don't know if that will be enough for google translate and maps everyday.

-How hard is getting a baito? I don't working on whatever it need while is legal and inside the weekly 28 hours.

-Is there a good way to transfer money to outside the country?

-What's a good way to meet people other there? Tinder?

-Is hard to follow G MAPS instructions to take continuous trains?

Can't wait to meet EraJapan and thanks for reading.

-Yes, Suica will get you anywhere.
-Go for an MVNO imo. I use Bic Sim, it's like 3000 yen for like 6gb, which is more than I need.
-No idea, depends on your Japanese level. Also hey just call it a 'part-time job.'
-Transferwise is well liked, as is GoRemit.
-Idk talk to your coworkers or other students. How do you meet people in general
-No, google maps will get you anywhere, as will Yahoo Norikae.

Marvo Pandoras

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA

I'm going on a public day, Sunday.

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
I used OCN for 1.500y a month a phone number and 3GB with 4G network, it was more than enough and only bothersome when my home wifi died for a couple days.
Transferwise is really nice as said above.
Suica, or Passmo, is indeed what you need.
Part-time job is also a good way to meet people, don' t stress the 28h too much, I don't think it's ever checked by anyone.
To commute you can also use hyperdia which is super useful
Don't forget to subscribe for social welfare when you register at your local ward.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
I use SoftBank, but it is probably more than you want to pay. I pay about 8500¥ for my phone and gigabit fiber.

If you read Japanese I recommend NAVITIME for maps and train schedules.

Fiscio: social welfare? Are you taking about 国民健康保険? Or something else?

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
My pseudonym ;_;
Yep, I'm talking about 国民健康保険, not sure what students have regarding that though, maybe there's something else (?)

Just checking, as an American I hear welfare and am programmed to think food stamps, government cheese, and obama phones. :)

Unless his/her school program has health insurance or his part time job provides insurance (both doubtful) he/she will have to enroll.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
For meeting people, as in just to hang out, yeah Tinder works. Most of the people here who use Tinder don't catch that it's for dating. Some of the ones who speak English or other languages of course know that most likely... but for some reason the average Japanese person equates it to a friend finding app, looking for teachers and what not.

Another app is called "Meetup" its for actual meeting in groups or like minded people to go hang out or what not. A few japanese friends said it was great after they moved to Tokyo and Fukuoka respectively. Something I'm going to try this weekend in Nagoya.

Anyway my girlfriend scared the heck out of me last night with this kanji "脳外科" had to look it up. Turns out she meant just a check up including an MRI, but she said surgery and so did the damn dictionary app lol.

Oct 28, 2017
United States
Yo Japan ERA! I saw the meetup post in EtcetEra and thought I should introduce myself here. I've been living in Fukuoka for about 3 years and was in Mie for a couple years before that. Also spent some time around Tokyo during my college days. Can't make it to Tokyo for this meetup, unfortunately. yoroshiku!

Hasemo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
How about those crazy new consumption tax rules for next year?
You mean the increase from 8% to 10%? Honestly, as someone from a country where VAT is currently 25% (22% most of my life), I just hope that companies raise salaries to offset the difference.
Also, that stores finally stop using the "it's going to change again someday" excuse and start putting the tax included prices on the price tags. I hate that it changed with the switch to 8% and the logic I've heard never checked out anyway - we're doing this, because we don't want to change price tags after the next tax change. What. You're changing them every few weeks/months anyway!

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
You mean the increase from 8% to 10%? Honestly, as someone from a country where VAT is currently 25% (22% most of my life), I just hope that companies raise salaries to offset the difference.
Also, that stores finally stop using the "it's going to change again someday" excuse and start putting the tax included prices on the price tags. I hate that it changed with the switch to 8% and the logic I've heard never checked out anyway - we're doing this, because we don't want to change price tags after the next tax change. What. You're changing them every few weeks/months anyway!

Not specifically the change, but all the rules with the change, like if you eat at a restaurant it will be 10 but if you get take out or delivery it is 8, etc. The labeling nonsense will persist as well with the increase.

Hasemo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Not specifically the change, but all the rules with the change, like if you eat at a restaurant it will be 10 but if you get take out or delivery it is 8, etc. The labeling nonsense will persist as well with the increase.
Oh wow, I didn't hear about that, that is kind of crazy. Although I guess most things in other countries are differently taxed based on the categories, likes books having lower tax than for example games.
Do you have any link with the details?

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris

How does that make any sense.
Is it a temporary measure or is it a long term plan for this particular example?

Hasemo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
How does that make any sense.
Is it a temporary measure or is it a long term plan for this particular example?
Didn't read the whole thing yet, but different things having different tax rates is a normal thing all over the world. While the above example might be weird to some (and I didn't find it in the blog upon a quick search), food, medicine having a lower tax than luxury goods (like... clothes, lol), is quite normal.

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
Didn't read the whole thing yet, but different things having different tax rates is a normal thing all over the world. While the above example might be weird to some (and I didn't find it in the blog upon a quick search), food, medicine having a lower tax than luxury goods (like... clothes, lol), is quite normal.

I know, but having the same product sold at different prices because of different taxes is uhhh.
But maybe there's some hidden motivation there, like they want you to order take out because this way they can reduce the restaurant's average surface? Maybe big companies want to have a bigger margin?

It also means that they won't be able to avoid stupid pricing like 648/660 instead of having one round price.

Hasemo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
I know, but having the same product sold at different prices because of different taxes is uhhh.
But maybe there's some hidden motivation there, like they want you to order take out because this way they can reduce the restaurant's average surface? Maybe big companies want to have a bigger margin?

It also means that they won't be able to avoid stupid pricing like 648/660 instead of having one round price.
I was talking about this with friends today and raised a point that many chain food places like Matsuya, Gusto etc. have two separate menus - one for take out, and one for eating inside. If the above is true as is, maybe it would make MCD etc. adapt a similar strategy. Or maybe there's more to it and we don't have a full picture. Curious to hear more details on this, but for now I'm happy that food will still have 8% tax, because that's what I spend a bunch of money on every day.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
^ pretty accurate, I fair pretty well based on the chart. Surprised eikaiwa teachers have much room to look down on kindergarten teachers, but I am sure they do.

That alarm last night was surprising. Seems to always go off when I cannot feel the earthquake but remains silent when I can.

Arebours

Oct 27, 2017
has anyone here managed to connect their amazon prime account to get twitch prime. It just keeps redirecting me back to the get twitch prime page, even though my amazon account is linked per my twitch settings. I spoke with live support on chat but they were as clueless as I am.

Hasemo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
has anyone here managed to connect their amazon prime account to get twitch prime. It just keeps redirecting me back to the get twitch prime page, even though my amazon account is linked per my twitch settings. I spoke with live support on chat but they were as clueless as I am.
I remember having a problem with linking my account, after talking to both Twitch and Amazon support, these are the instructions I got, worked both for me and my friend, who was also unable to link his account:
お客様にはお手数をおかけすることとなり申し訳ございませんが、下記の手順で再度ご登録をお試しくださいますようお願いいたします。

1. Twitchにアクセスし、「設定」から「リンク」をクリックします。

https://www.twitch.tv/

2. 「Amazon」の項目がございましたら「リンク解除」をクリックします。

3. 「Amazon.co.jp」の「Amazonプライム会員情報の管理ページ」にアクセスいただき、「支払い方法を変更する」をクリックの上、お支払いを更新します。

https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/primecentral

4. TwitchとAmazon.co.jpからログアウト(サインアウト)します。

https://www.twitch.tv/

https://www.amazon.co.jp/

5.下記のTwitch PrimeのURLにアクセスします。

https://twitch.amazon.com/prime?countryCode=jp

6.「Twitch アカウントとリンク」をクリックします。

7. Amazon.co.jpのサインインの画面が表示されましたら、Amazon.co.jpご登録の「メールアドレス」と「パスワード」を入力して「ログイン」をクリックします。

8. Twitchのログイン画面が表示されましたら「ユーザー名」と「パスワード」を入力して「ログイン」をクリックします。

9. 「Twitchアカウントをリンクする」の画面が表示されましたら、「確認」をクリックします。

10. 登録が完了しますと「Twitch Primeへようこそ。様々な特典を楽しみください。」の画面が表示されます。

上記をお試しいただいても改善がされない場合には、お手数をおかけしますが、再度下記の「コンテンツと端末の管理」の「設定」から居住国やお支払いの更新をお試しいただきました後に、再度ご登録をお試しくださいますようお願いいたします。

http://www.amazon.co.jp/mycd

Arebours

Oct 27, 2017
thanks, I will try that! it's crazy and infuriating that this crap still is broken.
followed every step but still not working. I went through the whole process, signed in to both accounts and pressed the 確認 button to confirm but it just redirects back to the "try prime" page.

Last edited:

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Has there been a sudden increase in foreigners living in japan vlogers recently or is it just my YouTube recommendations? Full of white dudes and girls trying to make it big here it seems.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
I have prime, but I have no idea what Twitch is nor the value of connecting the two.

ZeroDS: probably just recommendations, I think if anything it has gone down in the past few years.

dadjumper

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
I've just started getting into Magic: The Gathering for some dumbass reason.
Anyone else in Tokyo play? Any recs for good shops with a nice casual atmosphere?

Kaworu

Oct 28, 2017
Hareruya in Takadanobaba seems to be really good. Never been there personally but a couple of friends just to go there back in the day.