• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mailenstein

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Travel thread here.

eC94KvG.png

Kudos to bananas for the banner.

Last edited:

Urfe

Oct 25, 2017
I was urfe. I'm now chestnutvinegar. I left my avatar the same to reduce immense confusion.

Looking forward to posting in here.

edit: I can't see the banner?

Last edited:

Mik2121

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Everyone have emergency supplies ready for the typhoon?
I have a bag with food and drinks ready for anything that might happen, but I don't think a typhoon will require emergency supplies unless you live in the middle of nowhere in some really old wooden house or something.
At least here in Osaka it's always strong winds for a day, then the next day it's sunny and fine again.

Deleted member 7156

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was wondering if anyone was going to make a thread.

Last week I just slept the typhoon off.
Not particularly concerned about the one this week since it's supposed to be quite weaker.

I'll just stay home playing Mario Odyssey. Which I'll hopefully get today.

Dingens

Circumventing ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
日本語は食べません* everyone!

Glad most of you made it
(*means pla.. I mean Welcome back!)

Vans

Oct 28, 2017
Japan
Hello everyone!

I never posted in the Japan community thread before, but here I am.

I moved here a year ago, now living in the Shikoku area. It's been kind of lonely being a fighting game player here, most of the arcades are all empty compared to Osaka or Tokyo.

shanshan310

Oct 27, 2017
Hey hulemdos :)
Good to see lots of people made it over. I know I didn't post much in the past but Yolosik!

Deleted member 7156

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Weekend typhoon are quite annoying, way to ruin a person little free time.

Thankfully this weekend I had Mario to play through, so it was kind of convinient.

Vans

Oct 28, 2017
Japan
Went there a couple of years ago (Takamatsu). Beautiful place but yeah compared to Tokyo feels like being in another country!

I'm in Matsuyama, which is supposed to be a bigger city compared to most other places in Shikoku, but it is still quite small.

I'm still having problems communicating with people here, a lot of them appear to get scared or nervous at the prospect of having to speak English, even if they hear me speaking Japanese. I guess that in terms of raw numbers it's just unexpected to see a foreigner around these parts.

Theodran

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
The weather in Osaka was horrible on Saturday and the first half of Sunday, but when I went outside around 15:00 on Sunday it had stopped raining and I felt like a dork carrying my umbrella around.

OP
OP
Mailenstein

Mailenstein

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Kinda hat plans to go to Miyazaki over the last weekend to visit family and do some work, but got a mail from the bus company that they've cancelled because of the Typhoon. Well, there was none.. weather was mighty fine. lol

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah it was a beautiful Sunday and Monday here in Kagoshima. The Typhoon mostly got to Kyushuu on Saturday but did not really deter the Halloween fun.

D65

Oct 26, 2017
Is the supposed Ikebukero event this thursday still happening? I never joined that Line group.

Yes, it is. Sadly, because GAF went down we weren't able to get in touch with everyone. The few of us in the LINE Group started to scramble and find more people to make up the 15 to match our reservation.

Could you PM your LINE ID?

Last edited:

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Hey guys I made it over. You may remember me from the sudden post about my love life haha.

Hopefully I'll be in here with posting more fun things!

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
Hope everyone from the older forum will join there.

Thanks to the Typhoon the Yokohama marathon got cancelled yesterday, pretty big event, 10th biggest marathon worldwide with 30000 runners.
17000y down the drain (yep, absolutely 0 refund) and months of training for no end result :'(
Hope I'll be able to find another race in November to bounce back this dissapointment.

Anyway looking forward to the meetup next Thursday!

kubus

Oct 27, 2017
Double new era for me. New forum but I'm no longer part of the Japan community :(. Moved back from Japan to the Netherlands last month and I miss it so much... like, everything. Hope to come back again soon.

Btw Lチキ > ファミチキ

gachapin

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
人生をリセットしたくてとりあえず日本に来てみたスッドレ!?

幻のリセットボタンを求めし者たち(´・ω・`) (ドラクエのサブタイ風味)
517e1a890834fd88984667980bb5a41c.gif

dadjumper

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
Oh heck I never bothered to check if there was a Japan community on the old forum.
Hi! I'm a kiwi living in central Tokyo. I've been working as a JET for a year and change. Anyone near me?
I've had four days off this weekend (Sat-Tues) so I've just been sitting inside out of the rain/wind and playing Mario. It's been good as hell. Thinking about hitting up book off in Ogikubo this afternoon tho
よろぴくおねがいぴます

Btw Lチキ > ファミチキ
Blasphemy

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Oh heck I never bothered to check if there was a Japan community on the old forum.
Hi! I'm a kiwi living in central Tokyo. I've been working as a JET for a year and change. Anyone near me?
I've had four days off this weekend (Sat-Tues) so I've just been sitting inside out of the rain/wind and playing Mario. It's been good as hell. Thinking about hitting up book off in Ogikubo this afternoon tho
よろぴくおねがいぴます

Blasphemy
First year JET here. In Akita instead of Tokyo, though. What a weird job this is.

What should I expect from an izakaya?

Theodran

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
What should I expect from an izakaya?

Apart from food and alcohol?

A lot of izakaya specialize in specific foods. Some may focus big on sea food, others may focus on regional foods, yet others may have just the common staple izakaya food (karaage and whatnot). Some izakaya have closed off rooms (個室) while others may create separate compartments for guests using curtains or something similar (半個室). Some izakaya have a mixture of chairs and tatami rooms where you sit on the floor, while other may only have tatami rooms. Some may even have no compartments for guests and only have chairs. And even if you sit on the floor, they may have spaces under the table so you can sit like you sit in a chair (掘りごたつ).

So, in other words, izakaya experience depends on where you go. They can be as diverse as other non-izakaya restaurants.

Double new era for me. New forum but I'm no longer part of the Japan community :(. Moved back from Japan to the Netherlands last month and I miss it so much... like, everything. Hope to come back again soon.

Btw Lチキ > ファミチキ

The air back in Netherlands must be confusing you. It's obviously the other way around.

Last edited:

Miedo

Oct 27, 2017
I was part of the previous forum as a lurker with a different name, but I feel with a new forum a new name and a new start. I am currently a teacher living in Tokyo who organizes and plays board game groups and plays a lot of video games.

Izakayas can be fun, but yes random food from pizzas to fried rice. fun places though to talk and eat random things though.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
There is a Izakaya here that is all chicken wings. Yes it is as amazing as it sounds. All you can eat and drink for 2,500 or 3000 depending on what course you want. Owner is super nice (who I had no idea was the owner lol) short dude with a shaved head and cutesy face. Turns out he's ex SDF haha. All his staff are college students studying abroad at the university, and since hes friends with the staff there he hires them so they can learn Japanese.

Really fun place... though it's listed as a hostess/-ahem- place for whatever reason online. Unless there is something happening in the back we don't know about!

Definitely be on the look out for themed izakaya' they are great.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My favorite konbini fried chicken was チキンビッツ (like mini kara-age or popcorn chicken) that they used to sell at Lawson. I think they stopped around 2007 and I've missed them ever since :(