• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SkoomaBlade

Chicken Chaser
Oct 30, 2017
In Akihabara right now and I'm looking for a place that sells New Nintendo 3DS faceplates. Been to a few game stores, big and small, and still no luck. Anyone know where I could find some or point me in the right direction?

Kaworu

Oct 28, 2017
Might be going this weekend with my coworker! Seems intimidating though, it's huge! I went to a couple smaller places on the weekend and got some welcome decks tho

Hope you have fun anyways!

In Akihabara right now and I'm looking for a place that sells New Nintendo 3DS faceplates. Been to a few game stores, big and small, and still no luck. Anyone know where I could find some or point me in the right direction?

They had some in the big Yodobashi back in the day.

Cat

Oct 25, 2017
US
Heya, JapanEra.

In March, I'll be moving to Tokyo (Hakusan District, Bunkyō) for 6 months. I've spent most of my free time researching, but I have two questions that I can't find great answers for.

I primarily commute by bike. Would it be worth it to buy a quality used bike when I get to Tokyo and sell it later (... or disassemble It and bring it home with me)? Is it a huge hassle to pay for my bike to be shipped/checked on the plane both ways?
I am a very short and petite girl, and finding a quality hybrid bike that fits me was a challenge. I have read that registering a foreign bike can be a pain, but the bike I own is the perfect bike for my needs in Tokyo (Trek Verve 2). If anyone has experience with bikes, or knows of a great local bike shop, I'd love to hear about it.

...how bad are the slopes around Hakusan? :D I'm not out of shape by any means, but I don't bike a lot of hills where I am now. Should I start?

How would you find your way around Tokyo's local music scene? Particularly for genres like post-rock, shoegaze, etc... Tokyo Gig Guide seems promising, but the forums are just about dead. I imagine going to a couple of shows at popular venues will help me find my way into smaller ones, much like it is in other cities; but are there any recommended resources?

Finally, if anyone wants to throw out anything (seriously) about the area right around Bunkyō/Toyo University, that'd be great. I plan on going to some Giants games, at least.

Last edited:

Hasemo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
As for your bike question, there's a ton of short and petite girls using bikes here, so finding something that fits you in any bike shop (there's a ton of them around Tokyo, even in less populated areas) shouldn't be much of a challenge. If you just need it for commuting, you could probably get a half decent bike for 10-20k yen. If you want to go on longer treks, something better would obviously be nice to have, but I can't really comment on shipping an actual bike from overseas.

sayuuna

Sep 6, 2018
臺灣 「 臺北市 」
That post was entirely tongue-in-cheek, lol. I know there's plenty of other foreigners here.

Japanese people don't seem to think so, though. First question I get after "do you work here?" is "where do you teach?"

I mean, I am an ALT. But still.

Do you get a livable salary? Gonna be making the move later next year and want a more personable anecdote if possible haha.

Cat

Oct 25, 2017
US
As for your bike question, there's a ton of short and petite girls using bikes here, so finding something that fits you in any bike shop (there's a ton of them around Tokyo, even in less populated areas) shouldn't be much of a challenge. If you just need it for commuting, you could probably get a half decent bike for 10-20k yen. If you want to go on longer treks, something better would obviously be nice to have, but I can't really comment on shipping an actual bike from overseas.

Thanks, I've talked to a few other people and it does seem like buying from a shop when I get there is the best option. :)

sayuuna

Sep 6, 2018
臺灣 「 臺北市 」
It's more than livable, but I'm also on the JET program, which is the highest paying ALT job there is AFAIK. It's supposedly pretty hard to get into, but I hear different things about that too.

I would hope it doesn't make too much a difference...

I hope to get one of the less conventional jobs on the island within the next 7-8 months (considering I'm not fresh out of University or anything) before moving on to what my degree allows. I'm worrisome because I hear stories about the wages but I consider too that I rarely shop or eat lavishly.

Darksol

Oct 28, 2017
Japan
It's a good thing guns aren't readily available in this country because I'd blow my brains out if I have to hear U.S.A. by Da Pump one more fucking time.

Deleted member 3700

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
My working holiday visa is confirmed! I am going to Japan for a year.

Holy shit it feels surreal.

Time to start research.

Deleted member 3700

Oct 25, 2017
Congrats!

Got any thing figure out for your time here?
Thanks! I have been wanting to get into anime figure production industry, so this would be a great opportunity to concentrate as well as trying to gain exposure by going to events and meeting with people etc. Probably not too much travelling around. I plan to arrive at Japan in early March next year, so there are still plenty of time for planning.

Maz

Oct 29, 2017
Abu Dhabi
Hey Japan Era,

I am in Osaka for 4 days on business, I would be typically working from around 7am-6pm on daily basis which really limits my ability to check out the city. I would have one day off in Tokyo before leaving, any recommendations for where I can find a good kimono/yukata shop? And how easy is it to ship back home, as the two postal offices I walked into dont speak English at all.

So far the food has been amazing and this might sound weird but the Japanese are too quite and polite for my taste. Without me requesting they have brought halal food (I actually eat everything) and set up a prayer room in their office (I dont pray), they are too nice. The are so nice that I feel obligated to do something in return.

Thanks in advance

Hasemo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
If you think that people in Osaka are too polite, just wait until you come to Tokyo.

Hasemo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
I honestly never felt the "cold" part myself. Interactions with regular people depend on their personality, and it's not like I'm chatting up random strangers. I also have no problem with service people just doing their jobs. That said, it's a complaint that I see often, so I assume there's something to it.

Deleted member 3700

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly never felt the "cold" part myself. Interactions with regular people depend on their personality, and it's not like I'm chatting up random strangers. I also have no problem with service people just doing their jobs. That said, it's a complaint that I see often, so I assume there's something to it.
Now that you mention it, maybe 距離感 is the right word, rather than "cold".

dadjumper

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
I think that 距離感 is what I like about Tokyo. I can live my own damn life and not have to interact or fake being friendly with people I don't know.
There's a real reserved politeness that suits me nicely.

I do like the occasional time that I have friendly small talk with someone, though. It's usually because it's a rarity, so I'm like "woah, someone talked to me," but I'd get sick of it if it was every day.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Does anyone have real life examples of this Osaka rudeness. It's said all the time but I don't know what people's interactions are with strangers daily that they would able to determine this from trips. Are the conbini employees scoffing at you instead of greeting? Are people shoving you on the train? I've only been a couple of times but noticed zero difference in the interactions with people.

Hasemo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Does anyone have real life examples of this Osaka rudeness. It's said all the time but I don't know what people's interactions are with strangers daily that they would able to determine this from trips. Are the conbini employees scoffing at you instead of greeting? Are people shoving you on the train? I've only been a couple of times but noticed zero difference in the interactions with people.
The trip when that happened to me was 5 or so years ago, so I sadly don't remember what it was exactly.
I think that 距離感 is what I like about Tokyo. I can live my own damn life and not have to interact or fake being friendly with people I don't know.
There's a real reserved politeness that suits me nicely.

I do like the occasional time that I have friendly small talk with someone, though. It's usually because it's a rarity, so I'm like "woah, someone talked to me," but I'd get sick of it if it was every day.
Same, I like it when people in stores etc. are just being polite. Of course I always try to have the same polite attitude towards everyone.
(I'm from Poland, where cashiers can be extremely rude on a daily basis, so Tokyo feels like heaven in that regard.)

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Seriously. It might sound really silly, but that's exactly how I felt when I went on a trip to Osaka. And I totally expected to love it there.

Same here. Actually I have major culture shock whenever I visit my parents in the US. I get talked to so casually by the immigration officers. Last time I was there I went to a fast food restaurant and ordered something and the person taking my order was chewing gum talking back to the manager etc. unreal.

dadjumper

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
Same here. Actually I have major culture shock whenever I visit my parents in the US. I get talked to so casually by the immigration officers. Last time I was there I went to a fast food restaurant and ordered something and the person taking my order was chewing gum talking back to the manager etc. unreal.
Word, I went back to New Zealand for the first time a couple of months ago, and people in shops asking how my day was going was really jarring. Also being able to use kiwi slang to randos is a novelty

Darksol

Oct 28, 2017
Japan
Does eggnog exist in this country? Even when I try to explain what it is to my friends here, I get blank stares. I haven't seen it in any supermarkets or conbini and not even Costco. What gives? :(

Shoshi

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Isn't eggnog quite easy to make yourself? Can imagine it becoming more yellow than usual thanks to super yellow Japanese eggs :D

dadjumper

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
Anyone picking up Judge Eyes today? I preordered on Rakuten, then realized I might not have time to play it right now so I went to cancel but couldn't. Might return it once it shows up, but I haven't decided yet. I'm excited as hell to see what that thing is but also Dragon Quest Builders 2 is right around the corner...

Shoshi

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
I have never ordered from Rakuten since their homepage is a mess. What are the good stuff you can get there compared to Amazon or GEO?
Clothes?

dadjumper

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
I have never ordered from Rakuten since their homepage is a mess. What are the good stuff you can get there compared to Amazon or GEO?
Clothes?
Sometimes games there are cheaper or the same price as Amazon, but I have a rakuten credit card I earn points with, so it ends up cheaper for me. I also don't like supporting amazon so I'll generally check rakuten first for anything I wanna buy and then go with the cheapest option.
p.s. I decided to keep Judge Eyes, woops. I figured it's not gonna get any cheaper in the month or so it takes me to finally start it, so whatever.

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
6BHuA7d_d.jpg

Hot damn these are good. Anyone know what they are called so I can find more?