• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
I just rented to a DVD to find that there were no subtitles. I thought for a movie, as opposed to an anime, there would surely be subtitles, but alas ... I'll have to manage with just my ears.

Is this common? How is this allowed to happen? More than my own inconvenience, it should be there for deaf people ...

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
I just rented to a DVD to find that there were no subtitles. I thought for a movie, as opposed to an anime, there would surely be subtitles, but alas ... I'll have to manage with just my ears.

Is this common? How is this allowed to happen? More than my own inconvenience, it should be there for deaf people ...
What'd you rent? (I've never seen any DVD in Japan w/o subs but obviously there are some.)

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
What'd you rent? (I've never seen any DVD in Japan w/o subs but obviously there are some.)

Playing Parasite Eve over the holidays, I decided to rent the film from Tsutaya. I guess it's not exactly a popular movie (and probably not very good), but still ... I feel like there should be industry standards in place to have a country where all people can enjoy its media.

I also rented Hanzawa Naoki, the drama, but haven't tested it yet.

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
Playing Parasite Eve over the holidays, I decided to rent the film from Tsutaya. I guess it's not exactly a popular movie (and probably not very good), but still ... I feel like there should be industry standards in place to have a country where all people can enjoy its media.

I also rented Hanzawa Naoki, the drama, but haven't tested it yet.
I thought that there was an industry standard as most everything I've seen on TV here has subtitles.
I suppose next time just check the back of the box if you've gotta have subtitles or gotta be sure (I forgot that PE had a movie actually).

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
I thought that there was an industry standard as most everything I've seen on TV here has subtitles.
I suppose next time just check the back of the box if you've gotta have subtitles or gotta be sure (I forgot that PE had a movie actually).

That's the thing. I had thought Japan was actually better about this.

I ordered it online and there was no real description of features, as far as I can tell.

dadjumper

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
So I just finished reading 植物図鑑 by 有川浩 and I think it's my new favourite novel.
I've never read romance before. Turns out it's right up my alley.
My top three are now this, Penguin Highway and コンビニ人間. Also really enjoying the 三毛猫ホームズ series, currently on book 3.

I realized today that I've now read more novels in Japanese than I have in English (adult novels not kids books, I read a lot as a kid and then promptly stopped)
Any other readers still chillin??

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I figured out a way to watch Japanese television overseas (without relying on streaming sites)! My wife and I live in California, but she misses Japanese television badly. So when we went to visit her mother a few weeks ago, my sister in law installed this in my mother in law's home: Xit AirBox. She even hooked up a HDD so we can DVR shows.

It's similar to a Slingbox, which I was considering getting, but after reading a bunch of reviews I found that many users had issues with the software. The Xit AirBox seems to be working great so far on m wife's Macbook Pro.The only thing is that whatever devices you want to use have to initially be set up on the same network before they can be used elsewhere (you have to be in Japan to set it all up). Some of you may already know about this, but I thought I'd share this with you.

Hasemo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
I've got a left field question that I thought possibly was worth asking.

There's this calendar I'd really like to get for my wife.

https://global.rakuten.com/en/store/cinemacollection/item/act-2019-acl-063/

It's Shibata san, a mascot she likes a lot. It seems to be sold out and/or not available anywhere I look (I'm in the US). Any ideas how or where I might find it? Thanks all!
Amazon seems to still have 4, but I don't know if this seller is okay with international shipping.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
I want to send a letter to Japan from the US with a self-addressed envelope included.

Is there a way to pay for the postage so the recipient doesn't need to pay for it?

Shoshi

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Any consensus about getting a TV in Japan? Why is there literally no 24" fullhd and only 3 different 32" fullhd sets available?
Since I live in leopalace with a 19" crap I need something bigger but while I should probably stay at 24 I could go 32 as I have in my homecountry but thats already over genkai.
The hitachi regza 32" looks nice buth its only hdready. isnt that a no go zone for ps4? now we know why cheap japanese ps4 rpgs has no antializing - everyone is playing in blurry 720!

disclaimer: Since my antenna isn't working due to unknown circumstances (living close to trees in a cheap crumbling house) I might aswell go for a computer monitor too if that's cheaper.
But if leo wont solve the antenna problem, I might move to another place eventually someday anyway...

Last edited:

Hasemo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Grab an Aquos.
I think the first TV I bought here a few years ago was a 24" full HD Aquos, which was already pretty cheap back then.

Shoshi

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Grab an Aquos.
I think the first TV I bought here a few years ago was a 24" full HD Aquos, which was already pretty cheap back then.

I always dreamt about an AQUOS but unfortunately there exists no 24" Full HD. When I check Yahoo Auctions I see many 24" but they rarely tell if it's full hd or not.

Everyone seems to recommend the cheap DOUSHISHA DOL24S100 (only BS-tuner) or DOL24H100 (BS and CS) so I will probably just go with that

Hasemo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
I always dreamt about an AQUOS but unfortunately there exists no 24" Full HD. When I check Yahoo Auctions I see many 24" but they rarely tell if it's full hd or not.

Everyone seems to recommend the cheap DOUSHISHA DOL24S100 (only BS-tuner) or DOL24H100 (BS and CS) so I will probably just go with that
Interesting, I wonder if they stopped making smaller sizes.
Anyway, here you have a kakaku.com search limited to 24" full HD models, hope this helps.

Shoshi

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Interesting, I wonder if they stopped making smaller sizes.
Anyway, here you have a kakaku.com search limited to 24" full HD models, hope this helps.
Thanks a lot! I checked kakaku before but I just ticked the 20-32 inch span but thanks to your custom 24" search I found out that the 24"
FEP TV I found in reality only is 23.6" (it's stated in the specs section)
But Im still kind of inclined towards FEP since it's Made in Japan and reminds me of the FAP-ring

Pagano

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Hey Japan-Era!
Could someone with better japanese skills than Google Translate give me a rough translation of what's written here?
It's from a card collection/booster box, so I assume it says something about total number of cards/commcon/rares and so on...

Thanks!

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Hey Japan-Era!
Could someone with better japanese skills than Google Translate give me a rough translation of what's written here?
It's from a card collection/booster box, so I assume it says something about total number of cards/commcon/rares and so on...

Thanks!

Trading Collection

All 54 card types in total

Normal Cards 45 cards
Silver Cards 9 cards

*There are times when all types are not included in box
1 pack contains 10 cards

Normal Cards 9 cards
Silver Cards 1 card

Amada
Publisher:
Amada Printing Manufacturing Co. LTD
1-1-1 Inari Sokashi Saitama Prefecture

Next time put the picture inline to make it easier to type the translation.

kubus

Oct 27, 2017
Terribly sorry for kind-of abusing this thread, but I was hoping someone here has any advice/tips.

My dad is taking my little sister to Japan this weekend to see BTS in Fukuoka on Saturday. He bought tickets from viagogo but they didn't post them until yesterday and they stupidly sent them to Europe instead of the hotel in Japan. The tickets haven't arrived yet obviously and they're flying to Japan today. Apparently Viagogo is also a shitty website with terrible CS and they refuse to refund the ticket or be helpful in any other way.

The only reason they're going all the way to Fukuoka is for this concert so this is kind of a huge disaster for them. My little sister is heartbroken. I warned them that it might be really risky because buying concert tickets from overseas is so difficult, but this is really harsh for her...

Does anyone know of good ticket reseller sites that can be used by non-Japan residents or another method of obtaining a ticket this close to the concert date? They fully expect to pay a hefty markup by now but at this point money isn't really an issue anymore, as long as they can get in :/.

Any help would be really appreciated!

dadjumper

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Any help would be really appreciated!

Tickets for this concert are like $1000 already, if they are that ballin out of control more power to them. Not sure about resellers but when I checked the other week there were tickets for sale still at the aforementioned price on the official sites here. Some have English ( I googled fukuoka concerts btw when i saw this)

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
So my father in law in Japan finally got a smartphone. Didn't tell us first otherwise we'd have said get an iPhone for FaceTime. (We are in the UK). He got a Kyocera Daiso 3 (sounds amazing /s)

Can it support any kind of video calling with my wife's iPhone/iPad?

Last edited:

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
So my father in law in Japan finally got a smartphone. Didn't tell us first otherwise we'd have said get an iPhone for FaceTime. (We are in the UK). He got a Kyocera Daiso 3 (sounds amazing /s)

Can it support any kind of video calling with my wife's iPhone/iPad?

LINE is your best choice. He might already have it installed.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
LINE is your best choice. He might already have it installed.

He's 80 and this is his first smartphone. I guess it might be -reinstalled but he'd still need an account. Will see if the store or my sister-in-law can check.

Looking at the spec it seems to be a BASIO 3 - thought DASIO was unlikely. Runs android 7 and has google play store so should be ok for line.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
He's 80 and this is his first smartphone. I guess it might be -reinstalled but he'd still need an account. Will see if the store or my sister-in-law can check.

Looking at the spec it seems to be a BASIO 3 - thought DASIO was unlikely. Runs android 7 and has google play store so should be ok for line.

LINE is used by like 90% of Japan, so it should come in handy for him. It's been forever since I started using line but if I remember correctly it is pretty automated creating an account using the phones phone number.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Does anyone have real life examples of this Osaka rudeness. It's said all the time but I don't know what people's interactions are with strangers daily that they would able to determine this from trips. Are the conbini employees scoffing at you instead of greeting? Are people shoving you on the train? I've only been a couple of times but noticed zero difference in the interactions with people.

They aren't actually rude...unless you're from Tokyo. Before I lived there I was laughing at the fact that something as benign as speaking loudly on the train can be construed as rude. After living in Tokyo, I became more sensitive towards this so the joke's on me. This is just one example.

Cat

Oct 25, 2017
US
Less than 3 weeks now until I move to Tokyo.

By the way, anyone else going to After Hours in May?

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hey japan era! Been posting a bit in the japan travel thread but um yea heading to japan tomorrow for my second trip. First time was 2013 and I went to Tokyo/Osaka/Kyoto/Fuji.. this time I'm flying into Kagoshima and I'm pretty open to just wandering for a couple of weeks. I asked for travel advice in the other thread, but here just wanna say if anyone wants to grab a beer or ramen or give me a sofa or floor to sleep on for a night somewhere in japan, send me a PM.

I've met lots of china gaf/ era over the years, and a few random gaf/era people who just were visiting china, so if you are worried I'm a murderer I can send you some references.

Cat

Oct 25, 2017
US
If you're still there when I arrive, I would be down for a meet-up (in a group).

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
I went back home for two weeks, the first time since I moved to Japan and now that I'm back in Tokyo I'm feeling a little bit down I guess :( just a little bit, but still. It's something I always knew but I absolutely plan to go back to Mexico for good in the future. It's clear I haven't been able to replicate my social circle here in Tokyo, that's maybe on me, but my life here is definitely lonely compared to my life in Mexico. And I just miss my friends and family too much. And food! Mexican food here is just sad.

I love Japan, because of the Japanese part of my family it's always been a thing in my life, I love the Japanese language and learning it has been a fantastic thing. I love my job here and I think this is a great country, but I guess there's really no place like home.

Anyway, just wanted to rant a little. I'll feel better after some tempura :)

dadjumper

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
Weird, I was the exact opposite, lol. I went back to NZ for a couple of weeks last year and spent the whole time wishing I was back in Tokyo. There's so much more here for me. It kinda helps that my friend group is small and my family isn't very close. I still miss good cheese, lamb and fish & chips, but otherwise I'm cool with living her for the forseeable future.

Also, have you been to Chiles Mexican Grill in Harajuku? I'm not sure how it stacks up compared to the real thing but it's the best mexican I've ever had (helps that mexican food in NZ is almost non-existent). Curious to hear your thoughts or any other recommendations!

RightChandMan

Oct 26, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I posted this in the travel thread, but would also love some input in this thread!

My wife and myself finalized our honeymoon and this is what we are doing. Going in June. Comments and suggestions are welcome!

1. Arriving in Tokyo, staying in the Taito City Area for 3 days.
We have scheduled: A group walking tour, cat cafe, a cooking class, restaurant reservation at ninja akasaka

2. Going to Hakone for 2 days.
We have scheduled: Going to the spa theme park

3. Going to Kyoto for 4 days. Staying right near the Matsubara Bridge
We have scheduled: A private guide, ninja class, samurai class, hiking the monkey park, restaurant reservation at Hafuu Hoten

4. Going to Hiroshima for 2 days. Staying at a ryokan on Miyajima island.
We have scheduled: Hiroshima food tour, and sightseeing peace park

5. Ending our trip in Tokyo for 4 days, staying in Shinjuku City Area
We have scheduled: teamlab borderless art museum, Ghibli museum, going to Hydrangeas in Kamakura

If time permits we may make day trips to Osaka and Himeji Castle.

We are open to suggestions regarding food, temples, museums, etc.

Thank you in advanced!

Last edited:

leder

Oct 25, 2017
I posted this in the travel thread, but would also love some input in this thread!

My wife and myself finalized our honeymoon and this is what we are doing. Going in June. Comments and suggestions are welcome!

1. Arriving in Tokyo, staying in the Taito City Area for 3 days.
We have scheduled: A group walking tour, cat cafe, a cooking class, restaurant reservation at ninja akasaka

2. Going to Hakone for 2 days.
We have scheduled: Going to the spa theme parked

3. Going to Kyoto for 4 days. Staying right near the Matsubara Bridge
We have scheduled: A private guide, ninja class, samurai class, hiking the monkey park, restaurant reservation at Hafuu Hoten

4. Going to Hiroshima for 2 days. Staying at a ryokan on Miyajima island.
We have scheduled: Hiroshima food tour, and sightseeing peace park

5. Ending our trip in Tokyo for 4 days, staying in Shinjuku City Area
We have scheduled: teamlab borderless art museum, Ghibli museum, going to Hydrangeas in Kamakura

If time permits we may make day trips to Osaka and Himeji Castle.

We are open to suggestions regarding food, temples, museums, etc.

Thank you in advanced!
Congrats dude!!!!

Everyone has different travel styles, but personally I would leave some time to just wander around and explore. There are so many amazing nooks of Japanese cities that you'll never come across in a tour or guidebook. Some of my best memories of Japan are exploring random Tokyo neighborhoods.

dadjumper

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
Man, I sure am in a rut with Japanese learning. I'm not getting any worse because I'm still speaking most days/reading books, but I haven't had the motivation to sit down and study grammar/vocab for months. I'm still planning on taking N2 this year but I don't think it'll go too well, lol.
Anyone else have this experience? How do you push through?

dadjumper

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
If you're certain that your prospective job here requires an N2 or 1, then you'll just need find what works to spur motivation. Like how everyone has their own "best" solution to study kanji; everyone eventually finds what works just right for their needs.
Keep plugging at it. Faito! ^_^
I wanna get into translation so oops yeah I think I'll need N1 lol
gotta get it poppin i guess

Hasemo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
I know we have a Japanese learning thread, but one piece of advice from me - instead of beating yourself over no motivation and as a result not doing anything, do everything you would normally do in Japanese. Games? Play them in Japanese? Movies, music? You know the drill. The AJJAT (all the Japanese all the time) method works great and has helped me immensely in college.

dadjumper

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
I know we have a Japanese learning thread, but one piece of advice from me - instead of beating yourself over no motivation and as a result not doing anything, do everything you would normally do in Japanese. Games? Play them in Japanese? Movies, music? You know the drill. The AJJAT (all the Japanese all the time) method works great and has helped me immensely in college.
I do that already lol, have been since I started 7 years ago

Deleted member 48991

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2018
My girlfriend who is Japanese just graduated (political science) a few weeks ago and started working at a company editing text books for studying English. She gets home late every night (8 hours a day regular work, 2 hours unpaid overtime, 2 more hours of "study time") and is often crying / depressed about the working pressure (being berated by senpai and her boss creating an adversarial working environment, e.g. telling employees that the ones who work the most hours for the company have the best chance of promotion). I'm lucky enough to work for a white company (I usually work 9 hours / at most 10 hours a day including a one hour break), so I have no idea what kind of advice to give her. It feels so unfair that she is working her ass off for a kind of shitty salary. I'm trying to do my best to support her by cooking dinner and doing chores at home, but still she gets so tired... Anyone got any tips on how I can help her stay positive?