• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Hasemo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
My girlfriend who is Japanese just graduated (political science) a few weeks ago and started working at a company editing text books for studying English. She gets home late every night (8 hours a day regular work, 2 hours unpaid overtime, 2 more hours of "study time") and is often crying / depressed about the working pressure (being berated by senpai and her boss creating an adversarial working environment, e.g. telling employees that the ones who work the most hours for the company have the best chance of promotion). I'm lucky enough to work for a white company (I usually work 9 hours / at most 10 hours a day including a one hour break), so I have no idea what kind of advice to give her. It feels so unfair that she is working her ass off for a kind of shitty salary. I'm trying to do my best to support her by cooking dinner and doing chores at home, but still she gets so tired... Anyone got any tips on how I can help her stay positive?
That sounds like a terrible company set in their ways. Probably won't change anytime soon, so unless working there is a great opportunity for you gf, I would honestly think about looking for some new place. Might be hard for a fresh graduate, but since so many companies are short staffed nowadays, she probably would find something fairly quickly.

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Quick question where do you guys pick up your games? We never get the sales that the US or Europe gets so I'm wondering where most of you pick up your stuff

Oct 31, 2017
Quick question where do you guys pick up your games? We never get the sales that the US or Europe gets so I'm wondering where most of you pick up your stuff
I stick to Amazon most of the time, though for my Switch there are occasions where the US eShop is cheaper than the JPN one so I use that. I only go to used game shops if I want to get something retro. I *used* to go to Yodobashi on occasion but it's way more convenient with Amazon considering the country is so small almost everything is delivered in a day.

dadjumper

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
Amazon/Rakuten for new stuff online, Mercari for used, GEO or Book Off for physical shops.
GEO's sales are generally great.

I *used* to go to Yodobashi on occasion but it's way more convenient with Amazon considering the country is so small almost everything is delivered in a day.
Lol, I don't think it's the size of the country more than the density of people in cities. NZ is almost the same size as Japan and mail takes like a week even domestically

Blackquill

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hello, I'm going to Japan around this september to end january as a student and planning to book a dorm there (near the Waseda University), has someone already did something like this here ? I searched a little bit but there are so many things that I don't understand (like this http://prntscr.com/nnafsn what's the entrance fee, what's the difference with the dorm fee...), so if anyone has advice on it I would be glad to hear it, thanks !

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
Oh? It's been a long time since I've been in line but I recall once, and only once, where I waited the entire morning on to have lunch start and I was three numbers after the current one. That really sucked having an additional hour and then 3 more numbers plus processing and waiting again.
What's the wait looking like now?

dadjumper

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
Oh? It's been a long time since I've been in line but I recall once, and only once, where I waited the entire morning on to have lunch start and I was three numbers after the current one. That really sucked having an additional hour and then 3 more numbers plus processing and waiting again.
What's the wait looking like now?
Much longer :) I'm getting close to next but there are 81 people in line

dadjumper

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
They should be cracking the windows open again soon. At least you got your phone with. And hopefully a portable game thing too.
Got through in just over 3 hours. Ended up leaving for lunch and coming back and hadn't missed my number, lol.
Also there's no phone signal in there, and I didn't have a handheld, so good thing I juuuust didn't run out of podcasts.
Will definitely take my switch when I go back to collect my zairyuu card. God

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
Got through in just over 3 hours. Ended up leaving for lunch and coming back and hadn't missed my number, lol.
Also there's no phone signal in there, and I didn't have a handheld, so good thing I juuuust didn't run out of podcasts.
Will definitely take my switch when I go back to collect my zairyuu card. God
Not even 3G? Thick walls. O.o
Well, hope you get a 3-yr one so it doesn't need to be so soon until the next renewal. ;)

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I ask every few years and the situation never seems to improve but what the heck..

My wife is Japanese but we live in the UK. Are there any reasonable ways to get Japanese TV here? There is JSTV whihcbis expensive and only NHK - she wants dramas/comedy stuff really. Netflix +VPN has a limited catalog she isn't that interested in.

Do TV stations in Japan have iPlayer/Hulu style catchup services we could access with a VPN?

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
As far as just the TV stations having that, I've yet to see it or heard anything about an iPlayer-type app.

Well, as an alternative idea, get one of her family members Hikari internet and HikariTV. HikariTV has a free app (ひかりTVどこでも) that allows you to view live TV remotely or recorded HDD stuff (and more from them as well).
Of course, you need to subscribe to their services to do so and like you said, need a VPN.
Since she's Japanese, I'm sure she has relatives here and they could already have Hikari internet so simply adding the HikariTV service wouldn't be much extra.
This would be what I'd look into if she has to have her NHK + broadcast etc programming abroad with a likely lower cost but a much wider viewing potential than just that one JSTV channel.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
As far as just the TV stations having that, I've yet to see it or heard anything about an iPlayer-type app.

Well, as an alternative idea, get one of her family members Hikari internet and HikariTV. HikariTV has a free app (ひかりTVどこでも) that allows you to view live TV remotely or recorded HDD stuff (and more from them as well).
Of course, you need to subscribe to their services to do so and like you said, need a VPN.
Since she's Japanese, I'm sure she has relatives here and they could already have Hikari internet so simply adding the HikariTV service wouldn't be much extra.
This would be what I'd look into if she has to have her NHK + broadcast etc programming abroad with a likely lower cost but a much wider viewing potential than just that one JSTV channel.

she does have relatives (I've been trying to persuade her to get her parents to get internet but they old so unlikely to. Her sister might be up for it)

So the app would allow you to record programs to a DVR and then in theory watch on ipad using a VPN?

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
she does have relatives (I've been trying to persuade her to get her parents to get internet but they old so unlikely to. Her sister might be up for it)

So the app would allow you to record programs to a DVR and then in theory watch on ipad using a VPN?

I've only ever set the recording on the Hikari TV tuner box and watch them via the app. AFAIK, you can set a recording for HikariTV channels via the app but not for broadcast TV - that has to be done on the tuner box in Japan so email her sister to arrange that ;). Otherwise, she could watch broadcast TV live but the JP to UK time difference could be rough.
If her sister has Hikari internet service, you would need to subscribe to Hikari TV, get an external HDD to connect to the Hikari TV tuner box, download the app, set up a VPN, sync the app to the tuner box (I presume you'd need a VPN as you'll be out of the country but I cannot say for sure as I only understand the theory of a VPN), and they presuming everything goes well, you should then be able to watch.
If her sister doesn't have Hikari Internet, you'd need to search for an internet provider that works with HikariTV's service area (greater Tokyo/Kanto is usually fine but check to be sure). And even in she already has internet, you still should check before subscribing to HikariTV.
This is what I did to watch in the country (minus the VPN) while on the road and it works well on a cellular internet connection which is how I use it most of the time (wifi works much better of course).

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
I ask every few years and the situation never seems to improve but what the heck..

My wife is Japanese but we live in the UK. Are there any reasonable ways to get Japanese TV here? There is JSTV whihcbis expensive and only NHK - she wants dramas/comedy stuff really. Netflix +VPN has a limited catalog she isn't that interested in.

Do TV stations in Japan have iPlayer/Hulu style catchup services we could access with a VPN?

My wife is japanese. We do isakura TV. Has a looooot of channels for only 30 bucks a month. Only one registered device allowed though.

Side plug, if anyone hangs in the shinjuku area, hit up Rock Inn Dice (rock bar). Good chahan and the owner's a great guy.

Last edited:

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks - will try Sakura first and the more complex route maybe later (we are in Japan at Christmas again which may help that)

Arebours

Oct 27, 2017
well fucking hell. I was planning to go to Osaka tomorrow, in part to submit my renewal papers(I wish they would just let us mail them) but the temporary bridge(the "real" road is shut down due to landslide hazard) connecting us to civilization got washed away with last nights downpour. Fortunately I still have plenty of time for the application but I'm not looking forward to being stuck here until they fix the road.

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My wife is japanese. We do isakura TV. Has a looooot of channels for only 30 bucks a month. Only one registered device allowed though.

Side plug, if anyone hangs in the shinjuku area, hit up Rock Inn Dice (rock bar). Good chahan and the owner's a great guy.

Yeah, iSakura is a damn good deal. Tons of channels, ability to download pretty easily, accessible from a browser, two weeks worth of archived shows... It's better than even being in Japan from a purely TV content accessibility perspective. I keep fearing it's going to disappear like so many of these gray-market streaming services do.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Yeah, iSakura is a damn good deal. Tons of channels, ability to download pretty easily, accessible from a browser, two weeks worth of archived shows... It's better than even being in Japan from a purely TV content accessibility perspective. I keep fearing it's going to disappear like so many of these gray-market streaming services do.
Recommend me some current J TV shows, please.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco

Define current. Like on TV right now, or recent (last year or so), or sorta recent (last 10 years)

If within 10 years, Hanzawa Naoki is great (2013). May be worth picking up either way because apparently the 2nd season is finally coming. For current, I'm irregularly watching Shūdan Sasen as it has the best actor in Hanzawa Naoki as supporting cast (Teruyuki Kagawa) though it kinda feels like a poor man's Hanzawa Naoki. Watashi, teiji de kaerimasu (I get off work on time) is also on right now and it's ok. For with in the last few years, Nigeru wa Haji da ga Yaku ni Tatsu (We got married as a job (2016)) is wonderful, sweet, with an obnoxiously catchy song and dance end credits. Wife and I always do this for karaoke. That said, I haven't done a lot of channel surfing the last few months as I just haven't had time to dedicate to a drama so there are probably better fresh ones out there.

My own question. What are good men's haircut chains in Tokyo? It's starting to get too hot for how long my hair is and I know it's only going to get worse and worse the next few months. This'll be my first time getting a cut here so don't really know where to start. I'm living next to kabukicho so pretty much all salons I'm finding are crazy over the top women's places. Since this will probably be my only cut for a few months I'm willing to fork out a bit extra.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP

This is actually on prime - Kyoto Love Story.

I'll be staying in Kyoto for a few weeks as opposed to Tokyo this time(trying to avoid family for a bit) and the show's been great at showcasing some places. Light hearted fun and a bit of drama.

Hasemo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Video Girl Mai is on Amazon Prime and is weird, but fun. If you don't mind most characters being extremely unlikable on purpose, it's perfect. A thriller-y take on the Video Girl concept.
Video Girl Ai from last year was enjoyable too, but completely lost it in the second half.

lupin23rd

Oct 27, 2017
Hey all, had a question on job searching in Japan.
Recently got laid off from the software company I was working at (QA engineer). Japan has always been somewhere I'd thought about living and working in, and figured this might be the time to make the move. I have been to Japan many times on vacation, and also spent some time doing a working holiday there, so relatively familiar with the country already.
I've seen some positions of interest on the usual sites (linkedIn, glassDoor, indeed) but wondered if there were any other sites I should be looking at that might have relevant jobs for people which are not exclusively catering to native Japanese speakers and may not be as widely known?
My Japanese is conversational, but not sure how it would hold up in a work environment, especially a technical one.
(I've got the old 3級 from many years ago, and was close to passing old 2級 but it's been a while)

Thanks!

SushiMassage

Banned
Apr 5, 2019
Anyone here who live with "normal japanese people"? =P
I live in a danchi with my wife, and I am starting to think that Japanese actually have worse manners than Americans!

Partying/being noisy all night and not caring about others, if you warn them they get pissed off and scream at you (at least some of them, happened last night), can't throw away the garbage properly, park illegally all the time, play high music at 4 in the morning with open window, drunks screaming outside 4 in the morning etc.

And when you go out on town you see all the weird people, drunks everywhere. Turn on tv and its crazy murders and sex crimes all the time.

My impression that Japanese people are the most civilized people on earth is slowly falling apart =(

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Anyone here who live with "normal japanese people"? =P
I live in a danchi with my wife, and I am starting to think that Japanese actually have worse manners than Americans!

Partying/being noisy all night and not caring about others, if you warn them they get pissed off and scream at you (at least some of them, happened last night), can't throw away the garbage properly, park illegally all the time, play high music at 4 in the morning with open window, drunks screaming outside 4 in the morning etc.

My impression that Japanese people are the most civilized people on earth is slowly falling apart =(

Weirdly opposite. Living in 8 chome shinjuku and its surprisingly quiet. Though in a manshon and never lived in a danchi so I dont how much of a difference that makes. Probably helps that entertainment is close by and self contained so it doesnt bother residential.

Shoshi

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
I live with a crazy neighbour of a young japanese guy who's mum came by a lot in the beginning and he didn't open the door but instead sings/screams alot of karaoke by himself. Sometimes at night when he is tired after work.

My friend has a psycho otaku neighbour who screams all the time and makes noise by moving around furniture. He greets people politely though.

Has to do with the stress from work probably.

But yeah, usually Japanese people never talks directly with their neighbours (you could maybe try leave a note in their postbox) and nowdays I heard new neighbours have stopped the Japanese practice of greeting neighbours with presents.

Last edited:

Hikari_Ryu

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2017
Hi, don't know if it's the right place to ask, but I need a favor. Been trying all day to make a Japanese Google account and redeem a code to buy Great Ace Attorney so I can play it on my phone with the English patch. So far I haven't been able to redeem it because of some regional restriction. Can someone help me creating the account an exchanging the code while being on Japan?

DeusOcha

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Japan
Visiting Japan within one week's time, whoo! I'm actually on the airplane tomorrow but heading for Hong Kong first. Anywho I made a post in the ALT thread; basically just wondering if it's possible to land a non-teaching job in Japan if I know very little/basic Japanese. Oh and also, of course, if anyone wants to meet up when I'm there.

In hindsight I probably should've written this earlier, I blame work.

Anyways, I'm actually heading over to Japan in one week's time on a family vacation; going back to visit the place/sights I grew up with as a child 10+ years ago. But always in the back of my mind I'm always looking to actually move/land a job there.

Now I think I've posted here before (or atleast in an old thread, definitely in the old old thread back on GAF) but I'm a college graduate currently working in IT. I've now spend a full year doing IT helpdesk in a datacenter, so a bit fancier than your standard IT (I mange installation of gear, racking servers, some basic network configs, etc.) but it's still kinda meh. Not something I want to do with the rest of my life, and quite honestly, I don't see much joy in it advancing down this career path beyond more money.

Around 2 years ago, fresh out of university before I landed the IT job, I did apply for JET but was turned down. Looking back on my application essay I realized it was a bit too flamboyant in language and not hitting the actual work-related topics; something I unfortunately picked up during university to get through my English/essay classes. And I haven't re-applied since due to a combination of the stress of landing the IT job (which took a year of looking) and the lack of people to hand my letters of recommendation. At the moment I can't really imagine my current IT manager, whose a great guy, writing a letter of recommendation for a teaching gig that's completely unrelated to IT.

But I still ultimately have that desire to land a job/live in Japan beyond the once-in-a-blue-moon vacation; the very least know that I gave the attempt. Anyone on here could give me tips/advice? Should I keep aiming for ALT or do there exist entry-level IT jobs in Japan looking for English-speakers? And well, since I'll be in Japan within a week of now, would be really neat if I could meet up with some JapanERA in person haha, but not counting on it obviously.

dadjumper

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
Visiting Japan within one week's time, whoo! I'm actually on the airplane tomorrow but heading for Hong Kong first. Anywho I made a post in the ALT thread; basically just wondering if it's possible to land a non-teaching job in Japan if I know very little/basic Japanese. Oh and also, of course, if anyone wants to meet up when I'm there.
It really depends. From what I've heard, unless you want a labouring or factory job, it's not easy. Maybe if you work in tech you'd be able to find a company that hires English speakers, but you're definitely limited.

Kaworu

Oct 28, 2017
If you know how to code it may be easier to land a job as an entry-level programmer than as a IT technician that probably needs to communicate in Japanese fairly more often.

Krabardaf

Jun 12, 2019

Very unlikely but possible, especially in very specific or highly technical areas, mostly in foreign managed companies. I know two guys that have been doing some kind of engineering here for ten years, but still can't order at the restaurent in Japanese.

If you're committed and willing I'd say bite the bullet and teach a year or so while your learn the language, then move on to something else. If you go the ALt you'll get plenty of free time. It could be a very good experience all in all, and if you're a native speaker you can get a decent salary.(From a debt-less European point of view tho)

DeusOcha

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Japan
Very unlikely but possible, especially in very specific or highly technical areas, mostly in foreign managed companies. I know two guys that have been doing some kind of engineering here for ten years, but still can't order at the restaurent in Japanese.

If you're committed and willing I'd say bite the bullet and teach a year or so while your learn the language, then move on to something else. If you go the ALt you'll get plenty of free time. It could be a very good experience all in all, and if you're a native speaker you can get a decent salary.(From a debt-less European point of view tho)

I dont rally have debt either, thankfully, as a college graduate. My desire to work/live in Japan stems that I lived there prior as a kid and while I have little knowledge of the language atm, I do intend to learn the native language being in an actual environment where I have to do so instead of studying off textbooks.