• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yep, japan still tryin to not like ganguro

There was some anime a few years back that had a ganguro character that had their skin lightened the heck up before it aired.

Which one was that? Btw, you saying that reminded me of a case of a character from Saiki Kusuo no psi-nan that was a normal gyaru on the manga but in the anime her skin tone was tanned which is basically the contrary

images

Its Casca from the disastrous Berserk TV show aren't it.

It can't be Caska because a Ganguro have darker skin tone artificially and well, it's a medieval series.

Okii

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My mind doesn't immediately jump to white washing when I see those plushie, it just looks like two recolors of the characters to me. I'm not Japanese so I don't know if this is a common thing as some have said I was just offering my take on it didn't mean to upset.

Okii

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna guess you're one of those people who doesn't get the what the big deal is with blackface.

I'm not a racist if that's what you're inferring, someone should be able to have an opinion that doesn't match your own without being lumped together with people who approve of blackface.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Tall vs Short
Older vs Younger
Octoling vs Squidling
Pale-skinned vs Dark-skinned
etc. etc.

These are two characters presenting friendly, superficial choices in the game, and their whole stagecraft is representing that sort of difference and embrancing it. It's like the designer was too ignorant to understand the whole POINT is that these characters contrast in aesthetics.

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My mind doesn't immediately jump to white washing when I see those plushie, it just looks like two recolors of the characters to me. I'm not Japanese so I don't know if this is a common thing as some have said I was just offering my take on it didn't mean to upset.
You don't have to be Japanese to realize that this is a fucked up thing no matter what.

Oct 25, 2017
Looking at the art makes me think that it's a problem with the materials, like it was cheaper to just use the same for both

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
It's so it'll sell better.
So that it's more appealing under "Bihaku" beauty standards to increase it's sale's potential for the casual audience who lives by those standards, like the current girl gangs under that article?

Urggh, I can't imagine actual Japanese Marina/Off the Hook fans would like this shit. At least I fucking hope so.

She just looks plain worse on top of everything else.

Drain You

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
Looking at the art makes me think that it's a problem with the materials, like it was cheaper to just use the same for both

I highly doubt this would be the case. I don't think a difference in shades would cost that much on a mass production item. Surely not enough to compromise what the characters should look like. Especially from a company like Nintendo.

Edit: Especially from a company with money like Nintendo.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not a racist if that's what you're inferring, someone should be able to have an opinion that doesn't match your own without being lumped together with people who approve of blackface.

That's really all on the specific argument though. A tacit approval of something is fair game to lump in with explicit approval, for instance.

People shouldn't have a free pass to pretend their arguments are different from ones that say the same thing, or insist they're not racist if the things they do or say don't actually point to them not being racist. That would be dumb.

Okii

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Dismissing concerns surrounding racism
That's really all on the specific argument though. A tacit approval of something is fair game to lump in with explicit approval, for instance.

People shouldn't have a free pass to pretend their arguments are different from ones that say the same thing, or insist they're not racist if the things they do or say don't actually point to them not being racist. That would be dumb.

It would also be dumb to think a color change on a plushie is white washing but here this thread exists.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017

I'm a Godzilla fan and I've seen a ton of Godzilla related toys that are complete recolors from the original monster colors which makes me think it's a pretty common thing in the Japanese toy industry. I never personally liked recolors myself and want a toy or figurine to look accurate to how the characters appears.

Of course that means it's possible it's not malicious but the fact that Pearl has more accurate skin colors and the rest of the colors are more or less accurate makes me think it was probably whitewashing.

Serenitynow

Oct 25, 2017

What's dumb is equating the expression of doubt over the assumed intent of a mass-produced toy to endorsing people who paint their faces black to disparage a race of people.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017

They literally market skin-whitener because huge segments of the fashion culture consider darker skin tones ugly. It's a massive market. They promote the idea that darker skin is unattractive, and it's an extension of other social attitudes that darker skin implies corruption or ill-will.

Even putting that all aside, if you don't understand why making an established character shift/change their race for marketability isn't significant, that displays meaningful ignorance about the importance of identity (racial or otherwise). I honestly think it's something you should think about. And just to help you "get it," I think it's completely reasonable to assume that you wouldn't understand the issue with people wearing black-face, because it's a very similar set of concepts, and you're outspoken against the idea of people criticizing this situation. I'm happy if that's not so, but the initial assumption would be an informed one.

woopWOOP

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Boooo

I was even thinking "well... maybe white because it's Hello Kitty's thing" before clicking, but the difference is right there in the actual icon right next to it (and even then it's pretty minimal). Come on

Gordonefa

Banned
Jan 19, 2019
China
User Banned (Permanent): Racism over a series of posts. Account in junior phase.
I can't deny that I find this whiter look cuter and more appealing. Maybe that's why they did the whitewash redesign, to sell to customers like me.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I can't deny that I find this whiter look cuter and more appealing. Maybe that's why they did the whitewash redesign, to sell to customers like me.

A two-week old account with only one other post embracing that maybe it's good that they changed the character to appeal to people who don't like dark-skinned people is a real bummer to see.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
You find whiter versions of black characters cuter and more appealing. You've got to delve deeper as to why. White supremacy is a hell of a conditioning drug. Remember the Dolls Test from the 1940s.

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
i wonder what the reaction would be if it happened the other way around in japan...

Last edited:

Gordonefa

Banned
Jan 19, 2019
China
A two-week old account with only one other post embracing that maybe it's good that they changed the character to appeal to people who don't like dark-skinned people is a real bummer to see.
No no no, I'm not saying it's good. I don't leave many replies and posts because I am mainly using this site to read news, rumours and interesting stories.

Gestalt

The Fallen
Nov 10, 2017
I'm willing to give the key art a pass because Sanrio is known for using super pastel color schemes in their stuff and by that standard she's appropriately dark, but yeah that plush is.... blatantly too light even in more complimentary lighting.

Gordonefa

Banned
Jan 19, 2019
China
You find whiter versions of black characters cuter and more appealing. You've got to delve deeper as to why. White supremacy is a hell of a conditioning drug. Remember the Dolls Test from the 1940s.

This is indeed a very interesting video. I wonder why those black kids favour white dolls instead of black dolls. If I have to choose between a white and a yellowish one or between a black and yellowish one, I would definitely choose the yellow one, because it looks more like me.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
This is indeed a very interesting video. I wonder why those black kids favour white dolls instead of black dolls. If I have to choose between a white and a yellowish one or between a black and yellowish one, I would definitely choose the yellow one, because it looks more like me.
Kids get conditioned by white supremacist society that black people are lazy, criminals, and not good people so they take that racism in and project on to these dolls. Much like what youre doing.

Gordonefa

Banned
Jan 19, 2019
China
Thanks for confirming they're doing this so racists buy it
I thought it was just a question of aesthetic preferences? If they had made Marina's skin blue, then I'd prefer it to both white and black, because I love the colour blue. I can assure you that I have never viewed or treated any people differently because of their race or ethnicity.

Scrooge McDuck

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Whether you realize it or not, your arguments sound really similar to those who defend blackface. "It has no malicious intent," "it's just makeup."

You said that it's just a recolor and I honestly don't understand how that suddenly makes making a black-looking character into not looking black okay.

Resilient

Oct 25, 2017
There's no universe where that isn't a deliberate choice.

Making a black character look light-skinned for licensed products (barely even tan by most standards) is upsetting on a lot of levels. Particularly in an industry landscape where it's less common to have distinctly non-white characters in the first place. This is a patently obvious case of whitewashing an existing design. It's at odds with the character's design.

Criticizing others for reacting and telling the bald-faced lie that there's no substance to the situation is one step away from completing the trifecta of obviously (subconsciously, hopefully) supporting something vile. I haven't seen you pretend it doesn't matter because it's just some dumb toy, so I'll give you that benefit of the doubt there.

Hey buddy. Thanks for taking the time to quote me. Too bad I don't give a shit that you've given me the benefit of the doubt, because I don't even know who you are and your compassion means little to me. If you really, truly care about this as much as you've shown - enough to spew the crap you did above at somebody based on 1 post - then you could at least read my 2nd input into the thread. And similarly to those 2 posters (who have disappeared, what a surprise) I'm happy to extend that offer to you - perfectly happy to tweet/contact Sanrio and ask why, then post their response here. But you won't take that offer up, because you just wanted to have a crack at somebody on the internet. Am I right? Thanks.