• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
The art on the right has a Marina that is still very pale, but clearly not the same skin tone as Pearl. The plushie doesn't match. Dunno what that means. Maybe it doesn't mean anything.

Woylie

May 9, 2018
that thread title is a real emotional roller coaster

"oh cool, sanrio plushies? ...... oh. ohhhh no."

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
There's a tweet with another picture of the plushie that looks a smidgeon darker, but it's still nowhere close.

gordofredito

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
I once got a big-ass figurine in those claw machines in tokyo. I haven't decided what to do with it lol, it's a huge Ononoki figurine

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The art on the right has a Marina that is still very pale, but clearly not the same skin tone as Pearl. The plushie doesn't match. Dunno what that means. Maybe it doesn't mean anything.

Yeah, even though the Marina in that picture is still really light even for a pastel color, the plush isn't even in the same ballpark.

NoKisum

Nov 11, 2017
DMV Area, USA
giphy.gif

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Those are rather awful design wise as well. I expected better, whitewashing aside.

SturokBGD

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
You guys have probably never seen it but there's a kid's show called PJ Masks. One of the main characters Catboy is clearly brown skinned but when he puts his costume on - the form that's of course used for all the merchandising - his skin visibly changes colour. On some of the toys my daughter has, including a big plushie, his skin is whiter than mine. The reason why is obvious. It makes me angry.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I swear that the Marina plushie is actually a pale shade of green if you really look at it. It looks like someone accidentally left it in the washing machine.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Just in case someone, for some reason, doesn't know what she looks like normally:

latest

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Not cool. I see fan artists do this sometimes, too, and it's always extremely irksome. Of course, you understand why they'd do this.

shadow2810

Oct 25, 2017

Basically they fucked up with the color palette by making everything pale af (brown for eye part instead of black, yellow for skin instead of brown etc.)

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Dismissing concerns surrounding racism; excusing white-washing on the basis of intent

Basically they fucked up with the color palette by making everything pale af (brown for eye part instead of black, yellow for skin instead of brown etc.)

Yeah, so overreaction too much. It's just that both plushies are too bright.

For another example this is an official artwork by Nintendo:

WncOvBd.jpg

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
Everything is washed out though. She's still darker than Pearl.

No. everything is a little washed out, but not close to the same degree as Marina's skin. Look at her clothes for instance. Still very clearly black, just a slightly faded black. If her skin was a slightly faded dark brown, people would let it slide.

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Yes, she's still darker than Pearl, but that's not the point. It's an extremely common thing for black characters (and even real life Black people) to have their skin "lightened up". TV Tropes even has a trope about this with numerous examples:

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ButNotTooBlack

So even though Marina is still slightly darker than Pearl, the fact that she was lightened up is basically sending a message that her skin tone was unacceptable.