• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to wait and see if there's a darker version of it. I'm hoping it's supposed to be someone else but I doubt it'll be the case

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
It's called pastel colors, on both dolls. The only way for Marina to look darker is to not have gone with pastel colors. But they wanted pastel colors. So it's either whitewash or not-so-kewl regular colors and they chose the former. It still sucks

This is a sample range of pastel-friendly skintones for a decent range of ethnicities. Each has a corresponding Pantone, which can be purchased as fabrics, inks, or dyes for fabrics. They have polyester thread color-matches as well, which are common for mass-produced embroidery. I don't think Marina's whitening was caused by choosing pastel colors. There are plenty of options beyond what I have here, but simply put, choosing an appropriate skin tone was not a design challenge.

untitled-1hkkrv.png

To help illustrate how similar the colors they arrived at are in terms of lightness, this is one section each from the Marina and Pearl figures with the color desaturated (it's roughly on the forehead for Marina, and sort of on the cheek for Pearl, just because the lighting was most similar in those spots):

untitled-220k7h.jpg

Last edited:

Resilient

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to help you with this, then stop engaging because you're so defensive on this it's seeming like you're not coming to it with any sort of open mind (while also insisting that you don't have an opinion on it): Nintendo has already done this in the past in physical products, and they've done the corollary as well where to represent a character that's been "corrupted," they darken the normally light/white skin tone into what most would consider the "black" range. There's no retort you can make to that, because it's true. And even in a corporate pipeline, changes like this can be pushed through or justified in plenty of ways where the result is the same, and it's very, very uncommon for it to be an accident. And monumentally less so when the company is promoting photos of the final product like this.

You're insisting this was an accident, and I've presented you with process reasons why that would be very unlikely, and the precedent of this company having done it before, in both directions. It's why people are regarding it as whitewashing; because it is.

no, i'm insisting that it's probably not intentional as you are making it out to be, because to do so doesn't make sense.

why would they alienate their fanbase?
for what purpose?
everybody loves these two characters as they are. marina especially so.
in all my time reading about Splatoon 2 on twitter, reading japanese responses to tweets from NoJ, have I seen somebody comment about her being too black. are they out there? i'm sure there are a few racist people, sure. but definitely not the majority, because i've read a lot and seen very little of that opinion.
so why white wash her like you're saying?

i'm not surprised you're backing out, because i called you out for it, and you can't back it up. you like many others in here...can't answer any of my questions. just retorting with, "it's white washing, because !" and combo-ing with sweeping generalisations of an entire country. lol.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
The problem is the plush (maybe the shitty lighting, maybe the shitty recolouring of the material used for the face) but the sanrio design is clearly not whitewashed, both characters are using pastel colours and marina still has her dark skin.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Tbh, that is something very USA centric. Never heard of it before the old forum people talked about it.

As for the plushie... Why?

Black History month is a thing in the UK too, different month though. That said I agree insofar as, why would Japan, an East Asian country with no significant Black population or history with Africa celebrate or observe Black History month? Let's not be silly now.

I'm also not too convinced that this is straight up white washing as both characters are using pastel colours, and you can clearly see in the artwork that Marina is still darker. Interesting that she's darker in her official render than she is in some of the official game illustrations.

That's me trying not to be cynical, although you never know with a country like Japan *sigh*

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yep, japan still tryin to not like ganguro

There was some anime a few years back that had a ganguro character that had their skin lightened the heck up before it aired.
Wat

Marina's not supposed to be ganguro.

Edit: Oh, sorry, I thought you meant the fashion trend.

S2KTeDDy

Jan 22, 2018

I hope you know the context of this gif. That guy is the most famous black dude in S.Korea and is of legend status over there. I really hated it when that gif went viral with people not knowing who he was. He has done a lot for making that country learn more about black people in general.

Also, that plushie is abysmal. The whitewashing is blatant.

The same thing also happened recently a week or 2 ago with Naomi Osaka being whitewashed in a commercial based on Prince of Tennis. Its messed up.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-46986366

Resilient

Oct 25, 2017
Are you for real right now?

I get that people want to defend something they like but this is pretty sad.

posts like yours...they suck.

assuming i'm here because I like splatoon?
assuming i'm defending "it"?

i get that people want to attack something they don't like but this is pretty sad <<<< I can do the same thing. it doesn't add anything to the convo.

thank you though.

Resilient

Oct 25, 2017
The same thing also happened recently a week or 2 ago with Naomi Osaka being whitewashed in a commercial based on Prince of Tennis. Its messed up.

yes, this is whitewashing.

as was this https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-45479954 which was an embarrassment, and that cartoonist is a racist fuckwit with a long history of shit like that.

plushie...not so much. there are many other things wrong with the style of BOTH those plushies, enough for me to say they just fucked them up.

anyway..happy to engage with anybody else about this, but i'm signing off for now. PM me if you really care.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
posts like yours...they suck.

assuming i'm here because I like splatoon?
assuming i'm defending "it"?

i get that people want to attack something they don't like but this is pretty sad <<<< I can do the same thing. it doesn't add anything to the convo.

thank you though.
Not as much as yours suck.

Here is what you said:

Looking at the picture posted in #51, I'm not seeing the issue?? it's a lighter shade?

oh, forgot you gotta get a hot take in first before reading the thread..

You don't see the issue, you think people are posting hot takes on legitimate issues without understanding the context. What is the context for making a black skinned character whiter exactly? Even post 51 doesn't defend nor say anything about the skin tone of the plushie and yet you picked it as some kind of proof that it is not a problem.

On the "like" comment, I take it back. You are right on that front.

Resilient

Oct 25, 2017
Not as much as yours suck.

Here is what you said:

You don't see the issue, you think people are posting hot takes on legitimate issues without understanding the context. What is the context for making a black skinned character whiter exactly? Even post 51 doesn't defend nor say anything about the skin tone of the plushie and yet you picked it as some kind of proof that it is not a problem.

On the "like" comment, I take it back. You are right on that front.

Post 51 was an actual image of it, which is darker than the promo material. So the plushie itself is darker. Is it the right tone? No. But I don't think it's white washing. I'm not hand waving. I don't think it's right people are coming in here and saying it's definitely white washing, when it doesn't make sense for Nintendo or Sanrio to do so. Like...why would they do that? For what purpose/goal? Doing so hurts their bottom line.

Whitewashing is a problem and there are examples of it coming from japan, the Naomi Osaka ones posted above are examples of it. But I don't think this is one of them.

I appreciate you taking back that "like" comment.

Emmert

Banned
Oct 23, 2018
Looking at the picture posted in #51, I'm not seeing the issue?? it's a lighter shade?

oh, forgot you gotta get a hot take in first before reading the thread..

I don't think it's a "hot take" for people to be upset that one of the few dark skinned characters in a Nintendo game is presented as light skinned. Colorism and whitewashing are big problems. I think your post is grossly dismissive.

S2KTeDDy

Jan 22, 2018
plushie...not so much. there are many other things wrong with the style of BOTH those plushies, enough for me to say they just fucked them up.

Not so much? They could of made the skin material darker to reflect the source material. Its as simple as that. I doubt it was a conscious fuck up on their part.

DOMO GYU

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 20, 2018
User Banned (Duration Pending): Dismissing concerns surrounding racism and antagonizing other members; account still in junior phase
We live in great times, where everyone who wants to feel offended, can pretty much find something to do so. No one has to go away empty-handed.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Post 51 was an actual image of it, which is darker than the promo material. So the plushie itself is darker. Is it the right tone? No. But I don't think it's white washing. I'm not hand waving. I don't think it's right people are coming in here and saying it's definitely white washing, when it doesn't make sense for Nintendo or Sanrio to do so. Like...why would they do that? For what purpose/goal? Doing so hurts their bottom line.

For one, the art they used doesn't even have the same art as the game. It was way lighter which the plushie used. If it was darker but the plushie was whiter then yeah I could understand it being some kind of mistake.

There is also a lot of different examples of Nintendo doing this kind bullshit. Hell I don't even need to look back much, check out the Smash mess they had a couple of months back.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
The plush doesn't look as bad in person, going by those photos, but it's still pretty bad. I kinda get what they were trying to go for, at least

I figure they just went with whatever one designer thought was cute and no one at Nintendo or Sanrio raised an eyebrow. The Black History Month timing is just especially unfortunate.

i-Jest

Oct 25, 2017
Japan: diversity is hard.

On the real though, the plush looks like a really light brown. I don't want to say one way or the other what the intentions were behind that choice, but I think we now have the technology to make something like this more in line with what the character looks like. Does Japan care about proper representation when it comes to this? Likely not for better or worse.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
This is a sample range of pastel-friendly skintones for a decent range of ethnicities. Each has a corresponding Pantone, which can be purchased as fabrics, inks, or dyes for fabrics. They have polyester thread color-matches as well, which are common for mass-produced embroidery. I don't think Marina's whitening was caused by choosing pastel colors. There are plenty of options beyond what I have here, but simply put, choosing an appropriate skin tone was not a design challenge.

untitled-1hkkrv.png

To help illustrate how similar the colors they arrived at are in terms of lightness, this is one section each from the Marina and Pearl figures with the color desaturated (it's roughly on the forehead for Marina, and sort of on the cheek for Pearl, just because the lighting was most similar in those spots):

untitled-220k7h.jpg
I see what you mean. They have no excuse really. But in my experience -artists I know personally, others I follow in different places- sometimes they just simply omit the darker tones. Doesn't matter if it's brown, red or blue, they only go for the lightest tones because they're looking for a very desaturated/light palette.

Needles to say I don't have a clue on what they were after, but it could have been fixed easily by choosing a slightly darker thread for the lines that would allow Marina's skin tone to be darker and still look good in that pastel palette

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
I hope you know the context of this gif. That guy is the most famous black dude in S.Korea and is of legend status over there. I really hated it when that gif went viral with people not knowing who he was. He has done a lot for making that country learn more about black people in general.

Also, that plushie is abysmal. The whitewashing is blatant.

What's his name?

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Clearly a screwup cause the colors are washed out, considering the correct colors are right there on the right in the same pic.

Not worth putting up pitchforks over for sure.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Jesus that looks fucking awful. It looks bad enough in the art on the right side, but then they whitewashed her further in the actual product. It isn't even recognizable as the same character.

Raiden

Nov 6, 2017
The very definition of whitewashed, that plush has been in the machine 24hours straight 7/7

Mizavari

Jan 19, 2018
Huh. Why are people throwing around accusations of 'white'-washing against an Asian country? The Japanese aren't white, they're yellow-ish. For aesthetic reasons, they prefer paler skin tones for everything. All of their supposedly Japanese anime characters for example have white skin, and you don't see them accusing themselves of 'white'-washing anime.

Nintendo has more racial diversity in their games now because their games are marketed internationally. But are these plushies being sold anywhere outside of Japan? You are all making a lot of fuss over another country's local products.

Feb 13, 2018
Japan
It's fucked up, but they probably thought this made her "cuter."

...Also I know this is terrible, but the first thing I thought of when I saw it was the part in Arrested Development where Franklin goes through the washer and comes out white.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
Huh. Why are people throwing around accusations of 'white'-washing against an Asian country? The Japanese aren't white, they're yellow-ish. For aesthetic reasons, they prefer paler skin tones for everything. All of their supposedly Japanese anime characters for example have white skin, and you don't see them accusing themselves of 'white'-washing anime.

Nintendo has more racial diversity in their games now because their games are marketed internationally. But are these plushies being sold anywhere outside of Japan? You are all making a lot of fuss over another country's local products.

Don't get too caught up on the semantics of the term. This is absolutely a problem.

Annoying Old Party Man

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Both plushies look like they spent too much time in the laundry.

So toy companies make black Nintendo characters whiter to make them more desirable to the general public? What's going on?

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017

Semantices the argument. Call it colorism because Japan has a huge problem with it as do many Asian countries. It's fucked up, don't downplay it.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Yeah, so overreaction too much. It's just that both plushies are too bright.
Overreaction? They clearly made her more pale than the artwork saw above. I had no idea who this character was, but yeah they bleached her skin and it's noticeable, the artwork as well.

Whitewashing is a problem and there are examples of it coming from japan, the Naomi Osaka ones posted above are examples of it. But I don't think this is one of them.

Oh come the fuck on, not whitewashing? A person who doesn't know shit about Splatoon won't look the plushie and say "Ah yes, that's a black character". People handwaving this shit away is why Japan keeps getting away with shit like this.
I remember there was a topic about the Ace Attorney anime, where an episode made references to a Capcom game and the character that was black in the game was whitewashed in the episode.

Was it done so intentionally? We don't know

Why are people assuming it was done in bad faith?
So basically the same excuse people use to defend blackface, I get it.

Last edited:

Mizavari

Jan 19, 2018
User Banned (2 Weeks): Rationalizing racism, inflammatory false equivalencies, and antagonizing other members
Semantices the argument. Call it colorism because Japan has a huge problem with it as do many Asian countries. It's fucked up, don't downplay it.
Yeah? Pardon me for not raising a big fuss over the colours of local TOYS. Would you also make a fuss if African countries made skin tones darker for local toys? For example, if they used a completely black shade for people who only have light-brown skin? Because this is essentially what you are all doing.

In Japan, anime characters tend to look more Western-ish (including eye or hair color) but in reality they prefer their own Asian looks. Conversely, there are many gay comics in Japan, but the actual society is still quite intolerant towards homosexuals. Japan is also hentai-land but the Japanese themselves are extremely prudish.

In other words, fictional representations in Japan has nothing to do with their attitudes in reality. A whiter local toy isn't necessarily indicative of racism, nor is a darker shade necessarily indicative of more acceptance. Chances are the matter of race was just not on the radars of the plushie makers. Sure there are some plushies in darker tones. Those are either cats or bears and have nothing to do with racial representation. Most of the other plushies have light tones because that's just what they enjoy.

Dizzy Ukulele

Oct 28, 2017
From the images posted, I struggle to come away thinking any kind of thought, care or attention went into making those plushies.

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
We live in great times, where everyone who wants to feel offended, can pretty much find something to do so. No one has to go away empty-handed.
People bring offended by whitewashing is not a new thing at all.

For example, there was backlash to this in 2012:
4f8ee56969bedd21180000a5-750.jpg

http://m.tmz.com/#!2012/04/18/acura-nsx-super-bowl-commercial-seinfeld-light-skinned-black-casting/

And this in 2009:
http://nymag.com/daily/movies/2009/11/when_push_comes_to_shove--and.html

And this in 2008:
Beyonce-loreal-resize.jpg

http://m.tmz.com/#!2008/08/06/loreal-beyonce-whitewash/

This is nothing new at all. In fact, this is a subject that's been talked about in the black community for many years prior to that. I'm very happy that there seems to be more people supporting us when we call stuff like this out, and it's a shame when others people end up dismissing the very long standing concerns about this practice as "outrage" or as just looking for something to be offended by.

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Whitewashing has been done on this instance. Whitewashing is racist. Defending whitewashing is dumb. Defending whitewashing because it's some company makes you dumber.

Mickagau

Dec 11, 2018
France
That's sad but not surprising for Japan unfortunately. I was surprised in the first place Nintendo chose to make black/brown characters as the faces of Splatoon 2 (default inkling girl, default octoling girl, Marina) which is their biggest IP in Japan right now. I actually thought it was kind of bold and progressist of them from a Japanese viewpoint. But there have been a lot of whitewashing in the art they use (splatfest, promo art etc)

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
There isn't a trace of brown on that plush's skin. It's not overexposed or too bright, it's literally white. What the fuck.

Surprised to see posters attempting to defend this at all.

Velezcora

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Japan has incredibly racist beauty standards.

It's not even just Japan. It's East Asia in general views white skin is seen as the highest form of beauty. From what I read it's because white skin was associated with the upper class who didn't work in the field and thus didn't tan. People in Asia don't really see it as a race thing but it's still shitty.

KratosEnergyDrink

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Strange.

People who like Splatoon 2 and want to get such toys probably want something that resembles the original characters, but this plushies looks nothing like them.

Did they really feared that a dark skinned doll would not sell to an audience that adored the game?