• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
ゲームのポケモン能力、不正に書き換えた疑い 男を逮捕:朝日新聞デジタル (asahi.com)
xdETbhhK

According to this article from Asahi, a 23 year old man from Minami-ku, Nagoya violated the law by hacking and altering save data for Pokémon Sword & Shield. He admits the charges.

In April last year, he responded to a request from a 36 year old man in Kyoto to receive a Sobble. The accusation is that he modified details with his PC and sent the Sobble to the man in exchange for 4,400 yen. It is believed that the man has earned 1.15 million yen (approximately $10,000) for doing this service from November.

Currently no details on any fine and/or additional punishments (unless I missed it)

It's worth noting in Japan the editing of save data and distribution of edited data is illegal as of 2019

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Kind of wild that such minor thing is enough to give someone jail time in Japan. I knew they had laws against editing saves, but I figured it would be, like, a fine. Damn.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Wait, so if someone edited their Bloodborne save to play at 60 fps in Japan, they could go to jail?

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You can be arrested for that?

Dumb as hell. I Pokehex'd the shit out of my gen 5/6/7 mons.

OP
OP
Serebii

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Wait, so if someone edited their Bloodborne save to play at 60 fps in Japan, they could go to jail?
In technicality yes, in practice it's most likely only going to be enforced in following scenarios

a) If person edits save and competes in esports with said save
b) Offers a save editing service
c) Distributes software or hardware to allow people to edit saves

Fiksi

Oct 27, 2017
I guess it doesn't help that he's making money off it? Seems intense though.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Wait editing save data is illegal in japan? what the fuck? I though the illegal bit would be making money off pokemon IP, not editing saves.

AnimaRize

Banned
Nov 7, 2020
I've known about this law for a while, hacking is illegal in japan and mods are still considered hacking. Usually it doesn't get jail time just a fine if you are found out but it's a pretty big fine not really a small parking ticket fine, but most of the time they don't actually care enough to enforce it. That said this guy was also using it to make money which is why he got jailed for it

ryan13ts

Oct 28, 2017
Good Lord this is so moronic. What a waste of time/resources to chase and arrest someone dealing in 'shinies'.... How evil, he must be stopped! *eye roll*

God, the stupid keeps snowballing the more I think about it.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
You can be arrested for illegally making money on counterfeit goods based on intellectual properties you don't own in most countries of the world yes.

Even though hacking for personal use is seemingly not allowed in Japan (unlike US) I doubt he'd have been arrested if it wasn't for his business.

I just checked and there's people selling shinies at eBay

Kuga

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Utterly inane law. As far as I'm concerned, editing data / cheating in a single player game is victimless, and, while morally reprehensible, cheating in a multiplayer game should be policed by the developer or entity that provides the online services (e.g., Nintendo in this case). Why in the world should the government be involved?

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
You can be arrested for illegally making money on counterfeit goods based on intellectual properties you don't own in most countries of the world yes.

Even though hacking for personal use is seemingly not allowed in Japan (unlike US) I doubt he'd have been arrested if it wasn't for his business.
This is true, but the excuse for the arrest is still hacking save data at the end of the day. I dont think thats a valid reason for an arrest at all, even selling them would not be enough imo. Its not like hes eating into Nintendos money too, they dont sell shinies either and you need pokemon and a switch to use the shinies the guy sold.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Japan has some intense copyright laws. Isn't game rentals illegal there?

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is true, but the excuse for the arrest is still hacking save data at the end of the day. I dont think thats a valid reason for an arrest at all, even selling them would not be enough imo. Its not like hes eating into Nintendos money too, they dont sell shinies either and you need pokemon and a switch to use the shinies the guy sold.

I do think it is reprehensible to charge 4500 yen people (which is what, 40$?) a hacked shiny pokémon. It's exploitation of guillible people, similar to the business of selling aimbots, game hacks etc. Arresting is definitely abusive but considering how aggressive TPC is about that I'm not very surprised.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
I dunno how anyone can defend this. Who cares if it's the law? Even if he was cheating in multiplayer or some shit or selling off perfect IV shinies or something, that still shouldn't be arrestable or even a fine. It's a video game.

Japan has way bigger problems in terms of law (people like Watsuki getting away with a slap on the wrist while people found doing weed lose their job and go to prison)