• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

matt1996

May 24, 2019
Software Sales
1. [NSW] Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes – 97,538 / NEW

2. [NSW] Nintendo Switch Sports – 19,255 / 512,301
3. [NSW] Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba – The Hinokami Chronicles – 10,663 / 122,512
4. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – 9,261 / 4,691,651
5. [NSW] Kirby and the Forgotten Land – 8,239 / 777,810
6. [NSW] Mario Strikers: Battle League – 7,688 / 52,863
7. [NSW] Ring Fit Adventure – 7,437 / 3,188,728
8. [NSW] Minecraft – 7,095 / 2,684,472
9. [NSW] Animal Crossing: New Horizons – 4,621 / 7,272,811
10. [NSW] Super Smash Bros. Ultimate – 4,449 / 4,909,639

Hardware Sales
Switch OLED – 28,267
Switch – 19,089
Switch Lite – 9,193
PS5 – 7,257
PS5 Digital Edition – 1,924
Xbox Series X – 4,881
Xbox Series S – 4,034
New 2DS LL – 141
PS4 – 17

nintendoeverything.com

Famitsu sales (6/20/22 - 6/26/22)

The latest Japanese hardware sales from Famitsu are as follows: Switch OLED – 28,267 Switch – 19,089 Switch Lite – 9,193 PS5 – 7,257 Xbox Series X – 4,881 Xbox Series S – 4,034 PS5 Digital Edition – 1,924 New 2DS LL – 141 PS4 – 17 For comparison’s sake, here are the hardware numbers from last...

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Total number of PS5s sold last week: 9,181
Total number of Xbox Series units sold last week: 8,915

While not as humiliating as last week (where both flavours of Series outsold the combined PS5 total), the fact that the PS5 sold only 266 more units than the Xboxes should alarm Sony.

(For reference, combined number of Switches sold last week: 56,549, or more than six times the number of PS5s sold)

TheAggroCraig

One Winged Slayer
Nov 6, 2017
I'm really surprised Mario Strikers is so low, but I can't say I follow the history of sales on Mario sports games anywhere... nor do I myself care about Mario Strikers or any of the other Mario sports games lol.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Is that good for Fire Emblem?
About average to poor I guess. Other random musou comparisons:

Samurai Warriors 5: 94k (Switch + PS4)
Age of Calamity: 173k (Switch)
Persona 5 Strikers: 160k (Switch + PS4)
Fire Emblem Warriors: 60k (Switch + 3DS)
Pirate Warriors 4: 138k (Switch + PS4)
Warriors Orochi 4: 127k (Switch + PS4)

Finiri6143

Mar 16, 2022
About average to poor I guess. Other random musou comparisons:

Samurai Warriors 5: 94k (Switch + PS4)
Age of Calamity: 173k (Switch)
Persona 5 Strikers: 160k (Switch + PS4)
Fire Emblem Warriors: 60k (Switch + 3DS)
Pirate Warriors 4: 138k (Switch + PS4)
Warriors Orochi 4: 127k (Switch + PS4)
It may not be that great, but I wouldn't call this poor or average either.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
It may not be that great, but I wouldn't call this poor or average either.
Keep in mind the Samurai Warriors and Orochi numbers were disappointing because they saw sizeable falls from previous mainline entries.

FE will probably do better in the West though anyway, because iirc Three Houses didn't see much growth in Japan compared to the rest of the world.

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017
Series on a roll and even outselling their own numbers from last week.

CubeApple76

Jan 20, 2021
Xbox Series X|S only having one week under 5K for almost the last 3 months is a great thing to see. Can't wait for the day it surpasses the original Xbox.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really surprised Mario Strikers is so low, but I can't say I follow the history of sales on Mario sports games anywhere... nor do I myself care about Mario Strikers or any of the other Mario sports games lol.
In Japan, the Strikers series has always been the weakest of the three main sports series despite being the globally strongest pre-Switch. Battle League very likely opened better than Charged, but that game managed to leg it out to 240k in the end. This one's probably got a decent digital split though since it peaked way higher than Demon Slayer on eShop around its release, and is a voucher game.

Finiri6143

Mar 16, 2022
Okay, whatever, it was a huge success. Amazing. You've won me over.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Amigo relax. I'm not trying to argue or make a fuss. It just confuses me why some people make certain games sales more disappointing than what it actually is. Like I can understand with games like Mario Strikers Battle League or Bayonetta 1 & 2.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Total number of PS5s sold last week: 9,181
Total number of Xbox Series units sold last week: 8,915

While not as humiliating as last week (where both flavours of Series outsold the combined PS5 total), the fact that the PS5 sold only 266 more units than the Xboxes should alarm Sony.

(For reference, combined number of Switches sold last week: 56,549, or more than six times the number of PS5s sold)
Selling everything that has shipped is alarming?

dudu0609

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Next week, Xbox Series X|S shall surpass 250K (LTD) in Japan.
Happy for Team Xbox.
And hope more JP games can come to the platform, even late ports.

ZSaberLink

Oct 26, 2017
There were roughly 90% less Switch systems sold though :P
While true, that's not quite how things work. Core games usually don't need a huge install base to support selling better. Your core players will likely buy a system early on if they want to play the title. If your argument was that 3 houses helped the sales of 3 hopes, that I could see.

The new FE warriors game has basically outsold the Lifetime sales of the first fe warriors in Japan. (99K across both platforms). It's a success by that metric. 3DS had a huge install base, but folks didn't care too much to buy it on there even in 2017.

Tigerfish419

Oct 28, 2021
As someone who doesn't know much about the Japanese market and this might be a dumb question but are JRPGs an important genre for gamers there because I find it interesting Xbox selling fairly well there even with JRPGs and such still skipping the platform. I also wonder if more console sales in Japan would mean less JRPGs skipping Xbox.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
Selling everything that has shipped is alarming?
Come on...it's clear now the supply issues are lightening and it's Sony that did a bad job and securing parts and paying more for manufacturing.

It's a bad sign because Xbox sales will only increase from here. Then what happens when the new Switch comes next year?

As someone who doesn't know much about the Japanese market and this might be a dumb question but are JRPGs an important genre for gamers there because I find it interesting Xbox selling fairly well there even with JRPGs and such still skipping the platform. I also wonder if more console sales in Japan would mean less JRPGs skipping Xbox.
JRPGs aren't an important genre anywhere, and hasn't been for almost 2 decades. It's a big reason behind Sony's western adventure game strategy. Even big JRPGs like FFXIII and DQXI are not setting the world on fire...in comparison to the average multiplayer game or realistic graphical single player adventure games.

If anything, JRPG devs are telling us that their games are much more successful in Western markets. Disgaea is an example of a popular JRPG first released 20 years ago...that is now almost wholly dependent on Western sales.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if I'd put one genre of the other. JRPGs have larger openings but no tails. an evergreen rpg is pretty rare. as for less rpgs skipping the xbox, maybe? it's that chicken or egg question, but as distant as xbox is right now, they would be more interested in making a switch version if they're looking for higher sales

Tigerfish419

Oct 28, 2021
JRPGs aren't an important genre anywhere, and hasn't been for almost 2 decades. It's a big reason behind Sony's western adventure game strategy. Even big JRPGs like FFXIII and DQXI are not setting the world on fire...in comparison to the average multiplayer game or realistic graphical single player adventure games.

If anything, JRPG devs are telling us that their games are much more successful in Western markets. Disgaea is an example of a popular JRPG first released 20 years ago...that is now almost wholly dependent on Western sales.

heh you'll probably get yelled at for saying that, it has really felt like a loud hardcore audience talking about it as if it's the only thing that matters. Sure all genres matter, but I do think FPS, MP and action story games are the most popular and if you have great games in those genres most will be happy.

Anyway the Xbox sales in Japan are a cool sign of how things could go this gen for Xbox there, if they are in a drought of games right now and they can sell nearly 10k consoles (which is a lot for Xbox) that's a pretty good sign.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
heh you'll probably get yelled at for saying that, it has really felt like a loud hardcore audience talking about it as if it's the only thing that matters. Sure all genres matter, but I do think FPS, MP and action story games are the most popular and if you have great games in those genres most will be happy.

Anyway the Xbox sales in Japan are a cool sign of how things could go this gen for Xbox there, if they are in a drought of games right now and they can sell nearly 10k consoles (which is a lot for Xbox) that's a pretty good sign.
Well I hope not...this is a sales thread and that loud hardcore audience must notice how JRPG fall off these charts after only one or maybe two weeks 😂

Faiyaz

Nov 30, 2017
Bangladesh

All these statements are almost factually/objectively incorrect (except maybe the Disgaea one, not sure about that). And Final Fantasy has had three mainline entries since XIII, just fyi.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
All these statements are factually/objectively incorrect. And Final Fantasy has had three mainline entries since XIII, just fyi.
And what are the sales on all those games? This is a sales thread, don't get emotional.

Do you know how rare it is for a JRPG to reach even 2 million in sales?

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
I know this is a sales thread, and I don't know how you detected my emotion through a screen.
So where are the sales to back up your post? I don't know why it wasn't the core of your response besides saying "factually/objectively incorrect"...that's what makes it come across as emotional

Faiyaz

Nov 30, 2017
Bangladesh
So where are the sales to back up your post? I don't know why it wasn't the core of your response besides saying "factually/objectively incorrect"...that's what makes it come across as emotional

JRPGs aren't an important genre anywhere, and hasn't been for almost 2 decades.

This is factually wrong.

Pokemon SwSh: 3rd highest selling in the series with 24 million copies.

FF XV: 4th highest selling in the series with over 10 million copies (not boosted by re-releases).

DQ XI: Best selling in the series, 6.5 million copies.

Tales of Arise: 3rd best selling in the series as of September 2021, probably close to being the best-selling now.

Persona 5: Best selling in the series with 6.5 million copies (Royal included).

Kingdom Hearts 3: Best selling in the series, 6.7 million copies.

Nier Automata: 6.5 million copies.

SMT V: Over 1 million copies, best selling in the series.

I probably wasted too much time for a futile discussion, you can look up the other stuff yourself.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
This is factually wrong.

FF XV: 4th highest selling in the series with over 10 million copies (not boosted by re-releases).

Tales of Arise: 3rd best selling in the series as of September 2021, probably close to being the best-selling now.

I probably wasted too much time for a futile discussion, you can look up the other stuff yourself.
You listed 8 games...that's the point. Best selling in the series doesn't mean anything when you need go back to Nier Automata to justify your point in a June 2022 sales thread.

So yes...MOST MODERN JRPGs struggle to pass two million. Were any of those games you mentioned released in the last year?

jman2050

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
CC2 really messed up bad not having Demon Slayer on the Switch day and date if these numbers are any indication.

Hazuki_X

Dec 11, 2021
Can someone explain the turnaround for Xbox in Japan? Like how is the brand doing so much better than last gen over there?

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Why do people keep using arguments like this? Arguments like this is very flawed most of the time?
Man, the education system really failed hard here. That's not how attach rates work.
Ok, I don't mind outing myself as a dummy. Someone explain to me why this logic doesn't work? Cuz it makes intuitive sense to me, but I admit I don't understand these things very well. When directly comparing absolute first week unit sales, it seems like "attach rate" and total number of consoles is a pretty relevant context qualifier. Like why doesn't install base matter?

Is the counter-argument something like, "Yes, the install base was smaller, but most of the people who were going to buy FE games - whether mainline or warriors - were definitely among those first adopters." or maybe "Yes, the install base was smaller, but the people who were buying Switches in year 1 were the super fans who were likely to buy these games regardless, so the fact that sales weren't that high back then..."

I confused myself as I was writing that out, sorry lol. Yea, something just not clicking here for me. Why ISN'T this a reasonable argument? Honestly asking, since it seems I'm missing something super obvious.

This is factually wrong.

While I agree that many JRPGs are doing great, I don't think this logically refutes the argument made. The statement was that JRPGs "fall off the charts" quickly, which means that the data needs to show now that JRPGs are selling better than ever (which, they very well might be), but that they sell better than OTHER genres and have generalized staying power.

Right?

Tigerfish419

Oct 28, 2021
It's extremely rare for most games in any genre to reach 2 million in sales ...

I actually think we're in a time that it's actually the opposite to what you are saying, I think there hasn't been another time where games can pop off and sell a ton and even from single developers, i would argue games hit those sorts of numbers all the time.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can someone explain the turnaround for Xbox in Japan? Like how is the brand doing so much better than last gen over there?
probably MS actually trying a little bit more than they have with the Xbox One. they've been doing some promotion like with some vtubers and such. don't remember major promos with the Ones

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, I don't mind outing myself as a dummy. Someone explain to me why this logic doesn't work? Cuz it makes intuitive sense to me, but I admit I don't understand these things very well. When directly comparing absolute first week unit sales, it seems like "attach rate" and total number of consoles is a pretty relevant context qualifier. Like why doesn't install base matter?

Is the counter-argument something like, "Yes, the install base was smaller, but most of the people who were going to buy FE games - whether mainline or warriors - were definitely among those first adopters." or maybe "Yes, the install base was smaller, but the people who were buying Switches in year 1 were the super fans who were likely to buy these games regardless, so the fact that sales weren't that high back then..."

I confused myself as I was writing that out, sorry lol. Yea, something just not clicking here for me. Why ISN'T this a reasonable argument? Honestly asking, since it seems I'm missing something super obvious.
I think the main thing is you can't say Game X came out when the Switch had 1 million units sold, then Game X2 comes out a few years later when the Switch has sold 10 million units and expect there to be a linear correlation between Switch units sold and Game X and Game X2.

Bigger install base normally helps games with larger appeal stay evergreen in markets. That is why you see Mario Kart 8 Deluxe still charting, or Minecraft, or Grand Theft Auto V, etc. It doesn't help a niche genre grow equally. Normally a game in a niche genre or part of a smaller franchise will have fans adopt when the first game comes out and if nothing changes significantly before a sequel they will sell in the same ballpark.