• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

matt1996

May 24, 2019
Software Sales
1. [NSW] Splatoon 3 – 506,610 / 2,441,290
2. [NSW] Dragon Quest X Offline – 143,836 / NEW
3. [PS4] Dragon Quest X Offline – 48,100 / NEW
4. [PS5] Dragon Quest X Offline – 28,371 / NEW

5. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – 9,661 / 4,837,415
6. [NSW] Nintendo Switch Sports – 7,463 / 732,175
7. [NSW] Trinity Trigger – 6,698 / NEW
8. [NSW] Minecraft – 6,629 / 2,792,678
9. [NSW] Kirby and the Forgotten Land – 5,027 / 888,934
10. [NSW] Super Smash Bros. Ultimate – 4,720 / 4,976,532

Hardware Sales

Switch OLED – 96,889
Switch – 25,683
Switch Lite – 4,986
Xbox Series S – 13,211
Xbox Series X – 866
PS5 – 8,739
PS5 Digital Edition – 2,441
New 2DS LL – 29
PS4 – 12

nintendoeverything.com

Famitsu sales (9/12/22 - 9/18/22)

The latest Japanese hardware sales from Famitsu are as follows: Switch OLED – 96,889 Switch – 25,683 Xbox Series S – 13,211 PS5 – 8,739 Switch Lite – 4,986 PS5 Digital Edition – 2,441 Xbox Series X – 866 New 2DS LL – 29 PS4 – 12 For comparison’s sake, here are the hardware numbers from last...

kimbo99

Feb 21, 2021
Xbox still pushing along and topping PS5 this week. Good hold for Splat and great opening for DQ.

I don't think Xbox will get to Sony levels in Japan, but they look like they can start to hold their own again like during the 360 era(1M+ this gen).

GDGF

Oct 26, 2017
Holy crap thats like 125,000 Switches sold. And the DQ charting is interesting as hell.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
DQ10O will be hit hard with shortages it seems. digital is gonna turn out

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
That's a pretty incredible amount for Xbox. I wonder if my theory that they withheld consoles (specifically Series S) until PS5's price increase to market the hell out of the value of Xbox consoles was true.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Series S topping combined PS5 sales after a weak last week units wise shows the impact of the promotional pricing timed with the PS5 price increase. Basically direct correlation. Will be interesting to see the second and final promotion week numbers and how they compare.

Swoled is nuts. Dq seemed to have a decent launch. Splatoon is nuts.

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
That's a pretty incredible amount for Xbox. I wonder if my theory that they withheld consoles (specifically Series S) until PS5's price increase to market the hell out of the value of Xbox consoles was true.
Pretty sure they also had a promotion that buying an Xbox gets you a 5000 yen giftcard too.

Aurora

Jul 22, 2018
Lemuria

Also worth noting that this week was also when they were running a promo with the Series S:

www.resetera.com

Japan: Get a 5000 yen gift card when you buy a Xbox Series S - September 16, 2022 to Friday, September 30, 2022

https://news.xbox.com/ja-jp/2022/09/16/xbox-series-s-campaign-program/ Thats arround 35 bucks i believe

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Total Switch sales: 127,558 (83.45%)
Total Xbox sales: 14,077 (9.21%)
Total PS5 sales: 11,180 (7.31%)
The rest: 41 (0.02%)
Total: 152,856

GamingCJ

Apr 14, 2019
Big doubt on that Xbox number, considering Media Create's Xbox LTD numbers aren't even 50% of Famitsus.

Deleted member 35509

Account closed at user request
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Sony is still 2nd place. We are a long way away and many more "Xbox outsells PlayStation this week" from that not being the case.

Yes, this was the week of the price increase. September 15.

Yes on sep 15 it went up 5000 yen

Is the price increase of 5000 yen having an effect on people? I just mean, for some it's probably not much more but I understand if it's kind of offensive to not DECREASE the price after 2 years.

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
Is the price increase of 5000 yen having an effect on people? I just mean, for some it's probably not much more but I understand if it's kind of offensive to not DECREASE the price after 2 years.
Well it doesn't incentivize people to buy it, that's for sure. But they were already hard to get regardless.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Its like 9 to 1 in playstations favour. Xbox narrowly outselling them a couple of times won't change anything.
Sony is still 2nd place. We are a long way away and many more "Xbox outsells PlayStation this week" from that not being the case.
Talking about weekly sales right now.

Change doesnt happen overnight and what is taken for granted might not be the case in future generation.
Sony has the benefit right now of still being able to moneyhat certain JP exclusives, even with that numbers are looking shaky in Japan right now and the news of most systems being outsold/exported to other countries isnt helping.

Sonys piece of the pie is getting smaller and thats without adding a next-generation Switch to the mix.
Its like 2M to 300k lol. Theres no need to fight for sony
Guess you are seeing other charts than i am. Saying there is no need to fight when they have barely any games charting and being outsold by Xbox a couple of times a year seems off to me.

dudu0609

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am thinking it might be better that MS allocates some Series S shipments from Europe to Japan.

Mickagau

Dec 11, 2018
France
So that's around 220 000 physical for DQX. Let say it sold 300 000 total with digital (that's a rough estimate of a 35% ratio for digital).
Honestly, that doesn't seem super strong by DQ standards idk ? Decent but not on par with previous remakes. The last ones did around 585 000 at launch for 8 and 873 000 for 7. They were 3ds exclusives.
Maybe it is the fact X ver 1 mmo is basically given for free in Japan ? Splatoon 3 crushing everything?
Still most jrpg would kill for numbers like that but I was expecting a bit more.

Oct 25, 2017
splatoon 3 is insane lmao

wondering how much is the ceiling for xbox if it had more supply. thinking it could get close to 30k in a week

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
It has the reputation as the more reliable tracker with more tracked stores.
Famitsu didn't have XB1 double the Media Create number, they were basically equal.

Doubting Xbox numbers by Famitsu would also need you to doubt PS5 and NSW as however they get the Xbox number will be the exact same they use for PS5 and NSW.

Also, "more tracked stores" means little if it doesn't track the right stores. Xbox is still niche in availability by retailer in Japan from what I understand, so all it takes is for Xbox to uniquely be available in a few, couple, or even one big retailer(s) that Media Create isn't tracking that Famitsu is.

As far as I know this is the only console that has had such a big gap (proportionally) between Famitsu and Media Create. There has to be underlying factors to the market for one tracker to have wildly different results than the other for this one product but be relatively equal on the other two console families.

GamingCJ

Apr 14, 2019
Famitsu didn't have XB1 double the Media Create number, they were basically equal.

Doubting Xbox numbers by Famitsu would also need you to doubt PS5 and NSW as however they get the Xbox number will be the exact same they use for PS5 and NSW.

Also, "more tracked stores" means little if it doesn't track the right stores. Xbox is still niche in availability by retailer in Japan from what I understand, so all it takes is for Xbox to uniquely be available in a few, couple, or even one big retailer(s) that Media Create isn't tracking that Famitsu is.

As far as I know this is the only console that has had such a big gap (proportionally) between Famitsu and Media Create. There has to be underlying factors to the market for one tracker to have wildly different results than the other for this one product but be relatively equal on the other two console families.
It's definitely odd that Famitsu and Media Create only differ on Xbox numbers.
But I find it unplausible to assume that there exists a secret store, that sells >50% of all Series consoles (>150k units), and that's only tracked by Famitsu.
The more plausible explanation is imo, that Famitsu overestimates Amazon sales. And as Series S seems to be overrepresented on Amazon (as Xbox doesn't have retail store presence, it's mainly sold online), Famitsu only overestimates Series numbers.

Who knows, maybe the truth is somewhere in the middle...

Oct 25, 2017
But I find it unplausible to assume that there exists a secret store, that sells >50% of all Series consoles (>150k units), and that's only tracked by Famitsu.
The more plausible explanation is imo, that Famitsu overestimates Amazon sales. And as Series S seems to be overrepresented on Amazon (as Xbox doesn't have retail store presence, it's mainly sold online), Famitsu only overestimates Series numbers.

pretty sure famitsu doesn't track amazon, though? i also don't think xbox execs would retweet and be happy about famitsu's numbers if they didn't align with reality

anyway, famitsu never goes too far from what the numbers actually are, so even if they are wrong, the margins are probably pretty small.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017

Then PS5 and NSW would be massively overinflated, but when the Media Create totals leaked a bit ago, Famitsu actually had smaller PS5 totals than MC. Also the Amazon estimates wouldn't line up with certain weeks' sales being very low in 2021 at the same time as Amazon placements, so the shift to not even counting it to suddenly estimating massive sales would be strange. This would also affect every piece of software they track.

I'm certain there is a retailer or few that Xbox is in that MC doesn't see. There is no other logical explanation.