• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

matt1996

May 24, 2019
Software Sales
1. [NSW] Story of Seasons: A Wonderful Life – 40,759 / NEW

2. [NSW] Pokemon Scarlet / Violet – 37,265 / 4,776,300
3. [PS5] Forspoken – 29,055 / NEW
4. [NSW] Fire Emblem Engage – 28,422 / 173,000
5. [NSW] Splatoon 3 – 14,844 / 3,848,543
6. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – 13,138 / 5,128,314
7. [NSW] Disgaea 7 – 10,359 / NEW
8. [NSW] Minecraft – 8,399 / 3,025,019
9. [NSW] Nintendo Switch Sports – 8,231 / 986,742
10. [NSW] Momotaro Dentetsu: Showa, Heisei, Reiwa mo Teiban! – 6,041 / 2,836,256

Hardware Sales
PS5 – 53,256
PS5 Digital Edition – 9,652
Switch OLED – 28,787
Switch – 12,564
Switch Lite – 9,757
PS4 – 1,061
Xbox Series S – 830
Xbox Series X – 435
New 2DS LL – 64

nintendoeverything.com

Famitsu sales (1/23/23 - 1/29/23)

The latest Japanese hardware sales from Famitsu are as follows: PS5 – 53,256 Switch OLED – 28,787 Switch – 12,564 Switch Lite – 9,757 PS5 Digital Edition – 9,652 PS4 – 1,061 Xbox Series S – 830 Xbox Series X – 435 New 2DS LL – 64 For comparison’s sake, here are the hardware numbers from last...

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Forspoken Bomba

Disgaea hella Bomba

Switch doomed. Nintendo, release Drake or kiss your business goodbye!

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Oh no Disgaea, what the fuck happened.
7 is clearly better than 6, this is heartbreaking.
I do hope it's marketing issue and not lack of interest, I've read that Sony bought the marketing right for this game in Japan.

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
Look, I know those Forspoken numbers are bad but I wasn't even expecting it to chart at all lol

Also, really great PS5 numbers and I'm starting to lose hope for Xbox in Japan.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Forspoken is one and done for sure, RIP any thought to follow up.
Disgaea played itself, should have focused on better story rather than trillion billion endless grinding systems.

Also...will we see double digits Xbox after the price increase 🤔?

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Oh shit 👀

e3955924d4ea01d285d8d2094c84df32f4faa06f.gif

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
While I don't follow the series as close as I once did, seeing that Disgaea 7 number made me wince.

Forspoken already looking like a quaint memory in Japan.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
Forspoken is one and done for sure, RIP any thought to follow up.
Disgaea played itself, should have focused on better story rather than trillion billion endless grinding systems.

Also...will we see double digits Xbox after the price increase 🤔?
Luminous Studio is one and done. I just hope Square places the devs at other studios but throw luminous engine away. Still PS5 software charting is impressive on its own imo.

Mung

Nov 2, 2017
Ps5 oldsold switch?!
And xbox oldsold ps4?!

In any case, ps5 stock has been consistently strong for several weeks now.

Last edited:

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Luminous Studio is one and done. I just hope Square places the devs at other studios but throw luminous engine away. Still PS5 software charting is impressive on its own imo.

The engine isnt the issue though. Dunno why they would throw a working engine away with a AAA amount of devs trained on it inhouse.

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
Japan was never ultimately important for either game, but one game is ultimately a fairly low budget and iterative title in a series that's gradually been more prominent in the west, while the other is a big AAA new IP debut that has shown signs of struggling in every market.
That's what I was thinking. Disgaea numbers are abysmal but I doubt NiS will be hurt that much.

Square is definitely gonna feel that loss on Forspoken

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The engine isnt the issue though. Dunno why they would throw a working engine away with a AAA amount of devs trained on it inhouse.
Because unless they put their other teams on it, it'll be an expensive upkeep for a mediocre selling studio. And I doubt the other teams want to come off tools that are working well for them

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Oh no Disgaea, what the fuck happened.
7 is clearly better than 6, this is heartbreaking.
I do hope it's marketing issue and not lack of interest, I've read that Sony bought the marketing right for this game in Japan.
6 launched pretty broken in Japan (as well as just sucking). Fairly predictable result.

DinkyBox

Feb 21, 2021

Maybe not. But the engine is also not showing that great of results from a technical standpoint and is probably harder to use if you want to recruit new talent than Unreal or Unity. Now they have to have a dedicated team to improving the engine over time, while the results are not really impressive.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Because unless they put their other teams on it, it'll be an expensive upkeep for a mediocre selling studio. And I doubt the other teams want to come off tools that are working well for them

Oh I get that, but I mean like I dont think they should dissolve Luminous Engine and Productions after 1 dud.

I also think they will, but I think they shouldnt.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
At this point it doesn't look like "PS5 is selling gangbusters* (software is still eating dirt)" will be a caveat that's going away anytime soon in Japan.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Flopspoken

Unless the game did giga chad numbers in the US, it's basically a flop on all major markets.

lapsu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 31, 2017
I wonder how many people in Japan bought a PS5 just for Genshin Impact. That game is gigantic in the country.

RPGamer2

Jul 19, 2018
Forspoken is a bad game and that generally results in bad sales. Just a misstep from Square Enix (for the game) and Sony (and for the deal). Sony seems to have moved past it, looking forward to bigger titles in 2023.

Square Enix will have a tougher time as the remaining games to be released this FY, Theatrythm Final Bar Line and Octopath Traveler II don't seem to be gaining large traction either.

Disgaea 7 is just bad. The one year turnaround after a bad 6 didn't help, the game had a demo on all platforms which seem not to help either.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Disgaea needs a hard reboot. They need to replay Disgaea 1 thousand times and recapture that, I also mean the accessibility.

Average newcomer JRPG fan seeing Disgaea's systems upon systems is just going to walk past, it's offputting.

Ekid

Dec 21, 2017
NIS won't be around for much longer with how things are going. They will be out of title to re-release on modern platforms fairly soon as well.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
I do think if Forspoken doesn't pick up sales in the US either then Luminous is going to end up a support studio for Square and the engine is going to get dropped.

That Disgaea number is really disappointing, feels like the series is dying after 6.

Oct 27, 2017
Disgaea needs a hard reboot. They need to replay Disgaea 1 thousand times and recapture that, I also mean the accessibility.

Average newcomer JRPG fan seeing Disgaea's systems upon systems is just going to walk past, it's offputting.
I'm surprised it hasn't been rebooted at this point. You see a franchise slowly selling fewer copies with iterations and instead of reassessing they just keep making it increasingly more complicated and targeted at existing players. Makes no sense

PRrambo_

PlayStation.jif
Oct 25, 2017
Look, I know those Forspoken numbers are bad but I wasn't even expecting it to chart at all lol

Also, really great PS5 numbers and I'm starting to lose hope for Xbox in Japan.

I swear I am not console warring here, but was there ever any reason for hope for Xbox in Japan?

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I swear I am not console warring here, but was there ever any reason for hope for Xbox in Japan?
Not really, some people thought the fact it and PS5 were "neck and neck" for awhile was due to disinterest in PS5 and interest in Xbox Series due to gamepass, and not due to PS5 being a combo of supply constrained and scalper constrained.