• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
think how many copies of Kessen were sold that night

manustany

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
The Space
America on Black Friday, minus the Americans.

I remember reading news on VG newspapers at that time. That was truly the golden era of videogames, no fanboys, no DLC, no internet... just plug the console and play the games you've dreamt for month drooling at a couple of screenshoots on a magazine.

SirBaron

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I remember reading news on VG newspapers at that time. That was truly the golden era of videogames, no fanboys, no DLC, no internet... just plug the console and play the games you've dreamt for month drooling at a couple of screenshoots on a magazine.

No fanboys? Hah no. The rest, maybe, but we did have the internet in the 90's before the PS2 came out.

ANYWAY, it's not that surprising that consoles are not that popular in Japan anymore, most Japanese I know play on their phones, or at the least on a Handheld device, otherwise consoles are a distant thought.

They either don't have space, or don't have interest.

Zaki2407

May 6, 2018
That was the time when cell phone screen was in black and white and the most popular game on the phone was "snake".

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Very epic. I'm still impressed at how hyped the PS2 launch, sans any killer video games. I just looked up the launch lineup for Japan and I've never even heard of GT2000. Is that like prologue for GT3?
Crazy how japan went from this to the PS4 only selling 8 million lifetime
Damn telephones. It's kinda wild that traditional Japanese software development remains strong, but is almost entirely servicing a western audience.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
They don't have the space for a console?

Apartments are very small, it's uncommon for someone to have room for a large TV and a TV stand and a game console.

Obviously if that's something they want they can make it work, but I think Japan has really invested in the convenience of handhelds.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
Seeing that blue box brought back some memories, as I imported one soon after launch to the U.S. Ridge Racer 5 was an amazing game and I played so much of it for months. Graphically it was stunning at that time. It was also my first DVD player, so of course I went and bought a copy of the Matrix which had just been released.

Stone Cold

Oct 27, 2017
I had X-Squad, Smugglers Run, Street Fighter EX something, and Armored Core 2. Armored Core 2 was the fucking shit from what I remember

Calverz

Oct 28, 2017
And the big selling point was full native ps1 bc as well support for ps1 accessories.
How times have changed indeed!

Steve McQueen

Nov 1, 2017
Netherlands
I remember driving tot Germany ( I live in the Netherlands, near the border ) to pick one up, as they were sold out here ( and crazy expensive about 550 euro ). When I arrived they had one PS2 for sale, and the only games availble were Fantavision, Rayman and Smuggler's Run I think. Other games were sold out and my reason tot get one, RR5, was nowhere to be seen.

Next to the PS2, the much cheaper Dreamcast was on display and I remembered being blown away by Virtua Fighter, Sega Rally and Soul Calibur, so I got the Dreamcast.

Eventually, I bought a PS2 off course, and loved it, but I remember being pretty disappointed in the launch games back then, but looking back it was one of my most beloved consoles.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Apartments are very small, it's uncommon for someone to have room for a large TV and a TV stand and a game console.

Obviously if that's something they want they can make it work, but I think Japan has really invested in the convenience of handhelds.
I know that Japanese apartments are small, but it's news to me that they don't even have a TV. You don't need 70" TV to play videogames.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
I know that Japanese apartments are small, but it's news to me that they don't even have a TV. You don't need 70" TV to play videogames.
I live in a 40 square meters apartment and I have a 50 inch TV and a TV cabinet with two Switches, a gaming laptop, a ps3 and a ps4. How freaking tiny are these japanese apartments again?

Hayama Akito

Oct 25, 2017
PS2 is awesome, one of the best consoles of all time... but holy shit how BAD the launch in Japan in 2000 was. The only real good game was Tekken Tag Tournament, the rest was paying a shitton of money for Bust a Groove 3, Driving Emotion Type-S, Street Fighter EX 3 or Stepping Selection... for me 2000 was the year of Dreamcast, by damn far.

Then of course 2001 happened.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
And the big selling point was full native ps1 bc as well support for ps1 accessories.
How times have changed indeed!
I'm pretty sure it was the built in DVD player. Which, btw, by itself was expensive as fuck at the time.

At least that was how it was in the States.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
I just looked up the launch lineup for Japan and I've never even heard of GT2000. Is that like prologue for GT3?
I don't know what exactly you looked up, but GT2000 was the name given to several evolving demo builds of Gran Turismo 3. Each version was very limited - small selection of cars, small selection of tracks, and I think each race would end after a few minutes. It was on some demo discs but never got a paid release. The equivalent wouldn't the the Prologue games, it's closer to something like GT HD, except that GT HD was far more generous in term of playable content. I don't think it was around for the Japanese launch but hype for GT3 absolutely was one of the PS2's selling points in Japan, even at launch.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
I don't know what exactly you looked up, but GT2000 was the name given to several evolving demo builds of Gran Turismo 3. Each version was very limited - small selection of cars, small selection of tracks, and I think each race would end after a few minutes. It was on some demo discs but never got a paid release. The equivalent wouldn't the the Prologue games, it's closer to something like GT HD, except that GT HD was far more generous in term of playable content. I don't think it was around for the Japanese launch but hype for GT3 absolutely was one of the PS2's selling points in Japan, even at launch.
That makes sense. I caught it on a dinosaur IGN article from September 99.

Isayas

Banned
Jun 10, 2018

Lmao, how old are you? Fanboys always existed. Nintendo vs Sega fanboys?

Hayama Akito

Oct 25, 2017
I'm 35.

Honestly here in Italy I haven't ever heard of kids fighting wether Nintendo or SEGA were better in the nineties.

I'm from Chile and here people were killing in the streets like a holy crusade (and I'm not kidding, greetings to some friends who were punched in the face because they liked an specific videogame console... ah, junior high schools years, what a time).

Hayama Akito

Oct 25, 2017

When you're 14 kids do stupid things, console wars is one of them. Of course people can have choices, preferences and taste, but hating on a product because you like the
competition is the perfect late capitalism shit, and it was part of it, especially on the PS1 vs. N64 era here (Chile was Nintendoland in the SNES era, so the most loyalist Nintendo fans were on suicide watch at the time).

CielYoshi

May 10, 2018
Santiago, Chile
When you're 14 kids do stupid things, console wars is one of them. Of course people can have choices, preferences and taste, but hating on a product because you like the
competition is the perfect late capitalism shit, and it was part of it, especially on the PS1 vs. N64 era here (Chile was Nintendoland in the SNES era, so the most loyalist Nintendo fans were on suicide watch at the time).
Ah, to be young again to rub FF7 and MGS on those Nintendo fans' face again...

jikevgw

Jan 22, 2020
I remember I brought the import zone of the ender on day 1 just to play the MGS 2 demo . I was blown away on how the gfx looked . After weeks of playing the demo I pop in zone of the ender to try it out and it was amazing . I loved the ps2 and Dreamcast

Oct 27, 2017
He didn't say no TV, just simply not a big tv. Thought point still stands that you don't have to big tv to play games.
I live in a 40 square meters apartment and I have a 50 inch TV and a TV cabinet with two Switches, a gaming laptop, a ps3 and a ps4. How freaking tiny are these japanese apartments again?
My friend lives in a 22sqm apartment, and all of the apartments I've been looking at for an upcoming move are around that size or smaller. Hell I was looking at a 10sqm apartment at one point (loft space isn't included in that number though).

Caspar

Oct 29, 2017
UK
Here in the UK house sizes are smaller than Japan and I've never heard of anyone not having space for a game console. I think it's a bit of a myth people came up with to explain why Japanese people never bought OG Xbox's that has carried on over the years.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15

The 16-Bit wars? Also gen 6 was when places like GameFAQs were at their worst.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
I remember seeing pics from Japan of this era in magazines, always looked like an absolute banger

thanks for fucking everything up smart phones

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Back when a traditional home console could sell gang busters in japan. We've not seen the like since and ps5/xbox won't change that next gen.

Listai

50Ā¢
Oct 27, 2017
I still adore the PS2's design language - the console, the packaging, the accessories. I even have the horizontal stand.