• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Xyber

Oct 27, 2017
Hiked up Mt Takao today, going up was a bit tiring for the legs but going down was so not pleasant for the feet. Should've gone down sooner and taken the lift for the last half. Wish there were better spots to actually view the entire surrounding area from up there. Only really had the one spot towards Fuji that we could see a bit. But it's just trees everywhere :P.

Spent the evening looking at places to stay in Okinawa and there's a place you can get for 16 nights for just 600€ which had great reviews and looked really good overall. That's cheap as hell. I might just book another trip when my next salary arrives.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
I was there this February just gone and aside from a really random heavy snowfall one day it was really quite pleasant! It was definitely chilly at times, but really not atall bad I'd say.

Depending on timing you may get to see plum blossoms blooming!
Thanks for this info. I think we're just gonna book the trip. We're not bothered by some cold and potential for snow. Now to figure out literally every other detail...

Xun

Oct 25, 2017
London
I've thrown together a basic itinerary for a potential solo trip next year.

Outside of visiting Hiroshima for a couple of days and doing the bulk of Tokyo in the second half of the trip instead of the first, the itinerary doesn't actually differ too much from my first trip with my mate. There's so much I want to see again at my own pace whilst also getting "lost" and discovering new things that it made sense to keep it similar.
Well, I'm very much tempted to book my solo trip to Japan within the next few weeks.

I'm potentially thinking the 27th February till the 16th March. I assume it'll be busy, but hopefully not as busy as it is later on into March and April? Probably a bit too early to see the cherry blossoms, but they're honestly not a deal breaker for me (as great as it would be to see them).

Early next year is of course a long way away but I can't stop thinking about returning (as per the thread title, eh? 😂), and having a trip like that should soothe the inevitable January blues.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Well, I'm very much tempted to book my solo trip to Japan within the next few weeks.

I'm potentially thinking the 27th February till the 16th March. I assume it'll be busy, but hopefully not as busy as it is later on into March and April? Probably a bit too early to see the cherry blossoms, but they're honestly not a deal breaker for me (as great as it would be to see them).

Early next year is of course a long way away but I can't stop thinking about returning (as per the thread title, eh? 😂), and having a trip like that should soothe the inevitable January blues.

Probably too early for cherry blossoms yes, might see some of the other variations blooming depending on weather though. That time would also be after Lunar new year so probably less tourists than usual but also no major domestic holidays too. But you know, its Japan, Tokyo is always crowded lol.

chairhome

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando
So, my friend just bought his tickets to Tokyo where he's accompanying another friend and his family in July. He bought his for 2700, which seemed high to me, even with insurance. Our friend and his family got theirs for like $1700 per person.
It made me check, since we were planning on a late December trip. Prices at the end of May to mid June out of Orlando were $900 round trip. My wife and I couldn't resist so we went ahead and bought them. Basically saving $3-4k in airfare for a family of 4 by going sooner rather than later.
I'm ecstatic for my return trip after 6 years. I'll be looking back through this thread for tips.
Last time we only stayed in Tokyo, but we're going to try to hit up Osaka and Kyoto this time. I'm so excited!

spyder_ur

Oct 25, 2017
Well, on my way to Kansai airport after a couple days in Osaka. Had a magical time here in Japan. Off to Thailand but will be back in Japan for a couple days before flying home.

TheAggroCraig

One Winged Slayer
Nov 6, 2017
Does Osaka Pokémon DX store still have these exclusive plushies available? I'm going later today!

Middle one was one of the Tokyo store exclusives, I wanna say DX? Not sure if it's still stocked/oos or discontinued, I saw it there in 2019 but wasn't there in 2023.

The other two might also have been from that store but I'm not sure. Basically when I went in 12/2023 I couldn't find any of the exclusives at any of the Pokemon Centers I went to, but hopefully there's something when you go! Pokemon Cafe has exclusive merch too but you can only buy when you go for a meal.

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
english.kyodonews.net

Golden Week holidaymakers in Japan to reach 90% of pre-COVID level

The number of Japanese holidaymakers traveling at home and abroad in the upcoming Golden Week holiday period is expected to reach 23.32 million, recovering to over 90 percent of the pre-COVID level, a major travel agency says.

The number of Japanese holidaymakers traveling at home and abroad in the upcoming Golden Week holiday period is expected to reach 23.32 million, recovering to over 90 percent of the pre-COVID level, a major travel agency said.

With this year's Golden Week to be the first since Japan downgraded the legal status of the coronavirus to the same category as seasonal influenza, the figure represents a 1.8 percent increase from the previous year, JTB Corp. said.

But the number of travelers in the holiday period from April 25 and May 5 is likely to be short of the 24.94 million seen in 2019 before the pandemic, as travel demand has been dampened somewhat by rising prices and the weaker yen, which recently hit a 34-year low versus the U.S. dollar, JTB said.

Those going on domestic trips are estimated to remain nearly flat from the previous year at 22.8 million, with more people using public transportation including railways and airplanes, while those using vehicles are expected to edge down, it said.

Travelers going abroad are expected to jump to 520,000 from 310,000 the previous year, with destinations closer to Japan such as South Korea, Southeast Asia and Taiwan becoming popular on the back of inflation and the yen's fall, it said.

Xyber

Oct 27, 2017
Went to Kawaguchiko today to take some photos of Fuji. Since all the buses were booked several days in advance we had to just gamble on a day that looked like it would have good weather.

Started out with a clear sky when we left from Shibuya, but halfway there it was just clouds everywhere. By the time we arrived it had fortunately cleared up and we got a very nice sunny day. Cherry blossoms were in full bloom by the pagoda.

Apart from the bus ride there taking almost 2 hours longer than it should because of the highway moving at 5km/h for a very long stretch it was a great day.

Off to Yokohama tomorrow and then my trip is almost over. Just going to do some souvenir shopping on Tuesday and then heading home on Wednesday. :(

rawr its ry

Oct 27, 2017
Found a luggage service in Tokyo station on the Toyosu side that can hold large check in luggage for a few days. I should've just used Yamato or a similar service to drop my luggage at my last hotel on certain date. Had to go from Tokyo station with my backpack and carry-on to my hotel around Odaiba, drop it off then go back to Tokyo station to pick up my check in luggage and back to Odaiba area again. Took me around 2 hours - never doing that shit again lol

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
Curious, why did you bring so much luggage? I know other people do it as well. I bring my backpack and a small carry on. That was enough for 3 weeks. But I also didnt really buy anything except some omiyage at the airport.

Xyber

Oct 27, 2017
Should have taken the train :p

We wanted to save a bit of money and the bus was supposed to be taking roughly the same amount of time. But that ended up not happening. :D

Almost missed the last train back that we could take because the red bus in the area didn't stop to pick us up. So had to walk around half the lake and didn't see a single taxi on our way either. :P

Things did not go the way we wanted it to but it was still a good day.

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
Curious, why did you bring so much luggage? I know other people do it as well. I bring my backpack and a small carry on. That was enough for 3 weeks. But I also didnt really buy anything except some omiyage at the airport.
A mistake I absolutely made was bringing too many gadgets. I brought a Switch, Steam Deck, laptop, and I think even my kindle. I used the laptop a ton for writing and arranging photos, but almost everything else went completely unused. Otherwise, well, I brought a week's work of clothes and various extra layers. I'd keep the layers but maybe lighten up on clothing. We could have done laundry more often if we'd been brave enough to find a laundromat.

Annie85x

Mar 12, 2020
My last 2 trips I MASSIVELY over packed and regretted it almost every day lol. I had 2 relatively small cases and had spread out enough clothes over both of them with a view to having room for all the shit I was certain to buy... Then like a fool I started panic packing the day before flying and throwing in jumpers and t shirts I never ended up wearing. Was very guilty of taking random tech I never ended up using too 🤦‍♀️

Hopefully next time I go I'll have learned from the 🤭

snack

Oct 27, 2017
Went to check out Shimoyoshida Honcho Street and it was truly stunning. Japan is lovely! Here's one of my favorite photos from the day trip.

IMG-1855.jpg

Last edited:

Xyber

Oct 27, 2017
Went to check out Shimoyoshida Honcho Street and it was truly stunning. Japan is lovely!
IMG-1855.jpg
Great pic.
I'm a bit sad we forgot to head there before or after the pagoda, but we were in a bit of a rush to get to the lake since our bus made us come much later than we wanted. So had to pick 2 spots before the sun went down and getting up to the pagoda took an hour with that long queue.

Did meet KSI up there though, that was random.

We could have done laundry more often if we'd been brave enough to find a laundromat.

I packed enough clothes for a week and have just washed them several times. Laundromats are so simple to use and if there's not any English instructions google translate always does the trick. And there's almost always one within like 10 minutes walking distance no matter where you stay in a bigger city.

Last edited:

chairhome

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando
Question: can you do luggage delivery to a train station? Or some other location. I am arriving into haneda and ideally I would send our luggage to a location in Osaka near our vacation rental. But I wouldn't be able to send it directly to the rental place.

reelbigeddy

Nov 16, 2017
UK
Haven't had a gout attack in over a year, so didn't pack my medication. An evening of fried food and beers in shinsekai and now I can barely put any weight on my foot.

Anyone know if there's gout medication I can ask for in a drugstore? Before I go subject a poor worker to my awful Japanese and Google translate.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if this is the best place to put this, but I just got back and one pleasant discovery was that you can buy the Nintendo Online exclusive controllers at the Nintendo Store. I picked up both the Famicom and Super Famicom controllers there. All I had to do was show that my account had a Nintendo Online membership. They were roughly about $40 and $20 each respectively.

construct

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Jun 5, 2020
東京
Not sure if this is the best place to put this, but I just got back and one pleasant discovery was that you can buy the Nintendo Online exclusive controllers at the Nintendo Store. I picked up both the Famicom and Super Famicom controllers there. All I had to do was show that my account had a Nintendo Online membership. They were roughly about $40 and $20 each respectively.
i always found it so weird you have to prove you have a NSO sub

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
i always found it so weird you have to prove you have a NSO sub
Probably to fight resellers and make sure people know they are not standard controllers I'd guess.

Resellers especially have been a hot topic in Japan since the pandemic. Buying gundam models I had to show them I've made at least 3 at one shop lol. Then last year to buy pokemon cards it was so bad you had to show Id, have a members card, officially registered to the pokemon TCG tournament rankings site and prove your address haha

Thankfully that's over… mostly

construct

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Jun 5, 2020
東京
Probably to fight resellers and make sure people know they are not standard controllers I'd guess.

Resellers especially have been a hot topic in Japan since the pandemic. Buying gundam models I had to show them I've made at least 3 at one shop lol. Then last year to buy pokemon cards it was so bad you had to show Id, have a members card, officially registered to the pokemon TCG tournament rankings site and prove your address haha

ah yeah true. i haven't had issues with pokémon cards or gundam models but i can definitely tell there a lot more exporting going on whenever i go out

Siri

Nov 7, 2017
Haven't had a gout attack in over a year, so didn't pack my medication. An evening of fried food and beers in shinsekai and now I can barely put any weight on my foot.

Anyone know if there's gout medication I can ask for in a drugstore? Before I go subject a poor worker to my awful Japanese and Google translate.

Depends on what medication you actually take, but I found the usual suspects (Colchicine, Allopurinol) have information sheets on this website, along with Japanese so you can show a pharmacist if needs be. Front page is here, where you can search via active ingredients for other generics: https://www.rad-ar.or.jp/siori/english/

Although to be honest, I packed about a month of medicine for two weeks. Missing a week of Allo basically means all the uric acid is back in your joints and requires onboarding again for a month or two, which would fucking suck in a country that requires walking everywhere, lol

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
english.kyodonews.net

Foreign visitors to Japan top 3 mil. in March, single-month record

The number of foreign visitors to Japan soared 69.5 percent from a year earlier to over 3.08 million in March, the first time the tally exceeded the 3 million mark in a single month, boosted by tourists drawn to cherry blossoms and by Easter holidaymakers, government data shows.

The number of foreign visitors to Japan soared 69.5 percent from a year earlier to over 3.08 million in March, the first time the tally exceeded the 3 million mark in a single month, boosted by tourists drawn to cherry blossoms and by Easter holidaymakers, government data showed Wednesday.

The annual record of 31.88 million arrivals was logged in the pre-pandemic era in 2019, while the previous monthly high of 2,991,189 arrivals was recorded in July 2019.

The largest number of travelers came from South Korea at 663,100, up 13.2 percent from the pre-pandemic level in 2019, followed by those from Taiwan at 484,400, up 20.4 percent, according to the Japan National Tourism Organization's estimate.

The rise in numbers also coincided with this year's Easter holiday taking place in late March. Data showed that travelers from the United States and the Philippines, countries with large Christian populations, rose 64.3 percent to 290,100 and 63.2 percent to 78,800, respectively, compared with the figures in 2019.

tiebreaker

Oct 25, 2017
english.kyodonews.net

Foreign visitors to Japan top 3 mil. in March, single-month record

The number of foreign visitors to Japan soared 69.5 percent from a year earlier to over 3.08 million in March, the first time the tally exceeded the 3 million mark in a single month, boosted by tourists drawn to cherry blossoms and by Easter holidaymakers, government data shows.

That's banana. I'm hoping to travel there again next year, hopefully it will be less crowded in 2025.

Which is unlikely because of the expo.

spyder_ur

Oct 25, 2017
Coming back to Japan Saturday from Thailand. Decided to do our full 3 nights before leaving in Tokyo (eyeing Asakusa since we stayed in Shinjuku first leg) instead of splitting it up. Open to hotel recs if anyone has advice.

We're looking to do the following in our remaining time in Tokyo:
  • Imperial palace grounds
  • Tea ceremony
  • Buying tea (as gifts - any recommendations?)
  • Pokémon gifts for my nephew - is there anything exclusive to Japan that I can get that he can brag to his friends about? Otherwise buying some Japanese branded packs would do.
  • Strolling Ahikabara
  • Completing KitKat collection - I bought a ton at Donki but is there another good place? Would be interested in general in a comprehensive Tokyo candy store.
  • Senso-ji

chairhome

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando
Coming back to Japan Saturday from Thailand. Decided to do our full 3 nights before leaving in Tokyo (eyeing Asakusa since we stayed in Shinjuku first leg) instead of splitting it up. Open to hotel recs if anyone has advice.

• Tea ceremony
  • Pokémon gifts for my nephew - is there anything exclusive to Japan that I can get that he can brag to his friends about? Otherwise buying some Japanese branded packs would do.
  • Strolling Ahikabara
  • Completing KitKat collection - I bought a ton at Donki but is there another good place? Would be interested in general in a comprehensive Tokyo candy store.
  • Senso-ji
I think most of the Pokemon centers have some exclusive merch (like a pokemon wearing a hat that you can get there). I was checking online and apparently the one in Shibuya parco has a station to design and print out your own shirts. Print out a cool one for your nephew!

zero_suit

Oct 27, 2017
I think most of the Pokemon centers have some exclusive merch (like a pokemon wearing a hat that you can get there). I was checking online and apparently the one in Shibuya parco has a station to design and print out your own shirts. Print out a cool one for your nephew!
Hmm. I'm going to Shibuya Parco this Saturday. You've given me a great idea. Finally here! Four years in the making!

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017

I'd guess that the exchange rate is really exacerbating this right now.

• Tea ceremony
  • Strolling Ahikabara
  • Senso-ji
Remember that you can't really visit the Imperial Palace, just some gardens / park outside. My go to recommendation in that general area is the Hamarikyu gardens instead.

Symtendo

Aug 10, 2020
I'm heading to Tokyo from Osaka in a few days.

Don't want to take our bags on the Bullet train, but am assuming I can take them to a Yamoto in Osaka and have them delivered to one of their places in Tokyo?

Is there anywhere in Tokyo I can play old Nintendo arcade cabinets? That would be a target place for me

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
Don't want to take our bags on the Bullet train, but am assuming I can take them to a Yamoto in Osaka and have them delivered to one of their places in Tokyo?
If you're staying at a hotel, they will very likely be able to make the arrangements at the reception. Just take into account that it will take two days (first day you leave the luggage at your hotel, second day yamato takes them, and third day it will arrive at your new hotel).
Is there anywhere in Tokyo I can play old Nintendo arcade cabinets? That would be a target place for me
I don't know in Tokyo, but if you still have time in Osaka, at least last year there were some of those in shinsekai iirc.

Rydeen

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA.
The best game center in Tokyo is Mikado in Takadanobaba, I haven't been there in a few years but I'm sure they have a few Nintendo arcade games running, they have a classic lineup of games regularly rotated. They have a fully renovated and working Space Harrier and Out Run motion simulator cabinets as well.

Xyber

Oct 27, 2017
Back home again, gonna miss you Japan. Tokyo is great, but in these 4 weeks I've been there I have been able to do pretty much everything I want to in that city from a tourist perspective. Some smaller stuff we never got to, but that can always be done in another trip down the line before moving on to some other city.

I've been home for 12 hours, but have already started planning my return in November. Had to check how many vacations days I have left and had 16, so I might just do another 3 full weeks in Okinawa. Thinking maybe 1 week on one of the other islands nearby and then go to the main one and do a week in Naha and one up north.

And going from Japan to Sweden is a bitch. Woke up at 9AM in Japan on Wednesday to check out, spent the day walking around some parks and stuff and then went back to the hotel to get a taxi to the airport at 7PM. Flight left at 9:50. Didn't get any sleep on the plane, as usual.

Got home in Sweden, it's 7PM on Thursday in Japan and I still hadn't gotten any sleep. Thankfully I don't have to work until Wednesday so I got plenty of time to fix this jetlag. Worst part is that I'm not tired right now and couldn't sleep even if I wanted to.

Symtendo

Aug 10, 2020
If you're staying at a hotel, they will very likely be able to make the arrangements at the reception. Just take into account that it will take two days (first day you leave the luggage at your hotel, second day yamato takes them, and third day it will arrive at your new hotel).

I don't know in Tokyo, but if you still have time in Osaka, at least last year there were some of those in shinsekai iirc.

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated.

We are going from apartment to apartment so don't have a hotel to organise this to and from unfortunately, so will be Yamato for us. I have the address of the nearest one to our apartment in Tokyo so hoping that will work

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017

The Japanese government decided to tighten rules concerning tax-exempt products bought at duty-free stores to prevent foreign visitors from reselling the goods within Japan for illegal profits, sources said.

The revisions will be finalized by the end of the year and implemented as early as fiscal 2025, they added.

Visitors who spend more than 5,000 yen ($32.40) on duty-free goods for personal use are exempt from the consumption tax.

The use or resale of these duty-free purchases within Japan is prohibited, but this has occurred frequently under the current system, which has been criticized as lax, impractical and easily exploited.

The changes will require visitors to pay the full price for goods--including the consumption tax—at the duty-free shops, and these purchases will be recorded electronically in their passports.

Upon departure at airports or seaports in Japan, the passports will be scanned to confirm the purchases, and customs officials will refund the consumption tax to the departing travelers.

Since opening the suitcases of every tax-free shopper is impractical, customs officials will only inspect luggage for purchases that exceed a certain amount, which will be determined later, the sources said.

Wonder how long the queues for tax-free at the airport will become then...