• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vegeto

Oct 26, 2017
Frankfurt
One of my favorite threads in GAF and now here. Glad that we are back and we can share our excitement for travelling through Japan. I have another thread in May, would have been a shame without this thread.

fierrotlepou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cool that this thread is back. I want to go in 2018 or early/mid 2019. I feel drawn to Japan, I just need to go there.

Deleted member 2328

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hi everyone.
For my 3rd trip to Japan I'm planning to go to Sapporo Snow Festival. Any tips for things to do and see around Sapporo (maybe Hokkaido)?
Also, for someone who has already been to Kyoto, Osaka, Tokyo and Hiroshima and likes both ancient and modern Japan, what other places are a must visit? Right now I only have Sapporo, Otaru, Nikko and Tokyo on my plan.
I'm aiming for two weeks and considering a rail pass.

CUD

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I went to Japan for the first time in February. We went to Osaka, Kyoto and Tokyo as well as some surrounding areas. I really want to go back, we'll probably go further north next time but I'd like to go for longer than two weeks so we have time to go back to some places again and fit more in.

Being an anime fan and figure collector, Akiba was great. I bought a lot of figures, I barely had space in my luggage to bring it all back.

Fritz

Oct 26, 2017
Yeay Mike! Lovely OP. Are you in japan atm?

It's probably not so cool to link my pics from the GAF OT so I might just repost them here, what do you guys think?

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
For peeps living in Japan, I've just created a OT for that: Click here

MikeHattsu, if you feel like it, you can link to it in the OP. Cheers!

Added a link.

Yeay Mike! Lovely OP. Are you in japan atm?

It's probably not so cool to link my pics from the GAF OT so I might just repost them here, what do you guys think?

Yeah, I'm in Japan atm, so I'll update the OP with more info when I'm back home in November.

Put them in an imgur album or something, and link it here!

Rebetherick

Oct 26, 2017
First time posting in here.

Echoing others saying a bit of panic over the weekend thinking of all that great info gone, great to see it here.

Off to Japan for the first time in April with my brother and couldn't be more excited.

Nezumi

Oct 25, 2017
Hessen, Germany
Currently in Japan as well, this time around we mostly stayed in Sendai with a day trip to Matsushima and two days at Akiu Onsen. Matsushima was absolutely breathtaking. Had oysters for the first time, not a fan. And I think if I had infinite amounts of money I'd probably move into an Onsen spa and never leave again.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
Guys I made it over to this new promised lane. Its so bright and shiny. I need my dark theme.

GestaltGaz

Oct 28, 2017
Just finishing up my third trip here. Now in Tokyo Disney for weekend for my 3 year old girl. Spent 3 weeks in Osaka with the Nihonjin wife mainly for shichigosan. Great trip except for the typhoons. The one last weekend kept us indoors and this one looks to disrupt our Disney trip.

Oh well, maybe the queues will be short...

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
The one last weekend kept us indoors

Weak.

Last Sunday, when the typhoon was at its worst, I was in Odaiba hahaha. The weather was crazy, with super strong videos and extremely heavy rain. Yet, to my surprise, Odaiba was packed with people who've literally got no fucks to give, haha. Ended up having an awesome day.

GestaltGaz

Oct 28, 2017
Weak.

Last Sunday, when the typhoon was at its worst, I was in Odaiba hahaha. The weather was crazy, with super strong videos and extremely heavy rain. Yet, to my surprise, Odaiba was packed with people who've literally got no fucks to give, haha. Ended up having an awesome day.

Nice! We stayed indoors Sunday afternoon and night when it was as it's worst. The windows rattled and the wind was like a train going past in Awaza, Osaka.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
My significant other and I plan on taking our honeymoon to the Olympic games in 2020. Any general advice? We're just now firming up the idea and want to start booking things as soon as possible.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
Unless your plan is to attend the games, I cant imagine a worst time to go. Everything will be inflated price wise and the amount of people there will be suffocating.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
I was just in Osaka for two days for a work trip .. the first day there was a typhoon blowing through so I just wandered around Osaka Station and the nearby malls and shopping centers. I was very lucky to stumble upon a Super Mario Odyssey demo station that was only open that weekend (the 21st and 22nd). There was a little kid who was really struggling with game and every lined up behind him was sort of pulling for him or at least I was. After finishing my turn I got a free paper Cappy hat and one of those plastic paper holders with the SMO logo on it. It was awesome!

Soulstar

Oct 25, 2017
Do it. It's worth it.

Oh, I will.

Hey boys and gals~

Wrong mentality! People who always say "one day..." usually end up not getting anywhere. Remove the first two words, and start actually deciding when and how ;)

See ya in Japan.

Yeah I was being a bit self-deprecating there. I definitely plan on going. What time of the year do you guys think would be the best time to visit Japan for the first time?

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Also the horrible summer weather. Way too hot and humid :p
I'm from Kentucky where it's typically 95F and swampy all summer. Surely the summers In Japan can't be worse than here :D

Going to an Olympics is a bucket list sorta deal for us and we thought Tokyo would be a safer bet than something like Rio. Though I guess they're in the States pretty regularly.

Oct 25, 2017
Nice to see a Japan Travel thread here. My next trip is getting closer and closer, only 59 days left - not that I'm counting days or something.

mantis

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I was being a bit self-deprecating there. I definitely plan on going. What time of the year do you guys think would be the best time to visit Japan for the first time?

I'd suggest to avoid June, July, August and maybe even September because of the heat/humidity. Especially July and August are terrible. At least they were for me.

I went two times in December. Liked the weather during those trips a lot. Downside is that it gets dark early. Around 5pm.

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017

It's always a good time, but Spring and Autumn is nice. Maybe Mars or otherwise right after summer. Tbh summer is also a good time to visit, because even though it's super hot and super humid, it feels kind of... authentic? I associate that kind of weather with South East Asia, so to me it kind of just adds to the experience, if that makes sense. But yeah, your first choice should be spring or autumn if you have those options ^^'

GestaltGaz

Oct 28, 2017
Hi everyone.
For my 3rd trip to Japan I'm planning to go to Sapporo Snow Festival. Any tips for things to do and see around Sapporo (maybe Hokkaido)?
Also, for someone who has already been to Kyoto, Osaka, Tokyo and Hiroshima and likes both ancient and modern Japan, what other places are a must visit? Right now I only have Sapporo, Otaru, Nikko and Tokyo on my plan.
I'm aiming for two weeks and considering a rail pass.

Go to Kyushu and saga to see beautiful temples and Karatsu castle. Go to Oita and visit some of the best onsen in Japan. You can take shinkansen to Fukuoka and other trains/bus from there. Highly recommend after seeing all the other places you've been to. Opposite end of Japan though.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
Do any of you have an a recommendation for some excellent sushis in Tokyo ? I'm bringing my family for new year there. Of course they want to go to Jiro's place (Sukiyabashi Jiro) but that's impossible to get an oversea reservation. Any other recommendation ? earlier this year we've been with my father to a tsujiki sushi in shinjuku that was great but I want to try something else

Raw64life

Oct 25, 2017
Here's the pics I took from my trip in June of last year - https://imgur.com/a/5KDcV?grid

OT is very accurate for me. Went for the first time last year and can't wait go to back. Going to Europe next year with a few friends, but I still probably spend more time thinking about my next trip to Japan than I do this Eurotrip. Can't wait to go back.

Oct 25, 2017
You can easily fill the two weeks with enough things to do, of course, it's always the question what exactly you want to do in Tokyo. There is also always the option for day trips to Yokohama, Chiba and co.

Oct 27, 2017
I wanna visit my friend who's currently studying in Japan during summer break since housing is free (she has an apartment) and she can actually show me around Tokyo/surrounding areas, but finding a good time to go/bypassing the ticket price is intimidating. Will definitely research the links posted up on here.

Celcius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd love to take a trip to Japan someday. I need to get over my fear of flying on airplanes first though.

laminated

Oct 28, 2017
I traveled there a year go on an aimless soul searching journey. People there were extremely nice and I think I gained 10 lbs from all the delicious food. Came back still lost. I plan to go again but this time it has a purpose which is to fully experience the Japanese bakeries.

Oct 25, 2017
Then don't forget to go for some Banh Mi sandwiches, there is a nice little shop not even 100m away from the Mikado Arcade - which is also always worth a trip.

Sage

Oct 27, 2017
Japan
I'm pretty envious of all you guys. I still remember my first time getting off the plane and just walking around the streets with my eyes beaming - everything new. It's that feeling like playing Ocarina of Time for the first time. Living here, there's no way to get it back..

laminated

Oct 28, 2017
Then don't forget to go for some Banh Mi sandwiches, there is a nice little shop not even 100m away from the Mikado Arcade - which is also always worth a trip.

Will do. It would not have occurred to me to try banh mi in Japan, but that's a great idea. The quality of the meat in Japan surely makes for a delicious sandwich. It's one of my favorite foods :)

Feral

Oct 25, 2017
Your Mom
glad to have this thread back, subscri- ehh watched. Gonna have to start looking for a flight to Nippon next summer

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Hoping to squeeze a trip in before the 2020 games.

I've only been once (Tokyo) around Xmas 2014. Had the time of my life.

I wish i had an actual camera and not my Xperia Z3 :3

Ginza was no doubt my favourite place. Absolutely gorgeous and full of life.
I visited the area at least 4 times when I was there.

dsc_0812amkal.jpg

dsc_0780mlkoy.jpg

dsc_07742okm9.jpg

dsc_07727ukj7.jpg

dsc_0199_13mkcw.jpg

dsc_0173ctkfq.jpg

dsc_0169xuj98.jpg