• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 7156

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
From 2019 there will be an 1000 yen "exit tax" for anyone leaving the country

The Diet on April 11 established the nation's first new tax since 1992 that will require travelers to pay 1,000 yen ($9.40) when they leave Japan.

The Upper House plenary session passed and enacted the departure tax law, which will take effect on Jan. 7, 2019. Revenue will be exclusively used to promote tourism.

Those subject to the tax will be both foreign and Japanese nationals who are 2 years old or older and are leaving Japan by air or sea. The tax will be added to their air and sea fares.
(...)
The Finance Ministry expects annual revenue of 43 billion yen from the new tax.
Source

Poor Mike, he'll be the biggest contributor of those 43 billion yen.

Fritz

Oct 26, 2017
anyone having experience with the gurunavi app? Sounds like you could use the website just as well

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have experience buying tickets for live shows? I want to see some bands playing at the Shibuya O-Nest tomorrow night. I more or less understand the Lawsons kiosk deal but when I plugged in the number for the show, I got an error message I couldn't read. The show has two other options, one for "P" (for Pia?) with a code and another for "e" with no code. According to the venue's site, it doesn't look sold out so not sure what the error was about.

If you tried getting tickets from Lawson today you were too late. Ticket sales ended at 2018/4/15 23:59 JST. Same with ticket pia. eplus sales ended slightly later at 2018/4/16 18:00 JST, but that doesn't help you now anyway :P

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
If you tried getting tickets from Lawson today you were too late. Ticket sales ended at 2018/4/15 23:59 JST. Same with ticket pia. eplus sales ended slightly later at 2018/4/16 18:00 JST, but that doesn't help you now anyway :P
Couldn't sign up for e+ without a Japanese phone number as far as I can tell so oh well lol. Going to try to buy them at the door tonight.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
man, thanks for going the extra lenght and inquire about the English tours! I'll see if I can track down the app, and I'll ask in the visitor center. I also find it quite funny that they combine the tour and normal transit bus

say, I think you're based in Fukuoka, so you know your way around Kyushu a bit, right? I want to travel from Kagoshima to Kumamoto by slow train/bus, stay there for a night, go to Nagasaki by ferry, and then continue to Fukuoka with the train/bus again a few days later. Does that sound like an okay plan for roughly 10 days on Kyushu (with 2 nights on Yakushima)?

In Kagoshima actually :p, but yeah you can take the bus between all these cities. Never used the normal train between them, only the shinkansen, same for the ferry. Sounds fine if there are routes for these obviously heh.

Rebetherick

Oct 26, 2017
On the Shinkansen back to Tokyo for 1 night before our flight home tomorrow. Have to say the thread title is accurate, sucks to be leaving and definitely will be coming back.

Yesterday was probably the best day going to Miyajima and walking up Mt Misen and getting to the shrine when there was only about 5 of us there which was good seeing as how busy it was later in the day.

Loved the food here, man the ramen is great and cheap. Being given water immediately rather than having to ask for it like most places in England makes a change.

Another thing to add whenever we went up to any view points throughout the trip it was always hazy so views could of been better. Anything to look out for in the weather to try avoid this next time or is it just luck?

Laevateinn

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
I'm in Kanazawa right now, wanted to try the conveyer sushi but the queue is literally round the corner!

Guess I'll wait until Kyoto for that.

I'm on day 8 of my 15 day travel and I've already decided I'm coming back. Just need to find out how to book it cheaper next time. Not doing a package deal like this time but individual components.

Get some curry instead!

RandomDazed

Oct 27, 2017
Apart from Google Maps and Google Translate, are there any other must have apps for my trip to Japan?

I'm on iOS.

Anything like CityMapper that works out where you are, takes in consideration walking, bus, train, tube etc , and tells you the best route (and takes out things that aren't working at that time) ?

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
Apart from Google Maps and Google Translate, are there any other must have apps for my trip to Japan?

I'm on iOS.

Anything like CityMapper that works out where you are, takes in consideration walking, bus, train, tube etc , and tells you the best route (and takes out things that aren't working at that time) ?

Hyperdia. Use it and love it.

Fritz

Oct 26, 2017
Hyperdia is Android only iirc

I'm on iOS.

Google Maps does that too.

I am taking a currency converter app and Gurunavi with me.

Fritz

Oct 26, 2017
I believe so. It let's you search and filter restaurants in a certain area/your current Location. I always thought it was relatively hard to tell what establishment is a restaurant and even more so what establishment is a good restaurant. Helped tremendously.

ArmsofSleep

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Washington DC
Hyperdia is on iOS. I used it a ton. It may be listed as "Hyperdia by Voice" but it was totally essential for getting train times and the like. Also train platforms! Basically everytime I needed to plan out a trip in advance, the itinerary option made it super easy to see when exactly trains came/left from where. And also the different route options I could take and their prices (and whether they worked with my JR Pass or not)

RandomDazed

Oct 27, 2017
Hyperdia is on iOS. I used it a ton. It may be listed as "Hyperdia by Voice" but it was totally essential for getting train times and the like. Also train platforms! Basically everytime I needed to plan out a trip in advance, the itinerary option made it super easy to see when exactly trains came/left from where. And also the different route options I could take and their prices (and whether they worked with my JR Pass or not)
shit, i gotta get this.

Fritz

Oct 26, 2017

Thanks! downloading nao

RandomDazed

Oct 27, 2017
That's weird, wasn't the case when I used the app last year.

Maybe it's changed?

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/hyperdia-by-voice/id379001449?mt=8

===30 days Free Trial===
The trial version of the application can be used for free for 30 days, starting from the first usage following installation.

At any time during or after the end of the 30 days trial period, you may purchase a usage coupon to continue using the application and enable the full set of available features.

ArmsofSleep

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Washington DC
Maybe it's changed?

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/hyperdia-by-voice/id379001449?mt=8

===30 days Free Trial===
The trial version of the application can be used for free for 30 days, starting from the first usage following installation.

At any time during or after the end of the 30 days trial period, you may purchase a usage coupon to continue using the application and enable the full set of available features.

Yeah that is odd. I just downloaded it again and got the same message.

Otheradam

Nov 1, 2017
Trying to make a reservation at the pokemon cafe in Tokyo. Does anyone know what the second name slot is asking for?

JVGijwU.png

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017

I'm on iOS.

Google Maps and maybe Google Translate is all you'll need. If you plan on using public Wifi, Japan Free WiFi is a great convenience.

Google already has a built in currency converter btw.

Your name in furigana/hiragana

Use this or something:
http://japanesetransliteration.com

Well, katakana for western names :b Not that it matters anyway.

Niks

Oct 25, 2017
I cannot stress enough how good conbini food is. If you are on a budget this is it for you.

Shokunin

Oct 25, 2017
The city beautiful
Flying back home today. Trip was amazing. We got to do NY Bar at the Park Hyatt last night and we were sitting literally right next to the band playing. Very cool.

I'll try and post some pics after I sort through all 5,000+ of them. :O

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
https://english.kyodonews.net/news/...gn-visitors-to-japan-reach-almost-30-mil.html

The estimated number of foreign visitors to Japan in the fiscal year through March 2018 rose 19.9 percent from a year before to 29.77 million amid an increase in low-cost carrier flights connecting Japan to South Korea and other countries, government data showed Wednesday.

In March alone, the number of foreign visitors to Japan was estimated at 2,607,900, up 18.2 percent from a year earlier and a record high for the month.

The figure for the calendar year through December 2018 is highly likely to top 30 million as the number of monthly visitors has continued to outpace that of the previous year, according to the Japan Tourism Agency.

According to a different set of data released the same day by the agency, spending by foreign tourists to Japan in the January to March period this year grew 17.2 percent from a year earlier to 1.13 trillion yen ($10.5 billion), buoyed by shopping by Chinese and South Korean travelers, whose numbers showed double-digit growth during the period.

Ski resorts attracted tourists from Australia while museums and theaters were popular among travelers from Europe, contributing to the rise in overall spending, the agency said.