• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
Is it me or does the listings for AirBnB for Tokyo seem to have gone down? Any cheaper ones are almost 25-30 out of downtown and the ones close are pretty much the same price as a hotel.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Is it me or does the listings for AirBnB for Tokyo seem to have gone down? Any cheaper ones are almost 25-30 out of downtown and the ones close are pretty much the same price as a hotel.

Many apartments have started adding policies forbidding the use of the premise for AirBnB by tenants. There is such a clause in my rental agreement.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Many apartments have started adding policies forbidding the use of the premise for AirBnB by tenants. There is such a clause in my rental agreement.

All the AirBnB I've been in that were apartments had signs in the elevator and front lobby saying no AirBnB lol. Guess they really mean it now / it wasn't always the manager hosting.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm trying to figure out how to buy our JR Pass. Based on the website, I need to call ANA's agent? I can't buy them online, right?

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
So I'm trying to figure out how to buy our JR Pass. Based on the website, I need to call ANA's agent? I can't buy them online, right?
As of last year it became possible to buy at the Airport or major JR Stations, I think it costs a bit more to buy it that way, but that is an option. I have not experience buying one since I don't qualify.

All the AirBnB I've been in that were apartments had signs in the elevator and front lobby saying no AirBnB lol. Guess they really mean it now / it wasn't always the manager hosting.

A place I was working at a few years back, it was in a mixed residential office building, the 管理人さん asked me to make a sign in English so he could put it up on the bulletin put turn away AirBnB users.

Japan isn't the friendliest place when it comes to services like Lyft or AirBnB, where 'legitimate' industries already have a strong foot hold.

Daitokuji

Oct 27, 2017
The two times I did AirBnB in Japan, one was an internet cafe and the other was a dormitory set up as a hostel. Did the crackdown remove these places or did it remove the AirBnBs where you are actually staying in real people's houses/apartments?

Booking.com is an alternative where you can find cheap places to stay.

If you are in Osaka, I recommend staying in the Shin Imamiya/Doubutsu En Mae area. I lived there for a month and I got a single room for 1300 yen/day.

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
Also since we are travelling with carry-ons only, we want to ship all of our Disney souvenirs back to the states. Anyone know if that's easy enough to do? Is the a shipping locator that will help me plan that?

Go to one of the big post offices and you can get everything done there. Might be a good idea to bring something to stuff the box with if it's fragile things you're shipping though, cause they don't all have free cut up newspapers. Also, don't go late at night cause there's usually long queues then.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
Go to one of the big post offices and you can get everything done there. Might be a good idea to bring something to stuff the box with if it's fragile things you're shipping though, cause they don't all have free cut up newspapers. Also, don't go late at night cause there's usually long queues then.

Noted - thanks!

Minilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
Weird question, as I live in Japan but google search is doing nothing. Does anyone know a good place to buy framed posters/prints etc? Im moving house and need some stuff for the walls. I, not looking for anything specific say, but just want to browse. l I know Tokyo Hands does posters etc and I could get a frame, but was wondering if there was anything else....

Worthintendo

Oct 25, 2017
So in the planning stages for a big trip late next year (owning a house now means its going to take alot longer to save up for it), thinking about going up to Hokkaido for about 5 days after I've finished up with Osaka, Nagoya & Tokyo.

Question though, is 5 days in Hokkaido going to be enough, will be staying in Sapporo but tempted to head right up Cape Soya just to visit the Northern most point and that'll prob be a 2 day trip. Is there much to do in Sapporo itself outside of good food?

mantis

Oct 25, 2017
Weird question, as I live in Japan but google search is doing nothing. Does anyone know a good place to buy framed posters/prints etc? Im moving house and need some stuff for the walls. I, not looking for anything specific say, but just want to browse. l I know Tokyo Hands does posters etc and I could get a frame, but was wondering if there was anything else....

https://www.resetera.com/threads/japan-era-ot-we-all-お箸上手-and-日本語ペラペラ-in-here.1621/

May be the better place to get an answer.

Darth Pinche

Oct 27, 2017
I just ordered our JR Passes! In 3 weeks we'll be in Japan for 2 weeks! So excited! We're doing Tokyo, then Kyoto, then Osaka and them back to Tokyo.

ThreePi

Dec 7, 2017
I just realized I have no idea what hotel I booked in Nagoya. I leave tomorrow and have just been getting my documents in order and I never printed out my reservation info for that hotel, and I can't find the email confirmation either. I'm not sure if I just forgot to complete the reservation or what. But I don't know what hotel it is other than its by Nagoya Station. I'm debating whether to just find another hotel (its only a one night stay) or hold off and hope a reminder/confirmation email comes in the week or so before I'm in Nagoya. Checked my credit card statement, and don't see anything charged, so it wasn't something that I paid in advance.

Worthintendo

Oct 25, 2017
Planning out this trip for next year is going to do my head in on how to make everything work right for timing.

Was originally thinking of doing Hiroshima -> Nagasaki -> Osaka -> Nagoya -> Tokyo -> Sapporo (and Hokkaido in general). But this will mean on my last day I need to train from Sapporo back to Tokyo to catch my flight home which will mean 8 hours on a train and then 8 hours on a flight (before my 5 hour stopover in Singapore). Thinking that's basically going to be a day wasted, would rather Tokyo be the last stop on the trip just to make it less training on the last day and all that.

So possibly change it up to go Nagoya -> Sapporo -> Tokyo but that will either mean about 10 hours on the train to get from Nagoya to Sapporo or possibly catch a flight from Nagoya airport to Sapporo but no what doing domestic flights in Japan is going to be like. Plus wouldn't just be able to use my Rail Pass to save on monies.

Worthintendo

Oct 25, 2017
yeah the more I think about it the more I think flying Nagoya to Sapporo is going to be the best.

Also thinking I may not even need a rail pass this time if I drop out the trips to Hiroshima & Nagasaki (did them last time, want to again but don't need to). The only trips I would need one on are Osaka to Nagoya & Sapporo to Tokyo but even then they won't be worth it.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
Im headed back to Tokyo in Jan and this time Im spending half the trip just focused on eating. So many ramen shops to hit up!

Worthintendo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious to know how one does a trip to Japan that isn't focused on eating, the food is the main reason I want to go back (all my belongings for a good Okonamayaki or Hot Pot right now)

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
Also thinking I may not even need a rail pass this time if I drop out the trips to Hiroshima & Nagasaki (did them last time, want to again but don't need to). The only trips I would need one on are Osaka to Nagoya & Sapporo to Tokyo but even then they won't be worth it.

Sapporo to Tokyo is like 8 hours and costs 27K JPY. It's cheaper and takes less time to fly :P

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
I like catching the train, all the pretty scenery ^_^
Also it depends on how I do the trip, if I do Hiroshima & Nagasaki then will def pick up a 3 weeker.

Well, get a 1 week one at least, and see if you got time for stopping in Hakodate and Aomori on your way down to Tokyo then. Not sure Cape Soya is worth it if you have to do it in 2 days. Try to make it a day trip if possible.

Worthintendo

Oct 25, 2017
Well, get a 1 week one at least, and see if you got time for stopping in Hakodate and Aomori on your way down to Tokyo then. Not sure Cape Soya is worth it if you have to do it in 2 days. Try to make it a day trip if possible.
Looking into it doesn't seem you can do Cape Soya on one day so if this all comes together might have to give that a miss.

Thinking about the actually getting to Sapporo, could be worth heading from Nagoya by train, stop at Sendai for the night and then head up to Sapporo from Sendai the next day just to break it up abit.

Is there anything worth looking at or doing in Sendai that can be done in an afternoon?

Oct 25, 2017
Looking into it doesn't seem you can do Cape Soya on one day so if this all comes together might have to give that a miss.

Thinking about the actually getting to Sapporo, could be worth heading from Nagoya by train, stop at Sendai for the night and then head up to Sapporo from Sendai the next day just to break it up abit.

Is there anything worth looking at or doing in Sendai that can be done in an afternoon?

Sendai is really cool, lots of nice places to eat both around the station and Kokubuncho and a really fun atmosphere.

I really liked the castle, there's also a tourist bus called the Loople which takes you round the major attractions and you can get off at any of them that take your fancy.

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017

It's doable, but you'll only have about 50 minutes at the Cape itself if you use public transport (JR limited express from Sapporo to Wakkanai and then bus till the Cape). Not that there's much there to see anyway though :P

There's also an overnight bus if you want more time there.

Last edited:

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
Alright, need some tips on getting around!

We are traveling from Hilton Tokyo Bay to Royal Park Hotel The Kyoto in Kyoto. I'm trying to find out how to do that using our JR Pass. Any good websites or tips?

Same question for our next "trip" which is from Royal Park Hotel The Kyoto to Hotel Gracery Shinjuku. I know it's a lot of "back and forth", but it works out since we'll be there for 2 weeks.

Also, are there any apps for English speakers that help navigate the train system? We intend to travel around a little here and there and will likely need to take various trains and transfer about.

Worthintendo

Oct 25, 2017

We are traveling from Hilton Tokyo Bay to Royal Park Hotel The Kyoto in Kyoto. I'm trying to find out how to do that using our JR Pass. Any good websites or tips?

Same question for our next "trip" which is from Royal Park Hotel The Kyoto to Hotel Gracery Shinjuku. I know it's a lot of "back and forth", but it works out since we'll be there for 2 weeks.

Also, are there any apps for English speakers that help navigate the train system? We intend to travel around a little here and there and will likely need to take various trains and transfer about.
Hyperdia is good for the trains, but you only pay for the app a month at a time, I Just used the website on my phone and it worked well enough. That said I found Googlemaps good enough pretty much all the time, the only issue with it is it will always go the fastest route which will include the 2 bullet trains the JR Pass can't be used for. As long as you need that in mind you should be fine.

As for a good website for the ins and outs of JR pass, this worked fine for me
https://www.japan-guide.com/railpass/

ThreePi

Dec 7, 2017
For anyone that has visited recently, does the Akihabara Club Sega buildings seem weirdly cleaner than usual? Seems like the walls and floor just don't have that "grunge" I remember.

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017

You can only get as far as Kyoto Station. You'll need to take the bus (or subway or taxi) to your hotel in Kyoto :P

the app has a free month long trail (which I stupidly activated well and truly a month early last trip) but then it wants you to subscribe to for a couple of bucks a month to use it.

On iOS, free except for the JR Pass search on Android.

Rapscallion

Oct 25, 2017
Just spent two days at Tokyo Disney Resort.

DisneySea is spectacular. Definitely lived up to what people have said about it; the theming is on point and it feels unlike any other theme park I've ever been to. I already want to go back. Journey to the Center of the Earth is definitely the most elaborate ride, but I have a soft spot for Sinbad.

Tokyo Disneyland was fun as well, but not all that different from Disneyland CA and Magic Kingdom. Might be better than MK, but definitely not on par with the original. Hunny Hunt was the one standout, but I really enjoyed their take on the Tiki Room and it's always fun to see the Country Bears.

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
https://english.kyodonews.net/news/...eopen-runway-flooded-in-powerful-typhoon.html

The operator of Kansai International Airport, the main international gateway to western Japan, said Thursday it will reopen its runway that had been closed by flooding in a powerful typhoon earlier this month.

The airport in Osaka Prefecture will resume both domestic and international flights using the runway as early as Monday, Kansai Airports said.

The airport has since reopened but only partially, and the number of flights has remained about 20 percent of the pre-typhoon level, as most airlines had been using the flooded No. 1 terminal.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
the website is free, the app has a free month long trail (which I stupidly activated well and truly a month early last trip) but then it wants you to subscribe to for a couple of bucks a month to use it.

I just used the website, it was doable when I used it.

App is still free in my case? Just tried it on Android and worked like always

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like you'll be able to charge SUICA/PASMO/ICOCA/etc cards at 7-Eleven ATMs from October 15th:
https://www.westjr.co.jp/press/article/2018/09/page_13042.html

180913_02_maneydodhp.jpg

180913_03_maneytsdn8.jpg

App is still free in my case? Just tried it on Android and worked like always

It's paid on iOS, free on Android

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a preferred method between bus, subway, or taxi for tourists?

Bus is cheapest and gets you there without any transfers, but it can be crowded as hell.

Subway is slightly more expensive and you'll have to do a transfer, but it's less crowded than the buses.

Taxi is expensive, but you don't have to worry about crowds.

I usually take the bus since it's cheap :P

MisterB_66

Oct 27, 2017
2-9000c.jpg

My dad loves this thing and gets it stamped everywhere he goes, is there a Japanese equivalent? I would love to get it for him as a gift for the small chance he would ever go to Japan.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
2-9000c.jpg

My dad loves this thing and gets it stamped everywhere he goes, is there a Japanese equivalent? I would love to get it for him as a gift for the small chance he would ever go to Japan.

This. You can buy one at many of the Shrines in Kyoto. My latest goshuinchou is from kiyomizudera. Just go to where they are selling omamori, or the ukeduke to get one, they are cheap probably between 1000¥-2000¥ depending on the design.

Deleted member 17630

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Booked an AirBnb in Shinjuku the other day and the owner is asking for my passport information. Is this part of the new laws?

The place doesn't have any reviews, but the owner's other places have great reviews.