• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
Hi again JapanERA,

In addition to my prior asks, I would love advice on unique places in Tokyo that i can comfortably sit at with book or Switch, whether indoor or outdoor. Bonus points if they have good walking/parks/sightseeing nearby, so I can alternate between sensory overload and quiet rumination. No suggestion is too obvious. I just want some places other than my AirBNB to read or game in, and I'm right on the Yamanote Line so I'm happy to train all over.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Hmm

There are quite a few chillout spots if you just want to sit and get some coffee while reading or relaxing gaming. Shibuya's Shelf 67 is quite nice and has a great view. Believe there is a Tsutaya at the bottom, Starbucks half way, then this nice cafe/bookstore at the top. Can go in, grab a drink and chill.

Not too up on relaxing places though sorry, not my forte. Any park can be nice to relax, even bigger ones. Some like the Imperial Palace can be relaxing to walk around and free, though its very large if your circling the whole thing. I'd also recommend walking around various areas not on the main streets, you can find tons of small cafes and what not that are nice usually. Roppongi is great during the day, though not the side going towards Tokyo Tower... its a quiet area with a good number of upper middle class and rich homes/shopping. Walked through there on a sunny monday morning once and loved it. Heck most actual neighborhoods are nice to just stroll through or chill in a park while kids are out at school. Shrines as well are nice to relax at, most without a ton of tourists that is. They are everywhere and free to enter generally. No time limit on just sitting in one at the bench to take a load off.

Can google maps ones around you or recommended -insert- thing to find one that might be interesting.

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
That consumption tax increase incoming:
https://english.kyodonews.net/news/...-go-ahead-with-2019-consumption-tax-hike.html

Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said Monday the Japanese government will raise the consumption tax to 10 percent from the current 8 percent in October next year as planned, after postponing the increase twice due to concerns it would dampen consumer spending and hurt the economy.

Confirming that the schedule remains unchanged in an extraordinary Cabinet meeting, Abe said he will make "all-out efforts and take all measures" to prevent the tax hike from having a negative impact on the economy, according to a summary of his remarks released by the government.

Also, some good news if you're not from one of the visa waiver countries:
https://english.kyodonews.net/news/...c-visa-system-for-tourists-in-april-2020.html

The Japanese government will introduce an electronic system for tourist visa applications in April 2020 in an effort to help achieve its goal of 40 million inbound visitors by that year, government sources said Sunday.

The online system will first be available to Chinese tourists for single-entry visa applications and then to travelers from other countries, the source said.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
Questions I can't find an answer to anywhere.
  • My wife and I love all sorts of Japanese food. But of course, we fully expect to get something we don't love. Is it considered rude in Japan to not finish the food on your plate? I know that sounds like a weird question, but we were told time and time and again in our European travels that it's rude to leave food. I just don't want to be disrespectful to the establishments that we eat at.
  • I've read a little about places that do not welcome tourists. Is there a sign to lookout for to know so we don't go into one of these places?
  • Some of these yakitori and ramen places we want to visit are really small. Are foreigners typically welcome and treated OK here? Same question for small bars or whatever in various strips?
  • Is there some etiquette for shopping in various shops? Like, even a phrase that means "Just looking around" if someone comes up to us? Or are the Japanese less "stalkerish" than shops in the US?

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
  • My wife and I love all sorts of Japanese food. But of course, we fully expect to get something we don't love. Is it considered rude in Japan to not finish the food on your plate? I know that sounds like a weird question, but we were told time and time and again in our European travels that it's rude to leave food. I just don't want to be disrespectful to the establishments that we eat at.
  • I've read a little about places that do not welcome tourists. Is there a sign to lookout for to know so we don't go into one of these places?
  • Some of these yakitori and ramen places we want to visit are really small. Are foreigners typically welcome and treated OK here? Same question for small bars or whatever in various strips?
  • Is there some etiquette for shopping in various shops? Like, even a phrase that means "Just looking around" if someone comes up to us? Or are the Japanese less "stalkerish" than shops in the US?

1. I asked the same over there too after having ordered too much and it's fine. Just be respectful and don't say that this was the worse thing ever :P

2. Yeah they are there but they are rare. These shops often have signs on the door/window like "No foreigners please" but I really really rarely saw them and to answer your next question, more than often you are absolutely welcome everywhere as long as you not rude etc.

4. Dunno I never was asked if I needed help or anything :)

aOlafsson

Oct 27, 2017

For ramen most of the time you'll order from a "vending" machine, and its an eat and get out of there kinda deal. There is pretty much no interaction besides when they take your ticket and give you a bowl of ramen in exchange. With yakitori places it might be a bit harder with language barrier. If places are booked up they might turn you away without being able to explain why, but it most likely is not because you are foreign.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Tbh the lack of konbini might be one of the worst things about leaving Japan lol, I'm addicted

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
I'm trying to determine if the 7-Day JR Pass makes sense for me. We'll be travelling between 3 areas... Tokyo > Takayama > Kyoto > Tokyo

12/19: Arrive in Japan @ Narita Airport, go to Tokyo from here

12/22: Train to Takayama (Shirakawago Village/Hida Folk Village/Sake Distilleries)

12/23: Train to Kyoto

12/25: Train to Tokyo

12/26: Go to airport, fly to Bangkok

Looking at Google Maps, it seems like there are some routes that could use the JR Pass for parts of the trips between the 3 areas but there are other routes we could use. So I'm not sure if ~$255 pass would be ideal for me? Any help here or somewhere to explain this better?

Raw64life

Oct 25, 2017

I'm doing my part by visiting in January next year.

Tbh the lack of konbini might be one of the worst things about leaving Japan lol, I'm addicted

I never looked at USA convenience stores the same way after going to Japan. Straight trash here. Fortunately there are a few konbinis in NYC, although they're still not quite like the ones in Japan. And I've been going to Mitsuwa about once a month to get my fix.

mantis

Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying to determine if the 7-Day JR Pass makes sense for me. We'll be travelling between 3 areas... Tokyo > Takayama > Kyoto > Tokyo

12/19: Arrive in Japan @ Narita Airport, go to Tokyo from here

12/22: Train to Takayama (Shirakawago Village/Hida Folk Village/Sake Distilleries)

12/23: Train to Kyoto

12/25: Train to Tokyo

12/26: Go to airport, fly to Bangkok

Looking at Google Maps, it seems like there are some routes that could use the JR Pass for parts of the trips between the 3 areas but there are other routes we could use. So I'm not sure if ~$255 pass would be ideal for me? Any help here or somewhere to explain this better?

You can use https://www.jrpass.com/farecalculator/ or hyperdia.com (more accurate).

But from a quick look I would say that a 1 week pass would be cheaper than buying each ticket.

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
https://english.kyodonews.net/news/...drop-in-visitors-in-over-5-years-in-sept.html

The number of monthly foreign visitors to Japan dropped for the first time since 2013 in September, the fall coming after a slew of natural disasters including a large earthquake and damaging typhoon, government data showed Tuesday.

The estimated number of foreign visitors totaled 2,159,600 in September, down 5.3 percent from the year before, according to the Japan Tourism Agency.

The figure reflects the impact of a magnitude 6.7 earthquake that rocked Japan's northernmost island prefecture of Hokkaido on Sept. 6, killing more than 40 people and triggering a prefecture-wide blackout, the agency said.

A typhoon that forced the temporary closure of Kansai International Airport in Osaka, the main international gateway by air to the western Japan region, also hit the number of visitors, according to the agency.

Darth Pinche

Oct 27, 2017
I just came back from our 2 week trip and it was amazing! Thanks again for all the wisdom in this thread. I am editing my photos and will post some later this week.
We found the JR Pass super useful and worth it, but we did have the 14 day pass (Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, back to Tokyo). We also used it a lot in Tokyo using the Yamanote line to get around. I found the Pasmo card to be also vital, as it made using all other trains, subways and buses super easy. We also got the Osaka Amazing Pass to see some great places and have unlimited trains and bus use there as well, a bargain for 3300 yen. My wife and I were surprised that we came in under budget after our trip. With airfare included, our whole trip cost us about $2800. That included a nice flight on Singapore, 3 different Air Bnbs and one hotel, JR passes, gifts etc. Japan does not have to be costly at all. We are already planning our next trip back to Japan!

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
I just came back from our 2 week trip and it was amazing! Thanks again for all the wisdom in this thread. I am editing my photos and will post some later this week.
We found the JR Pass super useful and worth it, but we did have the 14 day pass (Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, back to Tokyo). We also used it a lot in Tokyo using the Yamanote line to get around. I found the Pasmo card to be also vital, as it made using all other trains, subways and buses super easy. We also got the Osaka Amazing Pass to see some great places and have unlimited trains and bus use there as well, a bargain for 3300 yen. My wife and I were surprised that we came in under budget after our trip. With airfare included, our whole trip cost us about $2800. That included a nice flight on Singapore, 3 different Air Bnbs and one hotel, JR passes, gifts etc. Japan does not have to be costly at all. We are already planning our next trip back to Japan!

I need to look into this Pasmo card. Do you have any details on it?

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017

1. Like anywhere in a restaurant or home, of course its best to clear your plate! But no, your not being rude or offensive to leave food on the plate. Japanese people do it all the time. Its not something you need to address or bring up either. Though any staff thoughts of "man those people sure did waste a lot of food" is their own haha. Of course you will be paying for whatever you order finished/touched or not.

2. These don't exist for normal people. Don't worry. Unless your most likely doing something illegal or trying to go into some shady place you will never see these. Don't worry about it. If you do see one, go the other way lol, they are up to no good almost guaranteed... or they had some jerk foreign person in there and just can't be bothered to deal with them ever again. But like I said, your chances of seeing these are essentially 0. More likely to see it in a country like South Korea than Japan.

3. Yup most of these shops are tiny. If you got money and the ability to order (get your ticket from the machine/point at the menu ect) and got the money to pay, they won't turn you down obviously. Restaurant owners, especially ramen and yakitori owners are probably some of the most friendly and personable people in the country (kinda have to be given how many customers they meet daily) Same for bars. They are also the best sources for info on recommendations for things to go/places to see.

That said, of course some owners are dicks... can't help that lol.

4. There isn't really anything special, just like shopping in most countries. If you want something take it to the register lol. People almost guaranteed won't come up to you in the shop out of nowhere. Depending where your at though you will need to pull a staffer over to maybe unlock something or get out of a case ect obviously. More specialized shops like boutiques ect might come over to ask what your looking for or something, since they have low customer numbers and need to make that contact with potential buyers obviously.

Seriously though, don't worry so much. Japan is a friendly place and all the stories about "an old woman bumped into me on the crowded train omg racism" are pretty easy to notice over the millions of others who live and visit here without incident and don't talk about it. Just be normal and have fun, the people around you will too lol.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
Cool thanks!

Japan is the least worried we have been about travel ever. Germany and Italy were far more overwhelming (particularly Italy since we spent a bulk of our time in a small Italian village). I just really prefer to have a baseline understanding of the culture before I go somewhere to make sure I show the utmost respect for those around me!

aCid

Aug 18, 2018
Canada
I'll be visiting Japan during Red Dead Redemption 2's release and thought it might be neat to bring back a Japanese copy. Thing is, I can barely read kanji. So I was just wondering if Japanese PS4 games from AAA companies generally have English (voice/ subtitles) included? Also, if anyone would happen to know if RDR2 would have this specifically that would be greatly appreciated as well.

Sorry if this question is slightly better suited for another thread but I couldn't find one...

Anyways, can't wait for the trip!

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
https://english.kyodonews.net/news/...pens-made-to-order-kitkat-store-in-osaka.html

Japan is known for its ever-growing list of unique KitKat flavors, but now Nestle Japan Ltd. is taking its premium version of the chocolate bar to the next level -- a new specialty shop in downtown Osaka offering customers made-to-order creations that are chilled at the spot by liquid nitrogen.

Customers can pick from five types of chocolate and choose three toppings from a selection of nine, such as dried mango, pineapple and marshmallow. The KitKat bar is then chilled at minus 196 C by having liquid nitrogen poured over it.

Prices start from 702 yen ($6) a bar, depending on the choice of chocolate. Customers can also choose to have all nine toppings on their chocolate bar for 2,214 yen, according to Nestle.

Who here is going? ;p

MisterB_66

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still debating if I want my trip to be Tokyo only or split it with Osaka/Kyoto and this is certainly a point in the Osaka column.

samred

Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
I did a bunch of great wandering and hiking around Kyoto the past 2.5 days, so I am gonna switch back to tech/gaming things this weekend in Tokyo. I would love specific suggestions for arcades and places to play games, something beyond fifty zillion Taito Game Centers. What's awesome and isn't just a cash-in café with familiar characters on the walls? (Super Potato and Manadrake might get repeat visits, as well, but other beloved game/nerd shop recommendations are appreciated, as well.)

Thannnnnks JapanERA!!

ninnanuam

Nov 24, 2017
Im in Singapore waiting for my flight to haneda. I am fucking wrecked. There was a screaming kicking kid behind me on the way here and I've been waiting here 3 hours already. I'm so desperate for sleep I tried to get an upgrade but all the business seats are full.

Also there is a returning class trip, there are like a hundred school kids in their uniforms waiting with me. I hope they are quiet.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Im in Singapore waiting for my flight to haneda. I am fucking wrecked. There was a screaming kicking kid behind me on the way here and I've been waiting here 3 hours already. I'm so desperate for sleep I tried to get an upgrade but all the business seats are full.

Also there is a returning class trip, there are like a hundred school kids in their uniforms waiting with me. I hope they are quiet.

Couldn't get something done with the kicking? Otherwise for everything else Ohropax is godly. I don't hear a thing when I use them, but well kicks are something else... Hope you get some rest!

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm doing some final reviews of our major transportation runs.

Hilton Tokyo Bay -> Royal Park Hotel Kyoto Sanjo
Keiyo Line (JR) -> Shinkansen (JR) -> Karasuma Line (Kyoto subway, non JR?) -> Tozai Line (JR)

Royal Park Hotel Kyoto Sanjo -> Hotel Gracery Shinjuku
Get to Kyoto station (bus?) -> Shinkansen (JR) -> Chuo Line (JR)

My question is re: Kyoto subway and buses in Kyoto. It seems like we will need to purchase an ICOCA card. This seems to let us bus and subway around Kyoto (like going from Royal Park to Fushimi Inari via the Keihan Main Line). Am I correct with this?

Also, are the stops and lines written in English, or will I need to recognize the kanji for where we're going?

I know that the ICOCA card is cash only, but is the Pasmo/Suica cash or can it be charged via card?

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
In Kyoto the bus lines should have romaji on them (English letters) as well as Kanji. Most station attendants can do very basic English skills as well to help if your lost. Not sure about the card specifically since I only used coins when there for the bus though. Some cities have different cards for buses/trains/JR line trains.

I'll be visiting Japan during Red Dead Redemption 2's release and thought it might be neat to bring back a Japanese copy. Thing is, I can barely read kanji. So I was just wondering if Japanese PS4 games from AAA companies generally have English (voice/ subtitles) included? Also, if anyone would happen to know if RDR2 would have this specifically that would be greatly appreciated as well.

Sorry if this question is slightly better suited for another thread but I couldn't find one...

Anyways, can't wait for the trip!

If its a global release, there is a good chance it will have English on it, either decided by the console region settings or the option for it. Some games you can buy here in Japan for modern consoles automatically use their Japanese/English version depending on the console settings. That said there isn't really a way to tell most times until it comes out and someone tries it. Unless you can get a hold of someone who worked on it. Community managers on twitter and what not rarely know details like this.

samred

Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
Suica worked for me on all Kyoto subways, trains, and buses. Recharge it with cash. I have gotten a very good exchange rate from my USA ATM card at 7-11s. (7-11 is everywhere, and its menus make clear that you're deducting from your checking balance, not a credit card one.)

Last edited:

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
nicoga3000 in Kyoto there's also an option of buying a 1 day unlimited bus ride ticket.
It's only worth it if you have 3 or more bus rides though, costs about ~600 yen

Darth Pinche

Oct 27, 2017
Pasmo worked for me in Kyoto on both bus and subways, but I think cash is the only way to recharge it. BTW, I am pretty sure there is a JR train that stops right at Fushimi Inari. That place was very cool, but beware of mosquitoes, I got bitten like 50 times on my legs. Not kidding.
I was just in Osaka and missed on the custom Kit Kats. But we did go to the Kit Kat Cafe in Tokyo Ginza!

samred

Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
BTW, I am pretty sure there is a JR train that stops right at Fushimi Inari. That place was very cool, but beware of mosquitoes, I got bitten like 50 times on my legs. Not kidding.

Roger that on both counts. I recommend the "harder" path when the trail diverges. if you're athletic at all, give it a shot. , but it IS a surprisingly sweat-inducing path. Much quieter, some cool waterfall shrines. From a friend: "If you want to try it, stay on the normal path until it forks and turns into two parallel tunnels of ⛩. That ends in a little opening, then the main train turns left. Shortly after rejoining the main trail you can turn right. You probably won't see more than a handful of people on this route until you reach the top of the mountain."

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Roger that on both counts. I recommend the "harder" path when the trail diverges. if you're athletic at all, give it a shot. , but it IS a surprisingly sweat-inducing path. Much quieter, some cool waterfall shrines. From a friend: "If you want to try it, stay on the normal path until it forks and turns into two parallel tunnels of ⛩. That ends in a little opening, then the main train turns left. Shortly after rejoining the main trail you can turn right. You probably won't see more than a handful of people on this route until you reach the top of the mountain."

Lord. Last year when I visited Inari Shrine when I was at the half point where both paths split. I thought "Hey that on the left looks cooler and I will look at that" and saw a cat at all these stones. Went a bit further and saw a big power (?) pol or something like where you had an awesome view of Kyoto and somebody was climbing that thing up lol. Well I went even further and saw the signs for dangerous wild boars and still went that way.

Down some stairs, through some nature, everything was awesome and then suddenly.... I had to pee. I didn't know where I was and I just went and went and really got lost and didn't find the main path anymore and I didn't want to pee just in the woods (felt ashamed doing that in Japan? I dunno I didn't lol). Well after some time and it was getting really dark I fortunately found the main trail again, sweat buckets and reached the top.

As soon as I took the other part I was down at the main plateau again after only a few minutes which fucked with me a bit haha

aCid

Aug 18, 2018
Canada
In Kyoto the bus lines should have romaji on them (English letters) as well as Kanji. Most station attendants can do very basic English skills as well to help if your lost. Not sure about the card specifically since I only used coins when there for the bus though. Some cities have different cards for buses/trains/JR line trains.

If its a global release, there is a good chance it will have English on it, either decided by the console region settings or the option for it. Some games you can buy here in Japan for modern consoles automatically use their Japanese/English version depending on the console settings. That said there isn't really a way to tell most times until it comes out and someone tries it. Unless you can get a hold of someone who worked on it. Community managers on twitter and what not rarely know details like this.

Got it. Thanks! Looking forward to the trip. First time I'll be heading to Hokkaido. But first, got a nice room waiting at Sankan Inn in Sendai. Just booked one night but still... should be nice to take a dip in the Akiu onsen and take in the scenery too! Anyone happen to have any experiences to share from spending time there?

Darth Pinche

Oct 27, 2017
Hotel Gracery Shinjuku
I was just there and took this photo. I am a major Godzilla fan so this was a dream come true for me! This is on the 8th floor lobby.
ybzWf7Pl.jpg

36DqgXVl.jpg

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
That's awesome! We booked it because location and rates were solid, and because obviously Godzilla. Any cool stuff right around there worth checking out from your recent experience?

Darth Pinche

Oct 27, 2017
That whole street has a ton of cool shops and restaurants too. On the hour, Godzilla roars and shoots steam out of his mouth. I didn't see it at night, but his mouth lights up, so it should be great! They pump the Godzilla music and his thunderous steps down the whole street!

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
That's awesome! We booked it because location and rates were solid, and because obviously Godzilla. Any cool stuff right around there worth checking out from your recent experience?
Golden Gai!
It's a small area with few alleys packed with really small bars. Basically it's THE place for bar hopping around Tokyo as far as I know.
Everyone there is friendly and the size of the bars basically "force" you to talk to those around you and you can always meet new people and have some good drunken time.
It's about 5 minute walk from this hotel

Tier

Oct 25, 2017
Kansas
I'm trying to book a flight around last week of March 2019 or first week of April and will stay there for about 18-19 days. So, I was just curious for people in the US how much did you guys have to pay for your tickets?

ninnanuam

Nov 24, 2017
I'm finishing my time in Tokyo for this part of my trip. Didn't get to everything as always. I have a few days at the end tho.

I got out to Sangenjaya to look at persona 5 places. Shimokitazawa for bear pond coffee then checked out masakado's shrine and went to tokyo tower.

So many halloween events and Ltd food things going on. At familymart they have a draw box when you buy stuff. Unsure about what triggers it tbh. Done it twice now. won a free beer and some jelly bears.

Best bonus was being upgraded at new otani, they put me in a jr suite. The view is great I can see over the gardens to shinjuku and its is huge. it has a walk in closet, two living rooms and a bar and two toilets. It feels a bit wasted on just one person.

ninnanuam

Nov 24, 2017
I have a pretty good view of fuji from my bed right now. Kicking myself I don't have anything better than a camera phone.

samred

Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
I'll be in osaka in 2.5 hours for a ridic kit kat experience. Any recommendations for how to spend the rest of my osaka day before going to a friend's place in kyoto tonight?

Laevateinn

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
If you're only in Osaka for one day and looking for an easy way to spend it, Namba and Dotonbori are easy recommendations. Osaka's a great city so you'll probably find something interesting no matter where you end up.