• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
Successful flight to NRT. 13 hours is quite the trip, but we made it. Its about 4 PM. Didn't sleep a ton on the flight, so I'm a BIT drained, but fortunately, we don't have a ton to do this evening. Tokyo Disneyland for the next few days!

Macca

Oct 25, 2017
Going to Tokyo, Osaka and Hiroshima during November. What sort of weather can I expect? Do I need a jacket or does a thicker sweater suffice?

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
I'll have a story at Ars about those Kit Kats. Thanks to MikeHattsu for the heads up.

Link it here when you post it then ;p

Going to Tokyo, Osaka and Hiroshima during November. What sort of weather can I expect? Do I need a jacket or does a thicker sweater suffice?

Probably best to bring a light jacket. Then you can take it off during the daytime when it's warmer and put it on during the morning/evenings when it's colder.

ninnanuam

Nov 24, 2017
Anyone going to either of the Kyoto festivals today? I'm waiting for the Jidai one right now but the distance out of town for the fire carrying one is putting me off.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Just got back from Nagoya, pretty interesting city if you find yourself over that way between Tokyo and Osaka. Would not go out of my way to visit it though unless there really is something special going on though! Good food and the people are pretty nice as well. Visually pretty imo at night. Walking down the main streets at night / around Nagoya castle was pretty peaceful compared to other large cities.

It finally happened though guys! Got my "no foreigners" cherry popped ironically after saying it in this thread, you wont see it normally. Granted we knew the place did it, but we went to try it out anyway to see if that place really was as scandalous as everyone says. Everyone said it was pretty shit inside anyway and the whole no foreigner thing was really mysterious but since were kinda losers who like going into terrible run down places, we just had to try. Instantly got turned away lol.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
The costumes in Disney are on fucking point. Holy shit. Like, we have all seen cosplay pictures, right? But these girls are just wow.

Also, everyone is so damn nice here. And a simple "Sumimasen" goes miles with strangers.

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
2015.jpg

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Hey guys, my wife and I are visiting Japan for the first time next year towards the end of March.
We haven't booked anything specific yet but we know for sure that our trip will end in Tokyo where we would like to stay an additional two nights to spend a day at Disneyland.
We're not really sure where to stay for the last two days. I'd like to stay as close to Disneyland as possible because I'm not used to public transport and with the added language barrier I'm feeling overwhelmed already...
I'd feel much better if I could rely on Google Maps but not sure if I'll have access to internet. What are my options for getting internet access in Japan? Are there any options that I can set up before even going to Japan? I'd like to make sure I have everything in order before even getting there.

Darth Pinche

Oct 27, 2017
We have T mobile and during our trip, we added their international plan for $15 or $20 just for one month and we had great mobile internet during our time in Japan. It made using Google maps our go to for finding our way around.

Theonik

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it's worth checking what your provider offers. Also worth checking your phone's radio will work in Japan too if you go that route I guess. (you can check on the specs and then look at what carriers in different parts of Japan are using)

When I was in Japan last my provider was doing 1E per day for access to my home plan so I got basically all you can eat data in Japan.

ninnanuam

Nov 24, 2017
Today is the first time I've messed up a train. The JR Pass makes it so easy just to roll up and get on a train I stopped paying attention. Ended up going the wrong way for 20 mins or so.

The pass also made it easy to fix tho. So no real damage done.

I think I've been sticking to my itinary too much anyway.

Oh does anyone know if I buy a phone in Japan, is it unlocked?

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
Just to verify...I can use Passmo/Suica in Kyoto for busses and subway, right? I can't really tell from my research.

Also, our bullet train trip to Kyoto from Tokyo...Is there any rule about bringing snacks or drinks on? And reserving seats at the station with a JR Pass doesn't cost anything, right?

Deleted member 7156

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh does anyone know if I buy a phone in Japan, is it unlocked?

Some phones are Sim Free, but usually you'd be able to buy them cheaper on your country of origin.
The market for sim free phones in Japan isn't particularly good so selection and price for them isn't too great.

You also need to worry to see if the phone bands would work back in your country.

Honestly, it's not worth the hassle.

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
Just to verify...I can use Passmo/Suica in Kyoto for busses and subway, right? I can't really tell from my research.

Also, our bullet train trip to Kyoto from Tokyo...Is there any rule about bringing snacks or drinks on? And reserving seats at the station with a JR Pass doesn't cost anything, right?

Yes, but it's usually cheaper to buy a bus pass. Only need to take 3 buses ina day for the bus pass to pay off.

Can bring all the snacks and drinks you want on the Shinkansen. Buy an ekiben at the station to eat!

Reserving seats doesn't cost anything, no. But try to book a few days in advance if you want yo be sure to get a reserved seat if you're going during a high travel period.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, but it's usually cheaper to buy a bus pass. Only need to take 3 buses ina day for the bus pass to pay off.

Can bring all the snacks and drinks you want on the Shinkansen. Buy an ekiben at the station to eat!

Reserving seats doesn't cost anything, no. But try to book a few days in advance if you want yo be sure to get a reserved seat if you're going during a high travel period.

Thanks!

We are travelling tomorrow at, well, whenever we decide to go. So we have no idea how that will go haha.

ninnanuam

Nov 24, 2017
Some phones are Sim Free, but usually you'd be able to buy them cheaper on your country of origin.
The market for sim free phones in Japan isn't particularly good so selection and price for them isn't too great.

You also need to worry to see if the phone bands would work back in your country.

Honestly, it's not worth the hassle.

Fair enough. Just shattered the screen on the phone I'm using. I'll just deal with it.

Raw64life

Oct 25, 2017
Booked my Osaka hotel for my Japan trip in January. Went on Google maps to see what was in the immediate area, and on the same block there's a James Brown themed yakiniku place called Sex Machine. This is why I love Japan.

NinjaHound

Nov 5, 2017
Hi all, I need to book tickets for the Shinkansen from Kyoto to Tokyo on 30 December. I understand its a busy period at this time and had some advice there was an app I could purchase tickets from but the app only shows one month in advance.

Is there any other way to secure tickets earlier?
Thanks

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
Woo! Time to go to Kyoto!

Got E and D seats per your suggestion! Boarding shortly...

Last edited:

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
Getting around Kyoto station was tough. Taking a bus with our bags was tough (we only travel with carry on luggage, but still).

But we are HERE!!! Time to find some food. And a beer.

Darth Pinche

Oct 27, 2017
When my wife and I were in Japan, we traveled with back backpacks instead of luggage mainly for those transitions. Traveling light and not having to wheel bags up and down stairs and buses/train made life easier. Hope you enjoy Kyoto! It was amazing and the food there is fantastic. My fav was a tiny ramen place that was near our Air BnB that was decorated with Wile E Coyote and Spiderman stuff! Aside from that, the local mushroom and esgargot ramen was one of the most amazing meals I've ever had. It was called Nakano .Here is the website : http://menbistronakano.net/index.html It is near the Nishiki Market area.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
Anyone have jiro ramen recommendations for Tokyo or Kyoto? I've been to Maccho in Osaka, but won't be going there on this trip next month.

Getting around Kyoto station was tough. Taking a bus with our bags was tough (we only travel with carry on luggage, but still).

But we are HERE!!! Time to find some food. And a beer.

If you're there for the weekend, hit up Kyoto Brewing Company. They're only open to the public on Saturday and Sunday but the beer is supposed to be excellent.

https://kyotobrewing.com

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
Went to Round 1 in Kyoto last night. My wife was tired and sore, so she stayed back at the hotel while I went our. Made some friends playing jubeat. Apparantly Americans are not normally good at bemani games so some Japanese young adults started talking to me. We had a good time.

Kirroyal88

Oct 25, 2018
Hi guys, been a long time lurker on this thread.
Went to Japan twice in the last 3 years and i have to say this thread have been very helpful.

Next year on April im planning to visit again to watch concert (Dir en grey) do you guys know any sites where i can purchase ticket from abroad?
Sites like ticket.pia and lawson-tike requires japanese credit card and address, and agency sites like ticketmaster does not sell them from my experience before.

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
Next year on April im planning to visit again to watch concert (Dir en grey) do you guys know any sites where i can purchase ticket from abroad?

If you know somebody who lives in Japan, then get them to buy tickets for you. If not then you need to look into places that can buy tickets for you, like:
https://www.japanconcerttickets.com/
http://www.bridge.jpn.com/services/tickets
https://www.govoyagin.com/activitie...ket-to-your-favorite-music-concert-japan/3114

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
Looking over my list of games to pick up while in Japan in a few weeks and it's only City Shrouded in Shadows, Power Pro Baseball 2018 and the Dragon Quest/Final Fantasy Itadaki Street for PS4. Crazy how almost everything gets localized now.

Darth Pinche

Oct 27, 2017
Great article! So funny to hear that you brought back so much Kit Kat! The main thing we brought back was Kit Kat too. The sake and banana flavors were our favorites.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Phew so I wonder if the Japanese police are gonna crack down on Halloween in Shibuya now, this last weekend was pretty nuts again apparently. This time with at least one car flipped lol.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Been here now for over a week again and I still love everything. Weather is amazing too currently compared to Germany lol

Today for some Okonomiyaki in Hiroshima :) I love how easy everything is.

Phew so I wonder if the Japanese police are gonna crack down on Halloween in Shibuya now, this last weekend was pretty nuts again apparently. This time with at least one car flipped lol.

Hehe there is a video of that on Shibuyameltdown lol

NinjaHound

Nov 5, 2017
Thanks for the advice re the shinkansen, I have set a reminder to book tickets a month but it sounds like it shouldn't be a problem.

I am after some general advice. I'll be staying in Osaka, Kyoto and Tokyo. Is there any cool video game stuff I should check out, aside from the arcades everywhere and Super Potato. Is VR zone worth checking out?

Also is there a gig guide or something? Would love to see a concert while i'm there.
Cheers

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
So Shibuya on Halloween will be pretty nuts, huh?

Any tips to not die? Lol

I would not expect many people out on actual Halloween day lol. The weekend before/closest to Halloween is the night to go out. I'm sure some places might have events going though since theres always packed places in Tokyo on random week nights.

jamsy

Oct 27, 2017
So I'm finally going back to Japan.

I was there for a summer semester abroad back in college (in 2006) and had the best time. I've been meaning to go back ever since but things got in the way and I've traveled to many other places since (and lived abroad for a while). But in any case, my buddy finally has time off, I have enough PTO days to do this and found some very affordable tickets. So we're going.

I am leaving the day before Thanksgiving and will be there for about 11 days (11/22-12/2) with a friend of mine. He has never been. My Japanese was pretty good back in 2006, and while I'm sure it's very rusty at the moment, I don't think I'll have much trouble getting around. I mostly spent my time in/around Kyoto back in 2006, although I did visit Tokyo for a few days, Nagoya for a day, Osaka once or twice, and maybe a couple other smaller towns.

I am flying in and out of KIX. I don't have an itinerary yet but I was thinking of getting a JR pass, going to Tokyo for like 3 days and spending the rest of the time around Kansai. I figure we'd make Kyoto our homebase (cause I really love that city) and we could take day trips from there, if necessary.

So I was hoping for some suggestions on places to go/things to do. Anything from the very obvious to the more obscure. What are the must sees/dos (especially considering the season)? Any and all advice will be highly appreciated.

BTW is there something going on in Kyoto the weekend of the 23-25th? There's like no lodging options left in the entire city….

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
It's autumn, Kyoto especially will be booked solid. Everyone wants to see the autumn leaves and Kyoto is basically one of the most beautiful areas for it. Though it is -kinda- late in the season that time, most areas will be good. Think I visited around that time last year. It's also the last weekend of November, so a lot of places like temples and what not will be doing their last autumn/leaves events before changing to winter ones.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
Just booked my trip for Jan. Any opinions on a day trip to Nikko? From reading I think I might skip the temples and head to the lake and waterfall if I want to make it back to Tokyo on the last train. Input would be appreciated!